Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The New Screenshot competition
posted 05-14-08 12:26 PM CT (US)   

After a discussion on StormWind Studios, I decided to start this contest. Welcome to the New Screenshot Competition!

The aim of this contest is to promote modded Aok, and also to carry on a screenshot contest that is not always limited by theme. It is partly based on the Annual Screenshot competition as well. I hope you all like it and will participate in it.

This contest will be held once a month. The first 15 days will be open for entries. In the remaining 15 days, people will vote ( ie. give a rating to ) the entries and then the winner for that month will be decided.

Categories
There are 4 categories into which you can enter. Each participant can enter at most TWO entries in EACH category.

1. Vanilla Aok- Aok without any form of modifications. Trigger Studio may be used.

2. Data editing- Only edited data file can be used. This means you can modify empires2_x1_p1.dat ( or empires2_x1.dat in unpatched ) but nothing else.

3. Graphical modding- All forms of modifications allowed including changes in graphics.drs etc.

4. Special category- Rules for this category will be decided every month.

Rules

• You can enter TWO screenshots in every category
  • The pictures will be anonymous. I will keep a track of who made which screenshot and announce it after the contest is over.
  • Links to the entries must be emailed to me ( email in profile ). Please do not mail me the pictures themselves. You must upload your picture on an external host and then mail the links to me. Please include your Aokh Username in the email.
  • You must give a title to your screenshot, otherwise I will give it something like 'entry6'.
  • No mapshots. (In other words, no using a full map shot of an entire scenario/map)
  • Editing a screenshot is not allowed except for adding text and cropping.
  • No taking screenshots from campaigns/scenarios that you did not create.
  • You CAN take screenshots using mods or data files that you did not make.
  • This is an open competition. No need to sign up, just post a screenshot that abides to the selected catagory.
  • Comptition and voting statuses will close at 11:59pm forum time on the designated deadline.
  • Judging is done by rating, not 'voting', although we can still call it a vote for convenience sake. Every voter must give a rating from 1-10 for EACH screenshot of a category. Anyone can give a rating.
  • You cannot vote for categories in which you are competing, but can in other categories.

FAQ

Q: How do I take a screenshot?
    A: To take a screenshot, press the "Print Screen" on your keyboard - the picture will be then saved under "Screenshots" folder in your AoK directory. F11 removes the game time from view.

Q: Where do I upload my picture
    A: There are many useful image hosters. The most useful ones are:

• http://xs.to/
  • http://imageshack.us/
  • www.putfile.com/
  • www.photobucket.com/

Q: Can't I simply post the link to my shot here?
    A: I'd like to see how an anonymous competition goes. This may be changed.

Q: What's the special category?
    A: It will be changed every month.

Dat editing and modding

Q: How do I do data editing?
    A: You can use programs like Genied1, Genied2 , AGE or direct hex editing

Q: How do I do modding?
    A: Look at the modpack forum.

Q: MPS doesn't work for me!
    A: Use Modworkshop. It's better anyway.

Q: Can I use Renaissance, Agamemnon's expansion, other people's modpacks etc?
    A: Yes, in their respective categories.

Q: How do I get units from AoM and AoE3?
    A: You can't. Although you can convert units from other SLP games like SWGB and AOE.

Q: Mods r evil!!
    A: Sorry, compete only in the vanilla Aok category then.

Current Competition

Open till 30th May

Special category:
    Topic: Ancient Greece and Rome.

Data editing and modding allowed.

Useful modpacks
    All Roads lead to Rome
    Rome at War
    Roman Modpack AoE

Entries

Vanilla Aok

-

Data editing

-

Graphical Modding

-

Special

-

Links

The Continuous Screenshot Competition IV

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
    `
    Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
    ि
    StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Jatayu (edited 05-14-2008 @ 12:28 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05-14-08 12:43 PM CT (US)     1 / 22  
    Funnily enough, I had this exact same idea itching in ny head. Good luck, and I'm most likely to enter.
    posted 05-14-08 02:45 PM CT (US)     2 / 22  
    Prolly won't enter, but will stick around nonetheless. GL.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 05-14-08 03:02 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
    Mods allowed?!?! Wow, I really want to see what people can come up with. Those shots are going to look awesome.

I'm most likely not going to enter this. I never had luck with mods or data editing.

Night life | Projects (updated Jan 19, 2007) | Castaway
    posted 05-14-08 05:47 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
    I will be entering of course, with some screenshots that will make you modhating noobs that seem to double in number every time I check in faint

Don't know if I should enter Greece and Rome though. Might get to be too much work.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 05-14-08 05:48 PM CT (US)     5 / 22  
    Well I won't be participating, but good luck.

Scud's thread seems to be slowly dying, so maybe this will be the new hit.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
    Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
    posted 05-14-08 06:27 PM CT (US)     6 / 22  
    Scud's thread seems to be slowly dying, so maybe this will be the new hit.
    Really? It seems active as ever.

I will be entering as well at times (maybe not the first time), except for the special category (because I choose that)

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    posted 05-14-08 11:10 PM CT (US)     7 / 22  
    Sounds interesting.

In the rare chance that I get inspired, I'll enter.

me
    posted 05-14-08 11:11 PM CT (US)     8 / 22  
    Ah... this is finally up. I'm looking forward to seeing some delightful screenshots here.

I hope this would spur the community's interest towards data-editing, and leave any of those anti-mod movements with something to regret.

/\NDANU_TRISATY/\
    -~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-
    StormWind Studios

-:|:- Fight Against Fate -:|:- Zegrelandia -:|:- Eternal Moon -:|:- Current Project -:|:-
    posted 05-15-08 01:24 AM CT (US)     9 / 22  
    Seems cool, Jatayu. Hope this goes well. May or may not enter depending on time, and creativity.

[This message has been edited by White Dragon (edited 05-15-2008 @ 01:24 AM).]

posted 05-15-08 06:11 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
    Ok guys, start making stuff

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    posted 05-19-08 10:50 AM CT (US)     11 / 22  
    Mmm hmm, I was wondering if this would catch on, but apparently it doesn't?

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    posted 05-19-08 12:39 PM CT (US)     12 / 22  
    Sorry, compete only in the vanilla Aok category then.
    Does this category include Conquerors Expansion? iam pretty sure it does, but in case you need to bump this thread up, this post helps
    posted 05-19-08 12:53 PM CT (US)     13 / 22  
    What's wrong with the Continuous Screenshot Competition?
    posted 05-19-08 01:37 PM CT (US)     14 / 22  
    It doesn't allow mods etc... not that that's a problem, but hey!

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 05-19-08 02:14 PM CT (US)     15 / 22  
    I have made 1 or 2 screenies, I will send them to you all at once though.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 05-19-08 11:49 PM CT (US)     16 / 22  
    Mmm hmm, I was wondering if this would catch on, but apparently it doesn't?
    No, it doesn't.

R.I.P.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
    Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
    posted 05-20-08 05:07 PM CT (US)     17 / 22  
    Oh, please, shut up.

I'm most likely to send something soon. We have till the 30th, you know.
    posted 05-20-08 05:21 PM CT (US)     18 / 22  
    No, it doesn't.

R.I.P.
    And I thought it was suppose to be the "Continuous Screenshot Competition" that was dying and this was going be it's successor, according to your earlier words of wisdom Dantares.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 05-20-08 05:26 PM CT (US)     19 / 22  
    And I thought it was suppose to be the "Continuous Screenshot Competition" that was dying and this was going be it's successor, according to your earlier words of wisdom Dantares.
    ...so maybe this will be the new hit.
    Please not the MAYBE in that sentence.

posted 05-20-08 11:35 PM CT (US)     20 / 22  
    Ok, I'm going to give this another try. I'm scrapping the anonymous rule: post your screenshot in this thread.

I'm entering my shots

Data editing:

Modding:

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    posted 05-20-08 11:50 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
    Mind telling me what they are about? They don't make any sense to me.

posted 05-21-08 03:30 PM CT (US)     22 / 22  
    The second looks cool. Can't relate them to Rome and/or Greece, though.

EDIT Wait, I get it now. *slaps self in the face*

[This message has been edited by ZayanK (edited 05-21-2008 @ 03:31 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The New Screenshot competition
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames