You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Early Roman Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable, requested: Jupiters Chosen
posted 31 May 2006 13:14 EDT (US)   
Hello all. Here is my creation and personal tactic I use when playing the early Roman factions. Its pretty basic, but very effective as it allows you to provide multiple lines of troops.

Faction: Roman. But will work for others.
Type: Field Battle.
Situation: Offense & Defense
Info: Relitively simple unit count. Easy to gather and control. Easy to make changes where needed!

Troops needed:
4 Roman Skirmashers (I forget their name)
6 Triari
6 Hastati
3 Principes
1 General

If you dont have that many troops, just make the same formation with what you have. Make it smaller if you have to.

1. Attack with Skirmashers first. With your army close behind! As the diagram below shows.

2. Next, hopefully the enemy will be chasing after your Skirmashers, so let them get close so you can charge your first line.

^ As the enemy is chasing your Skirmashers, and they are really close to your first Triari line, PAUSE the game! Select each Triari unit at a time, giving them specific targets of the enemy units who were chasing your Skirmashers. Un-PAUSE, and let the throw their spears and charge.

3. As they commence in battle, PAUSE GAME AGAIN!

4. NOW, One at a time, select the troops of your second line, and give them the same order. CHARGE! ATTACK!

5. Now the main part of the battle should be comencing. Now is the time to try and perform flanking maneouvers with your 6 Hastati still waiting. Try and bring them as close to the enemy's left & right flanks as possible!

Woo.. That took a long time....

I think that just about covers it, if I missed something, let me know.

Enjoy
Unde

Replies:
posted 31 May 2006 14:45 EDT (US)     1 / 22  
Nice, I like it. Seems to be a bit like mine, keep reserves and over power the enemy.

Also, are you enjoying RTR?

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 31 May 2006 15:22 EDT (US)     2 / 22  
RTR is awesome man! I love the units, and the map being that big is a huge improvement. Plus all the settlements on the various islands and such...Awesome!

The only question I have is this

I updated to the new music mod on the RTR site, but I had started my new campaign just before I loaded it. It seems as though the new music mod has no effect. Is it because I had already started a campaign? And the new music mod wont take affect until I stat another???

Unde

posted 31 May 2006 15:48 EDT (US)     3 / 22  
Unde this formation is good at first sight, but I must confess it isn't as good as your other formations.(Thus far they've all been great)

Triarii do terrible against swords. They even lose to Princepes, every time. For this reason they are poor for forming a main battle line, they are best used against cavalry. But cavalry avoid triarii at all costs. They want to use their cavalry to flank. If you put your Triarii on your flanks then the enemy cavalry will have to go through your triarii, something they can't do (succesfully at least). It is a shame to waist them to Swordsmen or axemen or Iberian Infantry. It is also not even a good idea to use them against Libyan Spearmen, even though they would beat the Libyans with few casualties, princeps could also beat Libyan Spearmen with even fewer casualties, and hastati amazingly can beat Libyans as well (swords beats spears usually).
With a pre-marius Roman Legion the 4 lines or steps usually works best. Velites, Hastati, Princepes, then Triarii.

I have not tryed the formation, but from expierience know Triarii on a front line doesn't work. I shall try it anyways against the Gauls and Carthage and delete my whole post if it turns out the formation does work.

No matter what I applaud your work, very detailed and well layed out. Keep 'em coming!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 31 May 2006 16:04 EDT (US)     4 / 22  

Quote:

'Early Roman Battle Tactic

This is middle game tactic

An early game tactic would be somthing like this... (Single Player)

You need- Hastani, prefrebly about 5 to hold the main line, and 2-3 more to flank from the woods. Obviusly, the numbers are flexible to the numbers of your enemy.
2 Veletis
General+cavalry.
Note- is meant to be on the defencive

Explination- Your basic Cannae-type stratagy. Draw up your line using 5 hastani. Put a further 3 in the woods to the left. Put your Veletis on the right in the long grass, as they can hide in it.
Put your units on 'fire at will' and defensive for the main ancher line, and turn skirmish off for the veletis (and fire at will off, if you want).
Wait until the enemy charges your line. Your velites and hiding hastani sould seemingly pop up out of nowhere, chuck a volly of Pilum at the flanks, come racing in. If it doesn't roout them, then run your cavalry round the back and charge from the back. Volia!

That's early game

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 31 May 2006 16:08 EDT (US)     5 / 22  
regarding skirmishers = velites

good job unde, love the strategies

posted 31 May 2006 16:24 EDT (US)     6 / 22  
Very early Roman campaign tactic would be different. You wont have the ability to build Triarii for instance.

You could also be expanding fast so wont have full stack armies.

Velites, Hastati, General and importantly Equites. Those are the tropps you will start a Roman Imperial campaign with.

How you use it depends on the enemy. Against the AI I would have cavalry kill their cavalry and missile troops, run the enemy infantry ragged, fire off the missiles, and only then isolate and mob in mellee(if needed).

posted 31 May 2006 16:33 EDT (US)     7 / 22  
In RTR this would work perfectly, with improved triarii and the ability to build em the first turn.

But in RTW, the others are right.

I think it may be because you staretd the campaign early. But I am glad you enjoy it, and I know what you mean about the Islands, invading sardinia and corsica is so fun!

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 31 May 2006 16:43 EDT (US)     8 / 22  
TWF :: No no, thats cool man! Most of my expertise if anyone wants to call it that, lol, comes from Phalanx Factions.

The plain and simple reason why I put Triari on the front line is because I was not aware of the info you provided. I had forgotton if you will. So would it be proper to then put the Hastati on the front, and have the Trairi behind, simply reversing the two! ??

EOJ :: What do you mean this is mid game? These are all early troops, at least in RTR! So in essence, it is early! If it is because of the shere size of the army I drew, then just minimize it to what you actually have in your game, as I stated ^. Or did I miss understand?

ccsantos :: Thank you very much! Nice to hear, especially when these take a long time.

Severous :: This is RTR, and you can build Triari in the beginning. I gues I should have mentioned that.

Unde

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 05-31-2006 @ 04:44 PM).]

posted 31 May 2006 16:44 EDT (US)     9 / 22  
I love fighting for sicily in RTR- so much more chaotic
I've got control of the island but there's still some Greek and Cathage troops prowling around.

Yes, well, refer to my stratagy if you want an early early game strat . Soon I'll do a post of Roman stratagys through the game

EDIT: undefeatable: I meant that it's a mid game strat for RTW vanilla, Not RTR.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 06-01-2006 @ 03:29 AM).]

posted 31 May 2006 16:48 EDT (US)     10 / 22  
misplacedgeneral :: Ya, I should have mentioned this is for RTR. oops.

FOR EVERYONE!

This formation is still good! Just remove the Triari, and add in whatever you like. Seriously, this tactic is really diverse, abling you to change it here and there. But the general idea of its shape should stay the same.

Next time I will make these to accompany both RTW and RTR!

Unde

posted 31 May 2006 16:59 EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Or you could just say it's for RTR.
I understand forgetting stuff about factions you havn't been for a while, I could barely remember to play after a month off (I dedicated a month to modding and skinning and forums and writing 'The Last Stand' story).
Then I started play multiplayer and learned gulps of information. Having just joined a clan, I'm learning more than ever now. These guys are listing advice that really makes all the difference.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 31 May 2006 17:49 EDT (US)     12 / 22  
i really don't think this strategy is very good...

-As said triarii don't fare well against sword armed infantry

-If you order your secound line to fire they pila at the enemy while the first is engaged, you will most likely hit you own units in the back. (which causes quite massive loss of moral)

-Your formation isn't protected from enemy flanking force. Even the AI know how to flank, and with all your troops engaged in fighting you cannnot stop them.

What you should do:

First skirmishers focus on one weak unit. If it routes it will have devastating effeect on the rest of the army.

Then engage the first line (which should be hastatii) after they've thrown their pila. When they are starting to get tired withdraw them and charge you second line of fresh prinicipes. They should be able to rout the enemy infantry, if not, withddraw them when they are tired and send in the now fresh first line again.

Keep one or two units of triarii on the flanks to protect them from cavalry or light infantry charges. Triarii can handle most cav units and can stil hold up light infantry without routing or taking too heavy losses.

You don't really need a flanking force as romans, unless you play on hard difficulty, since your main line infantry is so strong and can grind through most non-phallanx infantry.

If you need a flanking force add a few cavalry units, or for some real fun use arcani or gladiators! (they actually not that strong, but is so fun to see a group of gladiators charge into the rear of an enemy unit.)

"The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses."
-Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

English is not my first language, so please excuse me.

posted 01 June 2006 08:20 EDT (US)     13 / 22  
^ Actually, as mentioned, my RTW is now RTR, and you can build Triari in the beginning!

I see your point with pillas in the back, but cant you just turn that off? You dont really need a second pilla attack, the second wave is merely an overload of melee fighters! And what do you mean they could flank? What are you talking about? By the time the first wave hits, and I mentioned switching from Triari to Hastati or whatever you want, you will know if they are going to try and flank you!

And you have 2 more lines waiting. Even if you send in the second line, you have your third, which you can hold off for a minute. If your worried about flankers. This tactic does work, and is very effective.

Unde

posted 01 June 2006 14:42 EDT (US)     14 / 22  
I often use pila troops against troops engaged already, it rarely causes friendly fire. Also, the second line can usually discharge their Pila before contact is made.

posted 01 June 2006 16:14 EDT (US)     15 / 22  
The early romans use hastati in front line, principes at 2nd and triarii at 3rd. Triarii are very bad for an first line, but are excelent as reserves. "It had come to the triarii" was an Roman expression that means great trouble or an desesperate situation.

"An foul knows no fear. An hero shoes no Fear"
--------------------------------------------------
A(\^/)_
|(O.o|*|
|(> <|_| BUNNY!: Ready for conquer the world!

[This message has been edited by LusitanCenturion (edited 06-01-2006 @ 04:16 PM).]

posted 01 June 2006 16:33 EDT (US)     16 / 22  
Cool. Thanx for the info! I had actually retracted the Triari as the front line, and said to switch them with the Hastati, as I had made a mistake with my idea. Just forgot which was which.

Here is the new and improved version.

posted 01 June 2006 16:55 EDT (US)     17 / 22  
Lusitan, it wasn't because the Triarii were bad fighters, it was because the Romans did not feel like having their most expirienced troops impaled.

Also, at the Battle of Telamon, they were deployed out front.

posted 02 June 2006 15:38 EDT (US)     18 / 22  
posted 02 June 2006 16:44 EDT (US)     19 / 22  
NOt really, I knew about those two

Undefeatable: Talk about self-promotion!
I'll try doing my 'Roman tactics through the ages' thread then do the linking one.

posted 02 June 2006 18:02 EDT (US)     20 / 22  
EOJ :: Lol, thought I might as well since they will go out of page soon. Thought some newbs might find it useful. Self-promotion! lol, I guess, thats pretty funny.

I think I'll put yours and TWF's on too. Oh, and misplacedgeneral's!

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 06-02-2006 @ 06:04 PM).]

posted 03 June 2006 04:31 EDT (US)     21 / 22  
Meh.
And stop changing your sig! My eyes hurt!

posted 05 June 2006 09:45 EDT (US)     22 / 22  
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Early Roman Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable, requested: Jupiters Chosen
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames