Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to making a Volcano :D
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 July 2004 05:39 PM EDT (US)   
Well, scince Byz has just advertised for the Tsuniversity, and quite alot of people are making some great guides, i think its about time for me to try one of my own.

I picked the Volcano because it is a very common eye-candy feature, but its not always done very well.
So, Im going to show you all my way of doing it, i feel it works very well for me and i would like to share it with the community.

Heres what the finished result will look like (with a bit of embellishment )

Step 1:
First off, you must set your elevation tool to about 3/4 of the full size - circle or square - i used square however.
It should look something like this:
[JPEG, (218.42 KB)]

Step 2:
This is where it starts to take shape
Get your water tool, and select whatever water you like - it doesn't matter.
Place in the middle of the raised platform, and smoothen the edgesaround it.
This is what it will look like:
[JPEG, (198.91 KB)]

Step 3:
This stage is relatively simple. Place many boulder walls around the base of the volcano and at the top of it, like so:
[JPEG, (232.76 KB)]

Step 4:
Resize the boulder walls and place them around the volcano, this will form the sides.
Then, place the object 'Lava pool' in the centre of the volcano. Make sure its edges do not go outside the volcano.
Here is the result:

Step 5:
Next place 'boulder rolling deads' :P around the volcano. This will give it more texture.
To create a cool effect, try deleting some of the boulder walls and painting the terrain behind them black - giving a cave-like feel.
Place smoke in the crater.
[JPEG, (218.24 KB)]

Embellishments:
There are many objects you can place to give the area around it a better feel. Place large granite rocks and small granite rocks around. I find that limestone sprites work better in this situation than granite sprites. Stalagmites also make it look alot better
Also, place geek or norse ruins around in groups. Skeletons, signs and cinematic dead bodies also work well.
You may also wish to add fire to the crater of the volcano, however i chose not to in my example.

Eruptions:
You can create some cool eruption effects for volcanos using the 'Change unit type' trigger.
First, place cinematic blocks in the volcano, and around the cone. You could then set up a system of triggers which would go something like this:

Condition:
Timer

Effect:
Change unit type

I would suggest changing the cinematic block in the middle of the volcano to the object 'underworld explosion'.
Next you can change the blocks around the base of the volcano to the objects 'Fire Hades' and 'smoke' or 'smoke big'.
Another effect that can be used in the erruption is 'camera shake'. This creates a bang like effect for the viewer.
There are also various sounds using the 'Play Dialogue' trigger that can come in use. Search the sounds folder and look for something that works right for what you want - I found that 'thunder clap' was a good one.
Lighting is also a necessity during a volcanic eruption. Change the lighting to something darker after the eruption has ended.

Eruption Screenshot coming soon.

This effect does not have to just be used in volcanos - it can work very well with swamps, waterfalls and under ground caves.
Here are some more examples:

Swamp

Waterfall (map design by Auron 2)

Another waterfall

I hope you enjoyed reading my guide, and i wish you the very best of luck re-creating this effect!

[This message has been edited by EazY_Ben (edited 07-31-2004 @ 05:59 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09 July 2004 06:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
I like it a lot!! Great Guide
posted 09 July 2004 07:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
Very good, I've seen a lot of volcanos and this one is far and away the best.

Winner of May '04 "best location" award.
I'm an NDA teacher!
Winner of the original 33987-post set of AoMH's Last Post Wins!
Just a few of my insanely productive threads!
posted 09 July 2004 07:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
lol... to bad there is already a guide to the volcanoe

but its a better guide IMO

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest

[This message has been edited by Sorceror_Erebus (edited 07-09-2004 @ 07:57 PM).]

posted 09 July 2004 08:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
Good job on the Guide - I just don't like the results. lol. Needs a bit more variation in the lava and cone. However, like I said before, good guide!
posted 09 July 2004 09:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
Here are a step-by-step to make the eruption:

1) Don't place the lava pool; Place some boulder rolling on the crater.
2) Cast Earthquake on the volcano.
3) The boulders will die.
4) Create smoke;
5) Unit create underworld explosion;
6) Then, destroy underworld explosion;
7) Place the lava pool;
8) Then, after a few minutes, delete the lava pool and reveal to the player a volcano-like floor under the lava pool (hidden before by the boulder rollings)

End!

PS: also remember to put a lot of smoke, underworld smoke and please, change the lighting set during the eruption!

--- Twelve encarnations of evil attacked Earth in the last 12000 years. The elves have foreseen that another one will do the same. Tahattus is the 13º encarnation of evil, the last one, and battling against him will change all the rules about the things... --- Zumas Poéticas, 2300 B. C.

[This message was probably messed up by any of the moderators! (edited 06-26-2004 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 09 July 2004 10:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
hey, isnt that the screenshot part of an scenario i make for a task for AD:P?

hmm, the guide seem good. but maybe adding more details into it would make it awesomer

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 10 July 2004 00:26 AM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
That what I thought Auron. :P

Good Guide Ben. Though, not ideal for a natural volcano like we see in our natural lives or a mountainic volcano. But perfect for some sort of a small volcano or underground volcano.

Question: Why you use water instead of lava terrain? Is that a modded water I'm looking at those screenshots?

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
posted 10 July 2004 01:06 AM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
Tahattus - Don't forget the "shake camera" effect! Could be a nice addition to the eruption effects.
posted 10 July 2004 02:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 35  

Quote:

Question: Why you use water instead of lava terrain? Is that a modded water I'm looking at those screenshots?

Ugh... cough, cough, ugh, arff...

That's an object called Lava Pool.

EDIT: Maybe it's just a flat volcano. Anyway, using the LAVA POOL (!!!) is much better because you can destroy and create it.

--- Twelve encarnations of evil attacked Earth in the last 12000 years. The elves have foreseen that another one will do the same. Tahattus is the 13º encarnation of evil, the last one, and battling against him will change all the rules about the things... --- Zumas Poéticas, 2300 B. C.

[This message was probably messed up by any of the moderators! (edited 06-26-2004 @ 02:16 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Tahattus 2 (edited 07-10-2004 @ 02:35 AM).]

posted 10 July 2004 04:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
Hey thanks for the feed back people! Ill put in some triggers to make an eruption shortly

@Auron: Yes it is that task you sent me . The one i asked you about on msn....

EDIT:Eruption guide now up, just not totally finished

[This message has been edited by EazY_Ben (edited 07-10-2004 @ 04:53 AM).]

posted 10 July 2004 05:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
Nice guide !
posted 10 July 2004 11:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
best guide ive ever seen...
posted 10 July 2004 12:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
The best guide you've ever seen?! Ah, come on... Have you ever read through the Library?
posted 10 July 2004 12:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Besides the fact that there's already a very good volcano guide around, you showed a totally different way of making one - and quite a good one too (although I'm not really sure if I like it... I'd have to see one active in a scenario to be able to judge).

One more trick featured by that other guide is putting a bunch of fire giants in the crater (unit outlines must be turned off, but that's no problem for cinematic uses). With a little bit of trigger works, you can easily put a tiny pegasus (so small you cannot see it) or another flying unit above the crater and task the fire giants on it. Fireballs will hurl out of there, which looks magnificent combined with an Underworld Explosion object at the same time.

Good guide though

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 07-10-2004 @ 12:58 PM).]

posted 10 July 2004 02:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
Ok before you say anything just bear in mind that I haven't read any user comments so therefor my opinion is not affected.

I personally don't like this that much, the guide is well written but I don't like the volcano that much, it is ok though. And no, you can't use the low qulaity jpg excuse...

The moving lava is a good idea but IMO the volcano would look much better if it had black rocks, and was higher, and fire on top of it

Who dares, wins!
¤ chaos ¤
Outer Heaven
Pixel Host :: Free Image Uploader!
Mwhaha I is now a N.D.A. teacher!!
posted 10 July 2004 02:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
Well, that is the basic outline, so you don't HAVE to follow it exactly (obviously:P)
So, you could use that idea and change it to suite you...like making it biggers etc.
I stated in the guide that you may wish to have fire on top of it
And abotu the black rocks thingy-i wanted to make a guikde that you don't need mods for

@arch: whats the url to the other guide?

[This message has been edited by EazY_Ben (edited 07-10-2004 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 10 July 2004 02:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
There are already black rocks available in AOM.
Damn, if I didn't need to reformat then i'd still have that volcano I did ages ago to show you the black rocks...

Who dares, wins!
¤ chaos ¤
Outer Heaven
posted 10 July 2004 02:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
posted 10 July 2004 02:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
Great I found some evidence
[JPEG, (201.80 KB)]

Hmm I wonder if that scen is still on my old computer...

Who dares, wins!
¤ chaos ¤
Outer Heaven
posted 10 July 2004 02:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
It's in the AD university: http://oddworldjunkie.com/ambition/index.php?code=article_volcano

It describes a totally different way of creating a volcano. Not with objects - like you did - but with different terrains. Quite basic, but a nice result aswell.

posted 10 July 2004 02:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
Its a nice little volcano-but you wouln't base a scenario around it...
A great effect though for 'eye-candying' up the map.
Ill put a link to it in my guide.

@chaos:Ill experiment with it...

[This message has been edited by EazY_Ben (edited 07-10-2004 @ 02:51 PM).]

posted 10 July 2004 02:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
BTW, here's the other guide.
posted 10 July 2004 03:03 PM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
Erm, AOMPlayer, that's the same one. Note the similarity between both author's names?

The only difference is that the one in our university has a corrected spelling, more details and is more recently updated

posted 10 July 2004 03:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
Well, I haven't read your reply, that's the point ...
posted 10 July 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
The black rocks are called "cinematic rocks"

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide to making a Volcano :D
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames