Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Damn the eastern factions
posted 23 December 2005 18:38 EDT (US)   
I am playing the Seleucid campaign, and I am at war with all four of my eastern neighbors. Egypt is being crushed (I took Sidon and Jerusalem) but they still spit out large armies at a rapid rate. Parthia has been severely crippled when I took their largest city (the one east of Seleucia) but they still have a large army, containing their starting cataphracts. That army is roaming in the ex-rebel territories to my south.

Armenia keeps sending tiny, piecemeal forces to attack Hatra (because my Hatra garrison is equally tiny) but I keep driving them off, and I can't take the fight to Armenian soil because I'm devoting all my energy to conquering Egypt and Parthia. Pontus tried to take Tarsus and that extreme western city (forgot the name) but both times they were beaten off, and I am currently gathering an army to invade Pontus.

Anyway, here's the problem. All four eastern factions have an extreme amount of missile troops. At least half of every army I meet is made up of them. And my armies, made up mostly of hoplites and levy pikemen (hey, it's early in the game), are taking quite a beating. I don't have time to make my own archers and at this stage I can only make militia and Greek cavalry, both of which suck. The only good cavalry I can get are chariots and elephants, and occasionally the Bedouin (or was it Arab?) cavalry, and even those are vulnerable to missiles.

So here's the question. How the hell do you kill those guys who throw stuff at you?

Replies:
posted 24 December 2005 01:12 EDT (US)     1 / 11  
posted 24 December 2005 11:33 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Its virtually impossible to kill cav. archers unless you hit them from two sides. Granted, the computer may be stupid enough to do otherwise and drive them into your forces, but theoretically. Otherwise, its relatively easy to kill foot ranged units with a cav....a good charge of 2 divisions should rout them instantly.

“A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi to come back -- but they are gone. We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you.”---Marian Wright Edelman
posted 24 December 2005 16:22 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Well it seems you have quite a situation on your hands. Parthia roams around in the desert waiting to attack you when you are weak, Egypt continues to send out thousands of troops to halt your advance into their lands, Pontus is trying to take your western settlements, and Armenia is harrassing you with small units of soldiers. You my friend are surrounded by enimies and that is what will make this hard for you.

based on what your telling me it seems that the future battle scenes will be somewhere in modern day Turkey and near the Nile.

What I think you should do is stop taking the offense on everyone. Time ot focus on what you have now. Take you armies and spread them across several of the hot spots on the map. Build up garrisons in the towns that are in the hot spots so that you can eventually take away your outside armies. Build more military buildings in some of your more secure towns and begin gathering your soldiers for a push south. Egypt seems to be your biggest threat right now so I suggest dealing with them first.

Right now you have them in a panic. They are spitting out untrained and unexperianced troops like crazy. Your advanced armies should be able to eventually overwhelm these attacks and start to push farther into their homelands. Take all of Nile and halt there. Do not go further. Secure the southern region by building things that will help your economy and happiness levels. Once they are quite secure Take your armies east and destroy the roaming Partians.

After your southern campaign is done you should being preparing for a Northern capaign into Pontus held lands.

Defeat archers with cavalry. Trap them in corners of the map and slaughter them.

posted 25 December 2005 19:31 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
I took your advice into consideration, Gothren. I'm doing pretty well.

I also found another excellent solution: mercenaries. None of my units are very competent, and the Seleucids always make lots of money. So, by hiring Cretans and Rhodians, I cover my missile troop area. Arab/Bedouin cavalry, with elephants and chariots, are my cavalry. And mercenary hoplites are stronger than militia hoplites and levy pikemen, and they will serve me well, and it won't be long before I get to make phalanx pikemen. My armies are actually strong now.

posted 26 December 2005 02:58 EDT (US)     5 / 11  
I see you have a h7ll of problem so let me help you out. Parthias archer crzy. Id advise you to make a ceasefire with parthia before it gets ugly.As for the question. Rely on cavalry to take care of those missle units.
posted 26 December 2005 15:46 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Regarding your problem with cav archers there is only one solution I think. You need archers and high ground, if avaible, and then you need light cavalry. The enemy cav. archers will circle you and fire at your troops which is quite all right because you archers hit the too. At some point he will get close and after circling your troops his men will be tired, now you send forth your light cav and watch them ride down his archer cavalry.

Because his cav archers are "tired" or "very tired" you will have no problem riding him down with fresh cavalry troops. In this case cavalry archers will do fine, as they can shoot at the fleeing cavalry as they prepare to engage in close combat.

I have experienced that this strategy is the most effective. You will simply loose way too many men by trapping their cavalry in one side of the map.

posted 27 December 2005 20:46 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Also, based on another thread I saw, I think maybe wardogs do well against horse archers? They can't be attacked, and they will stay there until either they or their target is down. Shame that the Greeks can't make wardogs....

I just used my Cretans to bring down the horse archers.

Anyway, my situation is pretty secure now. Parthia has been swept aside, I am striking Armenia's unguarded east flank, taking Phraaspa. I have a 3/4 stack army invading Pontus, and just took their southern city, and am advancing on their capital. As for my south, I took Palmyra, Petra, Bostra, Sidon, Jerusalem, and Salamis. I also captured Memphis--a major blow to Egypt's power and pride. They damn well deserved it.

posted 27 December 2005 23:05 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
*snickers* Good for you! Can you post a screenshot? I love watching Egypt get pwned!
posted 29 December 2005 09:58 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
lol, unfortunately, I already wiped out Egypt, so I can't show a pic of them getting pwned. I'm also close to killing Armenia (they have 1 province left) and Pontus (with 2 provinces). Parthia is no threat, their only remaining territory is the one in the far north, and it is currently being attacked by the Scythians.
posted 31 December 2005 10:42 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
When you play with the Seleucids, the trick is: Quickly attack the Egyptians and drive them back to Sina and then attack and wipe out the Parthians. In the start they only have Eastern Infantry which is useless against the phalanx. Then things become easy.
posted 31 December 2005 13:06 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
The East is just a cauldron of warfare. Just wait until macedon and Rome get interested....

Crusade! Our brothers in the East need out swords to subdue the Infidel! The Saracen defiles the Sepulchre and is at the gates of the Roman emperor!. Ride! Ride ye holy soldiers to Jerusalem! Byzantium calls for aid...Christ and the Virgin weep at the blood of martyrs spilled on holy pilgrimages! Crusade! -Medieval 2: Total War
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Damn the eastern factions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames