Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Enemy Troops Killed conditions in invasion events
posted 08-19-07 07:00 EST (US)   
I think at long last I understand how these work. It has always been a bit hit and miss for me in the past using these. I have usually used enemy troop numbers killed to trigger messages from the bad guys.

e.g. Enemy Troops killed (Any) 100 ----> message from Snake "Oh er..."

But if I added another then things seemed to get a little random. But not any more:-

Well I was working on the map6, The Pilgrims' Progress in the community campaign. I was setting up some messages from the wolf (who plays the evil Lord Daynon). This map has small, discrete, forces and I was able to see clearly what was happening and when.

Say we have three events
Jan 1066 - Enemy troops killed (Any) 10 - Message Snake "Oh Er..."
Feb 1066 - Enemy troops killed (Any) 5 - Message Pig "Wahh..."
Mar 1066 - Enemy troops killed (Any) 20 - Message Snake "Maybe I have underestimated...."

Now assume the game play date is June 1066 and the player starts to kill the enemy.

First
The engine sorts the events based on enemy troops killed into order with smallest troops killed quantity first. It ignores date as long as the date had come and gone (I assume).
So the first event triggers when the first 5 troops have died (not 10 like the earliest date event, but 5 the smallest killed event).

Second
A further 10 enemy have to die to trigger the next message. And finally a further 20 enemy have to die to trigger the last message. So that last event triggers after a total of 35 troops killed (not just 20)

Third
Engineers manning siege equipment do not get counted as troops killed.
Troops killed on traps do not count as troops killed.

Fourth
I found no variation due to play difficulty level. The numbers triggering events remained the same whether on Normal or Very Hard.

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 08-19-2007 @ 07:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-26-07 20:40 EST (US)     1 / 13  
Yes! Thank you for this excellent work, this is really going to help us with playtesting.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
posted 08-27-07 13:22 EST (US)     2 / 13  
wow thanks eric, this can be really useful. I've always wondered how to this kind of thing.

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.
posted 08-27-07 14:28 EST (US)     3 / 13  
Glad you found this informative. It was a real eye-openner for me. The stuff I had read before about it had not explained that this is what happens. (Maybe I just never looked hard enough)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 09-26-07 10:20 EST (US)     4 / 13  
So does this prevent that Kill the Wolf objective?

As the enemies armies grow, so must yours.
http://Stronghold.wikia.com Stronghold Wiki

Alien Lord92
posted 09-26-07 11:26 EST (US)     5 / 13  
Excellent work!
posted 09-26-07 11:33 EST (US)     6 / 13  
I see it doesn't. I tried it and there is still that Kill the Wolf. It's making me mad.

Alien Lord92
posted 09-26-07 14:23 EST (US)     7 / 13  
Thank's Sulis

Alien Lord,
So does this prevent that Kill the Wolf objective?
I think here the event you are using is a win event?
e.g. Event: Win, Condition: Enemy troops killed [Any] 100

Yes I think this sort of thing can show up as a "Kill the Wolf" objective. That is annoying if you don't want it to be called that.

Is this in a map you are working on at the moment. What is it you are trying to achieve by way of win conditions?

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 09-26-2007 @ 02:25 PM).]

posted 09-28-07 10:50 EST (US)     8 / 13  
yes you are right my other solution is not working so well. Did u mean that it shows Kill the wolf but wirks like enemies killed :O

Alien Lord92
posted 09-28-07 12:30 EST (US)     9 / 13  
Yes. I think the way it works is it *says* on the objectives "kill the wolf" but in fact in play, the player just has to kill the required number of enemy troops.

I would have to see the actual map to be more deffinite about it. Feel free to send me a map (if you are working on it) and I might be able to better answer any questions you have about it.

david(at)egss(dot)demon.co.uk (replace stuf in brackets and put "stronghold" in yout subject to avoid my spam filter)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 09-28-2007 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 09-28-07 12:37 EST (US)     10 / 13  
Well it's not rdy at all yet. might take few weeks to start playtesting

Alien Lord92
posted 02-16-09 14:01 EST (US)     11 / 13  
Same issue at Sir_Vet's Crusader invasion "Zimba Two". The win condition requires 1.000 enemies killed but before starting, the game the objective is called "Kill the Wolf".

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
posted 03-07-09 14:16 EST (US)     12 / 13  
It's about Enemy Troops in this thread.
If the win condition is "Your Troops Killed (Any): number", it will actually be announced as "Kill the Pig".
Found that in Crusader economic scenario "Fallen Desert" by Lord Boz.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
posted 03-07-09 15:02 EST (US)     13 / 13  
That is odd. I wonder why it used "the Pig"?
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Enemy Troops Killed conditions in invasion events
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames