Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Minigame Competition 2011
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 02-10-11 09:36 AM CT (US)   

(Cheers Joshua4Missions for building on Lord Basse's banner foundation)

There has been some quiet chatter about having a Minigame Competition this year since the last one was (I believe) in 2009.

I hereby offer to host the MGC 2011, right here, right now.

Loosely based on the 2009 competition, the rules are as follows:

Rules

•Your game must be a single player scenario, on a map size of 25x25 or lower, this map template (and several smaller ones) can be found in the blacksmith here (thanks Lord Basse).

•It can be any style; Role playing game, Fixed Force, Build and destroy (if you can fit that on a 25x25 map..!) but it must be playable rather than watchable, that's what the cinematic scenario competitions are for (2010's results here)

Due to popular demand, modpacks and data editing are allowed. If you do use modpacks such as BF_Tanks' enhanced eye-candy editor, please include the file with your submission. Also, be sure to credit the author of any file you use.

•Your submission must be less than 10mb in size (this was a rule last time but I have no objections to bigger files)

•You can't enter anything already submitted to the blacksmith (i.e. entries must have been made specifically for this competition).

The deadline is May 1st (a week after Easter).

When uploading files, please submit them to Single Player Scenarios and add MGC11 to the title of your game. This will help downloaders find your submission and also keep them in kind with previous entries, such as MGC07, MGC08 and MGC09.

Judging

The traditional method for scoring MGC's is to have judges mark each entry, so we would need three(ish) judges to volunteer. I personally intend to enter so could not fill this role. This year entries will be marked on:

Playability - out of 20
Creativity and story - out of 15
Map design - out of 15
Total: out of 50

Judges

Leif Ericson
Tetsuo Shima (Sebastien)
Jatayu
(Dementor561 volunteered to be a judge but this was contested so the other three more experienced judges may decide as to his position)

Also, please reply to this thread if you wish to enter, the more the merrier. Especially since I hear Lord Basse wants to make it a hat-trick and someone ought to stop him winning *everything* in AOKH!

Contestants (Apologies if I've jumped the gun and you were just expressing interest rather than stating your intention to enter)

NowhereT
Julius999
Courtjester1
Basse
The Unconvincing Spook
Ryusaki
Paperclip007
Lord Basse
Possidon
Trisatya
Tripp Eev
Pears
Joshua4Missions
Fanica
Operator
BF_Tanks
Jatayu
Dtrungle
Sathcooperation
Docvilleg
Fenix42
Eridani
Tlaloc_3rd
Lord Sipia
Thekingof555
RladalFatih

More importantly, submissions:

The Arrest by Lord Sipia
All For The Horse by Dtrungle
Run Kitty Run by Gallas
Jungle Of The Gods by Basse
In Your Dreams by Tlaloc_3rd
Strange Brew by NowhereT
The Roadside Daydream by Operator
A Wolf Story by Docvilleg
Counter Tactics by Fenix42
The House Of Miras by Thekingof555

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 05-02-2011 @ 05:57 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-10-11 11:59 AM CT (US)     1 / 293  
Especially since I hear Lord Basse wants to make it a hat-trick and someone ought to stop him winning *everything* in AOKH!
Maybe I'll come out of the woodwork...

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 02-10-11 12:37 PM CT (US)     2 / 293  
Hey, I could finish up the minigame I had in progress for last year; might actually get it done this time .

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List
posted 02-10-11 12:42 PM CT (US)     3 / 293  
Awesome to hear there are some people interested! How long do you reckon is a reasonable time to allow for designers to complete a project? Until Easter?

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 02-10-2011 @ 12:43 PM).]

posted 02-10-11 12:53 PM CT (US)     4 / 293  
This time, I'll be there.

And oh, just to warn you, system B is terrible.

System A seems typical and quite agreeable with.

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 08-10-2011 @ 04:43 AM).]

posted 02-10-11 12:55 PM CT (US)     5 / 293  
Haha thanks for the warning! Hopefully we'll get a few people volunteering to judge, otherwise we might have to go for B...

posted 02-10-11 01:05 PM CT (US)     6 / 293  
The MGC is quite prestigious, and maybe some staff may volunteer for judges.

And don't try System B even when out of options. It's so easy to tamper with, is receptive to favouritism, and all the other problems that comes with parliamentary democracy.
posted 02-10-11 01:30 PM CT (US)     7 / 293  
I agree. Count me up as a contestant. Minigames are the one thing I can design.
posted 02-10-11 01:47 PM CT (US)     8 / 293  
I'm in too, first competition (except CSC) that I feel I can enter, and might have a chance
posted 02-10-11 02:10 PM CT (US)     9 / 293  
@Watson I've removed option B, you're right. For something simple like the CSC it works fine but here we need scores to differentiate really. Also added a preliminary list of contestants so far.

posted 02-10-11 02:25 PM CT (US)     10 / 293  
You forgot me.
posted 02-10-11 02:47 PM CT (US)     11 / 293  
Sorry! Added you now.

posted 02-10-11 03:58 PM CT (US)     12 / 293  
Bah sign me up but on the very bottom... with 97% chance I will not finish...

I'm looking for a good signature.
posted 02-10-11 04:02 PM CT (US)     13 / 293  
Sure thing You can do it, it's only 625 tiles

posted 02-10-11 04:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 293  
You can sign me up.

~ White Light on the Black Sky ~ -- ~ 1st Place (tied) of 4, 2012 Cinematic Scenario Competition ~ [4.7]
~ A Cold Winter's Day ~ -- ~ 2nd Place of 16, 2009 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2009 ~ [4.7]
~ The Mole ~ -- ~ 3rd Place of 15, 2012 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2012 ~ [4.4]
posted 02-10-11 04:46 PM CT (US)     15 / 293  
I will have my hat-trick! I'm in.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 02-10-11 04:52 PM CT (US)     16 / 293  
I would ask the mods to change the name of this so people know that it is the actual competition.
posted 02-10-11 05:01 PM CT (US)     17 / 293  
Count me in for now. If I can finish an entry, I will, if I can't, I won't.

____IN FLAMES____
WE TRUST!

StormWind Studios | BlackForest Studios
posted 02-10-11 05:24 PM CT (US)     18 / 293  
Lord Basse it looks like you'll have some stiff competition, there are quite a few people entering!

@Possidon: Good idea

If any mods read this (most likely Leif Ericson) could you change the name of this thread to "Minigame Competition 2011" please?

posted 02-10-11 06:44 PM CT (US)     19 / 293  
I'm in.

.GIF
Genocide is fun
posted 02-10-11 08:18 PM CT (US)     20 / 293  
posted 02-10-11 08:42 PM CT (US)     21 / 293  
ME

I really have been failing at designing lately but I would like to get back into it really soon. Maybe

So, again Devestator shut the f*ck up, for your own good, and for mine aswell. If you think im a noob, continue with that, but do not tell that noobstuff to the others, because there's people who do not give a flying f*ck about you, komprenas? SHUT THE F*CK UP, AND REMAIN SILENT stupid pervert. - NertyOX
posted 02-10-11 10:36 PM CT (US)     22 / 293  
Well, I'm starting to make a habit of dropping out of competitions so I'm a little bit reluctant to sign up. But hey, I already have my half finished entry from last time so it shouldn't be that hard. And someone has to save the world from the evil that is Basse winning anymore competitions. So yeah sign me up, but don't expect much from me.

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List
posted 02-11-11 02:51 AM CT (US)     23 / 293  
If any mods read this (most likely Leif Ericson) could you change the name of this thread to "Minigame Competition 2011" please?
Done.

Also, I thought I'd let you all know that we're also planning on starting the Pretty Town Contest sometime later this month, and it'll probably finish up around the beginning of April, so you might want to take that into consideration for your deadline.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 02-11-11 03:32 AM CT (US)     24 / 293  
Thanks for updating the name Leif. Ah ok, that's a good point - I guess a lot of people will want to enter both.

Do people want the deadline to be pushed back a bit? It's just over ten weeks til Easter which might not be enough time for everyone.

posted 02-11-11 03:41 AM CT (US)     25 / 293  
I guess I can do both.. now that I have less sporadic access to the editor.

If you could, I'd appreciate if the deadline was reeled a bit back, seeing as March is a month where my hands are going to be so full.

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 02-11-2011 @ 03:54 AM).]

posted 02-11-11 06:58 AM CT (US)     26 / 293  
Personally I think you should postpone the competition until after the PTC. I, for one, am not going to have time to work on two entries at the same time, one is already stretching it.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 02-11-11 07:03 AM CT (US)     27 / 293  
Yeah that's probably a popular move; rather than postpone it though I'll just move the deadline back a bit so people have a longer length of time to make an entry. How does mid-May sound?

posted 02-11-11 08:49 AM CT (US)     28 / 293  
Why not wait with running PTC after MGC?

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 02-11-2011 @ 08:52 AM).]

posted 02-11-11 09:22 AM CT (US)     29 / 293  
I like that idea

It's the staff's decision I guess, although since I imagine both competitions will attract many of the same competitors, maybe it's best to at least have a few weeks between the deadlines...

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 02-11-2011 @ 10:41 AM).]

posted 02-11-11 10:48 AM CT (US)     30 / 293  
Either host the PTC after the MGC or the MGC after the PTC. We can't do two at the same time. There is just too much at the moment. We also have the Historical Scenario Contest as well.
posted 02-11-11 12:03 PM CT (US)     31 / 293  
Been wanting to do this for longer than you know. After all, minigames are my speciality and what I'm best at in the editor.

I'm In.

joshua4missions

[This message has been edited by joshua4missions (edited 02-11-2011 @ 12:05 PM).]

posted 02-11-11 12:52 PM CT (US)     32 / 293  
I think I'll do my best for this edition of MGC.

Sign me up.

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.
posted 02-11-11 02:11 PM CT (US)     33 / 293  
Having the PTC and MGC at the same time is by far the best idea, but with generous deadlines for both. People rarely design only one thing at a time so there's nothing lost there. More importantly having lots of consecutive competitions with relatively short deadlines is less likely to produce entries.

Also, there's an excellent chance I won't be able to enter this by the way.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 02-11-11 02:37 PM CT (US)     34 / 293  
That's a good idea Julius, saves a lot of bother and I think you're right that it'll result in more entries.

What would constitute a generous deadline?

Hope you can enter Julius, some of your stuff is great quality!

posted 02-11-11 04:51 PM CT (US)     35 / 293  
I would like to enter this competition.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Minigame Competition 2011
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames