General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How I became An Intermediate...And how You can Too
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 05-24-04 09:02 PM CT (US)   
Having played this great game for several months, and becoming mildly obsessed, I have recently graduated to a skill level that I consider to be "intermediate". i would never have gotten this good without the help of this site; It is an incredible resource for players of all skill levels. The friendly and helpful people here are always ready to help you become a better player. So I have decided to post this list of tips and posts that I have used to make Myself better so that others new players can become better themselves.

First some tips: learned, experienced, and borrowed.

1. Get to know this site.
Read,ask questions,read,read,ask,read,read,read,ask,read...
Like I said before, It's an incredible resource for AOK players.

1.5 When you see an interesting post, hit "file","save as"and save the page as a '.txt' file for later resource.

2. Never be afraid to build.
You should build buildings constantly. By the end of a RM game, you should have several Town Centers, Castles; tons of farms ; and so many stables etc. that you don't know were they all are.

3. Never be afraid to build villagers.
You should probably have more than 100 villies by mid-imperial in a 200 pop. game. More villies= more resouces= More soldiers= A better chance of winning, which is what it's all about, right?

4. Use Hotkeys.
Yes, I know it's hard, I don't do it as much as I should either. But speed will make you a better player.

4.5 Assign the idle villager hotkey to the spacebar and hit that thing A LOT."The Idle villager serves an ignorant master."

5. Make your City BIG, and try to refrain from walls. They limit expansion. The periodic placement of castles, Towers, TC's, and troops can do the same job better.

6. (Quoted From Gordon B, added in edit)The best way to become better at this game is practice. Play some games, any games. The more you play the game, the better you'll get at it. The more you apply what you've learned, the better you'll get. You can know everything there is to know about AoK, but if you don't play it enough, you won't be able to do anything about it.

And Now, some links to posts that have been especially useful to me:

*Dragons89'sUltimate AOK Guide, and TheShadowDawn'sRecomended Strategy Articles are both great places to start, with hundereds of very useful posts. Add both of these to your Favorites.

*Gaparr64's Test Summary is long and somewhat technical, but the information is useful and interesting.Obviosly LOTS of time put into this.

*The Civilisations of the Ages series, By TheShadowDawn is
a great series of posts about all 18 Civs. in AOK. They make very good reading and each one makes you want to try that civ. when you're done.

*Stevay's 13 Minute Mongolian Castle Guide is one of many fast castle guides, but I prefer his because it was made for my favorite civ., the Mighty Mongols.

*The Mongol Power Flush is an awesome version of the flush. This is why I am an intermediate. AWESOME.

*Micr0boy's Collection of Stratagies is a great place to start leaning any of the most popular Strats in AOK.

*Micromanagement and Hotkeys, a guide at Gamespy by Champsta, is a good article about, well, Micromanagement and Hotkeys!

*And just in case you were wondering about Trebuchets, a link to My "History of the Trebuchet" post can be found in my sig.

Good Luck to all new players! May your sword deal a swift and steady blow to anyone who challenges you in the future.

[SARCASM]Disclaimer:The contents of this post are the sole opinion of its originator, King Bob VI. The opinions displayed above will not be forcibly imprinted into the heads of anyone who reads this, but he/she has the right to not believe any of it, especially that King Bob is a intermediate, or that he has any brains at all, as long as he/she keeps these thoughts private in the deep recesses of his/her mind. If the above FRIENDLY HELP offends anyone, he/she has the right to that opinion, but King Bob does not want to Hear it.[/SARCASM]

Oops, it appears the BB code is broken.

EDIT: changes according to suggestions, add hotkeys link, add tip. Nice tip Gordon B, THANX.
EDIT2: Disclaimer added, due to negative feedback, and to prevent lawsuits.
EDIT3: Added power flush link.
P.S. Check out the "art" link in my updated sig.

/^^*^^\
{KING BOB VI}
BOW DOWN TO THE GREAT BOB,
that is, if you feel like it.
No pressure.
{TREBUCHETS}{ARTWORK BY ME}{MONGOLS RULE}

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 06-01-2004 @ 07:31 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-24-04 09:12 PM CT (US)     1 / 57  

Good job!

Just try to fix the formatting.

Edit: Consider submitting this to the Unversity.

Edit #2: Why aren't any of my guides listed there?

(http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,33570,,all

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,33592,,all)

|=)(=| ©hewmen_Ldr |=)(=|
=============================
Chewmen is 5 Years old!
Clan Chewmen - Where the Addiction Begins

[This message has been edited by Chewmen_ldr (edited 05-24-2004 @ 09:15 PM).]

posted 05-24-04 09:13 PM CT (US)     2 / 57  
I thought I was an intermediate until I played on the ladder, but...

A sound post with good advice.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
posted 05-24-04 09:17 PM CT (US)     3 / 57  

Quote:

You should probably have more than 120 villies by mid-imperial in a 200 pop.

posted 05-24-04 10:13 PM CT (US)     4 / 57  
Hairics right , I dont stop making villis untill I reach 200 pop... I've played games with 150 villis before.

Quote:

4.5 Assign the idle villager hotkey to the spacebar and hit that thing A LOT."The Idle villager serves an ignorant master."

My spacebar is "go to selected" and my idle villi key is mouse scroll...

If I hit my scout , army or and other building which I've assigned a hot key at the same time I can hit space and it changes my view to it..(Or if you want space as idle vill you can just hit the hotkey number twice)..

BTW Just currious but whats your rating ?

[This message has been edited by ICEAGE (edited 05-24-2004 @ 10:17 PM).]

posted 05-24-04 10:17 PM CT (US)     5 / 57  
I've played games where I have 220+ vills. I love those monks at times...

|=)(=| ©hewmen_Ldr |=)(=|
=============================
Chewmen is 5 Years old!
Clan Chewmen - Where the Addiction Begins
posted 05-25-04 00:57 AM CT (US)     6 / 57  
You've only been a forummer here for one month...wow, we must be good.
posted 05-25-04 02:17 AM CT (US)     7 / 57  
I am so surprised that the Flush thread wasn't even mentioned.

But you never know, I mean...those "intermediate" players...

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.
posted 05-25-04 03:19 AM CT (US)     8 / 57  

Quote:

I am so surprised that the Flush thread wasn't even mentioned

It's a well-kept secret that the Flush is actually a strat designed by experts to keep everyone else down. They use it in "tournaments" and in "rated games" and post the records to trick people into using it. It obviously doesn't work. Stevay's Mongol FC guide is listed, so it is evidently superior. I mean, if you can get to Castle in 13 minutes, why would you need to Flush?

But seriously, the best way to become better at this game is practice. Play some games, any games. The more you play the game, the better you'll get at it. The more you apply what you've learned, the better you'll get. You can know everything there is to know about AoK, but if you don't play it enough, you won't be able to do anything about it.

posted 05-25-04 08:54 AM CT (US)     9 / 57  
I agree with Gordon there. Flush is still Expert thingy which seperates them from the pack.
posted 05-25-04 09:38 AM CT (US)     10 / 57  

Quote:

I agree with Gordon there. Flush is still Expert thingy which seperates them from the pack.

I really hope you were joking, because I know Gordon was.

posted 05-25-04 10:59 AM CT (US)     11 / 57  
your tips and links were really helpful, thanks a lot man (i learned a lot, lol)

congrats on your improvement.

----- jon_eremedes -----
Proud member of the Chewmen Clan
Visit our forums at chewmen.tk
It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past -Clausewitz

posted 05-25-04 11:45 AM CT (US)     12 / 57  
how is a flush an expert thingy? I mean when i used to play AOK and thats aok where the skill level is very low the test inters would give you to find if you were an inter or not is they ask you if you know what a flush is lol.

MSN Zone: Blazin_Rulezzz
posted 05-25-04 03:36 PM CT (US)     13 / 57  

Quoted from Chewman_ldr:

Good job!

Quoted from Bosefus zx:

A sound post with good advice

Thanx.

Quoted from Iceage:

BTW Just currious but whats your rating ?

I don't play rated.here's why.

Quoted from Lord_Fadwah:

You've only been a forummer here for one month...wow, we must be good

Lol. I did read posts here some before I joined.

Quoted from Gordon B:

the best way to become better at this game is practice. Play some games, any games. The more you play the game, the better you'll get at it. The more you apply what you've learned, the better you'll get. You can know everything there is to know about AoK, but if you don't play it enough, you won't be able to do anything about it.

Good Tip. I added it, hope you dont mind.

Quoted from jon_eremedes:

your tips and links were really helpful, thanks a lot man (i learned a lot, lol)
congrats on your improvement.

Thanks, Thats why this is here.

Although I dont play on the zone a lot, I can beat the PC on easiest in half an hour and the PC on Moderate without much trouble, but it takes longer. I'm still not extremely fast but Stevays FC guide helped a lot.

And Yes, I know excactly what a FLUSH is, Although I can't do it very well.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 05-28-2004 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 05-25-04 04:03 PM CT (US)     14 / 57  
The PC gets you into bad habits. DONT TRY THIS AT HOME

No really, when you flush the pc you dont need to build any walls or anything you can just flush the pc and not be defensive of your base at all. I dont think its a good idea to keep playing it. Of course iif you cant get on the zone very often its an exception

posted 05-25-04 04:12 PM CT (US)     15 / 57  

Quote:

I don't play rated

Quote:

Although I dont play on the zone a lot, I can beat the PC on easiest in half an hour and the PC on Moderate without much trouble, but it takes longer. I'm still not extremely fast but Stevays FC guide helped a lot.

No offence but your a noob at best..

Beating the "PC" on easiest and even on "Moderate" is no great accomplishment.

a trush beats the pc in under 20 minutes

If you dont play on the zone theres no "real" way to tell how good you are. But theres no way you can get any better then being a noob vs a computer...

posted 05-25-04 04:14 PM CT (US)     16 / 57  
Well you can be a rook actually

posted 05-25-04 04:42 PM CT (US)     17 / 57  

Quote:

And Yes, I know excactly what a FLUSH is, Although I can't do it very well.

Ermm...

This contradicts

Quote:

I have recently graduated to a skill level that I consider to be "intermediate".

Roses are red, Voilets are blue, Im a Scizophrenic and so an I...
posted 05-25-04 05:35 PM CT (US)     18 / 57  

Quoted from "King Bob VI":

How I became An Intermediate...And how You can Too

Its actually all a typo, he meant to say
How I became An IntermediateNewbie...And how You can Too
posted 05-25-04 05:53 PM CT (US)     19 / 57  
omgfunny!

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 05-25-04 05:58 PM CT (US)     20 / 57  
First Off, This thread IS NOT for discussing the distictions between rookies, inters, and experts.
I do believe, however, that that is being discussed Here.
Second, I am TERRIBLY SORRY if I have offended anyone who believes that because they know nothing about me whatsoever, that I must not be any good. I may be worse than I believe, I may be better than you think. What I DO know, is that since joining this forum, I am 10 times better than before, and I intend to share with new players where some of the most useful stuff is and also how they can improve too. Please do not discuss my skill level here, please be constructive and suggest other links and tips, or tell me what you think of this guide.

THANK YOU for your time.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 05-25-2004 @ 06:03 PM).]

posted 05-25-04 05:58 PM CT (US)     21 / 57  
AnNewbie = Newbie Eggie player who favors Anubis

How I became An Intermediate Newbie...And how You can Too

A Newbie = Me

posted 05-25-04 07:07 PM CT (US)     22 / 57  
OMG DA NEWB IZ FUNY!!!!!!!111111

Zone Name: KoRt_Sc0rpion1
posted 05-25-04 07:18 PM CT (US)     23 / 57  
Well bob , if you wouldnt have "claimed" to be a "intermediate" you wouldnt have gotten flamed 9(As bad)
posted 05-25-04 07:25 PM CT (US)     24 / 57  
I'm beginning to regret the thought that "the friendly and helpful people here are always ready to help you become a better player" Yes, I Am Quite new to this game, but I am improving, and I hope to improve more. I never said I was an Expert, or unbeatable, or very very good. I said:

Quoted from King Bob VI:

I have recently graduated to a skill level that I consider to be "intermediate"

note the I part. I just thought that I deserve a little respect. If I could change the name of the topic, I would, since it so Horribly offends the almighty forumers that have read this post.
Ignore the sig... I bow down to YOU people.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 05-25-2004 @ 07:31 PM).]

posted 05-25-04 08:02 PM CT (US)     25 / 57  
Its good you want to "help" people and the numbers "1" , and "6" are worthwhile but for 6 you need to add play "online"...Playing the game "lots" on single player might help you get down a build order but you dont get much skill.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » How I became An Intermediate...And how You can Too
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames