Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The story of how Sipia went insane
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 10-02-14 02:10 PM CT (US)   
So... You have come to hear the tale of how I lost my marbles.

And if you didn't, why'd you open this thread? C'mon man, it's in the freaking title. You're not very good at reading, are you?

*ahem*

Anyway, before I begin, I must warn you that this delves quite a bit into my past, and thus you may not look at me the same way again after reading this. I dunno, I've never been good at predicting other people's reactions to what I say, but I figured I'd just throw that out there.

So, enough beating around the bush. Let's get to it.

This story takes us back to spring of 2000. Yeah, remember that time? Well I don't, because I was three years old at the time. I still know the exact date, though. How, you ask? Because that's the birthday of my only sibling, my younger brother.

Now, before I proceed, a quick disclaimer: I love my brother and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. Don't let anything I'm about to say misguide you.

That said, there's two things you need to know about my brother. The first thing became apperent immediately after his birth, or even a little while before that; he wasn't entirely... normal, so to speak. He had an extra chromosome in his 21st pair, a condition we usually refer to as down syndrome. To go on top of that, he has dyspraxia, a neurological disorder that hampers his learning in finer movement and speech- which indirectly means that he learns everything even slower than the average down syndrome child, since it can take quite some time to get him to understand something. It's a very odd experience to have a brother like that, because you don't really get to play the usual big brother role. I can't help him with his problems, our levels of comprehension are leagues apart which only gets worse over time, you can't really have an in-depth conversation with him (he understands simple yes/no questions most of the time, but even then we can never be sure), you can't play games together (unless you like intentionally losing at memory card games)...

But I'm getting off track. Where was I?

Ah, yes. The second thing you need to know about my brother that's relevant to this story is something I learned when he turned two years old. You see, as it turned out, he freakin' loves watching television. When he discovered it, he would do nothing but watch tv for hours on end. Of course, I was still five, so I wasn't much different. But as I moved on to other things- video games, primarily- he stuck to watching tv, day in, day out.

Now on to the kicker. What happens when you put these two factors together? Very slow learning plus love for tv shows... It means that he's easily satisfied with watching the same episode of a show twice in a row. Or three times. Or four. Or five. Or maybe just fifteen. It just doesn't bore him. He accumulates new information so slowly that the repetition just doesn't bother him. But that's not all. Most kids, when they grow older, start watching new shows to accomodate for their psychological aging. My brother, however, ages very, very... very slowly. And as such, he doesn't need to watch new shows. The old ones will do fine. You wanna know how bad it is? I remember it even now, the show that he first started watching when he turned two. So many years did that show entertain him to no end. How many years exactly? I don't know! Because he still watches it to this day. I can hear it as I write, in fact.

Do you realise how excrucatingly dull it is to a developing mind like mine to be fed the same information year after year after year? It's been twelve years, and he just won't. stop. watching that show. Thankfully, he started watching other shows over the years (for the same target age as the first one, mind), but that's only temporary mercy; those too got engraved into my skull from sheer repetition in time.

What didn't help either is that my brother just plain ol' loves playing music as loud as possible. And that's really, really loud. My parents and I have warned him so many times that he'll make himself deaf one of these days, but he's just too stubborn to listen. His music can be heard loud and clear everywhere in the house, and I'm pretty sure the neighbours can join in the fun too. I stupidly sank some of my hard-earned money into speakers when I bought this computer, which I don't ever get to use because I have to use this headset at all times if I want to hear anything at all. Do you know why I can only use my mic during skype calls at very specific times? Because those are the times that my brother isn't around! It'd be utterly impossible to make myself comprehensible over that volume, not to mention that it would disrupt the conversation entirely.

It also clears up why I don't seem to have watched any movies, like, at all. The tv is always occupied during the day. And when my brother goes to bed, my parents are just about dying to plop down on the couch and watch whatever. I'm fine with that, I can amuse myself with video games just as well, but watching tv is just never an option, unless I'm sick or home alone (or both). We have other tvs, of course, but those don't watch comfortably and have pretty tiny screens, being pretty cheap and just placed wherever there's space (like, just below the ceiling in the corner so you have to crane your neck up to see it).

Oh, and it's always christmas over here. And Sinterklaas too. He hopes that listening to those songs every day will make the day where presents suddenly materialise on the doorstep come faster. We already explained to him that it doesn't work like that, but he's stubborn as a mule, I tell you. I kinda find it funny when people complain over hearing christmas songs a month or two early, or that neighbour who neglected to put down his decorations until mid-february. Welcome to my world. Falalalala la-fvckin'-la.

Now you're probably wondering to yourself: "But how does this all connect to your relentless, black hatred for MLP and bronies?" Well, you see, I try my best to ignore my brother's music and shouting (yeah, he likes singing along. And combine that with his poor speech...), by distracting my mind with something else. Like, say, play video games, browse the internet... But then I encounter a group of people who are... you guessed it... completely obsessed with another. Fvcking. Kid's show. Do you have ANY idea how annoying it is to think you finally escaped something that chronically torments you, and then this happens? There's no place in heaven high where I may crawl away and die... And it doesn't help that bronies are ab-so-lute-ly EVERYWHERE. Like, if they fit in my kitchen cupboards, I bet I'd find them there too.

So I try to contain them somewhere where I won't have to see them constantly, but of course, if bronies are not discussing MLP, they're trolling people. And thus the struggle of the ages began, neither side willing to back down. It looks like I finally managed to get the situation under control, and ultimately I even had some fun crossing blades with Moff along the way.

But besides annoying me, there's one more thing about bronies that ticks me off... And that is that they baffle me. They defy everything I know. After so many years, it has become quite apperent to me that kid's shows are where writers are dumped who have absolutely NO creative flair; where failed careers are dragged towards and then shot. That's the only explanation! They all copy each other, never trying anything new, just dumping whatever wacky ideas they have, tack some trite morals about friendship and helping each other onto it, and boom! It doesn't MATTER that it's not creative, because the target audience doesn't have any experience in media and thus has no taste for quality. They'll eat anything up you'll throw at them. I mean, it's not like there's people who are forced to analyze our low-effort garbage day after day for twelve years, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... hah.

So how come that bronies not only willingly watch crap like that, but like, nay, love it? En masse? How?! You can't call such a large group a fluke succes. How?! If this many people found a quality in kid's shows that I couldn't find in twelve years, then what does that make me? I don't. Flippin'. Get it.

*pant* *pant* *pant*

So I'm stuck here, probably going to watch kid's shows some more for the next five years or so. Autism's a bitch, you look up to life changes such as living by yourself like a brick wall. I need to build up to that, school already provides me with a lot of stress. Until then... *sigh* I guess we go find out why it's so fun to have friends by your side. And then we'll do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

And tomorrow we'll do it alllll over again! Nighty-night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because I'm a complete idiot, I agreed to watch six episodes of MLP, so that I can say I gave it an honest try and so I can show exactly why I believe it sucks balls. After four episodes, I sold my soul for a free copy of Kerbal Space Program and am now obliged to watch another eight episodes on top of that (for a total of fourteen). If you're interested in seeing a crazy person scream at his monitor because people on the internet told him to stare at cartoon ponies for a few hours, keep reading.

Episodes reviewed:

Friendship is Magic, Part One
Fremdshep is Stoopid Mahjick, Part Too
The Ticked Master
Suited for Success
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Sonic Rainboom
Party of One
The Best Night Ever
Return of Harmony, Part One
Rhuturn ov Hawrmonee, Part Too
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
A Canterlot Wedding, Part One
A Kenterlawt Wuddin, Part Too
Winter Wrap up

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 03-21-2015 @ 09:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-08-14 09:28 AM CT (US)     176 / 476  
You know, what you're basically saying is "I never liked the episodes I gave you but you gotta trudge through them if you want to get to the good parts."

When the "good parts" are this elusive, then there might be a problem. It shouldn't take this long for it to pick up.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
posted 11-08-14 09:41 AM CT (US)     177 / 476  
No, no, no. I like the pilot, but it's not representative. And I like the remaining episodes.

So I'm sure they'll all get ratings of less than -50 now.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 11-09-14 07:41 PM CT (US)     178 / 476  
So I'm sure they'll all get ratings of less than -50 now.
We now have proof that Moff didn't actually think Sipia would like MLP and is just making him suffer.

#LikeAPolitician

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 11-09-2014 @ 07:42 PM).]

posted 11-10-14 05:52 AM CT (US)     179 / 476  
I didn't think that from the outset. I had hope.

Maybe there's still a little. The next three are pretty good. Perhaps enough to gently warm even Sippycup's stone heart. (Also, you should probably get that looked at; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be all fleshy and pumpy)

Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 11-10-2014 @ 05:53 AM).]

posted 11-10-14 09:34 AM CT (US)     180 / 476  

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios
posted 11-10-14 09:48 AM CT (US)     181 / 476  
We now have proof that Moff didn't actually think Sipia would like MLP and is just making him suffer.
Didn't you all?
I didn't think that from the outset. I had hope.
If I may ask an honest question, what were you expecting to happen? I already explained at the end of episode two that it's ludicrous to think people just swap moralities in an instant. I agreed to watch six episodes, and if I didn't give them an honest try you'd have no doubt noticed from my commentary, so it's not like I'm at fault.

No, let me rephrase the question. What the difference between the average brony's experience and mine? Tough question, probably, but that's what I set out to discover in the first place. At least then I'll know the enemy from now on...
Perhaps enough to gently warm even Sippycup's stone heart. (Also, you should probably get that looked at; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be all fleshy and pumpy)
Oh, but *of course* I have a heart like everyone else! I keep it in a jar on my bedside table which I shake before going to sleep every night.

Ooh, look, it hates me so much!

posted 11-10-14 10:17 AM CT (US)     182 / 476  
If I may ask an honest question, what were you expecting to happen?
Basically, what has happened. That's what I expected, and I won't say I hoped you'd become a fan. That's much too far.

But perhaps hate it slightly less, recognize where it has decent quality.

I don't care if you hate it on the grounds of personal taste or just the fandom's sheer obnoxiousness. But grouping it with, say, Bob the Builder... now that just hurts. <_<

posted 11-10-14 10:43 AM CT (US)     183 / 476  
But grouping it with, say, Bob the Builder... now that just hurts. <_<
Well, so far, I have yet to notice a particular qualitative difference between the two...

...Minus the annoying tendency to break into song.

AKA it seems to be slightly worse to me right now, so let's hope the next three episodes convince me otherwise.

And you haven't answered the other question:
What the difference between the average brony's experience and mine?

posted 11-10-14 10:51 AM CT (US)     184 / 476  
I'm not sure. Depends on what an "average Brony" is. I went into it curious after initial skepticism, another HG convert went into skeptical but open-minded, and another was spitting fire and brimstone the whole way... now he takes pictures of himself with his giant plushies.

So, um... I dunno.

posted 11-10-14 11:03 AM CT (US)     185 / 476  
and another was spitting fire and brimstone the whole way... now he takes pictures of himself with his giant plushies.
That is quite the transformation... 0_o

posted 11-10-14 04:13 PM CT (US)     186 / 476  
So there's hope for you!

I think I gave you a decent selection, though.

posted 11-11-14 06:47 AM CT (US)     187 / 476  
Speaking of Celestia being a massive troll...
http://cheezburger.com/8374376960#comments

LIES

posted 11-11-14 10:35 AM CT (US)     188 / 476  
That's not trolling, that's just lazy. How'd she stay in power for over a thousand years? I mean, there's only so many "students" you can delegate to.

...You know, this is starting to sound very familiar.

posted 11-11-14 11:36 AM CT (US)     189 / 476  
I went into it curious after initial skepticism, another HG convert went into skeptical but open-minded, and another was spitting fire and brimstone the whole way... now he takes pictures of himself with his giant plushies.
So who was the one spitting fire and brimstone?

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 11-11-14 11:52 AM CT (US)     190 / 476  
Sarthos.

posted 11-20-14 10:10 AM CT (US)     191 / 476  
Good morning, folks!

Oh, who am I kidding. It's not even morning over here, let alone a good one.

SUITED FOR SUCCESS

If clothes make the man, then what makes the woman? These questions keep me up at night.

0:05
...It's an episode starring Rarity.

0:20
Bragging. Duckface. Fourth circle of hell. No questions.

0:35
"What's that? You wanna help me more? Aren't you the sweetest thing."
How do you interpret that from a disgruntled meow?
Oh, right. You didn't. You're just a horrible person. Pony. Whatever.

0:45
"This shouldn't take long at all."
You know, as snooty as that cat looks, I really feel sorry for it right now. We all know what it means when a lady says that.

2:30
"Thank you for your generosity, Rarity."
I guess that's why they gave her that element; it's the single solitary redeeming trait she has.

3:05
"Just don't make then too... Fru-fru."
Oh, she'd never. >_>

3:11
Yeah, come in through the ceiling, is real fvcking cool. USING THE FRONT DOOR IS COOL.

3:28
"Outfit for the what, now?"
You know, the gala. You spent the entire last episode I watched begging for it. How short is your memory span?

3:35
"Oh, and when I'm done, we can hold our very own fashion show!"
..........Thrilling... >_>
The constant reminder that I'm watching a etc. etc. is not doing my mood any wonders. (-2)

3:45
"...But it'll be a wonderful boost to my business!"
Ah-ha. I knew it wasn't selfless at all. You know, whoever wrote this show seems really intent on adding an ulterior motive for every single example of Rarity being generous.

3:48
"I love fun things!"
Whod've thunk it.

4:12
"You make it sound as if it's going to be hard!"
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my Murphy's Law alarm going haywire.

4:16
OH
OH BOY
IT'S THIS AGAIN
EVERYONE'S FAVORITE PART OF THE DAY
SONG TIME (-10)
KILL ME PLS

5:05
"Dressmaking's easy! For Pinkie Pie, something pink!"
I think it being easy has to do with the fact that you're using zero imagination.

5:30
And a rainbow dress for Rainbow... You must've minored in imaginationery.

6:11-6:39
#Humblebrag
I love how she really seems so proud of her "idea" of making Pinkie's dress pink. I MEAN IT'S NOT LIKE THAT'S THE FIRST WORD THAT COMES TO MIND WHEN YOU HEAR HER NAME.

6:46
ERROR 404: Brains not found

8:00
"What have I gotten myself into?"
You hoisted this upon yourself. Twice. Don't expect me to feel sorry.

Look, I can already see where this is going. They *are* going to impose and she is going to have a mental breakdown near the end because of it, and then the moral of the story is to be grateful for things you get for free even if they're not to your liking. But that doesn't work, because Rarity is EXTREMELY insistent that they're honest with her and get the dresses they want. If you can't take the heat... (-5)

8:58-9:12
...You know what this earns ya? Plus points. (+5)
To be honest, I was planning to rant about how one-dimensional Fluttershy has been so far at the first opportunity. I mean, a shy nature lover. Wow, thanks, you shouldn't have, toss it on the pile. But now they actually went and made her a tad more interesting.

9:28
Oh, going for round two? Urgh. (-10)

10:58
"I just want my dress to be... cool."
They're setting this up as if this is far too vague to achieve, but it's actually really easy. All you need is add a pair of sunglasses to it. Instant cool.

11:07
"It needs to be about 20% cooler."
OH LOOK IT'S THAT MEME.

13:40 - 13:44
Are these four seconds really all it takes to make bronies everywhere go apeshit?

13:55
Hey look at that, it's the crowd of obvious duplicates again! (-5)

14:13
HOLY JESUS WHAT IS THAT

14:19
Applejack's expression basically says it all. Soooo high.

14:35
"Why's everypony looking at us like that?"
Well, it's a fashion show, what were you expecting?

14:58
Visual humor, laugh track goes here, ha ha ha ha.

15:57
"You're not a laughing stock, Rarity."
"She kind of is!"
No, she's not. She's yet to make me laugh.

16:16
"I don't even know what I'm supposed to wallow in!"
Oh Christ, the waterworks.

16:30
"She'll become a crazy cat lady!"
"She only has one cat."
"Give it time..."
Well, could be worse. Some people prefer the company of pony dolls, would you believe...

17:48
"I LOVE IT!"
Aww, would've been funnier if she started nitpicking it. Wasted opportunity.

18:25
Well, look who conveniently materialised out of thin air. (-5)

18:48-20:10
You can tell that they're better than the previous ones because they each get a dramatic animation.
Also:
"And I suddenly have a fierce craving for some Dutch apple pie..."
Our apple pies are that famous? Huh, I never knew.

20:48
"And I learned this: when somepony offers to do you a favor- like making you a beautiful dress- you shouldn't be overly critical of something generously given to you."
See? I called it. That's not their fault. It was Rarity that continuously insisted they throw every criticism they have at her. She literally backed Fluttershy against a wall, for God's sake. So I guess the moral of the story is "Be a more convincing liar, lest your overachieving friend gives herself a stroke." (-5)

21:00
"In other words: you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth."
*rimshot*

21:25
"Now, I need you to make a dozen of each dress for me by next Tuesday."
*nervous twitch*
You wanted a boost to your business, and you got it. Life gave you a generous gift, so don't criticize it now!

So now I really know the art of the dress.

Good, I needed that. Now I'm set for life.

Final score: -37

Now if you'll excuse me, my left temple has an appointment with a powerdrill. ...It's a fashion statement.

posted 11-20-14 10:27 AM CT (US)     192 / 476  
That was hilarious, Sipia. Keep going and don't die of pony overdose!

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 11-20-14 10:40 AM CT (US)     193 / 476  
18:48-20:10
You can tell that they're better than the previous ones because they each get a dramatic animation.
Also:
"And I suddenly have a fierce craving for some Dutch apple pie..."
Our apple pies are that famous? Huh, I never knew.
You forgot the +5.

But see? The scores are slowly improving. <_<

Unfortunately, I was actually thinking of scrubbing this one in favor of the Season One finale. Now I can't. You big dumb... Rarity.

Hmm. I'm trying to decide about Sonic Rainboom. On the one hand, no songs (that's +20, right?). On the other... no psychotic meltdowns. Hmm. Damn.

posted 11-20-14 10:46 AM CT (US)     194 / 476  
You forgot the +5.
Nah, I don't like apple pie.
But see? The scores are slowly improving. <_<
Ah, but they also dropped significantly after episode one. It's mostly got to do with how many things I have to fling shit at talk about. I guess in that sense the Sippycup points system isn't particularly reliable, but eh.
Hmm. I'm trying to decide about Sonic Rainboom. On the one hand, no songs (that's +20, right?).
No, just lack of -10s. :p
On the other... no psychotic meltdowns. Hmm. Damn.
I'll probably do that for you anyway.

At any rate, you've got a week or two, maybe three, to decide.

EDIT: WHAT IS IT WITH THE :p SMILEY AND RANDOMLY BREAKING FOR ME

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 11-20-2014 @ 10:47 AM).]

posted 11-20-14 10:48 AM CT (US)     195 / 476  
Hmmm... Damn it. Sonic Rainboom is a fan favorite, and a great Rainbow episode.

You know what? We'll keep it. You'll just have to want to watch The Grand Galloping Gala on your own. <_<

posted 11-20-14 10:54 AM CT (US)     196 / 476  
You'll just have to want to watch The Grand Galloping Gala on your own. <_<
Likely.

posted 11-20-14 11:07 AM CT (US)     197 / 476  
If, by some bizarre happenstance, you're willing to extend your trial... I can keep coming up with lists. <_<

posted 11-20-14 11:19 AM CT (US)     198 / 476  
If, by some bizarre happenstance, you're willing to extend your trial... I can keep coming up with lists. <_<
Well, unless the remaining two episodes produce a miracle... No.

...Actually... There is one way. I highly doubt you'd agree with my terms, though.

posted 11-20-14 11:25 AM CT (US)     199 / 476  
I'm not going to kiss you or Popey. <_<

posted 11-20-14 12:04 PM CT (US)     200 / 476  
Oh, no. The one thing that could convince me to keep on watching... is MONEY, dear boy.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The story of how Sipia went insane
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames