Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoKH Cinematic Scenario Contest 2010
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 09-28-10 10:37 AM CT (US)   

After three years of designing enthusiasm and cinematic tradition, the Age of Kings Heaven Cinematic Scenario Contest for 2010 has finally arrived, and with the same layout and objective as before. Since the contest's foundation in 2006, the Blacksmith has been enriched with a plethora of cinematic content. From the humorous affair and misfortune of a marauding Viking gorging his fantasies on loot to the tale of a doomed kingdom trodden from rampant demons and devoid of a hero, the cinematic has proved itself of being a note-worthy addition to our download centre and an easily-accessible source of showcasing a story idea or prologue for an upcoming project.

Whether you're an accomplished designer or just someone meandering your way through the vanilla editor and still, like me, discovering new ways to improve your work, the cinematic is a relatively easy way from the laborious confines of a campaign and a good practice to have some fun with this timeless game! With that said, the objective of this contest is to design a cinematic scenario that utilises story and visuals to good effect and to satisfy the enjoyment of the viewer. As always, you are limited only by your imagination, and there is no set theme for this contest. Your entry may be a prologue or epilogue to a project in-the-works, historical or fiction, or a cut-scene in and of itself; an adaptation of a classical play, a script or a famous novel. Your entry may even be a music video, whereby what happens on screen coincides with the song, such as seen here.

With that in mind, you can find previous contest entries here, ranging from 2006 to 2009 and featuring some of the best cinematic content the Blacksmith has to offer. Alternatively, to get you started, download and check just a few of the cinematic greats to be found in the Blacksmith below:

Legends of Chila
Eurona's Curse
Lawrence, Al' Aurens
The Green Rider
~The Battle For Troy~(Teaser)

To participate in this contest, please simply post a comment below and you will be shortly placed in the topic post as a contestant. There is no deadline for signing up; you may do so at any time during the competition.

The deadline for all file submissions is tentatively set for 26 January, 2011, giving you at least two months to get the ideas floating around in your head sorted out and onto screen!

RULES & REQUIREMENTS

(WARNING: Failure to adhere to any of these conditions of entry may result in immediate disqualification.)

1. All entries must be submitted to the Blacksmith by 26 January 2011, 11:59 PM (EST - forum time). Entries submitted after this time will not be judged. Files not approved before this time will be judged, so long as the submission date is prior to the above deadline.
  2. All entries must have the initials of ACSC10 entered in the submission title. Please use the naming format ACSC10 - [entry name here] when submitting your entry. If not, your entry will likely be renamed by the blacksmith moderators to fit this format.
  3. All entries are to be submitted to the Cinematic Scenarios category of the Blacksmith.
  4. The overall size of the entry must not exceed 25 MB.
  5. The cinematic may be in .scx or .cpx format.
  6. The cinematic should run between 5 minutes and 60 minutes of in-game time. Anything less than 5 minutes constitutes little more than a teaser, while anything more than 60 minutes is probably too taxing on our judges. If the contestant wishes to submit an entry that does not fall within these limits, please post in the thread with good reasoning and the judges will decide if it is acceptable.
  7. No interactive elements allowed; the player should never have to move the mouse. There are no exceptions to this rule, but we will allow taunts to start the scenario.
  8. No submission of work done by multiple designers. This is an individual contest.
  9. Only one entry per designer.
  10. Cinematic scenarios already uploaded to the Blacksmith cannot be submitted into this competition. Anything not previously available for download is however acceptable.
  11. All use of the following tools is allowed: AoKTS, Genied1, Genied2, and AGE. All DAT editing modifications are allowed. Graphical changes (typically called modpacks) are not allowed. Editing language files is also not allowed, as it is for a cinematic only.
  12. An instruction screen image (bitmap) and sound files are allowed and strongly-encouraged. An avi file is also allowed, but remember the total file limit of 25 MB. Please do not include the bitmap or AI files in the zip, as they save in the scx file.
  13. Lastly, in order to be eligible for judging, the entry must follow the general submission rules that apply to the Blacksmith regarding offensive content. If you are unsure if your scenario is acceptable, please make sure of this well in advance of the deadline.

PRIZE

The first place winner will receive their choice of a custom title on our forums! Also, the top four entries will receive a review from our judge(s).

JUDGING

There will be three judges for this competition, and are as follows: Mashek, Leif Ericson, TheLaughingMule

The criteria consists of five categories, based lightly on the review guidelines but more focused on the consideration of what makes a great cinematic scenario. The categories were designed to minimise overlap while covering all major evaluation points for a cinematic. What the judges will look for when scoring each category is defined below.

» Entertainment Value (10 points)
Judges will consider how much they enjoyed or were entertained by the cinematic. This is purely a rating of the entertainment value of the design, and as such is the most subjective category. The judges will be asked to keep an open mind to styles or storylines that they might not prefer, but each judge will ultimately be asked to rate the entry in this category according to his own enjoyment. For this and all four other categories, the judges will give a score of 1 to 10 based on the scale provided.

» Presentation and Flow (10 points)
This category will be judged based on the overall smoothness of delivery of the cinematic. Every scene has writing, or what the designer tells us is happening, and the actions, the trigger-work that shows us what is happening. In this category, the judges will consider the quality of the actions, how they correspond to the dialogue, and the smoothness with which they are presented. Generally speaking, the less the designer leaves up to the viewer's imagination and the more that is actually presented as action, the higher the quality of the presentation. Even the methods used to display the dialogue can show a high quality of presentation.

The flow of the cinematic is a rating of how well it is timed and transitioned from scene to scene. A cinematic exhibiting excellent flow should have easy-to-follow and properly-timed dialogue and actions, feature seamless transitioning between scenes, and move at a comfortable pace. The delivery should by no means feel rushed or sluggish.

» Creativity (10 points)
The judgment of creativity will focus on any unique characteristics of the entry. Creativity can be found in all aspects of a cinematic scenario, from trigger effects, to map design, to the soundtrack used, to the story, and so on. All aspects of the cut-scene from the opening screen elements to the aftermath screen can be considered for creativity. For this category, the judge will not focus on rating the quality of techniques used, as he would for the other categories, but rather focus on any that are used in a unique manner or show a fresh approach.

» Scene Design and Soundtrack (10 points)
Judges will consider both visual and audio aspects of the scenario. For scene design, the judges will consider all aspects of map design, including good use of terrains, elevation, units, objects, etc. The effectiveness of each scene visually will be considered. This is an evaluation of the quality of the 'backdrops' for each scene.

For the Soundtrack, the judges will consider the music and sound files used, if any. The inclusion of a soundtrack is a good thing, but it may or may not guarantee a higher grade. We aren't going to give credit for adding a piece of music; it has to fit and work for the scenario. The effectiveness of any music or audio effects used will be considered. The judges will look for how well music is timed to scenes, how well it fits scenes, and the overall quality and effectiveness of audio effects. The judge should not let their personal preferences in music affect their scoring, but rather ask themselves if the music used works well within the cut-scene.

When giving a rating for this category, we will be looking firstly at the scene design and determining a rating for it; If the soundtrack was above average and increased the quality of the scenario, the overall score should be increased. If the soundtrack is lacking or does not fit properly, the score should be decreased. A cinematic with no soundtrack does not have to be rated down for this if the judge feels it was the designer's intention or was unneeded. That said, it is likely that the inclusion of a soundtrack will give a better rating in this category.

» Story (10 points)
The entry will be judged on its story, from the opening instructions until the end of the scenario. When evaluating the cinematic, the judges will first determine what the designer has intended the story to be. An attempt at a humorous story will then be evaluated on whether the dialogue and writing is actually humorous or witty, a historic story or classical literature adaptation will be evaluated on how the known events are told, and a fictional work will be judged on how good a fiction it is. Judges will also consider whether it was supposed to be a complete or partial story, and not penalise a prologue.

Judges may deduct points for spelling and grammar errors, particularly if they feel these mistakes were damaging to the overall understanding or quality of the story. This is left at the judges discretion.

CONTESTANTS (16)
(in alphabetical order)

Courtjester1
Crusader_7
Fanica
Fattybryce
G omega
joshua4missions
Lord Basse
paperclip007
Pears
Possidon
Sebastien
srinath1113
Trisatya
Turtov
Watson

DROPPED OUT (5)

Dead_End
Matt LiVecchi
panel
Teotl
tripp eev
ursul

Good luck to all contestants!

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 01-27-2011 @ 08:42 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-28-10 10:39 AM CT (US)     1 / 246  
I'll sign up.
Though finishing is another thing.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 09-28-10 10:52 AM CT (US)     2 / 246  
A banner is forth-coming, obviously. However, my paintshop pro skills are in need of serious fine-tuning, anyone else care to design one?
posted 09-28-10 10:53 AM CT (US)     3 / 246  
Ahhh, you started it. I'm in.

joshua4missions
posted 09-28-10 10:57 AM CT (US)     4 / 246  
Woop woop! Count me in doc.
posted 09-28-10 11:15 AM CT (US)     5 / 246  
posted 09-28-10 12:42 PM CT (US)     6 / 246  
I have too much work to do, about 2 projects to make, another contest and much stuff. Well, since it's just a cinematic thingy, I guess I would able to win it, if you know what I mean.

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.
posted 09-28-10 04:35 PM CT (US)     7 / 246  
I'll compete as well.

~ White Light on the Black Sky ~ -- ~ 1st Place (tied) of 4, 2012 Cinematic Scenario Competition ~ [4.7]
~ A Cold Winter's Day ~ -- ~ 2nd Place of 16, 2009 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2009 ~ [4.7]
~ The Mole ~ -- ~ 3rd Place of 15, 2012 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2012 ~ [4.4]
posted 09-28-10 04:36 PM CT (US)     8 / 246  
However, my paintshop pro skills are in need of serious fine-tuning, anyone else care to design one?
Surely you could use the one from the previous years?

Anyway, in. Good to see this thread up.
posted 09-28-10 04:38 PM CT (US)     9 / 246  
I'll sign up.
Though finishing is another thing.
Same here.
posted 09-28-10 04:49 PM CT (US)     10 / 246  
I'll sign up. Let's see what I can come up with

Scenarios:
Divine War (rated 4.4)
Phoenix trailer (rated 3.8)
Proud Member of Black Forest Studios

It`s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
posted 09-28-10 05:17 PM CT (US)     11 / 246  
Count me in.

____IN FLAMES____
WE TRUST!

StormWind Studios | BlackForest Studios
posted 09-28-10 05:56 PM CT (US)     12 / 246  
Well I wouldn't want to diverge from my path of participating every time, would I? Count me in.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 09-28-10 07:01 PM CT (US)     13 / 246  
Oh, what the hell, put my name up there.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 09-28-10 08:10 PM CT (US)     14 / 246  
Good to see already a dozen eager-ish contestants. Looking forward to seeing what everyone produces.

EDIT: *face in palm* I've shamefully taken Matt's banner from last year's contest as I can't get a banner going any time soon. All my facilities for designing are locked away in my other computer which is in store being fixed. I hope no one minds.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 09-28-2010 @ 08:21 PM).]

posted 09-28-10 09:53 PM CT (US)     15 / 246  
Sign me up bruh!

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
posted 09-28-10 11:15 PM CT (US)     16 / 246  
For the record, Aro made that banner. So you're stealing from Aro

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 09-28-10 11:31 PM CT (US)     17 / 246  
I had a go at creating a banner. If you use it fair enough, if you don't fair enough. Not sure if its what you had in mind (tbh i never knew what i had in mind). It might be a little big. Cmon, anything with king leonidas in has got to be winner

I just realised its not called cutscene competition, well if u do use it i can change this.

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 09-28-2010 @ 11:50 PM).]

posted 09-29-10 00:26 AM CT (US)     18 / 246  
Aro made that banner. So you're stealing from Aro
If we kidnap Aro he wont really mind haha

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
posted 09-29-10 02:59 AM CT (US)     19 / 246  
That banner made me chuckle a bit. It is big!

I really wish I'd have the time to participate in this. But with school and other ongoing projects, I don't think I'll be able to make anything.

However, if you feel like I have the ability to judge entries well, you can count me in as a judge.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 09-29-10 07:44 AM CT (US)     20 / 246  
Hurray! It's up and running at last! I'm in.
posted 09-29-10 07:55 AM CT (US)     21 / 246  
Good to have you aboard, Leif!

@Sebastien,

Well, it's certainly eye-catching. A bit too big though; Aro's is the perfect size. However, anything else you can come up with will be considered.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 09-29-2010 @ 07:57 AM).]

posted 09-29-10 11:14 AM CT (US)     22 / 246  
I'll try and make a banner Mashek

EDIT:

Here How aboput this. Not my best but it seems like a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Possidon (edited 09-29-2010 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 09-29-10 02:25 PM CT (US)     23 / 246  
Nice Idea Possidon.

How about this...

posted 09-30-10 05:58 AM CT (US)     24 / 246  
Count me in.
posted 09-30-10 04:47 PM CT (US)     25 / 246  
I vote for Seb's second banner.
posted 10-01-10 00:59 AM CT (US)     26 / 246  
In my opinion, it looks cluttered with the overlapping letters, but that's just my opinion.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 10-01-10 10:37 AM CT (US)     27 / 246  
posted 10-01-10 07:14 PM CT (US)     28 / 246  
They're both rather nice images but still too big, and Possidon's is probably more nearer to the mark in that category.
posted 10-01-10 08:17 PM CT (US)     29 / 246  
IMO, Leonidas doesn't have anything to do with this and it doesn't fit the theme of the competition, that is a cinematic contest, not an historical one. (I mean no offense by this)

Scenarios:
Divine War (rated 4.4)
Phoenix trailer (rated 3.8)
Proud Member of Black Forest Studios

It`s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
posted 10-01-10 09:48 PM CT (US)     30 / 246  
Let me just say that the banner from 2007 was probably the best one I've seen.
posted 10-02-10 07:33 AM CT (US)     31 / 246  
Agree with Turty. Stick to the classics.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 10-02-10 06:13 PM CT (US)     32 / 246  
The one from '07 was also the one from '06. newIdea made it. I wish he were still around. His paintshop pro skills were phenomenal.
posted 10-04-10 11:08 AM CT (US)     33 / 246  
I don't have so much spare time these days, but the idea of competing against so many all-time greats of this community is too much to resist. count me in!
posted 10-04-10 07:04 PM CT (US)     34 / 246  
posted 10-06-10 02:11 PM CT (US)     35 / 246  
I may or may not find time to enter this. Count me in for now though.

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » AoKH Cinematic Scenario Contest 2010
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames