Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The story of how Sipia went insane
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 10-02-14 02:10 PM CT (US)   
So... You have come to hear the tale of how I lost my marbles.

And if you didn't, why'd you open this thread? C'mon man, it's in the freaking title. You're not very good at reading, are you?

*ahem*

Anyway, before I begin, I must warn you that this delves quite a bit into my past, and thus you may not look at me the same way again after reading this. I dunno, I've never been good at predicting other people's reactions to what I say, but I figured I'd just throw that out there.

So, enough beating around the bush. Let's get to it.

This story takes us back to spring of 2000. Yeah, remember that time? Well I don't, because I was three years old at the time. I still know the exact date, though. How, you ask? Because that's the birthday of my only sibling, my younger brother.

Now, before I proceed, a quick disclaimer: I love my brother and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. Don't let anything I'm about to say misguide you.

That said, there's two things you need to know about my brother. The first thing became apperent immediately after his birth, or even a little while before that; he wasn't entirely... normal, so to speak. He had an extra chromosome in his 21st pair, a condition we usually refer to as down syndrome. To go on top of that, he has dyspraxia, a neurological disorder that hampers his learning in finer movement and speech- which indirectly means that he learns everything even slower than the average down syndrome child, since it can take quite some time to get him to understand something. It's a very odd experience to have a brother like that, because you don't really get to play the usual big brother role. I can't help him with his problems, our levels of comprehension are leagues apart which only gets worse over time, you can't really have an in-depth conversation with him (he understands simple yes/no questions most of the time, but even then we can never be sure), you can't play games together (unless you like intentionally losing at memory card games)...

But I'm getting off track. Where was I?

Ah, yes. The second thing you need to know about my brother that's relevant to this story is something I learned when he turned two years old. You see, as it turned out, he freakin' loves watching television. When he discovered it, he would do nothing but watch tv for hours on end. Of course, I was still five, so I wasn't much different. But as I moved on to other things- video games, primarily- he stuck to watching tv, day in, day out.

Now on to the kicker. What happens when you put these two factors together? Very slow learning plus love for tv shows... It means that he's easily satisfied with watching the same episode of a show twice in a row. Or three times. Or four. Or five. Or maybe just fifteen. It just doesn't bore him. He accumulates new information so slowly that the repetition just doesn't bother him. But that's not all. Most kids, when they grow older, start watching new shows to accomodate for their psychological aging. My brother, however, ages very, very... very slowly. And as such, he doesn't need to watch new shows. The old ones will do fine. You wanna know how bad it is? I remember it even now, the show that he first started watching when he turned two. So many years did that show entertain him to no end. How many years exactly? I don't know! Because he still watches it to this day. I can hear it as I write, in fact.

Do you realise how excrucatingly dull it is to a developing mind like mine to be fed the same information year after year after year? It's been twelve years, and he just won't. stop. watching that show. Thankfully, he started watching other shows over the years (for the same target age as the first one, mind), but that's only temporary mercy; those too got engraved into my skull from sheer repetition in time.

What didn't help either is that my brother just plain ol' loves playing music as loud as possible. And that's really, really loud. My parents and I have warned him so many times that he'll make himself deaf one of these days, but he's just too stubborn to listen. His music can be heard loud and clear everywhere in the house, and I'm pretty sure the neighbours can join in the fun too. I stupidly sank some of my hard-earned money into speakers when I bought this computer, which I don't ever get to use because I have to use this headset at all times if I want to hear anything at all. Do you know why I can only use my mic during skype calls at very specific times? Because those are the times that my brother isn't around! It'd be utterly impossible to make myself comprehensible over that volume, not to mention that it would disrupt the conversation entirely.

It also clears up why I don't seem to have watched any movies, like, at all. The tv is always occupied during the day. And when my brother goes to bed, my parents are just about dying to plop down on the couch and watch whatever. I'm fine with that, I can amuse myself with video games just as well, but watching tv is just never an option, unless I'm sick or home alone (or both). We have other tvs, of course, but those don't watch comfortably and have pretty tiny screens, being pretty cheap and just placed wherever there's space (like, just below the ceiling in the corner so you have to crane your neck up to see it).

Oh, and it's always christmas over here. And Sinterklaas too. He hopes that listening to those songs every day will make the day where presents suddenly materialise on the doorstep come faster. We already explained to him that it doesn't work like that, but he's stubborn as a mule, I tell you. I kinda find it funny when people complain over hearing christmas songs a month or two early, or that neighbour who neglected to put down his decorations until mid-february. Welcome to my world. Falalalala la-fvckin'-la.

Now you're probably wondering to yourself: "But how does this all connect to your relentless, black hatred for MLP and bronies?" Well, you see, I try my best to ignore my brother's music and shouting (yeah, he likes singing along. And combine that with his poor speech...), by distracting my mind with something else. Like, say, play video games, browse the internet... But then I encounter a group of people who are... you guessed it... completely obsessed with another. Fvcking. Kid's show. Do you have ANY idea how annoying it is to think you finally escaped something that chronically torments you, and then this happens? There's no place in heaven high where I may crawl away and die... And it doesn't help that bronies are ab-so-lute-ly EVERYWHERE. Like, if they fit in my kitchen cupboards, I bet I'd find them there too.

So I try to contain them somewhere where I won't have to see them constantly, but of course, if bronies are not discussing MLP, they're trolling people. And thus the struggle of the ages began, neither side willing to back down. It looks like I finally managed to get the situation under control, and ultimately I even had some fun crossing blades with Moff along the way.

But besides annoying me, there's one more thing about bronies that ticks me off... And that is that they baffle me. They defy everything I know. After so many years, it has become quite apperent to me that kid's shows are where writers are dumped who have absolutely NO creative flair; where failed careers are dragged towards and then shot. That's the only explanation! They all copy each other, never trying anything new, just dumping whatever wacky ideas they have, tack some trite morals about friendship and helping each other onto it, and boom! It doesn't MATTER that it's not creative, because the target audience doesn't have any experience in media and thus has no taste for quality. They'll eat anything up you'll throw at them. I mean, it's not like there's people who are forced to analyze our low-effort garbage day after day for twelve years, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... hah.

So how come that bronies not only willingly watch crap like that, but like, nay, love it? En masse? How?! You can't call such a large group a fluke succes. How?! If this many people found a quality in kid's shows that I couldn't find in twelve years, then what does that make me? I don't. Flippin'. Get it.

*pant* *pant* *pant*

So I'm stuck here, probably going to watch kid's shows some more for the next five years or so. Autism's a bitch, you look up to life changes such as living by yourself like a brick wall. I need to build up to that, school already provides me with a lot of stress. Until then... *sigh* I guess we go find out why it's so fun to have friends by your side. And then we'll do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

And tomorrow we'll do it alllll over again! Nighty-night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because I'm a complete idiot, I agreed to watch six episodes of MLP, so that I can say I gave it an honest try and so I can show exactly why I believe it sucks balls. After four episodes, I sold my soul for a free copy of Kerbal Space Program and am now obliged to watch another eight episodes on top of that (for a total of fourteen). If you're interested in seeing a crazy person scream at his monitor because people on the internet told him to stare at cartoon ponies for a few hours, keep reading.

Episodes reviewed:

Friendship is Magic, Part One
Fremdshep is Stoopid Mahjick, Part Too
The Ticked Master
Suited for Success
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Sonic Rainboom
Party of One
The Best Night Ever
Return of Harmony, Part One
Rhuturn ov Hawrmonee, Part Too
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
A Canterlot Wedding, Part One
A Kenterlawt Wuddin, Part Too
Winter Wrap up

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 03-21-2015 @ 09:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-04-14 12:43 PM CT (US)     51 / 476  
Mmmmh. I haven't had the opportunity to watch yet.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
posted 10-04-14 12:51 PM CT (US)     52 / 476  
I've only watched one episode of MLP, but I think you guys are overly optimistic in getting him to change his opinions on the show.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 10-04-14 12:53 PM CT (US)     53 / 476  
I'm well aware that I'm on a fool's errand, but I think I owe the show at least a honest try for all the time I spent raging at it.

posted 10-04-14 07:13 PM CT (US)     54 / 476  
You owe it nothing. The people telling you to watch it just have shit taste.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 10-04-14 07:35 PM CT (US)     55 / 476  
Shouldn't you be watching something involving underage-but-extremely-busty schoolgirls, tentacles, and giant robots?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 10-04-14 07:42 PM CT (US)     56 / 476  
I prefer the shows about shy girls who are trying to confess feelings to boys way out of their league who still love them anyway because childhood friendship.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 10-04-14 07:47 PM CT (US)     57 / 476  
Well, you're in luck, Moff. I found an opportunity to sit down and have a look at it already. Found this site called Vimeo, it works well enough. I'll just post my commemtary in this thread, the title is appropiate enough.

Anyway, for this commentary, I'm introducing... Drum roll please... Sippycup points! Every time I see something I don't like, I'm deducting points, based on the severity (-1 or -2 for pet peeves, -5 for minor mistakes or pissing me off somehow, -10 for glaring flaws, -15 for giant plotholes, and more than that if this show decides to really step on my toes). The reverse is of course, also true (+1 or +2 for those little things that keep you going, +5 for getting a giggle out of me, +10 for admirable things, +15 for making me eat my words, or more than that for... I dunno, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it).

The balance starts at 0 each episode. If it's still at 0 or above by the end of it, I'll consider the episode "decent enough".

One more thing; the question I'm asking here is not "Is MLP a good kid's show?". What I'm asking is "Does Sipia like MLP?" And there's only one person in the universe that has an opinion about that. And if you have a problem with that, you can go watch a professional review or something. Basically what I'm saying is, "It's a kid's show" is never a valid excuse for any flaw to me.

All that said, let's get going.

FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, PART ONE

Ohh, I have fought with this diabolical Stephen King monster before, and I'm back to face my fears and go up against it once again... Why? Because it's my fate, or destiny, or something like that. ...No, they're just gonna kill me again, why am I doing this?

Meh, no sense stalling. I guess I promised.

0:00 - 1:30
Uh huh, yeah, hmm-hmm. Uhh, one question: Is all that going to be on the test?

1:40 - 2:10
Ooookay, skipping that, thank you very much.

2:38
"I know I've heard of the elements of harmony!"
Saying that to yourself aloud is one thing. Doing it a second time moments later, while running (Okay, galloping, whatever), is another. Weirdo. (-1)
I'm deducting a point because she's obviously talking to the audience. When she just finished obviously talking to the audience before the intro. Do they think I have the memory capacity of a flea or something?

2:54
"Spike! Spiiike! Spike? There you are!"
So when you're looking for someone, the last place you look is right in front of you. Okay, you're really weird.

3:28
Poor fella.

4:33
I take that last statement back. Having a scribe/assistant that doesn't even know how to spell "brink" must be severely frustrating.

5:19
"It's imperative that the princess is told right away!"
I think if something that's been cooking for a thousand years is about to come to a boil, she'd know already. I mean, it's only her sister.

5:49
...Wat. That can't be practical in day-to-day affairs. :s
Also, the princess writes FAST.

6:05
"But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!"
You said "trust you completely". I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hmm, six minutes in and only one point lost. Not as bad as I thought. Still, that's one point too many.

6:26
"Make some friends!" *groan*
I know, right.

6:52
"But the fate of Equestria does not rest on me making friends."
You just had to jinx it, didn't you?

7:32
...Don't you end up with severely bruised apples if you pick them like that? I mean, apples that have fallen from the tree instead of being picked with a ladder or summat tend to be of the cheapest variety.

8:13
"Soooooooup's on!"
And then at 8:50 we see everything EXCEPT for soup. I'll never understand this.

9:00
"I can see the food situation is handled..."
Except for, you know, guests who don't like apples. Or have an allergy. But screw them, amirite?

9:05
STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT. That hurts me right in the testosterone. (-5)

9:11, 9:16
I only got a quick glance and I already noticed several duplicates in that crowd. A pair of them even standing almost next to each other. Recycling models is okay, but couldn't you at least do a couple recolors?! (-5)

9:42
Nice landing. Can you take off again now? >_>

10:23
"Lemme guess. You're Rainbow Dash."
What gave it away? The rainbow part, or the dashing part?

11:05
"Hey, I can clear the sky in ten seconds flat!"
Annnnd an annoying meme is born!

11:21
You used jumpcuts. Cheating.

11:51
"Decorations... Beautiful."
If you like banners, yeah. Lots and lots of banners.

13:22
"We're going to be the best of friends, you and I."
All because she hails from (what I'm making out to be) a high-class city. Well, at least they're portraying what friendship really means most of the time, but this is not really making Rarity seem any more sympathetic- I already don't like her one bit, to be quite honest. Which isn't good, because I know she's going to be one of the protagonists. (-5)

14:34 - 14:46
How'd they ever convince her to take charge of the music for a national celebration if she can't even introduce herself without clamming up?

16:34
And this is why you should never make friends.

16:51
...Now I remember what my very first contact with MLP was.

Not a fantastic start, needless to say. SHADDUP. (-5)

17:38
"Hot sauce..."
That's a rather delayed reaction then. She was drinking for like five seconds before she noticed that maybe her drink was tasting funny.

19:57
"She's gone!" *collective gasp*
What, it took you this long to notice?

20:13
Oooh, a villain. I'll be keeping a checklist. Don't ask, you'll find out.

20:30
"Why? Am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?"
Boasting, check...

20:43
"Does my crown no longer count now that I've been imprisoned for a thousand years...?"
Monologuing, check...

21:20
And there we have the evil laugh. With thunder claps to boot!

...Aaand that was the first episode. Not all THAT many point deductions, but also zero good factors, not even a little thing. These whole twenty minutes bored me to tears, so I'm sorry if the commentary isn't as colorful as you expected (I myself was expecting a lot more to talk about). I'm willing to forgive that, though; being the first episode, and then only the first half of a two-parter, they're pretty much forced to do a lot of boring exposition and introducing. And it gave me a little time to deal with this sinking feeling I get from actually seriously trying out a show aimed at preteen girls. Still, I do hope something interesting happens in the next episode.

Score total for this episode: -21

So now you know a little about how I think and what I don't like. We'll just have to wait for the opportunity for me to show what I do like. If you want to change your episode choices based on that, feel free to. You can also argue against my criticisms, but bear in mind that I have no obligation to agree with you on anything.

posted 10-04-14 07:51 PM CT (US)     58 / 476  
posted 10-04-14 07:51 PM CT (US)     59 / 476  
Okay.

posted 10-04-14 08:00 PM CT (US)     60 / 476  
I read it to confirm my preestablished biases.

posted 10-04-14 08:02 PM CT (US)     61 / 476  
Okay.
I love you, you little robot. Come, let me hold you. Come to daddy.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
posted 10-04-14 08:02 PM CT (US)     62 / 476  
I abstained from reading it.

Foreskins.

What do you get when you gobble down sweets?
Eating as much as an elephant eats?
What are you at getting terribly fat?
What do you think will come of that?
"Actually, my foreskin was stuck at the point where the pink bulb starts, and they cut it free."-Stroke
"Tonight, I pulled it back a bit too far and the opening of my foreskin is stuck beneath the head of my penis." -Pears
posted 10-04-14 08:06 PM CT (US)     63 / 476  
Freud would have loved you.

posted 10-04-14 08:09 PM CT (US)     64 / 476  
JUST LIKE YOUR MOM DOES!

Jesus HATES you.

I was once a normal Titan but then I decided to be King.
I have 2500 in the fastest splash splash ever. Suck it
posted 10-04-14 08:09 PM CT (US)     65 / 476  
Old men are often the most experienced lovers, so it sounds win-win to me.

What do you get when you gobble down sweets?
Eating as much as an elephant eats?
What are you at getting terribly fat?
What do you think will come of that?
"Actually, my foreskin was stuck at the point where the pink bulb starts, and they cut it free."-Stroke
"Tonight, I pulled it back a bit too far and the opening of my foreskin is stuck beneath the head of my penis." -Pears
posted 10-04-14 08:13 PM CT (US)     66 / 476  
Freud would have loved you.
Freud was such a hack. Did you hear that he plagiarized Ingo van Thiel's Ulio?

posted 10-04-14 08:15 PM CT (US)     67 / 476  
Ingo van Thiel plagiarised Freud. True story

posted 10-04-14 08:17 PM CT (US)     68 / 476  
LIES. Ingo has been into incest FAR longer than Freud. In fact, one could say incest is all that keeps the Blacksmith going!

posted 10-04-14 08:22 PM CT (US)     69 / 476  
You're wrong!

posted 10-04-14 08:28 PM CT (US)     70 / 476  
You're wrong!
Wrong as an adjective, or a noun? Also, are you sure I'm not just ironic? Like a fly in my vodka, or a rain on my wedding?

Also, on the topic: my Muay Thai instructor is the toughest, manliest motherf*cker on the planet. Literally gave us a demonstration of how to scare away wild dogs by shouting loudly in a dominant stance, and it scared everyone in the building. But he's a Bronie. A hardcore one. I thought people were joking, until I asked him. "Well, it's actually a very intelligent show." Out of fear for my life, I didn't go deeper and ask "WHYYYY."

posted 10-04-14 08:28 PM CT (US)     71 / 476  
And it gave me a little time to deal with this sinking feeling I get from actually seriously trying out a show aimed at preteen girls.
Well, it is the pilot.

And I don't think anyone denies the core audience--then at least, it might be debatable in current seasons--is young girls. But there's a difference between "made for young girls to the exclusion of everything else" and "made for young girls, but should hopefully keep siblings/parents forced to watch from jamming a knife through their eye socket." <_<

I just happen to believe it's the latter. >_>

And I did read because I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say, Sipia.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 10-04-14 09:23 PM CT (US)     72 / 476  
I read it to confirm my preestablished biases.
QFT
Freud was such a hack. Did you hear that he plagiarized Ingo van Thiel's Ulio?
Wasn't that Oedipus and isn't that story much older than Freud..?
posted 10-04-14 09:55 PM CT (US)     73 / 476  
Wasn't that Oedipus and isn't that story much older than Freud..?
Oedipus plagarized Ingo, hard, but the author also stole a word from Freud's plagerization to cover his tracks. "Oedipus" was just some random word Freud decided on, based on concepts in Ingo's original incest story (see, cuz "Ulio complex" would be too blatant).

Then, one day in ancient Greece or whatever, somebody played Ulio and decided, "Oh, this could really work well as a book!". Noticing that Freud had already stole Ingo's ideas, he decided "Why not claim I based this on Freud's open-source work?" Now the main character is named "Oedipus".

It's a complicated web, but plagery is a plagery, John.

posted 10-04-14 09:57 PM CT (US)     74 / 476  
So basically the Greek mythology plagiarized Ingo & Freud.
posted 10-04-14 10:01 PM CT (US)     75 / 476  
So basically the Greek mythology plagiarized Ingo & Freud.
That is more or less exactly what I'm claiming, John. Mostly Ingo, though. But, if you think about it, John, even Greek mythology is based on concepts developed in AoE and AoK.

I bet you're wondering what I'm implying by that, John. I'm saying, John, that AoE and AoK were created by Ingo as a medium in which to convey his ideas. So Greek mythology plagerized Ingo too, John.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The story of how Sipia went insane
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames