Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Roman Republic -VS- Selucid Empire BattlePic Thread: By Unde
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 October 2006 20:38 EDT (US)   
Hello everyone! Been a super long time since I did one of these. But here it is, my longest yet, and perhaps too long. But today I was playing my RTR Roman Campaign, and a huge Selucid army attacked one of my huge armies, and I thought of all of you. So here you go, imo, a huge battle.

I forgot to get the first pic, of the numbers of men per army, but they had 3800+, and I had 3200+, so I was a little outnumbered, and they were stacked with Phalanx. I was worried!

Rome: Total Realism
VH/VH

Here is a pic of my formation from the back right corner. You can see the Thracian Soldiers hiding in the grass, and the Principes ahead, proudly waiting.

An upper view of my tight formation.

Roman Principes! Here ya go people who dont get to see RTR units that much.

Another shot of the Thracian Infantry.

These are Mercenary Hoplites. They stand behind the Principes, and between the Thracian's. In the middle. They are not that strong, especially against these Selucid's coming up, so I use them for reinforcement to hold the main line. Thus being able to hopefully flank it later.

Ah, the good old Creten Archers! Powerfull, but sadly wont do that much damage against the Selucids armour.

TotalWarFanatic designed these bad boys! This pic if for you man, a proud and powerful addition to my Roman Legions. The post Marius Roman Archer, curtousy of TotalWarFanatic, the Artist!

One of my Generals looking onward at the massive Selucid Invasion about to hit the front line.

These photos are of the Enemy army marching toward mine.

Here Im attempting to widen my lines with the Hoplites. If they can hold their ground for a bit, I can run the Thracian Infantry to their flanks!

Giving my Thracian's the order to run toward the Enemy's flank.

Lines are almost together!

My Principes are launching their pilums at the Seluciuds!

Here you can see the Thracians running to the far sides. Getting enough room to swing in around the back.

Another look at more arrows and pilums getting thrown at the Enemy. But, they still run like crazy bastards!

Thracians in striking position. I shall run them to the backs of the main line.

Hoplites and Principes beginning to wage war. The fighting has begun!

Well, my main line is holding, but look at that clump of Phalanx they have hitting me at my centre.

"Soldiers of Rome, You MUST hold the line!"

I've decided that I must use my General's to help flank. The enemy is too strong to fight one on one, and my Thracians are too little in number.

My Generals are now charging into their first target with hopes of getting them to rout.

On the left side, I managed to also get one of the Thracian units to flank an enemy.

I did the same on the other side, but they got flanked soon after themselves, and I have no other relief for them. They will have to hopefully hold until I can get more units over, if more should become available!

Fortune! My General's have routed one enemy unit. Now I have an extra unit to help flank. Im growing confident.

Setting my Generals up for another charge!

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Routed their General unit!!! This is looking good. I think I shall easily win now.

CHARGE AGAIN!!!!!!!

Ouch, took some casualties on that last one.

So now Im charging them to where the Thracians were flanked. They held the whole time.

One of my Principe units is routing at the centre.

Its time for an all out charge! I need all the troops I can muster, so I charged my Creten Archers who were out of ammo!

I charged my Generals there as well, although they are hurting badly.

They're starting to rout now!!! Yeah, thats great, and look, my reinforcements who were casually late. Lol, the battle is pretty much already over you morons!

This unit is free and Im running them to the flank of more enemy units.

Fighting, and skillfull flanking!

Surrounded, and routing!

More flanking preperation.

This would be pretty much it. Stay tuned for death pictures! RATED R

DEATH DEATH DEATH and results.

Well, I know it was really long, but I hope you enjoyed.

Unde

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 10-09-2006 @ 08:44 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09 October 2006 20:50 EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Those are some really impressive pics, Unde. Thanks for sharing.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
posted 09 October 2006 20:53 EDT (US)     2 / 36  
...I love you Unde. That kept me entertained for a while...

*Runs off to play XGM*

)(=-=-=-=-={|//////////////////////////////////////////)
Looking to join a designing group. Enough said.
posted 10 October 2006 01:02 EDT (US)     3 / 36  
yes great battle thanks for sharing it
posted 10 October 2006 02:31 EDT (US)     4 / 36  
lol I love this thread=). We should battle it out some day. But I warn you- *boasts* I am the greatest RTW strategist ever *boasts*.
posted 10 October 2006 02:34 EDT (US)     5 / 36  
That was good
You going to do more of that stuff?

I've gone back to vanilla, I' afraid- I' planning to do a saxon BI campain and a Julii campain before M2TW takes me

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 10 October 2006 03:12 EDT (US)     6 / 36  
Wow,

That AI is really unimpressive. Why are all its units all over the map. Some of them are perpendicular to your formation.

Based on that army compostion of the AI it seems that RTR AI is just as useless as the one in RTW.

Unde, I meant to ask you mate. There is no replay button for Campaign battles. So that must mean that you are taking all those screenshots as the battle actually goes on, right? Thats a lot of PAUSE key strokes, for my blood.

But its good you do that, mate. When I am in the lobby and I see a play who struggles with even basic ideas, I try to send them here. Your posts are good for beginners, before they get to MP.

Anti

"The road to IMMORTALITY is covered with blood and bones of those who stood in our way. You see the carnage on those distant battlefields - in the forests of Germania, the deserts of Africa, the mountains of Armenia, and the sands of Babylon - where our armies have triumphed and became IMMORTAL." - Antigonus[IMMORTALS]
posted 13 October 2006 08:38 EDT (US)     7 / 36  
Nice work, Unde

_.,-=~+"^'`amateur_idiot ... lol`'^"+~=-,._
You cant beat an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
You see, my fellow designers, the laser satellites were unnecess ary! Their minds are ours now, oh yessssss.... -CaptainFishpants
Russia has freedom of speech, its just the freedom after the speech you worry about- Anon
Eagles might soar through the sky, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines
I reject reality and subsitute my own
posted 13 October 2006 13:10 EDT (US)     8 / 36  
Thanks everyone, Im glad you enjoyed it, although it was pretty long.

Quote:

Those are some really impressive pics, Unde. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks bud, and no problem.

Quote:

...I love you Unde. That kept me entertained for a while...
*Runs off to play XGM*

Lol, the Darkside is strong with this one. XGM???

Quote:

That was good
You going to do more of that stuff?
I've gone back to vanilla, I' afraid- I' planning to do a saxon BI campain and a Julii campain before M2TW takes me

Yeah, I'll do more, but only cool or epic battles. One's where there is like 5000 - 10000 men on screan. Although, 10000 men would take me a long time to do a battle pic. lol, that would be hugem but not impossible.

Dude, I would love to see a BI battle pic thread! Saxon's kick ass man! (voice from Starsky & Hutch) " DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!"

Quote:

That AI is really unimpressive. Why are all its units all over the map. Some of them are perpendicular to your formation.

Key point here, AI is never actualy artificially inteligent! lol

Quote:

Unde, I meant to ask you mate. There is no replay button for Campaign battles. So that must mean that you are taking all those screenshots as the battle actually goes on, right? Thats a lot of PAUSE key strokes, for my blood.

Lol, I know, I have no life. But yes, I have to pause and screenshot, or just screenshot it when Im playing. Its hard to do, extremely time consuming, and takes away from me watching the field. But, I can manage now, so its all good.

Quote:

lol I love this thread=). We should battle it out some day. But I warn you- *boasts*

Lol, you would probably kick my ass. If there is still strategy involved in MP, then I might be fine, but if its just another MP trick mastering thing, then I'd get smoked. I'd have to put an original RTW on my system as my RTR is modded. And I have no idea how to do that?

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 10-13-2006 @ 01:12 PM).]

posted 13 October 2006 16:54 EDT (US)     9 / 36  
You have attacked my fellow Greeks... Prepare for an endless flood of Seleucid Soldiers and may Deathstroke take your life!

Lol. To bad I cant set up a fight where you could fight my Grand Seleucid Army at it fighting peak under the 10 star General Archilouchus of the Eagles. (I just know I butchered his name)

Spartans do not ask how many but where they are.
Leonidas II of Sparta
posted 13 October 2006 17:40 EDT (US)     10 / 36  
No real need for revenge, he already took quite a beating.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein
posted 13 October 2006 17:46 EDT (US)     11 / 36  
Greek : Ya that would be cool. Matching up campaign armies!

lmao : Ouch.

posted 26 October 2006 11:47 EDT (US)     12 / 36  
posted 26 October 2006 14:48 EDT (US)     13 / 36  
Just read it Unde. Wowwwwwwww. That's all I got to say. Yes and one more thing is that the largest amount of troops in one screen?

Can't wait for more. Byeeeee.

(Runs off to go on date)

posted 26 October 2006 15:44 EDT (US)     14 / 36  
Not my largest ever, but there is a lot of men, yes, one of my largest. Once I had my army, 3000+, my reinforcement army 3000+, and 3 enemy armies, all 1800+. There was like nearly 10,000 men on the screen. I didnt know how to do battlepic at that time though.
posted 26 October 2006 16:36 EDT (US)     15 / 36  
Nice post Unde'. Wish more people would have a go at something like that.

I cringe at the thought of letting any phalanx unit march up to my troops. Maybe if I have a phalanx or pike unit.

posted 27 October 2006 09:59 EDT (US)     16 / 36  
Whys that? If your main line can hold for a bit, then you can easily flank them. What do you do?
posted 27 October 2006 12:02 EDT (US)     17 / 36  
Jesus, Unde.
1) You had to change your sig. Again.
2) You had to bump it after an absence

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 27 October 2006 13:22 EDT (US)     18 / 36  
Lol, sorry bud. But, I kinda liked having the links in it.

And since Im a little more active again, Im going to go check out your Macedonian Campaign.

Bump!

posted 27 October 2006 14:50 EDT (US)     19 / 36  
Quote: "What do you do?" (Phalanx troops approaching)

Run away. Phalanx cant keep up so turn away to reform their line. As they turn their backs on my missile troops I shoot.

posted 27 October 2006 14:52 EDT (US)     20 / 36  
You lost that many men Unde.

And you claim yourself to be undefeatable, the bloody Gauls would defeat you.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 27 October 2006 17:37 EDT (US)     21 / 36  
Unde where have you Been all my life? wow i havent seen you for forever. of course i havent been here for for ever either.

Also Great story an pics.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander

[This message has been edited by Leonadas_IV (edited 10-27-2006 @ 05:53 PM).]

posted 27 October 2006 19:19 EDT (US)     22 / 36  
Severous : Interesting. I shall try it, although my tactic rarely sustains that much damage. I like yours, and I use a lot of missile troops, so, it could be awesome.

misplaced : Haha It wasnt that bad. I faced the Selucid Empire head on, come on, give some credit.

Quote:

Unde where have you Been all my life? wow i havent seen you for forever. of course i havent been here for for ever either.
Also Great story and pics.

Thanks man. I've been chillin. Work is busy, life is busy, but I've foundmy time to come here again, so.... Glad yo enjoyed, you should do one!

Unde

posted 27 October 2006 22:28 EDT (US)     23 / 36  
Busy with life, I can respect that glad to see you again.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander
posted 27 October 2006 23:01 EDT (US)     24 / 36  
Hey your back! I thought you where going to write more of your stories?

Spartans do not ask how many but where they are.
Leonidas II of Sparta
posted 28 October 2006 15:30 EDT (US)     25 / 36  
No credit given, you lost close to a third of your men.

A pesky Gaulish *****-monger would serve better as general than you!

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Roman Republic -VS- Selucid Empire BattlePic Thread: By Unde
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames