You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: TNS: 2010 1v1 Mapmaking Tournament - Sign up here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 02-01-10 10:48 PM EDT (US)   
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to TNS (Tournament News Station), for all news regarding the 1v1 mapmaking tournament. Please check in here regularly, as we will have feature interviews on mapmaking with contestants and judges once in a while!

As is tradition, all submitted maps have a reasonable chance to be used for the 2010 1v1 PBEM-tournament, and the winning map is ensured participation.

So, what are you waiting for? Read the rules and conditions, and sign up!

*** THE CHALLENGE ***

The assignment is simple.
Make the best 1v1 tournament map in the world.

Conditions (read carefully!).

The map needs to be...
- the only map you submit to this tournament.
- of a SMALL SIZE only.
- playable as 1 vs 1.
- original, so do not use existing maps.
- made by you, and you alone, using the upatch-1.4.
- in English.
- open to criticism and (sometimes heavy...)
- open for the development of special tournament version. These are revisions meant to improve playability and balance, as the map may be used for an upcoming 1-v-1 pbem tournament.
- made as a tournament map. This means, for example, as balanced as you can! Both *human* playable Wizard should have an approximately equal chance of winning.
- available for the public (once submitted).

For the rest, everything is up to you! You can have underground or not, as many events (but be careful...) and story as you like, a million custom heroes/Wizards, AI Wizards or not, etc, etc...

For good examples of tournament maps, I would highly take a look at the mappack for the 2009 PBEM tournament.

*** THE WINNER ***
Now, why would you want to win this?

#1 - the winner will win a special Age of Wonders/HG drinking cup!
#2 - the winning map is guaranteed to be used in the prestigious 1v1 singles PBEM-tournament final, starting in the summer of 2010. In addition, the winning map may also be used in the first rounds of subsequent PBEM tournaments.
#3 - you can proudly wear the title '1v1 Mapmaking Champion 2010' in your signature! Forever...

NOTE: After the judging, the second and third ranked maps are also guaranteed to be used in the tournament. Remaining maps may also be used, but have no guarantees.

*** REGISTERING ***

Please sign up for this tournament by expressing your interest in this thread and posting your email (This way we can send reminders for the deadline). You can sign up anytime before the deadline to submit the map (see below).

List of contestants: 13
- Swolte
- Enginerd
- LordDuck
- PawelS
- nyarlathotep
- KillKenny
- Albaron
- The AM
- Bluebaby
- Puncturebox
- Charx
- Unsellord
- iBobs

*** SUBMISSION AND TIMELINE ***

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT COMPLETED MAP: MARCH 25th

Please submit the following to: chowguy@heavengames dot com

1) The Map
Please send the .ahm file (doesn't need to be zipped). I recommend NOT to put your name in the map so that judges have no idea who the mapmaker is and be (unconsciously) influenced.

2) -- OPTIONAL -- Statement of Testing and GI-Events -- OPTIONAL --
This is an honor-statement in a text file where you can explain how you have tested the map for balance purposes (no need to submit one if you aren't testing) as well as describe important game influencing events.

- Playtesting (balance): Playing for more than 12 ingame days counts as one testing session. You can indicate how many times you have tested and in what fashion
It's up to each judges' discretion how much value they attach to these statements for their score on 'Balance'.
- GI Events: Game influencing (GI) events are events that influence actual gameplay (Events other than for atmosphere and story). You are advised to indicate the most crucial ones, and in your mapmaking of a tournament map, to keep them to a minimum.

See example below in the FAQ!!

*** THE JUDGING ***

- Who will judge?

TO BE CONFIRMED:
- Arnout (Your Triumph Studios main scenario design/balance developer)
- Timelord (Your Cherub, winner of 2009 1v1 mapmaking tournament, former WL-champion)
- Costa (Your 2009 PBEM champion)
- The Groll (Your expert mapmaker)

- How will the maps be judged?
Chowguy will send the maps on to the judges who will only get the titles of the maps. They do NOT know who made those maps.
The maps will be judged on these three characteristics at face value.

Balance
This design basically and PURELY answers the question: "would you take a challenge playing either Wizard?"
- Are there any unfair advantages for one Wizard?
- Does one side have more opportunity to exploit game mechanics than the other? (e.g., seduce, control animal, etc...)
Note that a map doesn't need to be symmetrical in order to be balanced. You can be quite creative here.

Playability
This design determines whether a map is fun to play AND suits a tournament. Is there something unique/creative in the (strategic) design of the map that makes the gameplay stand out? Is it too predictable, or unpredictable? Is it easy to see what the game-influencing events are doing? Would it take too long to finish, or too fast? To what extent does winning depend on human x human play (as opposed to against AI)? Etc...

Atmosphere
This design determines how the map feels to play: the setting. Can you relate to the Wizard/Heroes? How creative is the landscape and special areas? Are there events or special signs that add to the atmosphere? A story?

*** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ***

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I will put them up here with the answers.

What does a statement of testing look like?
A statement of testing should give a judge a quick impression.

This is an example:
---------------------------------
STATEMENT OF TESTING/ EVENTS
Map: The Depths.

BALANCE TESTING
Map playtested against myself (5 sessions)
Map playtested with friend (1 sessions)
Map playtested by testers (1 sessions)

(Provide links if there were actual threads)

Relevant comments: Big Archon main starting city does not allow building of Saints.

GI EVENTS
All events were play tested!

Important game influencing events:
- When Queen Ellessil captures the Wand of Earth item, and brings it to the temple of Gaia, the Goblin main underground area will collapse (change terrain: dirt/rock).
- A mighty hero will appear for King Gobbo upon killing the rogue elven hero called Skitzy.

----------------------------------

Isn't the statement of testing flawed and unfair?
The main purpose of this statement is to motivate people to actually test their maps. It is also a way to appreciate those mapmakers who do test!

However, the judges can now also take this into account at their discretion. It will simply be unrealistic time-wise to judge balance on the basis of playing the map once as a judge. There is a lot an experienced eye can see. Keep in mind that if, for example, the map has a lot of events, and is quite asymmetrical, a judge may put more value on the presence of such a statement than when the map is quite straightforward and doesn't need much testing.

However, it is an honor statement and people can indeed lie, and exaggerate. Not to mention that the amount of testing doesn't mean the map is actually balanced better. Please bear in mind that the judges will be (made) aware of this as well.

As for events, these are sometimes not obvious to people and pointing Game influencing events out may make for a better assessment of the balance.

No points are subtracted from NOT having such a statement.

Will the scores of my map be made public?
The idea is that we will only make public a top 5 ranking of maps without scores. Average scores (from all 4 judges per map) are available upon request after the judging. We will not make the names of the judges known.

Can I still change my map after the mapmaking tournament for the pbem tournament?
YES! If your map will be chosen for the upcoming pbem tournament you will receive feedback to make it even better. If you don't have time to fix things, the tournament organizers will make a tournament version of your map and use this.

Can my map get disqualified?
Yes, your risk disqualification if your map does not adhere to any of the conditions listed at the top. Ultimately, the judges decide what to do in such situations.

Why ONLY small maps? I have too many cool ideas and they don't fit!
Sorry, this particular mapmaking tournament is specifically designed for an upcoming 1v1 pbem tournament. FFA mapmaking tournaments allowing for larger sizes will certainly follow in the future.
Allowing medium maps would take too long to finish, even though these can be more interesting. Another reason is that its a very manageable size for our overambitious, and beginner mapmakers. A short but intense time to mapmake is usually best and keeps things fun!

Will my map be played blind?
('Blind' means that the players will not look at the map in the editor before the tournament starts).

No. In the case where knowledge can have influence on the outcome of the game, it is tricky, especially with the eye on the upcoming tournament. We cannot realize people playing the map blind for several reasons. First of all, there is no way we can really ensure that people don't know the map. Second, the judges will also want to play in the subsequent tournament. Third, maps may be played simultaneously in rounds so that earlier logs may betray crucial secrets to others. Fourth, the mapmakers themselves may be participating in the tournament.

Can I use SEM?
Yes. SEM stands for 'Standard Editor Mod' which is a tool designed by JamieJME. It is not a mod in the traditional sense, but it can aid in applying cool tricks to existing maps.
Check it out here

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 03-24-2010 @ 08:31 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-24-10 08:35 PM EDT (US)     76 / 158  
Chow has sent out a reminder to all contestants yesterday. All maps will be checked by him (whether the files can be opened, and the mapname isn't in it, etc...) before the judges will get it from him.

The judges may receive the maps as early as over the weekend, depending on Chowguy. We'll have to see how much we can pressure the judges, but at LEAST a week or two sounds reasonable for a deadline.

Great to see iBobs in too! I wonder if there are any other surprises? This definitely makes it harder and harder for me to win. However, my map is really shaping up nicely now... I better get on it this evening to make it work like a charm!

ps, also, for those using SEM2.0, please remember not to send the version saved under SEM resources as it won't be playable ingame for the judges.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 03-24-2010 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 03-24-10 09:26 PM EDT (US)     77 / 158  
Chow has sent out a reminder to all contestants yesterday. All maps will be checked by him (whether the files can be opened, and the mapname isn't in it, etc...) before the judges will get it from him.
Why shouldn't the mapname be in? Maybe you mean the map author?

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 03-24-2010 @ 09:27 PM).]

posted 03-24-10 10:48 PM EDT (US)     78 / 158  
Sorry, yes, mapmaker name.

posted 03-24-10 11:14 PM EDT (US)     79 / 158  
Well...

Got tired of tweaking that last little hex..... Submitted my map!!!

Now... I can relax and get back to my inbox and turns
posted 03-25-10 06:53 AM EDT (US)     80 / 158  
Submitted.

My maps:
  • Mountain of the Gods A small map for 2 or 3 players. Current rating(5): 4.5/5
  • Crusades against a Nightmare A small map for 2 players. Current rating(1): 3.6/5
  • The Great Unknown An extra large map for seven players and one strong Ai. Current rating(2): 4.2/5
  • posted 03-25-10 12:49 PM EDT (US)     81 / 158  
    Submitted!!

(right in the middle of a conference! )

posted 03-25-10 05:07 PM EDT (US)     82 / 158  
    Why shouldn't the mapname be in? Maybe you mean the map author?
    I see...
    posted 03-25-10 05:48 PM EDT (US)     83 / 158  
    Submitted. More or less finished painting, not tested at all but i can't believe i made it in time.
    posted 03-25-10 05:59 PM EDT (US)     84 / 158  
    My map is finished (but not properly tested). I'll submit it in a few hours, maybe I'll still find one or two things that should be fixed (as Chowguy wrote in his email, I have time till midnight forum time).

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 03-25-2010 @ 07:48 PM).]

posted 03-25-10 08:23 PM EDT (US)     85 / 158  
    Map submitted to ChowGuy just a few minutes ago.
    posted 03-25-10 09:18 PM EDT (US)     86 / 158  
    This is exciting ! I can't wait to see the verdict I really have high hope for last year's participants as their last year experience counts a lot.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
    posted 03-25-10 09:25 PM EDT (US)     87 / 158  
    Submitted

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 03-25-10 10:57 PM EDT (US)     88 / 158  
    @Chowguy - it would be interesting to see a list of confirmed maps you have...
    I now have submissions from 11 of the mapmakers on the sign-up list, including iBobs, whose name was not on the reminder list (Sorry :/). Most of those came just in today. Missing are Dreaming and Luke811 both of whom have posted earlier in this thread their regrets at dropping out.

Good turnout, and though I've only had a chance to take a cursory look some of them quite interesting. Glad I'm not one of the judges

CG

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
    posted 03-26-10 07:46 AM EDT (US)     89 / 158  
    I really have high hope for last year's participants as their last year experience counts a lot.
    Haah hah haa!
    My map is just as crappy as last year's version! But I dare judges to test every option I included in there.
    posted 03-26-10 08:22 AM EDT (US)     90 / 158  
    I'm astounded, both that I made it and that so many others made it.
    I'm excited to see the resulting maps. Hope they won't get published before the tourney though.
    posted 03-26-10 08:31 AM EDT (US)     91 / 158  
    I would love to see a poll here about the result as naecO suggested.

It was done with the PBEM tourney, so why not here as well? Just for fun.
    posted 03-26-10 09:26 AM EDT (US)     92 / 158  
    I am also looking forward to see all the maps.
    Hope they won't get published before the tourney though.
    I think we will need at least some months for decent playtesting in order to assure the best balance possible for the next tourney.
    posted 03-26-10 02:13 PM EDT (US)     93 / 158  
    Yes, its too bad we don't have a polling option on the forums. For the main webpage, it is too long.

We can just do it the old fashioned way, I guess... I'll open up something in general discussion.

EDIT: OPENED!!

I am very excited to see the other maps as well! I will try and set up instructions for the judges soon, so that the judging can get started soon and we can all take a look at them after. Indeed, after the maps are judged, we will make them tournament ready.

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 03-26-2010 @ 02:43 PM).]

posted 03-27-10 01:04 AM EDT (US)     94 / 158  
    Map pack and instructions have been sent to judges, who have been asked to check them over and give me an estimate on when they can get me their results. Hopefully that will be by April 15 which gives them three weeks, but we won't set an official deadline till we hear back from them. There are a *lot* of maps, and even a quick playtest (as recommended) can take a while. We don't want to rush them too much now do we?

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
    posted 03-27-10 03:14 PM EDT (US)     95 / 158  
    Best of luck to all participants
    posted 03-29-10 03:18 AM EDT (US)     96 / 158  
    You don't need luck, you need money. At least when it comes to the Groll's vote.
    posted 03-30-10 06:20 PM EDT (US)     97 / 158  
    I hope you understand that this was a joke?
    Otherwise...
    If you like I can send you my account number so you can send me the "needed" money?

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
    Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
    8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
    11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
    Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
    Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
    posted 03-31-10 11:57 PM EDT (US)     98 / 158  
    Don't share your account number with all the hackers in here
    posted 04-01-10 10:33 AM EDT (US)     99 / 158  
    Oh!
    You mean I will loose more money by hackers that grab it from my account than earning money from the mapmakers?
    Hmmm... this could be true...
    So the mapmakers should pay me twice to compensate to loss.

Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
    8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
    posted 04-08-10 06:51 PM EDT (US)     100 / 158  
    Would be nice to get an updated main post
    No map from Killkenny was submitted.

Voting Status - The Groll:
    I have checked and compared all maps now.
    It was a lot of work to check all your maps in the editor and I have spend much time checking them all in the editor.
    But as Swolte has explained my person in the main post of this thread I will take a look at the maps from the outside, what means I will scan them in the editor first.
    - The Groll (Your expert mapmaker)

I have no contact to the other judges so far. Seem we does not talk while we rate for the maps.

Whatever comes in the end you all will get detailed feedback from me for your maps.
    I made a working document to compare all maps just in time and check and compare "way-points" in any map to be able to compare them.
    It was also used to write down impressions, hints and what I like and dislike in the maps.
    It was made to give me a feeling for all the maps. Itīs hard to compare 12 maps when you only have one computer to work on and to vote and compare maps on different days.
    This phase has come to an end now.
    Now game play phase starts.

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 04-08-2010 @ 06:54 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 7  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » TNS: 2010 1v1 Mapmaking Tournament - Sign up here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames