Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ESO and Scenarios
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 14 August 2004 04:58 PM EDT (US)   
People on ESO are really messed up. They dont have respect for designers at all.

Just yesterday I discovered that (yet again) a person edited all the messages that said "made by auron" by "made by CT_xraider" on hyrule nomadv3. not only it has happened to me, but i have seen this in several other scenarios, such as Cheezys world map, which really, was and might still be one of the most edited scenarios. i even once saw maties Norse Wars in scenario form, and some RMS bloodsports turned into scenarios and changed the name of the original author. i mean really, even RM scripts are being turned into scenarios!.

xamos scenarios, the build a titan, and specially gold underground have been far the most edited scenarios. strategy underground has been edited so many times that no one knows who the original creator was.

many people here might think that whenever a person edits your scenario, its a complement, but it isnt! its disrecpect to the original author. i guess this goes to show what kind of people hang out on ESO all day...really, no matter what type of file MP file you create, it will get edit it by someone sooner or later. this is why i really decided not to create MP scenarios anymore. why bother when someone is going to steal all the credit by putting themsleves as the author of your work, or edit it. the worse thing is that there isnt anything you can do about it. its legal, and you cant copyright whatever you do on the editor....

regards
Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
Replies:
posted 14 August 2004 05:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 42  
As I've never been on ESO, have people already copied my soccer scn?

On topic again, who actually cares Auron, these people are complete losers who are not even capable of making a scn during their PC life, they're even so pathetic that they have to recieve credits or praises from other nerds to increase their self-estimation. Ridiculous. IMO, one shouldn't care about these sort of people, but rather laugh while watching someone getting satisfied through these means...

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 08-14-2004 @ 05:08 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 05:23 PM EDT (US)     2 / 42  
hmm, i dont know....i only visit ESO about 2 every month.....i mostly do so my account rating with HD_Evil666 doesnt get canceled. and i've really forgot to test out your scenario. i'll do it tomorrow that is sunday

posted 14 August 2004 05:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 42  
Yay, I thought you wouldn't like to. What's your right of course.
posted 14 August 2004 05:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42  
posted 14 August 2004 05:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42  
it wouldnt be much use archer, since those XS codes have to be use in one of the new triggers at the download section. people can easily get through triggers...

Quote:

Why don't we just get our campaigns etc. in *.BAR archives, like ES' campaign (one could open it with the bar extractor, but there are few people who do that)?
Does anyone have a program to do that?

can you explain this more further aomplayer? i dont think AoMed can open or create .BAR files......

posted 14 August 2004 05:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 42  
It can open them for sure, but it can't create them... They're like *.zip files, except that AoM can read the files in them... But, as I said, I don't think there's a "WinBar" or sth ... You had to ask ES' for this archive program.
posted 14 August 2004 05:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 42  
Or there is you put in your MP that they have to talk to you first before the can change your Mp, that what I did with on of my MP and only one person changed it.

The boundary rules:

If you see the road… YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR!!!
If you see the red tape on the trees… YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR!!!
If you see no one near you… YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR!!!

posted 14 August 2004 05:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 42  

Quote:

Or there is you put in your MP that they have to talk to you first before the can change your Mp, that what I did with on of my MP and only one person changed it.

haha, sorry. but thats funny

in my map, i put "hyrule nomadv3, a merlord studios project, editing this scneario is forbittten, made by auron_2, proud member of merlord studios" and people still edit it. so this wouldnt help.

posted 14 August 2004 05:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 42  
It's strange that Heaven has no policy on this. I mean, stealing should be subject to banning and deletion of the work from the archive. We do this for flaming and cheating, why not for stealing scenarios? Maybe add the line, "Most ripped off scenarios" in your sig?

I am no legal expert but as far as I know you can copyright your AOM projects. While the AOM license agreement does not allow you to sell the work, in North America, all original work, as long as it's documented in some tangible, non-abstract form (such as writing it down, making a scenario, recording it) automatically makes it copyright material. Copyright means just that, the right to copy it. And you don't even need the little (c) symbol but the work should have the line:

(c)xxx(date) by YYY (author)All rights reserved and protected by law, no part of this project may be reproduced without express written consent by the author.

The only problem is enforcement. Unfortunately copyright laws make the author incumbent to find the violator and take action- that is it is not a criminal offense but a civil issue. Best you can do is ask the violator to cease and desist. Failing that you would have to sue them. While proving damages is about impossible, it may at least scare the thief.

posted 14 August 2004 06:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 42  

Quote:

Maybe add the line, "Most ripped off scenarios" in your sig?

wtf?

Quote:

The only problem is enforcement. Unfortunately copyright laws make the author incumbent to find the violator and take action- that is it is not a criminal offense but a civil issue. Best you can do is ask the violator to cease and desist. Failing that you would have to sue them. While proving damages is about impossible, it may at least scare the thief.

haha, you cracking right? i wouldnt go to those extremes for an scenario, and i think no one would. and no one would fall for that.

i think somewhere on aom, it says that all scenarios made with the editor are automatically property of microsoft, and copyrighted by microsoft, eventhough you make them, now aint that a rip off?

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 08-14-2004 @ 06:07 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 06:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 42  
Well they write all kinds of stuff in their license agreement half of which would never stand up.

I'm not saying you go to court or anything dude, but a stern email warning to the thief may be all you need. Only reason I even mentioned it was since I have done it before. Not in AOM, but in the some of the film work I've done. Guess what happened? In both cases the unauthorized user wrote me an apology, I got a nice cheque, and finally got credit on the new work, all from a single letter!

What about the Heaven suggestion, maybe ask the mods to review the case and ban/remove from the dbase the unauthorized work?

The sig thing, maybe rephrase it to:

"Designer of the most ripped-off maps".

I dunno dude, just trying to have fun with an unfortunate circumstance. Just trying to be helpful and supportive.

posted 14 August 2004 06:23 PM EDT (US)     12 / 42  
The editing thing happend to my games all the time at the zone. At first I got really pissed about it...the more because a lot of games where messed up and totally unbalanced after some n00bs had edited them and guys came to me screaming you suck etc etc... (some the n00bs where to lazy to skipp my name from the scenario). The thing which really suprised me is that I got NO support at all in the swbgH community as I talked about this issue...and as I started listing the n00bs who edited the games some guys in the community said that I was the one who went too far....very strange

Well in the end only my original scenarios survived and are still downloaded and played nowadays. Just ignore those lamers like Aomplayer said...and as for respect.. well there are just very vew guys and girls who have that nowadays. It looks like this steady trend is becoming the common rule and that to be rude/ disrespectfull and just act like a primitif creature is the way to behave nowadays. I sometimes think that they not simply act like that but that they just have a primitif mind.

You can try to use some tricks (like mentioned below)so your scenarios become uneditable but frankly I think its a waste of your time and energy.....better use it for creating your stuff for us guys who will respect you and your games .

Best regards,
The Vandhaal

Quote:

automatically property of microsoft, and copyrighted by microsoft, eventhough you

Well Microsofty is one worst of all lol I just mention here : Xerox park and windows concept

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 08-14-2004 @ 06:34 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 06:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42  
Mabey on the next ES game there should be some sort of password protection to the triggers?
Now i dont now how secure this would be or how easy it is to implement it,but i would of thought it would be the most easy way to get over this problem.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
posted 14 August 2004 06:33 PM EDT (US)     14 / 42  

Quote:

You can try to use some tricks (like mentioned below)so your scenarios become uneditable but frankly I think its a waste of your time and energy.....better use it for creating your stuff for us guys who will respect you and your games .

*agrees*

Quote:

The sig thing, maybe rephrase it to:

"Designer of the most ripped-off maps".

that quote looks somehow offensive...

ahahah, i wont go to those extremes tbarak. i made this topic not to complain about my scneario being edited and not to find solutions on how to make an scenario not to be edited, but what happens to most scenarios and some popular RMS when they are played too often on ESO

posted 14 August 2004 07:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 42  
Hey LJC.....WTF dude? I've made this little poem in your honour.

There once was a guy named LJC,
He promised to review my cine you see,
He said he would rate it and write it up too,
Now get busy and write the damn review.

You can thank me later for your ode. And please make it good. I not only have to fight off that King Jared, now Baron is also giving me a hard time.

Don't make me get nasty and have to re-edit your cine and put my name on it.

posted 14 August 2004 07:34 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42  
I wonder, since "No content or image may be used without express permission." goes for anything put on a website would that make it illegal for some loser to put their name in a scenario?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 08-14-2004 @ 07:35 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 07:59 PM EDT (US)     17 / 42  

Quote:

It can open them for sure, but it can't create them... They're like *.zip files, except that AoM can read the files in them... But, as I said, I don't think there's a "WinBar" or sth ... You had to ask ES' for this archive program.

Write data file...

But it requires you to make some sort of weird index-like file called default.txt.

It's in every bar file.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 08:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 42  
Auron, you really need to chill and not worry so much about getting credit. Why do you even care if random people on ESO know who made a scenario? They probably don't give a damn either way.

Am I the only person who designs scenarios because it's fun? Even if it were possible to lock off all the triggers (like it more or less is in AoK), I still would never do it. If you think you can improve one of my scenarios, you're welcome to. And if you can learn something new about design by checking out my triggers, so much the better for the scenario world at large.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited 08-14-2004 @ 09:03 PM).]

posted 14 August 2004 09:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 42  
Maybe in the next ES game, they should make two trigger options, 'View Triggers' and a password-protected 'Edit Triggers'.

That way people can learn from them, with being able to edi them.

Why vote
for a
JOhnKErry

BUSH |*=|
Cheney'04

posted 15 August 2004 00:01 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42  

Quote:

password-protected 'Edit Triggers'

This would be a realllll microsofty idea...and you have to buy a microsofty licence to use that password feature in the game...or buy a licence to even start up the editor

No serious Spitfire is right just ignore the lamers and create games for your own fun. Visible triggers is always a good thing for new game designers.

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 15 August 2004 03:12 AM EDT (US)     21 / 42  
Hey Auron, you still havent reviewed my scenario.

I don't think anyone's tried to pawn off my map as their own though. For one thing, it's too bloody big to upload to anyone on ESO. LMAO...

posted 15 August 2004 05:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 42  
@Tbarak:lol OK ok....i can see times are getting tough,what with new competition and all.

Ill get reviewing

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
posted 15 August 2004 08:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 42  

Quote:

Am I the only person who designs scenarios because it's fun?

no (whats the point otherwise?)
posted 15 August 2004 12:11 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42  

Quote:

Am I the only person who designs scenarios because it's fun? Even if it were possible to lock off all the triggers (like it more or less is in AoK), I still would never do it. If you think you can improve one of my scenarios, you're welcome to. And if you can learn something new about design by checking out my triggers, so much the better for the scenario world at large.

everyone, that designs does it for fun. what else?

i might be okay if they at least edit my scenario and make it look different. but what really i cant stand is what i mention, which is just downloading my map, and changing the messages that say "made by auron_2" and put their name in there and not at least change anything to the map.

Quote:

Hey Auron, you still havent reviewed my scenario.

meh, i'll do it someday. its better to wait and work on a decent review rather than work on a short and quick one.

posted 15 August 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42  
Usually in the maps that I post in the web I put a simple trigger hidden among the others that repeats who is the author. For example in my helm deep scenario not far from the fortress there is a group of lions and if you kill them will happear a message that says: "Scenario created by..."

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » ESO and Scenarios
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames