Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The story of how Sipia went insane
« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14 15 16 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 10-02-14 02:10 PM CT (US)   
So... You have come to hear the tale of how I lost my marbles.

And if you didn't, why'd you open this thread? C'mon man, it's in the freaking title. You're not very good at reading, are you?

*ahem*

Anyway, before I begin, I must warn you that this delves quite a bit into my past, and thus you may not look at me the same way again after reading this. I dunno, I've never been good at predicting other people's reactions to what I say, but I figured I'd just throw that out there.

So, enough beating around the bush. Let's get to it.

This story takes us back to spring of 2000. Yeah, remember that time? Well I don't, because I was three years old at the time. I still know the exact date, though. How, you ask? Because that's the birthday of my only sibling, my younger brother.

Now, before I proceed, a quick disclaimer: I love my brother and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. Don't let anything I'm about to say misguide you.

That said, there's two things you need to know about my brother. The first thing became apperent immediately after his birth, or even a little while before that; he wasn't entirely... normal, so to speak. He had an extra chromosome in his 21st pair, a condition we usually refer to as down syndrome. To go on top of that, he has dyspraxia, a neurological disorder that hampers his learning in finer movement and speech- which indirectly means that he learns everything even slower than the average down syndrome child, since it can take quite some time to get him to understand something. It's a very odd experience to have a brother like that, because you don't really get to play the usual big brother role. I can't help him with his problems, our levels of comprehension are leagues apart which only gets worse over time, you can't really have an in-depth conversation with him (he understands simple yes/no questions most of the time, but even then we can never be sure), you can't play games together (unless you like intentionally losing at memory card games)...

But I'm getting off track. Where was I?

Ah, yes. The second thing you need to know about my brother that's relevant to this story is something I learned when he turned two years old. You see, as it turned out, he freakin' loves watching television. When he discovered it, he would do nothing but watch tv for hours on end. Of course, I was still five, so I wasn't much different. But as I moved on to other things- video games, primarily- he stuck to watching tv, day in, day out.

Now on to the kicker. What happens when you put these two factors together? Very slow learning plus love for tv shows... It means that he's easily satisfied with watching the same episode of a show twice in a row. Or three times. Or four. Or five. Or maybe just fifteen. It just doesn't bore him. He accumulates new information so slowly that the repetition just doesn't bother him. But that's not all. Most kids, when they grow older, start watching new shows to accomodate for their psychological aging. My brother, however, ages very, very... very slowly. And as such, he doesn't need to watch new shows. The old ones will do fine. You wanna know how bad it is? I remember it even now, the show that he first started watching when he turned two. So many years did that show entertain him to no end. How many years exactly? I don't know! Because he still watches it to this day. I can hear it as I write, in fact.

Do you realise how excrucatingly dull it is to a developing mind like mine to be fed the same information year after year after year? It's been twelve years, and he just won't. stop. watching that show. Thankfully, he started watching other shows over the years (for the same target age as the first one, mind), but that's only temporary mercy; those too got engraved into my skull from sheer repetition in time.

What didn't help either is that my brother just plain ol' loves playing music as loud as possible. And that's really, really loud. My parents and I have warned him so many times that he'll make himself deaf one of these days, but he's just too stubborn to listen. His music can be heard loud and clear everywhere in the house, and I'm pretty sure the neighbours can join in the fun too. I stupidly sank some of my hard-earned money into speakers when I bought this computer, which I don't ever get to use because I have to use this headset at all times if I want to hear anything at all. Do you know why I can only use my mic during skype calls at very specific times? Because those are the times that my brother isn't around! It'd be utterly impossible to make myself comprehensible over that volume, not to mention that it would disrupt the conversation entirely.

It also clears up why I don't seem to have watched any movies, like, at all. The tv is always occupied during the day. And when my brother goes to bed, my parents are just about dying to plop down on the couch and watch whatever. I'm fine with that, I can amuse myself with video games just as well, but watching tv is just never an option, unless I'm sick or home alone (or both). We have other tvs, of course, but those don't watch comfortably and have pretty tiny screens, being pretty cheap and just placed wherever there's space (like, just below the ceiling in the corner so you have to crane your neck up to see it).

Oh, and it's always christmas over here. And Sinterklaas too. He hopes that listening to those songs every day will make the day where presents suddenly materialise on the doorstep come faster. We already explained to him that it doesn't work like that, but he's stubborn as a mule, I tell you. I kinda find it funny when people complain over hearing christmas songs a month or two early, or that neighbour who neglected to put down his decorations until mid-february. Welcome to my world. Falalalala la-fvckin'-la.

Now you're probably wondering to yourself: "But how does this all connect to your relentless, black hatred for MLP and bronies?" Well, you see, I try my best to ignore my brother's music and shouting (yeah, he likes singing along. And combine that with his poor speech...), by distracting my mind with something else. Like, say, play video games, browse the internet... But then I encounter a group of people who are... you guessed it... completely obsessed with another. Fvcking. Kid's show. Do you have ANY idea how annoying it is to think you finally escaped something that chronically torments you, and then this happens? There's no place in heaven high where I may crawl away and die... And it doesn't help that bronies are ab-so-lute-ly EVERYWHERE. Like, if they fit in my kitchen cupboards, I bet I'd find them there too.

So I try to contain them somewhere where I won't have to see them constantly, but of course, if bronies are not discussing MLP, they're trolling people. And thus the struggle of the ages began, neither side willing to back down. It looks like I finally managed to get the situation under control, and ultimately I even had some fun crossing blades with Moff along the way.

But besides annoying me, there's one more thing about bronies that ticks me off... And that is that they baffle me. They defy everything I know. After so many years, it has become quite apperent to me that kid's shows are where writers are dumped who have absolutely NO creative flair; where failed careers are dragged towards and then shot. That's the only explanation! They all copy each other, never trying anything new, just dumping whatever wacky ideas they have, tack some trite morals about friendship and helping each other onto it, and boom! It doesn't MATTER that it's not creative, because the target audience doesn't have any experience in media and thus has no taste for quality. They'll eat anything up you'll throw at them. I mean, it's not like there's people who are forced to analyze our low-effort garbage day after day for twelve years, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... hah.

So how come that bronies not only willingly watch crap like that, but like, nay, love it? En masse? How?! You can't call such a large group a fluke succes. How?! If this many people found a quality in kid's shows that I couldn't find in twelve years, then what does that make me? I don't. Flippin'. Get it.

*pant* *pant* *pant*

So I'm stuck here, probably going to watch kid's shows some more for the next five years or so. Autism's a bitch, you look up to life changes such as living by yourself like a brick wall. I need to build up to that, school already provides me with a lot of stress. Until then... *sigh* I guess we go find out why it's so fun to have friends by your side. And then we'll do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

And tomorrow we'll do it alllll over again! Nighty-night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because I'm a complete idiot, I agreed to watch six episodes of MLP, so that I can say I gave it an honest try and so I can show exactly why I believe it sucks balls. After four episodes, I sold my soul for a free copy of Kerbal Space Program and am now obliged to watch another eight episodes on top of that (for a total of fourteen). If you're interested in seeing a crazy person scream at his monitor because people on the internet told him to stare at cartoon ponies for a few hours, keep reading.

Episodes reviewed:

Friendship is Magic, Part One
Fremdshep is Stoopid Mahjick, Part Too
The Ticked Master
Suited for Success
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Sonic Rainboom
Party of One
The Best Night Ever
Return of Harmony, Part One
Rhuturn ov Hawrmonee, Part Too
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
A Canterlot Wedding, Part One
A Kenterlawt Wuddin, Part Too
Winter Wrap up

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late

[This message has been edited by Lord Sipia (edited 03-21-2015 @ 09:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-24-14 11:50 AM CT (US)     326 / 476  
You fail to notice the Pony sneaking up on you.

Roll for damage. <_<

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 12-24-14 11:56 AM CT (US)     327 / 476  
See? Ponies are a danger. If I don't swat them I take damage. >_>

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
posted 12-24-14 12:06 PM CT (US)     328 / 476  
Attack roll vs Flat Footed AC

16 v. 12

Rolling for damage:

OP Rogue Sneak attack bonus:

Popey Suffers 15 points of damage

There are some great pony rpg homebrews if anyone's interested.

[This message has been edited by Vinyl (edited 12-24-2014 @ 12:08 PM).]

posted 12-24-14 12:14 PM CT (US)     329 / 476  
Nah. Too busy working on my sci-fi thing. Which doesn't, sadly, involve talking magic Ponies.

...That's the Star Wars RPG.

Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
posted 12-24-14 12:23 PM CT (US)     330 / 476  
Well if you go the other way, you can always go tauntaun.
posted 12-24-14 12:29 PM CT (US)     331 / 476  
Oh, I'm sure there are My Tiny Tauntaun dolls. <_<

posted 12-24-14 12:35 PM CT (US)     332 / 476  
I'm running a campaign of a camel, a tauntaun, and an intangible ghost pony. It's f***ing beauitful.
posted 12-24-14 06:47 PM CT (US)     333 / 476  
Popey Suffers 15 points of damage
I'm obviously a JRPG character, so at level 1, I'd have about 500 HP.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 12-25-14 00:16 AM CT (US)     334 / 476  
I had this great DS JRPG dungeon crawler game which had no level caps or anything. I believe I reached a point at which my tank had 100,000,000,000 hp
posted 12-25-14 10:43 AM CT (US)     335 / 476  
I killed Yiazmat in FFXII

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 12-26-14 00:51 AM CT (US)     336 / 476  
Oh god that dickhead. I fought him for over an hour and then my healing spell got messed with and went back to full health and I was like ARRRRUGHGUHGGH. But yeah.

I thought you meant X-2 for a second. DRESS SPHERES! And shitty everything else

If we're going to nerd out about JRPGs, Xenoblade (and the soon to come pseudo sequel (Now with Pilotable mechs)) and Bravely Default come with my recommendations.

[This message has been edited by Vinyl (edited 12-26-2014 @ 00:55 AM).]

posted 12-26-14 08:28 AM CT (US)     337 / 476  
All you need is KotOR and Mass Effect. <_<

posted 12-26-14 10:23 AM CT (US)     338 / 476  
Not a fan as much. Kotor was pretty good.
posted 12-26-14 03:45 PM CT (US)     339 / 476  
Pony Warning: Ah Have Mah Donuts

posted 12-26-14 04:09 PM CT (US)     340 / 476  
Yeah, no, I'm not gonna touch that link.

posted 12-26-14 04:17 PM CT (US)     341 / 476  
It's about the rampant alcoholism in Equestria. Very moving PSA.

EDIT: In fact, it's based on one of your upcoming episodes!

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-26-2014 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 12-26-14 04:27 PM CT (US)     342 / 476  
It's about the rampant alcoholism in Equestria.
Yeah, if I were to live there, I think I'd resort to drowning it all in alcohol as well.
EDIT: In fact, it's based on one of your upcoming episodes!
All the more reason not to look at it! Wouldn't want to spoil myself, now would I?

posted 12-26-14 05:05 PM CT (US)     343 / 476  
Then look and include it in your review of Super Speedy Cider Squeezy.

posted 12-29-14 07:40 PM CT (US)     344 / 476  
Sipia, I'm so sorry for you.

Watching MLP is like a drug. A baaad drug.
A couple of your friends say "here try this out"
you insist not, because you know the harm it would cause
but after moar peer pressure you eventually give in
Some become addicted immediately, others take weeks, rarely is there someone completely immune
after addiction sets in you see everything differently
ponies
ponies
ponies
and
it's ok to like the show
even though everyone thinks you to be a freak
or you can't stop talking about it to the people don't judge
or you spend hours online discussing it
or you memorized the scripts of each episode
some OD, that's where Clop comes from
rarely does someone escape
the rest are trapped in perpetuum

Sipia stop now. Before it gets worse. kay? pls?

Life is bleak
My memes are bleak
Once upon a time
I ate a lime
posted 12-30-14 03:18 AM CT (US)     345 / 476  
I will fear no ponies. Ponies are to fear me. And a deal is a deal; I do not go back on my word unless I have to.

posted 12-30-14 06:00 AM CT (US)     346 / 476  
Yea, though he walks through the valley in the shadow of Friendship, he will fear no Ponies.

posted 01-03-15 05:09 PM CT (US)     347 / 476  
Back to work, I guess.

PARTY OF ONE

...Your table is ready. Please follow me.

0:16
Well, we're off to an amazing start, aren't we? No beating around the bush this time around, you're immediately going to remind me why I cannot stand you. >_> (-10)

0:58
"Next time I think I'll just pass out written invitations."
You do that. At least I can set those on fire without getting arrested.

2:11
"Aww, just a boring old apple! Don't worry there's plenty of other surprises in there!"
...I would stop reaching in there at that point.

3:00 - 3:25
Most boring dancing ever. And music to match, too. (-5)
Well, at least it's not another song.

3:49
"You shouldn't 'hit' the books. You should really just read them!"
Damn it, I've been doing it wrong all this time.

5:30
"Yep. Pick apples! 'Cause that's what we do with the, uh... apples. We... pick 'em."
Applejack's character depth summed up.

8:31
"Rarity has to wash her hair, Applejack has to pick apples, Twilight is behind on her studies and has to hit the books..."
...and you're throwing a party. Excuses, perhaps, but you've nicely pointed out how one-dimensional you all are. (-2)

8:53
"That didn't look like studying."
Well, she was "studying" your twitching using that method a few episodes ago.

9:11
Conspicuous suspended-in-midair tin can is conspicuous. (-1)
(HOW CAN YOU NOT NOTICE THAT.)

9:15
You sawed a hole through the ceiling/floor just to eavesdrop on customers? You are insane, aren't you?
Besides, that's a hoof-shaped hole. I heard equines can irreparably break their leg if they step in one of those. Sure, these have more... flexible... limbs, but it's still fairly dangerous.

9:31
"Hey, what's with the tin can?"
Oh, now you notice it. >_>

9:58
95% detected!

10:42
You know, I REALLY never understood what people find so funny about those Groucho Marx glasses. If anything, their omnipresence is getting quite old. (-1)

10:53
It's really a missed opportunity that they didn't use a cardboard box as a disguise. But I guess that no self-respecting espionage operative would ever use that.

11:27
There's a couple of things to note about these past few minutes. First off, that's obviously a cake they're transporting. And it's not in good shape, because they're constantly holding it at an angle, dropping it, etc.
Second off, if they're trying to be so shady about it, why do they transport it all over town first? >_> (-2)

11:54
...I'll admit, that's clever use of silhouettes. (+1)

13:14
"Yup! Construction, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it."
"Honesty", everyone. >_>

15:23
"Tell me my friends are all lying and avoiding me because they don't like my parties and they don't wanna be my friends any more!"
Now Pinkie, you know that's a leading... It's not even a question!

15:31
"Your friends are all... ...your friends any more!"
Now Spike, you know you're being a spineless douche in this situation by reinforcing the misunderstanding.

Okay, stop.
This right here is a group of friends pretending to have forgotten their friend's birthday so that they can throw a surprise party, which said friend is taking the completely wrong way.
That is a plotline that EVERY SINGLE KID'S SHOW EVER EVER EVER has used, and it's one I cannot stand because of it. When has this "surprise party" thing not gone wrong? And why do writers keep thinking this is an original idea? (-10)

15:35
"Ah-ha! I knew it!"
I bet you could also teach Spike that two plus two is five... Although he may already think so, considering his intelligence. >_>

15:38
Way to take "deflating mood" really literally.

16:03
The average Brony and all his "friends".
Cheap shot, but I couldn't resist.

15:58 - 18:20
I'm conflicted. Points off for pretty unoriginal portrayal of insanity (it's always a short-lived, over-the-top bout of talking to inanimate objects), or points for somehow being slightly amusing. Hmm. (-5; +5)
There.

18:36
Did Rainbow's head just disappear into her ass?
No seriously. That's what it flipping looks like. I couldn't have made that up if I tried. I'm gonna need brain bleach after this one.

20:14
Just how long is Rainbow's neck!?

20:49
And back to the lame-ass dancing and music. Also, are there really only six people... ponies... present at this birthday party? The birthday party of Pinkie, who claims she knows every last resident of the town? Consistency, please. (-5)

21:06
"Always expect the best from your friends, and never assume the worst! Rest assured that a friend always has your best interests at heart."
Or, you know, stop trying to throw these surprise birthday parties. It never pays off. (-5)

Final score: -40

...Ugh. And this one is bad again. We're never going to get there, are we?

posted 01-03-15 05:18 PM CT (US)     348 / 476  
And I can feel my brain dissolving as I shout and scream and swear
But I can take comfort in the fact that I'm only halfway there

*uncontrollable sobbing*

posted 01-03-15 06:30 PM CT (US)     349 / 476  
...You lost points for marking down the insanity sequence. Final Score as a Reviewer: -50.

Also, this episode and Pinkie's song about Cupcakes (you may have heard Sandvich? <_<) are what led to the infamous grimdark fanfic "Cupcakes." Where Pinkie slowly tortures and dismembers a conscious Rainbow Dash... and bakes her into cupcakes.

That'll teach her to shove her head up Pinkie's ass!

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-03-2015 @ 06:32 PM).]

posted 01-03-15 06:34 PM CT (US)     350 / 476  
...You lost points for marking down the insanity sequence.
But I also marked it up!
Also, this episode and Pinkie's song about Cupcakes (you may have heard Sandvich? <_<) are what led to the infamous grimdark fanfic "Cupcakes." Where Pinkie slowly tortures and dismembers a conscious Rainbow Dash... and bakes her into cupcakes.
Well, yep, I uh, I am aware. And I don't care for it. :p

« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14 15 16 ··· 19  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The story of how Sipia went insane
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames