You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoKH Minigame Competition 2014 - RESULTS!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
posted 07-08-14 02:09 PM CT (US)   

Results!

============================================================

1st place: The Departure of Boromir, by HockeySam18 : 126 pts

In first place we find HockeySam18's adaption of one of the famous scenes from Lord of the Rings. With a series of intense, unique fights and the most beautiful map of all entries, this minigame earned high scores from all three judges, landing it in first place, four points ahead of the runner-up!

Download here!

2nd place: City of Peace, by Al_Kharn the Great : 122 pts

"City of Peace" is a detective story in which you play Jaf'ar, the Sultan's vizier in Bagdad during the Islamic Golden Age, and your objective is to solve the murder of a local girl with close ties to the palace. It's a unique scenario that forces you to really use your brain to win!

Download here!

3rd place: Across the Sea, by Possidon : 114 pts

Tied for third place we find Possidon's "Across the Sea", a story of two people lost at sea at different moments in time, told in snapshots and flashbacks. Its mysterious setting and psychological gameplay earned it several high scores.

Download here!

3rd place: The Colosseum, by Cysion : 114 pts

Alongside Possidon's entry we find Cysion's "The Colossuem", a puzzle scenario set in ancient Rome. This scenario forces you to think outside the box, and combines puzzles with interesting gameplay mechanics to create a fun scenario!

Download here!

5th place: The Elite Training Academy Challenge, by DelCrosB : 106 pts

Perhaps the most challenging of all entries, this scenario consists of four unique tactical challenges set in a type of arena. You have to use your tactical knowledge and micromanagement skills (and the F3 button!) to maximum effect to crack this nut!

Download here!

6th place: Rebirth of a Nation, by Sir Dolphin 2 : 100 pts

"Rebirth of a Nation" is a short stealth mission in which you're tasked with retrieving a document from a rebel town. With a sountrack composed of 16-bit songs and hard rock, it makes for a very interesting game!

Download here!

7th place: Tax me if you can, by croatianboss : 87 pts

"Tax me if you can" is a defend the spot scenario with progressively difficult levels, and multiple challenging bosses. The story is simple but well-suited for the gameplay: after refusing to pay taxes to your extortionist overlord, he attacks your village with all his might. Now it's your job to hold him off!

Download here!

8th place: Encounter with a ghost, by Little Fighter 2 : 76 pts

"Encounter with a ghost" is a puzzle-like scenario in which you perform tasks assigned to you by a ghost that you find strangely reminiscient... A simple scenario with a primary focus on story and intrigue.

Download here!

8th place: Redwood Garrison, by MrMew : 76 pts

Tied with Little Fighter's entry, we find MrMew's "Redwood Garrison", a simple defend the spot scenario in which your task is to defend a tower against the on-rushing enemy. Despite only having 16 triggers, it still manages to be an enjoyable short scenario!

Download here!

Scores

Scores by the judges: ( in the order playability/creativity/map design = total )
Max marks for each category is : 20/15/15 = 50

Lord Basse

City of Peace ......................... 16 / 13 / 12 = 41
The Departure of Boromir .............. 15 / 9 / 14 = 38
The Elite Traning Academy Challenge ... 15 / 10 / 12 = 37
The Colosseum ......................... 12 / 8 / 10 = 30
Across the Sea ........................ 7 / 10 / 12 = 29
Tax me if you can ..................... 11 / 8 / 9 = 28
Rebirth of a Nation ................... 6 / 7 / 8 = 21
Redwood Garrison ...................... 7 / 6 / 7 = 20
Encounter with a ghost ................ 4 / 3 / 6 = 13

Average score: 29/50

Arnas

Across the Sea ......................... 17 / 14 / 14 = 45
City of Peace .......................... 17 / 14 / 13 = 44
The Departure of Boromir ............... 17 / 12 / 15 = 44
The Colosseum .......................... 17 / 13 / 13 = 43
Rebirth of a Nation .................... 16 / 13 / 13 = 42
Encounter with a ghost ................. 12 / 11 / 11 = 34
Tax me if you can ...................... 14 / 7 / 10 = 31
The Elite Training Academy Challenge ... 12 / 8 / 10 = 30
Redwood Garrison ....................... 13 / 3 / 7 = 23

Average score: 37/50

Lildbehr

The Departure of Boromir ............... 16 / 13 / 15 = 44
The Colosseum .......................... 18 / 12 / 11 = 41
Across the Sea ......................... 14 / 11 / 15 = 40
The Elite Training Academy Challenge ... 14 / 14 / 11 = 39
City of Peace .......................... 13 / 14 / 10 = 37
Rebirth of a Nation .................... 13 / 12 / 12 = 37
Redwood Garrison ....................... 11 / 9 / 13 = 33
Encounter with a ghost ................. 11 / 10 / 8 = 29
Tax me if you can ...................... 10 / 9 / 9 = 28

Average score: 36/50

Total scores:

The Departure of Boromir ............... 38 + 44 + 44 = 126
City of Peace .......................... 41 + 44 + 37 = 122
Across the Sea ......................... 29 + 45 + 40 = 114
The Colosseum .......................... 30 + 43 + 41 = 114
The Elite Training Academy Challenge ... 37 + 30 + 39 = 106
Rebirth of a Nation .................... 21 + 42 + 37 = 100
Tax me if you can ...................... 28 + 31 + 28 = 87
Encounter with a ghost ................. 13 + 34 + 29 = 76
Redwood Garrison ....................... 30 + 23 + 33 = 76

A bunch of people have been asking for another MGC, so, here it is!

Welcome to the AoKH Minigame Competition, the sixth of its kind since it all began in 2007! This is a contest where designers try to create the best scenario they can on a 25x25 or smaller map. Previous winners include arcade-style defend the spot, time-travelling magicians and dream-like puzzle scenarios, so really anything flies in this competition!

Sign up as an entrant (or a judge, unless the positions have been filled!) by posting here in the thread, and upload your entry to the Blacksmith before August 17th!

• Your entry must be a single player scenario, on a map size of 25x25 or lower; this map template (and several smaller ones) can be found in the Blacksmith here.

• Your scenario can be any style; role-playing game, fixed force, build and destroy (if you can fit that on a 25x25 map!); but it must be playable, i.e. not a cutscene.

• Mod packs and data editing are both allowed. If you do use modpacks such as BF_Tanks' enhanced eye-candy editor, please include the file with your submission. Also, be sure to credit the author of any file you use.

Age of Kings: HD and The Forgotten are both allowed, but remember that using any of their new units or features doesn't automatically score you points: it's what you do with the tools at hand that counts.

• Your submission must be less than 10 mb in size.

• You can't enter anything already submitted to the Blacksmith or the Steam Workshop. You may upload them to both places simultaneously, but your entry must be made specifically for this competition.

• The deadline for submissions is August 17th, 23.59 PM forum time. The deadline may be extended if there are too few entries, but don't count on it!

• When uploading your entry, please submit it to Single Player Scenarios and add MGC14 to the title of your game, i.e. "MGC14 - Scenario Title". This will help downloaders find your submission and also keep them in kind with previous entries, such as MGC09, MGC11 and MGC12.

If you wish, and are good with keeping deadlines, you can sign up as a judge instead of an entrant! The judges will judge all entries by giving marks (along with a short motivation) in each of the following categories:

Playability - out of 20
Creativity and story - out of 15
Map design - out of 15

Total: out of 50

Judges:

Lord Basse
Lildbehr
Arnas

We have decided to give out cash prizes to the top 3 entries, as well as some other goodies!

1st place: $30 worth of Steam games OR $30 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse) + assortment of weird Japanese candy in a box, courtesy of Tetsuo (note to the winner: unboxing pics or it didn't happen! )
2nd place: $10 worth of Steam games OR $10 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse)
3rd place: $5 worth of Steam games OR $5 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse)

HockeySam18
Possidon
Al_Kharn the Great
croatianboss
Sir Dolphin 2
Mr Mew
Little Fighter 2
DelCrosB
Cysion
Seonid
jernside
Popeychops
Rageofempires
Mithril Knight

Shyam Prasad
Devestator
Arnas
CarolKarine
LordVen_Galen
Joshua4Missions

Lt_Blitz

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 08-27-2014 @ 08:21 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-08-14 02:30 PM CT (US)     1 / 330  
Praise the Heavens!

I'm entering. If i don't manage to get an entry done in time (aka, if im too lazy to get off my arse), i might enter as judge instead.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-08-14 02:32 PM CT (US)     2 / 330  
Nice, this site is getting active again
1st place: $30 worth of Steam games OR $30 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse) + assortment of weird Japanese candy in a box, courtesy of Tetsuo (note to the winner: unboxing pics or it didn't happen! )
2nd place: $10 worth of Steam games OR $10 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse)
3rd place: $5 worth of Steam games OR $5 Amazon voucher + Blacksmith review by an Official Reviewer (aka Lord Basse)
Lol, now people gain money? o.O

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
posted 07-08-14 02:39 PM CT (US)     3 / 330  
There were cash prizes last time around, and I don't think the winners complained much!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 07-08-14 03:09 PM CT (US)     4 / 330  
Yes! Finally! I volunteer!

posted 07-08-14 03:10 PM CT (US)     5 / 330  
Sign me up!

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 07-08-14 04:46 PM CT (US)     6 / 330  
Nice! Sign me up too!

Also, sticky?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-08-14 04:53 PM CT (US)     7 / 330  
posted 07-08-14 05:08 PM CT (US)     8 / 330  
Is The Forgotten DLC allowed?
posted 07-08-14 05:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 330  
That'd be unfair. Hope it's not.

posted 07-08-14 05:59 PM CT (US)     10 / 330  
Good question. I'm guessing it would be, especially seeing as modpacks and data editing are also allowed. Final call though is Basse's, of course.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-08-14 06:00 PM CT (US)     11 / 330  
That'd be unfair. Hope it's not.
• Mod packs and data editing are both allowed. If you do use modpacks such as BF_Tanks' enhanced eye-candy editor, please include the file with your submission. Also, be sure to credit the author of any file you use.
This should mean that at least the Forgotten Empires mod is allowed. I assume HD Edition is also allowed, which would make it pretty fair to allow The Forgotten Expansion.
posted 07-08-14 06:03 PM CT (US)     12 / 330  
I don't really think mods other than userpatch should be allowed, especially if the mods are actual expansions.

posted 07-08-14 06:06 PM CT (US)     13 / 330  
Forgotten is a paid mod, so it would be really unfair if allowed. Specially when most people prefer designing on old AOK (at all, it's Age Of Kings Heaven, not Age of Forgotten Heaven).

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by Rewaider (edited 07-08-2014 @ 06:07 PM).]

posted 07-08-14 06:13 PM CT (US)     14 / 330  
Does The Forgotten provide some unfair advantage not offered by any other mod?
posted 07-08-14 06:21 PM CT (US)     15 / 330  
Great rule, +1!
I don't really think mods other than userpatch should be allowed, especially if the mods are actual expansions.
Why? Mods allow for new ways of creativity, just look at Devestator's cinematic scenarios, to name an example.
Forgotten is a paid mod, so it would be really unfair if allowed. Specially when most people prefer designing on old AOK (at all, it's Age Of Kings Heaven, not Age of Forgotten Heaven).
Then you should design with AoK please, it's not The Conquerors Heaven either.

I like a new competition, even if my designing skill is too low to enter.
posted 07-08-14 06:47 PM CT (US)     16 / 330  
Devestator usually uses data editing for nifty tricks rather than graphical modding. Also, I changed my opinion. If other contestants will use it, so will I. But as long as the mods are accessable. AoF is unaccable unless paid, that is why I don't think it's fair

posted 07-08-14 06:51 PM CT (US)     17 / 330  
Do the other (free) mods work with AoK HD?
posted 07-08-14 06:57 PM CT (US)     18 / 330  
Usually, all mods that do not need an xml to work. (Like Age of Chivalry 1.84 and newer or AoFE (but who would use AoFE if he has AoF)). These do work on AoF if they don't add more than 5 civs as then they can replace the existing (which is the case for both these mods, they both add 5).

Most mods need their dlls turned into txts for HD to read them, but according to Seonid that is easy to do.

Edit: From the back of my head, the only mod that definitely should not work with AoK HD is Dynasty_IV's Age of Civilisations, as it reduces the civilisation count.

Well, you could go and edit it and add back enough civs to bring it up to 18/23. :P

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 07-08-2014 @ 06:58 PM).]

posted 07-08-14 07:08 PM CT (US)     19 / 330  
Hey guys, count me in.
posted 07-08-14 07:35 PM CT (US)     20 / 330  
It is an easy thing to do to convert .dlls to .txt files

Time-consuming, but easy. Just a lot of copy-paste.

And, pretty much any mod will work on AoK:HD, as well as the Forgotten, although some assembly might be required. I do not know if a modded .exe file will work, although I doubt it. If anyone wants some help getting a mod to work on AoK:HD, I'm more than willing to help.
posted 07-08-14 08:58 PM CT (US)     21 / 330  
It's not like AoF gives anyone a particular advantage if you're allowed to use any modpack you want. It's just a mod that Microsoft decided to sell. If Age of Chivalry or ToME are allowed, then I see no reason why AoF can't be used either. The only reason I can see why it would be against the rules is if you're not allowed to use someone else's mod.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 07-09-14 00:08 AM CT (US)     22 / 330  
So are we absolutely not allowed to use a 30x30 map template?
posted 07-09-14 02:52 AM CT (US)     23 / 330  
I'm in favour of allowing AoF. My main concern about it is whether those who sign up to judge actually have the DLC and can judge AoF scenarios at all. As long as this can be worked out, I don't see why AoF shouldn't be allowed; like any other mod, using it doesn't automatically score you any extra points; it's what you actually do with it that counts.
So are we absolutely not allowed to use a 30x30 map template?
Nope, just 25x25 or smaller.

By the way, nice to see you popping in over here, Croboss.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-09-2014 @ 02:54 AM).]

posted 07-09-14 05:25 AM CT (US)     24 / 330  
Why? Mods allow for new ways of creativity, just look at Devestator's cinematic scenarios, to name an example
Thank you, but i only have one Cinematic scenario

Just sayin: If it was my call, I'd allow Data editing (and userpatch) only, because that would be the fairest option concerning modding. There's not only plenty of useful modded data files available in the blacksmith, but its also not a difficult thing for anyone to learn (unlike graphical modding that, if you can't smoothly copy and paste, require software and skills, giving those that already have those an advantage.) Another option is of course to not allow any mods and see what people can do with AoC only.
Then you should design with AoK please, it's not The Conquerors Heaven either.
I must disagree. The Forgotten is not on the same level as The Conquerors. I might not have been here as long as many others, but I do not recall ever having seen someone that didn't want to enter a contest because they did not own TC. TC has become so essential to AoK over the years, that we can almost consider it part of AoK, rather than just an expansion. The same can not be said for AoF. This would be a different story if AoF was available for non AoHD users (yes I know there is also AoFE, but the difference between that and AoF grows with every patch MS releases), but alas it is not. If we want to use AoF, why not host the competition at Steam?

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-09-14 09:45 AM CT (US)     25 / 330  
Oh, and count me in!

Arcade-style DTS using my Wheel of Time mod? I think so...

[Edit:] Definitely not an RPG

[This message has been edited by Seonid (edited 07-09-2014 @ 12:49 PM).]

posted 07-09-14 02:55 PM CT (US)     26 / 330  
Would like to know fast if the judges are able to play TF Maps. Because I would like to start mapping fast

~Finished Projects~
5 Christmasmaps

~soon~
some Minimaps and other stuff
posted 07-09-14 03:31 PM CT (US)     27 / 330  
Is having other people playtest your entry allowed?

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-09-14 03:58 PM CT (US)     28 / 330  
Speaking of modding. Basse, can I use your wooden bridge from RoA?

posted 07-09-14 04:48 PM CT (US)     29 / 330  
If The Forgotten is allowed, count me in.
posted 07-09-14 05:21 PM CT (US)     30 / 330  
Is having other people playtest your entry allowed?
Of course it is. It's not like they can check that anyway
posted 07-09-14 05:39 PM CT (US)     31 / 330  
I've finally got a plan for this one

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 07-09-14 06:05 PM CT (US)     32 / 330  
Of course it is. It's not like they can check that anyway
Well, yeah, it might be considered "helping" others with their entry / 2 people working on one scenario, which is usually forbidden.

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-09-14 07:18 PM CT (US)     33 / 330  
I seem to remember playtesting being allowed in past contests. I've definitely PT'd a few contest entries in my time here when people have asked publicly for it, and the hosts seemed to have no trouble with that.

Just like mods, PT is available to everybody, so imo it evens out. As long as judges or other entrants aren't allowed to PT (for obvious reasons), I see no reason why it wouldn't be fair.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 07-10-14 04:48 AM CT (US)     34 / 330  
As long as judges or other entrants aren't allowed to PT
What's the problem with other entrants?

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-10-14 09:30 AM CT (US)     35 / 330  
Well, we do have several entrants who have indicated that they would like to be judges if they don't finish their scenarios in time, so there is a little overlap between the two categories.

Separate question: My mod has several graphics from AoF in it, and one in particular will be used in the scenario. I wasn't able to determine if we decided to allow AoF, but just in case, is this a problem?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » AoKH Minigame Competition 2014 - RESULTS!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames