Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Campfires and Signal Beacons
posted 08-01-07 01:16 EST (US)   
Hey all, before I take on the laborious task of yet another very difficult tutorial I wanted your honest feedback fellow Strongholders

I am sure you are all familiar with the 7-year Fire Trick. If not, please reread the thread before answering.

http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=3095&f=4,,30,all&st=20

I ask this because whether or not this merits another tutorial depends on whether YOU all feel enough progress has been made to move this one into the realm of GREAT Trick!

You will note one of the first posts in the old thread is Sulis who brought up two wonderful concept uses:

"As you have no doubt played around with this idea, do you think it is possible to use this trick to create camp fires, beacons and other 'smaller' scale permafire? Having small camp fires would add something special to small bandit camps, and beacons (I use the term very loosely) or signal fires could be a neat little trick!"

I was very intrigued with this, who wouldn't be? At the time alas, I had a bulky, unwieldily trick that's only saving grace was that it worked.

Having tinkered with this incessantly ever since, here is the progress in a nut shell:

Former versions produced between a 9 x 9 tile and 1 x 3 tile No Build zone.

New version produces a single unusable tile.

This is an unlit campfire showing that all tiles can be terrain modulated or built upon (note pitch) except the sole center tile. View is not flattened. This is all you see of the woodcutters hut now.

Strictly offensive/defensive weapon usage, the largest of the old versions had the following DEADLY effect.

New version is more efficient, far more useful being so much smaller and, as seen below, nearly as lethal. A much better weapon in my opinion.

Other than the 9 x 9 wheat farm version, all other earlier versions either had an intermittent unemployed sign, depending on when the woodcutter was burning to death, or a constant sleeping industry icon floating above the fire. If you chose the latter, than your map could not have ANY woodcutters at all, very inconvenient.

Here, I am very pleased to announce I have ELIMINATED THIS PROBLEM New version has neither. Woodcutter is still fully funtional so the intermittent unemployed sign is never seen. If you wish your map to still have other woodcutters, using this trick in a map will only cost you one peasant per fire. Change you mind? single tile is now deletable IN GAME! Although tile will still remain unusable, you will no longer be penalized the poorer by the loss of a peasant.

Campfire

Finally, and most important, no old version had better than 7 years of life. Every version had 3.6 years of fire sprites that made even a 1 x 3 tile fire VERY volatile. A small tile sized fire like the 1 x 3 version had a total life span of only 5 years as was noted in the old thread. That meant the fire lasted only 1 and a half years as useful eye candy. No where near long enough for even most sieges.

New version has 4 years of fire sprite free life as seen in the picture above and in the PIC following.

Signal Beacon

So let me know what you think, Has the fire trick risen like the Phoenix?

UU

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 08-01-2007 @ 02:02 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-01-07 03:17 EST (US)     1 / 5  
We better not lose these URLs. You never know when you might take a sudden urge to include one of these tricks in a map.

Maybe A section of "UnikUnok's Magic eraser tricks threads URLs" could be added to the Design Compendium Thread?
posted 08-01-07 11:03 EST (US)     2 / 5  
nice trick...can it be used in an active scenario or would this strictly be for eye-candy type of map?

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14
posted 08-01-07 13:53 EST (US)     3 / 5  
I love it! The tricks you have shown us recently still prove that the game holds something new for all of us to enjoy!
posted 08-02-07 03:19 EST (US)     4 / 5  
Trick can be used in any SHI scenario. Also, as I wrote above :

"using this trick in a map will only cost you one peasant per fire. Change you mind? single tile is now deletable IN GAME! Although tile will still remain unusable, you will no longer be penalized the poorer by the loss of a peasant."

So, other than the loss of one tile it is not even permanent.

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah
posted 09-12-07 03:34 EST (US)     5 / 5  
I think I'm going to use this new 7 year fire in my new map, as furnaces!

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 09-12-2007 @ 03:34 AM).]

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Campfires and Signal Beacons
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames