You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to start playing MultiPlayer?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-17-05 12:53 PM EDT (US)   
We're having some new people to this site I have received some requests to help people play multiplayer. So here is a short intro with a lot of links! The following is from my experience:

There are generally two ways in which you can play with people you meet here on the forums. You can have an ONLINE game, or a PBEM (Play by Email) game.
More detailed information on all the types of multiplayer can be found here.
In general, this is one of the most helpful and kind communities you will find for multiplayer, so do not hesitate to ask if you are uncertain of something!

There is an excellent Guide written by Roger here.
It explains how to get into the Gamespy chatroom where you can meet people that also have Shadow Magic.
Here is another guide (a bit outdated, but should still be useful).
Here is a guide written by ElSmurpho from the perspective of a newbie!

What does it take to play online:
- Time -
You will need to have a minimum of 4 hours of undisturbed time available.

- Bonus Skills -
If you like instant action and quick thinking, this is definitely your thing!

PLAY BY EMAIL

There is a forum here that has a lot of *sticky* posts that are quite informative.
A complete guide to play pbem can be found here.

What does it take to play by email:
- Time -
You need to realise that with a pbem you are starting an adventure/roleplaying game that can last even up to a year (on large maps). It's quite the commitment so you might want to start your first game on a small map to see if you like it.
You can play a pbem 'turn' whenever you like, although people that can spend at least 15 minutes for one turn a day (in general) are extra valued!

- Bonus Skills -
If you have a large imagination you will enjoy the stories and characters that develop more and more. At some point, you might even realise that Pbem can be more about making a good story together then about 'who is the better player'. It's like writing a book where no one knows the ending!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 04-10-2007 @ 10:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-20-05 11:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 47  
New players that want to see if PBEM is right for them are highly encouraged to become a substitute for a game that has stalled. This requires little commitment from you (and it doesnt matter how good or bad you are), and the other players in that game will realy appreciate it.

when a game stalls, and the other players need a sub, they make a post here.

you can look thru this list yourself, and if there is a game you want to join, you go to that game's thread and ask to join. (the player who requested a sub should then go back and delete their sub request).

thx, Swolte

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 12-20-2005 @ 11:47 AM).]

posted 01-12-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 47  
This is a very good sticky Forum.
Keep this sticky post up here.
Itīs very usefull!!

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 01-20-06 06:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 47  
hey Guys,

jus lookin for a game or tournament to join, so let me kno hw to do so, we'l arrange sumthin

La_ruso

posted 01-21-06 03:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 47  
Just come to gamespy if you want a game, make sure you have patch 1.4 and that you have signed up with the ladder here

I think there is a tourney being arranged at The Battlefield, or you can ask Gandalf_DK when you're at Gamespy

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 03-01-06 09:28 AM EDT (US)     5 / 47  
Hi.

Am a real newbie to the world of AoW, and hope to become an active community member.

I was just wondering about the ladder: is it PBEM only? or is there another "ordinary" multiplayer ladder/championship/league/thingy being played? or something?

Thanks

posted 03-01-06 10:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 47  
The ladder on this site is for pbem only afaik.

Here is a ladder for online and pbem games.
http://www.the-battlefield.com/index.php?page=maingame&game=aow

posted 05-23-06 03:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 47  
Maybe the POLL can determine how many gamers in the community play Singleplayer only, Multiplayer only or if they play both Singleplayer and Multiplayer. It would be interesting to see the results.

There can be only one.
Highlander
posted 05-23-06 05:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 47  
Good idea, but the poll should distinguish between pbem and online multiplayer gamers.

Edit: I checked it, and there was a similar poll on the AoW2H main page. It's first on the list, so was it the first one after creating the page or the last before the current one? The polls change so rarely that I already forgot the previous one

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 05-23-2006 @ 05:43 PM).]

posted 05-23-06 05:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 47  

Quote:

Good idea, but the poll should distinguish between pbem and online multiplayer gamers.

Well if they're going to ask PBEM and online multiplayer then local LAN and Hotseat should also be placed as options. Perhaps first a poll asking SP_only, MP_only or both then a seperate poll could be created to determine how MP gamers play the game.... hotseat, PBEM, local LAN, online multiplayer.

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 05-23-2006 @ 05:52 PM).]

posted 06-23-06 06:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 47  
Is there any place I can find people who wants to play against me? It's kinda boring just playing alone... :/
posted 06-24-06 11:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 47  
yes, it is.
Read the top post in this thread and follow the links. That should get you started!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 08-01-06 01:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 47  
Goodness me. This would've been so helpful if the link I was given to the Gamespy website had been a little clearer. I understood that it was free. Should I have been seeing all of these "$" signs everywhere? Especially disturbing is all of the numbers that follow. Free? I didn't see that. Is there something I'm missing here?
posted 08-01-06 02:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 47  
Gamespy is free. It is possible to pay 9.95 per month for some extra features and disabled adds, but it's not needed. It's a waste of money IMO.

Here you can download the free gamespy: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/download/. Click on the link for basic gamespy arcade.

posted 08-01-06 03:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 47  
Wah! It seems I've entered the wrong forum. Terribly sorry. As a great man once said, "We were all noobs once!"

[This message has been edited by Dwarvenhelm (edited 08-01-2006 @ 08:31 PM).]

posted 05-28-07 11:41 PM EDT (US)     15 / 47  
Does anyone know what port this game uses?
I don't want to install gamespy and I'm behind a router so I need to forward the port, and I can't find out where it tells me what port it is.

Cheers
SB
posted 05-29-07 08:02 AM EDT (US)     16 / 47  
I don't want to install gamespy
We don't install Gamespy so that we can play in their rooms, as we play at IP. We install it so that we can meet up and chat with other players that are looking for a game
Does anyone know what port this game uses?
In the opening post of this thread, swolte said: There is an excellent Guide written by Roger here.

If you follow that link there is lots of advice on playing online, including
17) MP games use ports 2302udp and 6073tcp.
There is also a link there to Gandalf's guide to hosting when using a router

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 05-29-07 08:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 47  
Roger, Roger.
posted 10-13-07 00:12 AM EDT (US)     18 / 47  
-deleted-

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 10-13-2007 @ 00:29 AM).]

posted 05-26-09 03:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 47  
help
plz
posted 05-26-09 05:10 PM EDT (US)     20 / 47  
We can't help unless you tell us what the problem is...

posted 05-27-09 08:58 AM EDT (US)     21 / 47  
well... i can play the game, i play it with patch 1.1 - 1.4 (not the horid dwiggs one) but i never knew there were other players still around, how can i like play games with them ?
posted 05-27-09 02:51 PM EDT (US)     22 / 47  
Very few online players want to play Upatch 1.4 because it is not as well balanced (for online play) as some mods.

Generally we play mods such as the amazingly good Dwiggs, or one of the MP (multiplayer) mods, or Chidlren of Many Ages, or Brave New World.

posted 05-28-09 04:52 AM EDT (US)     23 / 47  
i find it very balenced i read up on which ones are "apparently" the best civs i can agree with the points but personally i find that its not hard to overcome these, infact they are probably the civs i play least with cos i think they are all the same just some are cooler than others
posted 05-28-09 05:25 AM EDT (US)     24 / 47  
Yes, well it doesn't really matter how balanced you think they are. Good luck with finding someone to play online that agrees with you - it won't be me.

posted 05-28-09 06:24 AM EDT (US)     25 / 47  
ur a tool lol
posted 05-28-09 07:08 AM EDT (US)     26 / 47  
Well i practically only play 1.4 and even i wouldn't call it "very balanced"

"good enough" would probably be a better phrase ^_^

[This message has been edited by lochdos (edited 05-28-2009 @ 07:10 AM).]

posted 05-28-09 10:46 AM EDT (US)     27 / 47  
Slap in the face to Swolte and the team!
posted 05-28-09 11:21 AM EDT (US)     28 / 47  
It's not really a slap in the face. They did what they could to make it as balanced as possible, but it can't be perfectly balanced for PBEM and also be perfectly balanced for online play too. Online players are a minority, so we can't expect it to be optimised for online play.

Even the big Russian group on Hamachi use MP mod, it's only a small download but it balances it for online play. A lot of n00bs turn up at Gamespy and want to play Upatch 1.4, but usually they end up installing one or more of the MP mods.

posted 05-28-09 02:40 PM EDT (US)     29 / 47  
o you mean those like tweak MP mods, yes im fine getting them i just dont like the big change mods, dwiggs etc
as for the MP mods do i have to download all of them or will just 7 and 8 surfice?
posted 05-28-09 03:41 PM EDT (US)     30 / 47  
Most people at Gamespy would play MP1.7 but wouldn't want to play Upatch 1.4

Not many play MP1.6 or MP1.8 now.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » How to start playing MultiPlayer?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames