General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Dwiggs 1.4 final patch.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 10-23-06 07:28 PM EDT (US)   
First have 1.4 Unofficial patch installed. If you don't have 1.3 already then install 1.4 twice (first time installs 1.3.

1.4 unofficial patch
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=661

Then download these and install in the order listed, largest to smallest.

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=612
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=756
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=758

Something that may or may not apply if you already have dwiggs 1.4 patch update installed.
Note, if you have any trouble seeing 5 or 6 units after the patch comes out, then do the following (guaranteed to work )

Download UGPM_GUI http://hamletg.com/ugpm_gui.html

Install it in your Age of Wonders Shadow Magic directory.

Open it, and on the left find the text file titled: ugpm_script.txt

Click this. Go to top of ugpm gui and click "tools" then "create all units" wait 30 seconds or so. Done
Original dwiggs thread.
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=29,4575,0,60

Why create a new thread? This way one can more easily read posts related to the final patch version.

Thanks to stranger for his great mod !

Tips:
To change to dwiggs name set language to english in setup. To switch back to regular names choose auto.

Also if you choose a preset wizard then custom wizard you will get the abilities & disadvantages of the preset wizard.

Theres a file put in your base AoW directory named DM1.4.xls or DM1[1].4.xls.(ones for dwiggs regular and ones for dwiggs patch I think) that lists dwiggs stuff including wizard bodies. Beware, a few errors and wrong information in it though.

You will need excel or a excel file viewer to read the file. I can't remember what I installed to see it. I'll put it here if I remember.

Dwiggs set at 0 magic usually means you get one summons and one direct damage spell.(sometime it glitches and doesn't) Also if you pick a pure sphere you usually get alternode as a research option. Which can be very valuable.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 09-28-2007 @ 04:16 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-23-06 07:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 117  
I'd like to say many interesting changes in the patch. Hard to judge it all but overall an improvement it seems.

A problem though. Heroes with resurgance resurge infinitely. Some heroes can get resurgance ability. Worst, at least one starts with resurgance. Its bad enough that the resurgance enchantment has the same effect on heroes (being unlimited) As well as items and a couple do have it. I guess those are mostly heavy guard items but not always.

Can't wait to see those dwiggs multiplayer maps they are cooking up. Hope at least one has both UG & shadow world.

What will we do now that afaik stranger won't be improving dwiggs any more? As great as it is there is room for improvement(always will be probably) Somebody mentioned something about setting up a committee or something like that for it but I don't know alot more except that strangers undecided or something about it.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 10-23-2006 @ 08:23 PM).]

posted 10-26-06 10:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 117  
TP,I have a suggestion:

Let's wait at least 45 days before we go off half-cocked on more tinkering.

For one thing, let us publish a few Dwiggs maps that we are working on even as I write this. You can not judge the mod by how it plays on maps built under different parameters.

For another, let's all of us play it a number of times as different races with different racial mixtures as opponents.

I recognize that we all have our favorite race (or races) that we prefer to play. As such, any tinkering is always suspect when it affects a race that is near and dear to our heart. But, before we condemn something, we need to test it out thoroughly.

BITD, when I was in the game business, we playtested extensively--as much as we could possibly afford. We had as many playtesters involved as we could, and we generally knew at least a little about each one: their likes, dislikes, pet peeves and personal biases.

We collected as much feedback as possible and only then analyzed all of it an decided what tinkering was justified. We have the distinct luxury of having no financial pressure on us at all, unlike the companies that produce the original games and must keep publishing new product to stay alive financially.

IMHO, AoW:SM is one of the very best TBS fantasy games ever produced, all of its memory leak problems notwithstanding. Computer game players have the distinct luxury of being able to mod games, unlike players of boardgames or RPGs who can not do the equivalent without a very substantial financial investment.

Let us not rush to judgement on Dwiggs until we have thoroughly tried it out and given all its permutations careful scrutiny.

(Keep in mind that I have had extremely little to do with the actual modding; all I have done is write a bunch of unit descriptions and hero bios. Therefore, I have no personal ego invested in this mod.)

Stranger and I are working on several maps at this time; I am painting/writing/designing them, he is editing/modifying them and crafting the events that I have worked into the scripts. This is something that I have no small amount of experience at; AoW maps are just D&D modules in a different guise. Give us a chance to show you just how well Dwiggs can play (or not) before we rush to judgement.

If around the 1st of December we have enough consensus, then we can establish a committee and begin tinkering anew, in earnest.

Today's free advice:
Do Not Meddle in the affairs of Dragons…
For you are crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Arch-Enemy of the Annoyingly Dense
Practitioner of Whimsy
Celt,Finn & Swede Elder Gamer
posted 10-27-06 02:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 117  
No respect it seems vs anyone. Well as we say it here kusipäät on kusipäitä etc. Why would we need need new thread? Best part is that dwiggs 1.5 is coming so TP can make another new topic, without asking the maker ofcourse. Hm ah I figured it out, imperialists live in democracy, free coutry, free for all kinds of animal (ir)rationales. Good habits are forgotten/never existed tho or the common sense. Hopely it bothers some1 else too. This is only way to get nice replys so im waiting. I kept in topic also.

AoW:SM and WoW gamer

Maker of MP Mod 1.8

[This message has been edited by Munataros (edited 10-27-2006 @ 02:35 AM).]

posted 10-27-06 07:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 117  
I think Truepurple is just trying to be helpful so lets keep it polite and friendly, Muna (and keep those nasty pokes in check ). The goals are on one line here and Kaskoid already made the point clear, especially while the topic was probably gonna sink to the bottom the threadpool anyway.

*thread closed*

(Let me know TP, if you want to open it. It seems to me the thread is redundant now ).

-> Reopened upon request.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 10-28-2006 @ 11:37 PM).]

posted 10-30-06 11:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 117  
@Munataros
I already spoke to stranger about this and if I recall correctly he said to ask people. I did, I waited, I got 1 reply.

It makes it easier to find content related to dwiggs 1.4 patch. Doesn't anyone appreciate that? Threads aren't ever deleted right? So one can always go there if the want to read about dwiggs 3.0 or something.

posted 11-07-06 11:52 AM EDT (US)     6 / 117  
Is there a list of all the changes from regular 1.4 patch to dwiggs 1.4 final patch?

or at least a list of all the changes dwiggs mod has made!?

Thanx! =D

posted 11-07-06 02:23 PM EDT (US)     7 / 117  
Nope, this is irrelevant because Dwiggs is a mod and, unlike a patch, is not primarily referenced to the standard version.

A documention should have come with the install and is probably in your main directory. I believe Timelord made a very nice Excell sheet for it.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-10-06 11:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 117  
Tirasleen said he lost a army of 12 orc calvary and 4 heroes fighting against...

5 fire cats, a engineer, 1-2 heroes, 5 catapults, 1-2 other units

"but the cats(catapults) alone were enough"

I've seen hurl boulder hit suprisingly alot in dwiggs.. taking out full health salamanders in one hit. Perhaps a reduction in attack from 3 to 1.. dwiggs units have low def.

But for sure such basic machine structures should lose some HP. Currently its ballista 16, catapults 18, and cannons 20. How about 8, 9, and 12? These should be very vulnerable items. Or perhaps a less a reduction of health but a defense & resist of 1 since they can't dodge out of the way of an attack 4 def for cannon. With these powerful defensive items weaker.. Dwiggs can become more offensive and a bit quicker..

Medium range maybe shouldn't be able to reach attacking units at their starting location. (can't remember if it does or not currently)

Goblins beetle riders are too weak for level 3's. Too comparable in strength to archons level 1 crusader. They deserve more health, from 16hp to 20 or 22. Along perhaps with a little extra damage. 16hp is that of a supposedly flimsy ballista. Wyvern Riders could be 40mp to make them more worth building and you'd figure a wyvern with such a small rider could move quickly.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 11-11-2006 @ 01:58 AM).]

posted 11-11-06 01:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 117  
no 5 firecats.....with cats i meaned catapults only.

they got hurl firebomb with markmanship this ability is crazy vs low lvls and low hp.

alone in 1.3 i killed easily several reapaers with catapults even though they had pass wall the accuracy was too high so they seemed to hit each time and you can move "cats" far away.

this can be exploited in bad ways if you are really looking forward to it.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 11-11-06 02:00 AM EDT (US)     10 / 117  
To be fair though.. only dwarven catapults get the marksmanship bonus without medal. Also catapults do cost 140, while orc calvary cost only 100. I still say they could lose some hp & def as well perhaps attack on hurl boulder.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 11-11-2006 @ 02:03 AM).]

posted 11-11-06 03:56 AM EDT (US)     11 / 117  
catapults and cannons should also get block instead of any reduction as they are siege machines and should be able to bombard walled cities :P
posted 11-11-06 04:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 117  
They can, if protected. We could give some block & def 1 or zero if possible as well as hp reduction.
posted 11-11-06 06:39 AM EDT (US)     13 / 117  
tp u dont know stats of block and archery ?:P but anyway as stranger wont change anything in mod u dont have opportunity to broke a single unit :P

[This message has been edited by Air_warlord (edited 11-11-2006 @ 06:40 AM).]

posted 11-11-06 10:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 117  
cats are used for defense not siege >_<

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 11-11-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 117  
yes and its wrong their ranged abilities are very good for siege, but stats not :P
posted 11-30-06 00:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 117  
Perhaps some boost to how much mana/gold towns produce at basic level and perhaps a reduction to how much town structures give. This way one can get the mana/gold they need without having to spend as much time building town structures.

Is it possible to make map structures other then nodes give mana? Maybe instead of a few structures that give 50, others giving half that.. we could more even it out. Why? Because AoW RMG sucks.

Just some thoughts.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 11-30-2006 @ 00:20 AM).]

posted 11-30-06 03:54 AM EDT (US)     17 / 117  
so in this case ppl can get anything they want by simple outposts massing, like in 1.3/1.4 and so on :P
posted 11-30-06 06:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 117  
I finally got around to trying out Dwiggs Great work!

Now for a problem I thought I'd mention - After installing, I reset to the "default" v1.4 resources and played a saved turn for a game I'm playing under normal resources (fortunately not a pbem). Now, it looks like some of the resources have been replaced. For example, Sanctum is now Cult of Storms and there is a "Purger" in another wizard's spellbook (I think replacing the Magic Servant (or maybe fairy)). Also, some AI attacked an unexplored critters den which should have had an AI block on it, and after the battle the den disappeared.

I will reinstall the v1.4 resources to see if that clears things up, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues.

Again, great work to Stranger et al on the mod

EDIT: Reinstall of v1.4 resources seems to have cleared things up.

EDIT 2: Forget what I said about the Critters Den - it was a resource pile (checked a previous save) which would explain why it disappeared

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

[This message has been edited by King David (edited 11-30-2006 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 12-04-06 08:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 117  
Heroes range of range attacks always seems to be medium, no matter the actual distance of the range attack (though maybe short range are still short.. who knows)

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 12-04-2006 @ 08:25 PM).]

posted 12-05-06 10:50 AM EDT (US)     20 / 117  
its not related to dwiggs mod, such range penalty was made in aow:sm to weaken heroes that were supposed to be too strong in aow2
posted 12-05-06 04:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 117  
But what is new in Dwiggs 1.4 patch ? Compare to Dwiggs 1.4 , of course.

[This message has been edited by Edelward (edited 12-05-2006 @ 04:20 PM).]

posted 12-05-06 04:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 117  
All sorts of changes, like introduction of new units like fay defender (basically what dwarven catapult was, but given to the fey, not exactly the same and different graphics though) Dwarven catapult losing the pixiedust effect and getting firebomb. Runemaster becoming dwarves level 4 instead of gargoyle, gargoyle becoming a level 3.

Just to name a few things.. Not sure if theres a file that lists all the changes or not.

posted 12-06-06 02:04 PM EDT (US)     23 / 117  
Thanks, I played it yesterday and noticed that development (growth,research) takes more time ,but one thing though- Archons they get their racial bonus-research only late from village level I presume ? Frostlings though have mana bonus directly from outpost level which makes them stronger with those summoned units.

[This message has been edited by Edelward (edited 12-06-2006 @ 02:15 PM).]

posted 12-06-06 02:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 117  
the key is to build something useful in towns, with right buildings u can get incredible high growth, research, mana and gold, but as u cant do everything in same time u have to chose whats most important for u in present moment. build monastery and u will get mana and growth, build library and wiz tower 2 and u will get nice research and some gold and so on.
posted 12-19-06 05:08 AM EDT (US)     25 / 117  
posted 01-21-07 08:36 PM EDT (US)     26 / 117  
@DM

Air elementals can't beat bone dragons true. They both have physical protection but bone dragon can bypass airs, not visa versa (unless enchantments) Plus death strike gives death weakness especially with AE's lower resist, which of course causes even more damage.

On the other hand against archers on a wall whirlwind can blow them off the wall etc. Bone dragons can't do that. It would have to blow at least twice to kill most archers.(or more) Meanwhile they shoot. The point being that AE's are better against other units rather then BD against AE, which is not the best comparison (unenchanted at least)

Air elementals also are better overland scouts with vision 2. BD's only have vis one, but with nightvision they make better UG scouts. But its more nominal with UG being cramped in many (but not all) spots with RMG.

And of course BD's have holy weakness. Shooting star and holy bolts destroy them fast.

More HP would be thematically all wrong with AE, but more def would make sense for them.(hard to hit air) If its needed. Or slighly slower BD's

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-22-2007 @ 03:21 PM).]

posted 01-23-07 11:22 PM EDT (US)     27 / 117  
Theres a item that allows your hero to turn into a outpost, build a road, mountaineering & tunneling. Using up the hero and the item in the process. (seems unlikely to be used in most circumstances) Build road only mildly useful and tunneling worthless in RMG.

It is very buggy if used by your wizard, DarkMystery/tirasleen used it on a wizard and trashed a game we were in. Admittedly he should have made a save before hand in case it caused problems (and since it uses up the hero it does make sense it might be glitchy when used by a wizard) And not everyone is going to make such a newbie mistake. Regardless it should warn people of such a risk or not have such a function.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-24-2007 @ 00:00 AM).]

posted 01-24-07 08:40 AM EDT (US)     28 / 117  
newbie mistake? lol TP, i do not comment on your person now.

don't bug down the game with useless items, i'd say, no one can forsee that this item would permanently destroy a save. and i said beforehand. it might either crash the game or send my wizard to void.

dwiggs one of the buggiest mods i ever played, yes it has a lot of content but its not properly tested. Stranger can't balance it all, its not a project like a big patch. you have to keep this in mind, TP.

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain

[This message has been edited by DarkMystery (edited 01-24-2007 @ 08:44 AM).]

posted 01-25-07 00:38 AM EDT (US)     29 / 117  

Quote:

dwiggs one of the buggiest mods i ever played, yes it has a lot of content but its not properly tested

Well, I do plan to see that the bugs are fixed and we have a final version soon. I've already approached Merk and we do have a plan to make the mod bug-free and clean so that it works well with v1.4 maps too.

No balance changes in the pipeline though...

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 01-25-07 01:01 AM EDT (US)     30 / 117  
You knew it would use up the hero. It would only follow that if you tried it on the wizard, it would try to use up the wizard. Now if that doesn't look like a recipe for bugginess I don't know what does.

I mean if this was a horse race I'd bet every dollar I had on that one-that it would not work at all where nothing happens or much more likely, cause some serious problems. I mean seriously, did you think your wizard would have been able to just go around plopping down cities? Why didn't you save before testing this or ask host to save?

Besides a few wizards without graphics (maybe a hero or two) and a few missing animations on units what are these dwigg bugs you guys refer to? I haven't found any that I can think of.

The item is not useless, mountaineering tunneling and build road all have use in the right situation/on the right map. Even build outpost isn't completely worthless, granted its not for everyone to use up a hero, even if its a extremely unhappy sucky hero. (dont forget, if you use up a hero you can get another if it puts you under 5)

Not every item needs to be awesome, we need ordinary common items too. And it doesnt take up any of the body slots so no drawback on having it.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 01-25-2007 @ 01:04 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Dwiggs 1.4 final patch.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames