Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: the Designer's Tavern III -- ASK QUESTIONS HERE
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 21  Next Page »
posted 07-08-10 07:24 AM CT (US)   

Welcome to the Designer's Tavern! After switching owners once before, the tavern is now in my, Lord Basse's hands. Established by SonicShadow in 2005 and taken over by Matt LiVecchi in 2009, the tavern is a place for the SD&M community to sit down, relax and have a sip of an imaginary pint of ale. This is the place for general discussion on designing and modding; talk about whatever you want as long as it's related to scenario design, downloads in the Blacksmith, mods and such things. If you want to say something totally unrelated to SD&M, Splash Splash is a fine place to go to instead.

Seminars_on_Designing_and_Modding

Have a new discovery you want to share with the world? A design trick, a good way to design a waterfall? Perhaps you feel the need to address what you think is a problem with designing? Contact me via email or post a reply with the article! It doesn't have to be something brand new, but it shouldn't be something of common knowledge. Like "A Tutorial on the Issue of Placing Trees on your Map". Write a paragraph or three, add a screenshot and send it off, and I'll make sure it gets up here.

Current seminar:

How to make a good cave entrance, by CarolKarine

For all vanilla designers, I have an almost perfect cave design (there is one flaw - it's only workable in cutscenes.)

First you put a bunch of rocks in a "U" shape, facing you. Example.

Second use triggers (as this is a test, there are no conditions) to create map revealers 4 tiles from the farthest inside layer of rock.

Third add a unit of yours (or another map revealer) some distance in front of the U of rocks, (or if a map revealer, 3-4 tiles in front)

Fourth - add eye candy. (terrain mixing, trees, plants, objects, whatever, but they cannot influence the line of sight. Example

I was lazy with the eyecandy as it doesn't matter, and if you see this before there are links to the photos, hold it. they'll be up in about 30 minutes. I'll edit it.

Now to explain the flaw - as I'm sure some of you have noticed by now, The effect obtained only works if you haven't cheated, (marco polo) or if you don't move. (This is because it relies on you not being able to see the inside of the cave - which is the unexplored part.) I am including this in my first (finished) campaign, which should be out sometime around... christmas? don't hold me to that.

Playtesters and Other Requests:

Feel free to ask here, I will add your request to the topic post if it doesn't get fulfilled quickly.

Tavern Staff:
Owner - Lord Basse
Head of the Board - rofl
Janitor - Scud

"Hot" Barmaids:
Pears

Menu:
Whole roasted boar
Grilled Ribs
Spam
Vegetable Vegetarian Soup

Drinks:
Glass of ale
Pint of ale
Bucket of ale
Tub of ale
Cider
Coffee

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 08-20-2011 @ 05:59 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-08-10 07:29 AM CT (US)     1 / 716  
Allow me to begin.

How the world are you supposed to beat The Swallowed Realm part one? It crashes at the docks, it crashes at random when you visit certain parts of the map, it crashes when you try to save the game, and now it crashes when I try to load the game! Gah! How many people actually beat this without first throwing their computer out the window?

And yes I know I'm a hypocrite for complaining about this, seeing how much Gwyndlegard kept crashing during the testng stages. But at least there you knew where and when it crashed.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-08-2010 @ 07:49 AM).]

posted 07-08-10 08:05 AM CT (US)     2 / 716  
Yay, it's back!

*orders beer*
posted 07-08-10 09:00 AM CT (US)     3 / 716  
Hmmmmmm....I'' have a glass of cider and a rack of Iron Boar ribs.

And may I suggest, the first "*Hot* Barmaid" to be Pears.

joshua4missions

[This message has been edited by joshua4missions (edited 07-08-2010 @ 09:02 AM).]

posted 07-08-10 09:19 AM CT (US)     4 / 716  
Whatever happened to the old tavern?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 07-08-10 09:23 AM CT (US)     5 / 716  
The first one was archived; the second one just sunk, but you could still post in it.
posted 07-08-10 10:54 AM CT (US)     6 / 716  
posted 07-08-10 11:37 AM CT (US)     7 / 716  
some Vegetarian Soup please.
can the unit mods from games like rise of nations/Knights of honor/celtic kings etc. be used in this game?
posted 07-08-10 12:42 PM CT (US)     8 / 716  
Ha, I'm soooo in that picture. (Only thing that's missing is my girlfriend that would be around )

Also, huray again!
I'd like a fresh Pint o' Ale please ^^

Retired, old and senile.

Thread Destroyer of April 09 - Popeychops
I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro
posted 07-08-10 12:57 PM CT (US)     9 / 716  
You're kidding me right, that's not you Guthan, that's me.

I'll take a Tub 'o' Ale, with fresh Javelina Steaks, grilled to perfection and lightly salted.

Host of Current Campaigns and Scenarios - Volume 6
Pround member of Black Forest Studios
Creator of: Jengar's Quest: rated 3.9
Working on: GuardianTrilogy ~25% Done
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
"I'm slowly falling to pieces, and I know only one can put me back together, yet he seems to be letting me fall apart, I just pray that his plan is worth it. I know it will be, but its easy to say it, much harder to live it." - sadly, Me
posted 07-08-10 01:08 PM CT (US)     10 / 716  
I would like some pie *... mmmmm pie....*
posted 07-08-10 01:52 PM CT (US)     11 / 716  
How the world are you supposed to beat The Swallowed Realm part one? It crashes at the docks, it crashes at random when you visit certain parts of the map, it crashes when you try to save the game, and now it crashes when I try to load the game! Gah! How many people actually beat this without first throwing their computer out the window?
Yeah, I tried to play it once, but the constant random crashing was too much for me so I quit it. It seemed like it would have been cool if it had worked.

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List
posted 07-08-10 01:58 PM CT (US)     12 / 716  
ha, fine. Jecon, you go stand there alone in that picture, I'll just be in the room upstairs in the tavern, having some 'private' time, if you know what I mean

EDIT: typo

Retired, old and senile.

I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro

[This message has been edited by Guthan (edited 07-09-2010 @ 05:58 AM).]

posted 07-08-10 05:28 PM CT (US)     13 / 716  
*hands out food and drinks*
To prevent this sinking I think you should sticky it
Nah. Not every useful thread needs to be stickied. If enough people find it useful it'll be kept on the first page anyway.
can the unit mods from games like rise of nations/Knights of honor/celtic kings etc. be used in this game?
If you make an AoK mod with graphics from those games, sure. But I can't see that a mod for one of those games would work on AoK.
Yeah, I tried to play it once, but the constant random crashing was too much for me so I quit it. It seemed like it would have been cool if it had worked
It seemed quite promising up 'til the crashes started. Obviously the map design wasn't the best with ice and palm trees mixed and flowers everywhere, but since it was made ten years ago I cut it a lot of slack. The music and the atmosphere are still solid after all these years. It's a pity about the constant grammar and spelling mistakes though, apart for the crashes that's what annoyed me most about the scenario.

Oh well, I guess I'll just check the triggerwork to see how it ends, then I'll begin on part 2.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-08-2010 @ 05:30 PM).]

posted 07-08-10 08:41 PM CT (US)     14 / 716  
And may I suggest, the first "*Hot* Barmaid" to be Pears
Haha omg how did you know I was going to say that?
I read it and i scrolled down to reply and saw my name saying i should be the bar maid

Alright guys who wants a hot Aussie barmaid?!?

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
posted 07-08-10 10:17 PM CT (US)     15 / 716  

If you make an AoK mod with graphics from those games, sure. But I can't see that a mod for one of those games would work on AoK.
ok cool im gonna try that with KoH that game had some wicked castles
posted 07-09-10 01:31 AM CT (US)     16 / 716  
Ok then guys the first question of bussiness is...

How do i get units to walk in a formation?
I have read it before somewhere but i forgot and i thought with the opening of the tavern this would be a chance to ask plz help

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
posted 07-09-10 02:17 AM CT (US)     17 / 716  
@Pears

Use the patrol trigger instead of tasking. Before you do it though, make sure the player whose units you're trying to patrol is selected under the units tab.

~ White Light on the Black Sky ~ -- ~ 1st Place (tied) of 4, 2012 Cinematic Scenario Competition ~ [4.7]
~ A Cold Winter's Day ~ -- ~ 2nd Place of 16, 2009 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2009 ~ [4.7]
~ The Mole ~ -- ~ 3rd Place of 15, 2012 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2012 ~ [4.4]
posted 07-09-10 05:35 AM CT (US)     18 / 716  
Do I have to place the units in AOK:TS? cause the all walk in there only little seperate unit groups and then they get all muddled up by each other
also there are big gaps inbetween each other
and what do you mean set it to the player? there isnt any player thing like in change object attack and task object just
Set object and Set location

posted 07-09-10 05:41 AM CT (US)     19 / 716  
Select the player the units belong to under Units, the tab-thingy where you put objects on the map, then go to the triggers, add a patrol effect, drag a box or double-click the units that should patrol (they MUST be selected in the same effect), and then set location. Et voilà, done.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-09-10 05:48 PM CT (US)     20 / 716  
Oh well, I guess I'll just check the triggerwork to see how it ends, then I'll begin on part 2.
I played part 2 first and then I played the others. In my opinion, it is the best of the three. I think I didn't encounter any crashes in the scen.

Scenarios:
Divine War (rated 4.4)
Phoenix trailer (rated 3.8)
Proud Member of Black Forest Studios

It`s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
posted 07-09-10 08:11 PM CT (US)     21 / 716  
I'm almost 100% sure that this is impossible but I'm going to ask this anyway (if only for the sake of keeping this tavern busy): is there any way to make trebuchets auto attack? Or, is there any way to make a unit switch between weapons without modding the trebuchet?

If any of you data experts know of a solution I would be most grateful.

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List

[This message has been edited by Courtjester1 (edited 07-09-2010 @ 08:17 PM).]

posted 07-09-10 09:27 PM CT (US)     22 / 716  
Thank you Lord Basse
Now I can continue on with my little game

posted 07-10-10 05:04 PM CT (US)     23 / 716  
No problem.
I played part 2 first and then I played the others. In my opinion, it is the best of the three. I think I didn't encounter any crashes in the scen.
I sure hope there aren't any, because I hear The Swallowed Realm is supposed to be a really good series and I never played it before.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-10-10 07:07 PM CT (US)     24 / 716  
Hi I'm basically new around here and I'm having a little trouble with a scenario. Lord Basse directed me here to this topic. In the scenario "Brelda the Hun ch. 1" I am having a problem with Padre Teross. The problem is, he is a weird field of fire type thing. It's almost like it is a mod or something but I don't have any mods that I know of, I am almost positive. I tried installing the "Ghosts mod" though that came with the scenario but that didn't work. When he becomes under my command I'm not able to move him at all. Also something that I noticed, if I am hurt he will heal me and it shows a regular monk healing me, but then after I'm fully healed it goes back to the burning field of fire type thing. I'm not sure how else to explain it besides that. I would post a couple screenshots however I'm not sure how else to take them besides Print Screen, and when I do that and paste it into Paint, it turns out in black, red, and purple colors. I don't know whats up with that. Any help is appreciated, I got myself pretty far into this scenario and really want to complete it but can't go on because of this.

Also one last thing, I first noticed this "field of fire" when I started playing the scenario, "The Prophecy." The Imam and the monks in front of the Great Mosque are all these "fields of fire" as well, it was kind of bothering me but it didn't effect me much because they weren't under my command.
posted 07-10-10 07:22 PM CT (US)     25 / 716  
to take screenshots without that problem download fraps
www.fraps.com
you can take video too

-illiterate/Donnieboy
posted 07-10-10 07:26 PM CT (US)     26 / 716  
I'm not sure how else to take them besides Print Screen, and when I do that and paste it into Paint, it turns out in black, red, and purple colors
No need to use Paint, they end up done and ready in the Screenshots folder in the AoK main folder.

Still nothing I can help about the other problem though.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-10-10 07:51 PM CT (US)     27 / 716  
Try doing a complete uninstall of AoK, and then reinstalling it.

My Unit List
posted 07-10-10 08:31 PM CT (US)     28 / 716  
I'm pretty new around here, and since this seems like the place to ask questions like this... I was wondering if there is a way to create elevated water in the scenario editor?
posted 07-10-10 08:58 PM CT (US)     29 / 716  
Indeed there is! You can check out the forum FAQ if you have a lot of questions. If you don't find any answers, feel free to ask.
Q72. How do I get sailable water on to elevated land?
To get sail-able water on to elevation, you first have to make an area of water (just on flat ground), and a hill. Next, map-copy (if you don't know how to map-copy, check Q6) a part of the water on to the elevation. This may take a few tries, as you might accidentally cover the elevation completely. Once you have a little bit of water on a slope, simply copy it to wherever you want.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-10-2010 @ 09:00 PM).]

posted 07-11-10 00:13 AM CT (US)     30 / 716  
Glass of ale and Grilled Ribs and make it spicy :P
is there a way to add the changing attributes of a sheep or turkey to a unit?eg. if you add the changing attribute to a villager he should convert to the player that is closest to him.
posted 07-11-10 01:01 AM CT (US)     31 / 716  
Try doing a complete uninstall of AoK, and then reinstalling it.
Oh yeah I forgot to add that I have already tried doing that, and it still doesn't work. Would it be because it's in the save file?

Also, here is a screenshot of this:

Thanks Basse for informing me of that.

[This message has been edited by Crypt Kingg (edited 07-11-2010 @ 01:05 AM).]

posted 07-11-10 03:18 AM CT (US)     32 / 716  
Hello, Crypt Kingg.

From what I read, I can make up that your data file is somehow screwed up. I can't really think of anything else. Have you got a back-up of the original data files?

Also, if you overwrite them and you are using windows 7 or vista, make sure to check for compatibility files, for there might be some 'hidden' files there that make sure you don't actually overwrite them, so you think it's fixed but actually the modded data file is still in there

Hope you can fix it if this isn't the problem. :s

Retired, old and senile.

posted 07-11-10 04:48 AM CT (US)     33 / 716  
Oh yeah I forgot to add that I have already tried doing that, and it still doesn't work. Would it be because it's in the save file?
That could be the problem actually. For some reason data files save in save game files but not scenario or campaigns. If you're still playing the old saved game, you'd still get the same effect. Try starting over.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 07-11-10 04:56 AM CT (US)     34 / 716  
I forgot that part But you're correct Basse!

Retired, old and senile.

posted 07-11-10 02:06 PM CT (US)     35 / 716  
I was messing with the scenario editor trying diffrent things with waterfalls and such. I started out with the regular water through cliff waterfall when I created this rather unrealastic but okay looking waterfall. I'm not sure if anyone has ever experimented with this before but here's a screenshot anyway:

My idea was that the shallow water would be the top pool and the med water would be the falling water while the deep water would be where it all empty's out. Perhaps it just looks like a jumble of rocks and water, but if people want another alternitave then the water through cliff way for their scenarios then here is one.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 21  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » the Designer's Tavern III -- ASK QUESTIONS HERE
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames