You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What Have The Years Given Us? - An Anthology
posted 23 January 2016 05:04 PM EDT (US)   
In celebration of the new year and new expansion coming, I figure I'd put together this presentation as a way to commemorate the highlights of each past year, and honor the designers whose works made it as far as they did. So without further ado...

What have the years given us?

2002 - Swinger vs Templar_Visionz

One of the few recorded games that were uploaded in the very begining of AoM's time, this vanilla rec set the stage for more recorded games to come. It's startling this was considered "good strategy"...

2003 - The Delphic Oracle

The first campaign that really shined as far as design and creativity, this story is as memorable as the game's campaigns, which, at the time, many people probably weren't finished with!

2004 - New X Editor 3

Considered the greatest gift to scenario designers, this tool paved the way for loads of interesting scenarios. Easy to use, this mod brought features to light which many designers weren't familiar with at the time. Complete with features even for non-designers, everybody could take advantage of this groundbreaking utility.

2005 - The Ring of the Nibelungen Act 1: The Rhinegold

There's no contest here, this campaign was created by one of the greatest one-man-band scenario designers, and his unmatched talent can be seen throughout many of his other creations.

Today's words from the author: "The Ring of the Nibelungen Act 1: The Rhinegold campaign....yes that was my very first one...literally.....the first playable scenario titled: Return to Nibelheim was the first scenario I have ever created for Age of mythology the Titans game...loads of hard work....loads of too hard work...only a crazy person would create such a thing on his own.

Sure I could nowadays say I could have done this or that better but who cares?...I for sure don't care.

Sure I can talk about the crazy, toxic people who behaved like primitives (some even went as far as sending me death threats over email) at the time I released it.....but who cares?...I for sure don't care anymore.

My main goal back then was to inspire and give people some fun moments in their spare time and having fun myself in my spare time....and that's the only thing I cared and still care for. Looking back at it after more then a decade ( Nibelungen campaign got its 10 year anniversary in march 2015) I can conclude that I managed to succeed in my main goal. Over this past decade I got thousands (yes no boasting/bragging or exaggeration here) positive reactions from people from all over the world, ranging from young guys to fathers who play it together with their children....and girls...loads of girls, girls, girls. And amazingly enough people still download and play it today. Funny note here is that often they have no clue this thing is already so old and they think I just created it :-).

Aside of this the campaign has brought me also some long lasting friendships. There are many guys and girls I have learned to know through it...and there is a close group of people who still hangs out with me. One example is my good pal Glitch....back in 2005 he stumbled on me because of this campaign....and now a couple of weeks ago (2016) we met each other for the first time in real life

Anyway I really hope this campaign keeps inspiring people to whatever creative stuff they like to do in their spare time. I mean, with the new AoM EE and this new expansion coming out the sky is the limit for all.

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

P.s. Oh yes I still love the this campaign and the story of the Nibelungen and although the Rhinegold can also be seen as a stand alone story I still find it a shame that I haven't created the other parts of this saga.
"

2006 - Legends of the Third Age: The Fellowship of the Ring

Before its release, it was the long-anticipated campaign/modpack duo, now it's one of the longtime-downloaded masterpieces since today. Created by a team of legendary designers and modders, this download has become a staple for all types of players throughout the years.

2007 - Nottud's Ultimate Editor Superpack

Three years later, this non-stop AoM guru took the highlight of 2004 and made it even greater, adding aditional features, which have proved quite useful for designers.

Today's words from the author: "Due to the addition of the recently released Tale of the Dragon expansion, the editor really needs some updates which I hope to bring out soon.

It needs some fixes due to ID shifts and the new additions - for example the casting of powers needs some fixing, and the new powers added, and the transform needs the additional new units added.
"

2008 - Age Of Heroes

In this year, a campaign with ten or more scenarios was unheard of. This designer broke that silence and created this adventure which became quite popular very fast.

2009 - EPIC TEXTURES MOD | BETA RELEASED

As modpacks were really begining to take off, this modder wanted a peice of the pie, and created an online-compatible texture pack which changed the way we saw the game's graphics, making them even more attractive than before.

2010 - Nottud's Massive Random Map Pack

We all love compilations, especially those from this programmer who did it again with this extensive and entertaining random map pack.

Today's words from the author: "Several of my maps may have broken due to ID shifts and the new additions. (I also got some new maps to add!)

Hopefully the updates will not take too long but I am lacking in time at the moment due to a current ongoing house move.

With the addition of the expansion I intend to bring out some exciting new maps as a few new mechanics have been introduced. My favorite at the moment is the introduction of the geyser unit that knocks away all enemy human and myth units that dare go near. Not tried yet but apparently it can even be moved and attack as a unit.
"

2011 - Legends of Middle Earth

The greater adventure from a past masterpiece, this project is the result of a team of creators who had a vision, saw it through, and have given us an unforgetable experience.

2012 - Age Of Mythology Unlimited Population and Build Mod

Sometimes simplicity defines perfection, and that rings true for this mod which stretched the limits and was a great improvement for many.

2013 - RAGE OF POSEIDON I

Coming back to campaigns, this was a milestone. Complete with a large number of scenarios, custom sounds and graphics, it revived the concept of the custom campaign, and many have regarded it as comparable to the game's official campaigns.

Today's words from the author: "I created ROP because Age of Mythology is a great game, and it merited a new campaign. I worked so hard to create it and I'm so proud of the results.

ROP was initially a 15-scenario campaign, including only the Greek civilization, and developing Arkantos's, Ajax's, Odysseus's, and Agammenon's personalities that we could see in the Fall of the Trident, and a new enemy, Egios, that I created as the opposite person in respect to Arkantos.

I had some ideas of shorter campaigns with other civilizations and heroes stories, so I decided include a Norse campaign in this first part, working with Reginleif, Brokk and Eitri too.

As the number of scenarios grew, I had to publish it in parts.

SOME THINGS ABOUT RAGE OF POSEIDON I:

-Theratos comes from Thera island, the place that maybe is the real Atlantis location.

-Egios name is based on the Agean Sea, in Spanish it's "Mar Egeo" (EGEO=EGIOS).

-Egios was a good person, but he had a great ambition.

-Suniom Cabe is a real place in Greece.

-The viking brothers are triplets.

-Leda, the Arkantos' wife is based from internet information that i find out time ago.

Thanks,

omega_infinity
"

2014 - RAGE OF POSEIDON II

And this is the sequel...

Today's words from the author: "I did a Norse campaign in the first part, so it was time for Egyptian. This story features Amanra and her job as a mercenary captain, as she faces a war in her land. A Troy and Chiron mission with a new perspective is shown too, not forgetting the main story.

New characters like Admiral Eo, seven mercenary captains, and the Light and Darkness Brothers are made with the intention to develop new missions and objectives, different to the first part and other campaigns like the original.

I never thought that ROP would have a third part, but I have to do it because I extended the finale.

With three parts in ROP, I want to make sure that this final part is absolutely unexpected. I think I got it...

SOME THINGS ABOUT RAGE OF POSEIDON II:

-Eo is a marine general of Poseidon in the anime "Saint Seiya".

-The Captain's names comes from names of special people for me, but upside down and some letters changed.

-Poseidon's marine army appears more in this part because the sea's war is getting crazy by his rage and revenge.

-Misope is a name based on a power seen in the anime "Saint Seiya".

-Krymenos means Hidden in Greek.

-Duisternis means Darkness in Afrikaans.

-The Hades divine relic in the Misope Volcan temple is equal to the Zeus one in the Capricorniuos sanctuary.

-Setna's curses means nothing.

-Only three Poseidon admirals can create the will of Poseidon's power.

RAGE OF POSEIDON III INFORMATION:

I hope to publish the last part on February 2016.

This part will only work in Age of Mythology Extended Edition.

Percent complete (as of January 24th 2016) = 90%

Thanks,

omega_infinity
"

2015 - 2015 supremacy map set

A pack of random maps which have found their way into the offical patch for Voobly, these ES-style compositions were created by only two scripters, and are an eye-opener to anyone who plays supremacy.

Today's words from the author: "I designed the maps in the editor then rebelrising coded them. We went over balance so many times to make sure everything was perfect design-wise, the feel was right, and it's just fun and new unique game-play."

2016 - ?

So what will the year 2016 bring us? With the new expansion less than a day away, I can only imagine it will be a promising and exciting time for the AoM community. Here's to fourteen more years of fun, Long Live AoMH!

PS. I'd like to acknowledge the various other community members who have created pieces equally as amazing as these. You all know who you are. The projects listed here are the ones with the greatest number of downloads for their respective years since today. These are not necessarily the top fourteen downloaded items.

[This message has been edited by That AoM Guy (edited 01-22-2017 @ 03:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 27 January 2016 03:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Looking forward to much expansion themed sexiness. Great thread .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 27 January 2016 07:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Looking forward to much expansion themed sexiness. Great thread .
More lasers and beams of magic.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 01 February 2016 07:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Wow an interesting article and I greatly appreciate the inclusion of some of my stuff. Due to the addition of the recently released Tale of the Dragon expansion the editor and map pack really need some updates which I hope to bring out soon:

The editor needs some fixes due to ID shifts and the new additions - for example the casting of powers needs some fixing and the new powers adding and the transform needs the additional new units adding.

Several of my maps may have broken due to similar changes. (I also got some new maps to add!)

Hopefully the updates will not take too long but I am lacking in time at the moment due to a current ongoing house move.

With the addition of the expansion I intend to bring out some exciting new maps as a few new mechanics have been introduced. My favourite atm is the introduction of the geyser unit that knocks away all enemy human and myth units that dare go near. Not tried yet but apparently it can even be moved and attack as a unit.
posted 08 February 2016 10:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
Good article. Glad LTA is still living on.
posted 23 February 2016 08:25 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
Oh thanks for mentioning 2015 mapset, I didn't see this thread and your mail to me until today.

But yeah a few words about the map, I designed the maps in editor then rebelrising coded them. And we went over balance so many times to make sure everything's perfect design wise, the feel is right and its just fun and new unique game-play.
posted 23 February 2016 08:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
Feel free to put a few words, EaZy

posted 24 February 2016 02:30 AM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Its weird to see what you grew up with summarized so well in a thread.
posted 29 February 2016 05:02 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
Thx for the article.

The screenshots of "The Ring of the Nibelungen Act" are funny.

Are there anthologies about Age2 world?
posted 02 March 2016 00:30 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Don't know

posted 21 December 2016 11:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
Seems Rage of Poseidon III won this year

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-21-2019 @ 07:45 PM).]

posted 22 December 2016 03:13 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Wins should be accounted by the most Downloads + Favorites + Comments, and whatever was first released this year.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 22 December 2016 05:23 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
yes then it would be u

posted 22 December 2016 09:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Expanded Mod was released in 2015 though. Thus making it ineligible.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 02 January 2017 05:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
2016 has ended, I demand a 2016 section!
posted 02 January 2017 10:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
That may be a bit redundant, it was made for the years past at the time and that's how it should stay.

posted 04 January 2017 03:46 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
I think you should add something for 2016. If you didn't intend to then you should not have resurrected the thread suggesting what 'won' for 2016.
posted 04 January 2017 01:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
It was a formality

posted 05 January 2017 03:55 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
posted 04 April 2017 10:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
I may come out with a revised list at the end of this year

Either that or some other kind of list, soon to come

[This message has been edited by Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (edited 04-04-2017 @ 10:12 PM).]

posted 26 December 2017 01:58 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Ferguson Mansion

Congrats

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-21-2019 @ 07:46 PM).]

posted 01 January 2018 06:35 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Eagerly waiting for the update, TAG
posted 13 January 2018 12:35 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
it is that time isn't it...

recently ive acquired some crazy work hours, 60 - 70 a week, so it may be some time before work is done on a list, if any at all.

posted 02 January 2019 08:00 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
Ring of Ice

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 07-30-2019 @ 02:30 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What Have The Years Given Us? - An Anthology
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames