Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: “Strategic Objectives: Stronghold” Scenario
posted 09-17-07 02:22 AM EDT (US)   
“Strategic Objectives: Stronghold” is now available for AOE3 Vanilla and TWC.

Download it here: Strategic Objectives: Stronghold

New Features

“Strategic Objectives” qualifies as a new game type.

It allows to capture neutral buildings that are guarded by guardians (such as Forts and Barracks), and even re-capture them from the AI and vice versa.
Captured buildings offer either economic bonus or military bonus (free units).

Players can capture Great Cannons and use them to construct Fixed Guns anywhere on the map.

In this scenario Players can Teleport their armies behind enemy lines once they captured a sacred temple (for TWC only).

For more details about the contest, online tournament, and prizes see:

The “Strategic Objectives” Challenge and Give Away

Map Layout

There is a Stronghold in the center of the map with high walls and many defending units including a powerful Fixed Gun.
There are a few buildings inside the Stronghold that can be captured from the guardians.
The Inca temple inside the Stronghold provides a special Teleport ability to the player who controls the temple (for TWC only).

The AI

The AI in the new “Strategic Objectives” scenario maps has been enhanced.
The AI is now shrewd and evasive.
This time the AI relies less on numbers and more on tactics, so prepare to be challenged.

The AI is most challenging on “Normal ” and “Hard” levels, but on “Moderate” level the AI is not too challenging.

Game play

There are 20+ neutral structures around the map such as Forts, Barracks, Stables, Mills(with villagers) that are guarded by guardians (who are hostile to anyone who passes by) and any of these structures can be captured by any one of the players.

In addition to that players can re-capture them from each other.

Since every building offers either economic bonus or military bonus it is crucial to capture as many of these structures in order to achieve victory.

There is also one Fixed Gun on top of a hill that can be captured, and 5 Great Cannons that can be captured as well.
Once a player captures any one of the Great Cannons he can use it to build a Fixed Gun anywhere on the map after he reaches the Fortress age.

In order to capture any one of these structures the player has to have at least 7 units near it while no guardians or enemy units are left standing in that area.
There is an exception to this rule with fixed guns and great cannons where it takes only one unit to capture any one of them.

Military buildings that can be captured are invulnerable (so they don't get destroyed).

Players get free units from some captured buildings as long as they don't go over 250 population.

Free units and lower unit population allow for up to 200 unit armies (300-400 population).

Buildings that can be captured have two brown flags on both sides of the building.
That is how the player can know if that building can be captured or not.

After 10 minutes of game play the number of villagers is limited to 40 so players cannot train any more villagers (some exceptions apply to French and Dutch).
That makes capturing mills and plantations more important since you can capture or kill their villagers and the other player cannot train new ones (if he still has more than 40 villagers).

When a mill or plantation (that can be captured) is destroyed, the 10 villagers that come with it will be destroyed automatically.

The scenario includes 40+ card home cities for each civ.

The Sioux Version

This scenario has 5 civ versions for TWC.
Four out of the five civs are European civs (British, Spanish, Dutch, and Portuguese).
The Fifth civ is the Sioux.
This version is different than the rest because the player can train additional units that the Sioux can’t normally train.
When a Nobles Hut is captured, then the player can train Aztec warriors from it.
When Artillery Foundry is captured, then the player can train various cannons from it.
When a Saloon is captured, then the player can train Mercenary units from it.
In addition to that, Docks can train Frigates and Monitors.

Balance Changes

- Villagers have 150 more HP.
- Villagers cost is doubled after 10 minutes.
- Fishing boats are limited to 20.
- Fishing boats cost reduced to 60 wood.
- Explorer has more HP so he doesn't get killed by guardians right away.
- Natives are cheaper.
- Cavalry and cannons take less population.
- Some mercenaries take less population.
- Fixed Gun's range was reduced by 15 (it is 55 now for land and still 70 against ships).

Instructions on how to build Fixed Guns:

Fixed Guns can be constructed anywhere on the map once the player gets to the Fortress age and captures a Great Cannon.

There are two ways to build Fixed Guns:
1. Select the Great Cannon and your Explorer at the same time (both of them have to be selected) and the Great Cannon will be converted into a Fixed Gun.

2. Select the Railroad Worker you captured and place it on top of the Great Cannon.

The second method requires more micro but it is also more rewarding.
Every time you use the second method, all your Fixed Guns will gain 5 range, 5000 HP, and your Railroad Worker will gain 1500 HP.

Be careful not to construct Fixed Guns too close to the water as they may be constructed under water and won’t be functional.

Fixed Guns are very powerful and can help to achieve victory.

Instructions on how to Teleport your army behind enemy lines:

Players can Teleport their armies behind enemy lines once they captured a sacred temple (for TWC only).

The Inca temple inside the Stronghold provides a special Teleport ability to the player who controls the temple (for TWC only).
You capture the Inca Temple when you build a native post right next to the temple and destroy the command post inside the Stronghold.
You would then get a Navajo Tracker and you can Teleport your army from around the Inca Temple to the Navajo Tracker.

If the native post is destroyed then you would loose control of the Inca Temple.

The Navajo Tracker has the Stealth ability which can allow you to send him deep into enemy territory undetected.

To Teleport your army from around the Inca Temple to the Navajo Tracker, just select the Navajo Tracker and your Explorer at the same time.

If your Navajo Tracker is wounded you can then Teleport him to your TC by selecting the Navajo Tracker and your Railroad Worker.

Scenario Versions

I have made several versions with different civs to play with and different difficulty levels.

For Vanilla:

There are 3 different civ versions and 3 difficulty levels for each civ (Easy, Moderate, and Normal).

For TWC:

There are 5 different civ versions and 3 difficulty levels for each civ (Moderate, Normal, and Hard)

“Easy”, “Moderate”, and “Normal” versions are utilizing “Moderate” AI.
The “Hard” version utilizes “Hard” AI.

For average players I would suggest to play the “Moderate” version first.
Very good players can start with the “Normal” version.

No cheating codes are allowed with these scenarios

In the event the cheat codes are being used the AI will receive 100 mercenaries with 20,000 HP.

So just play the level that fits your level the most.

Original Music

I have included one music track from my CD “Quest for the Unknown” with this scenario.
The music track is called “Lord of the Realm” and it plays as opening music.

Scenario Launcher

The “Scenario Launcher” is a special scenario that allows the player to choose the civ he wants to play with.
Once the player chooses his civ the “Scenario Launcher” will launch the appropriate scenario version.

WARNNING

Do not execute the scenario launchers from the Editor - that won't work.
Execute them only from the single player menu.

Special Thanks

I want to thank Schildpad (also known as Furby_Killer) for helping me test the various “Strategic Objectives” scenarios and for his important advice.
Schildpad’s help and feedback was most valuable.

I want to thank pftq for his great “Advanced Effects” that helped me enhance the AI to a new level, and to introduce the “Building Fixed Guns” feature.

I also want to thank somme for his brilliant “Villager Second Calculator” which I used for the free units balancing, and to kjn for making the screen shots for me.

Many thanks to Ensemble Studious for the Custom Scenarios Online (CSO) feature that all of us are waiting for impatiently.

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 09-17-2007 @ 02:28 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-17-07 11:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
firstly why are there patch blockers around the cliff edges?

anyway looks great, as allways! not my cup of tea though, to much skirmish type things to do. so i wonder when you will make another scenario that isn't strategic objectives?

Scenarios I have made
Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
posted 09-17-07 12:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
firstly why are there patch blockers around the cliff edges?
In this kind of map the cliffs and canyons are normally blocking passage as you can see from the other cliffs that I didn’t place any path blockers.
However, some of them did allow passage, so I decided to place the path blockers to prevent such passage.
It also doesn’t look good when units go up and down vertically.
This way it is also consistent across the map.
anyway looks great, as always! not my cup of tea though, to much skirmish type things to do.
Thank you gunner1,
Why don’t you like skirmish type scenarios?

My scenarios are usually skirmish type but I allow for fast pace economy to be developed.
The players start with more villagers and crates, and once they capture a mill or two around 5 minutes then the economy takes off pretty fast.

I don’t know whay I am not into a story type scenarios.
Maybe because I don’t have talent for writing stories.
so i wonder when you will make another scenario that isn't strategic objectives?
Lol, are you getting tired of “Strategic Objectives”? Did I make too many already?
Well, I am almost done.

I am working on another one now but with a whole new way of collecting resources, so it is going to be very different.
I am also adding a new feature (ability) to this one.

I will then have probably just one more which will also be different from the rest, and then I will probably be done with “Strategic Objectives” single player scenarios for a while.
However, I will probably continue to make multiplayer versions until there is enough variety.

I have a new idea for another type of scenario with no villagers where resources are gained by military units.
This one will have conflicts from the start.
So I already have enough planned for the next few months.

I will leave the “story” type scenarios for you, how about that?

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 09-17-2007 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 09-17-07 12:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
Why don’t you like skirmish type scenarios?
well firstly i don't play skirmish and even when i played skirmish i would only play it online. for me playing it offline was just to boring, even in a scenario.
Lol, are you getting tired of “Strategic Objectives”? Did I make too many already?
think about reviews, you can't get 5 creativity over and over again if you allways make the same scenario, with only a few changes each time (maybe you can, i guess i should really check the guide). I also think you are a good designer, but is best to do a variety of scenarios and not be typecast for one scenario.
I will leave the “story” type scenarios for you, how about that?
neh i can't handle it on my own it is upto the whole community to do. actauly a little warning is i am finding comstantly that when i make multiplayer scenarios i can't do what i like because of the very high levels of lag. i mean i am making scenarios with say 20 trigges that are running at once at anyone time. i find that i have to decrease the number of human players i wanted by 2 just to stop it from lagging badly.

Scenarios I have made
ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
posted 09-17-07 01:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
well firstly i don't play skirmish and even when i played skirmish i would only play it online. for me playing it offline was just to boring, even in a scenario.
So you haven’t played any of the new “Strategic Objectives” scenarios yet?
I have played many games online and many of them were boring.
However, I promise you that you won’t be bored when you play “Strategic Objectives”.
The action starts at 5 minutes.
“Stronghold” is the best one yet, and the “Moderate” version is a good level to start with.
but is best to do a variety of scenarios and not be typecast for one scenario.
I agree.
The reason I made a few versions this time was for the contest and tournament.
I wanted to have more variety.
posted 09-17-07 02:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
i played the very first one just to see waht the hype was about, i got bored after a few minutes though. there is no way to convince me otherwise, i just will stop playing a scenario the moment i see i control a TC. for me scenario design is the fun part, playing a scenario on your own is not so fun, unless it really is something completely new!

Scenarios I have made
posted 09-18-07 02:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
This scenario looks great, i doesnt have too much water (wich i dont like)

You rock Moshe, and the idea of Military gaining resources is awsome, i'll definatly dowload that scenario.

EDIT: if i dont want the music (i listen my own music while playing), can i just dont copy it to sound folder?
will it affect gameplay in any other way rather than only dont listening to the music?

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 09-18-2007 @ 02:30 PM).]

posted 09-18-07 02:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22  

Thank you Eicho,
if i dont want the music (i listen my own music while playing), can i just dont copy it to sound folder?
You are correct, you don’t have to copy it, and that won’t effect the game play.
posted 09-18-07 04:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
I have just played this scnerio, it took me ~1 hour on British, moderate difficulty.

It's awsome

I'll send you the proof of victory, and some images (i took a lot )

The Navajo teleporting thing didnt worked.
I had a lto of units around Inca Temple, and selected him and explorer at same time, nothing happened.
posted 09-18-07 07:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
Thank you Eicho,
I had a lto of units around Inca Temple, and selected him and explorer at same time, nothing happened.

You have to destroy the Stronghold Command Post first
, and ally with the Inca (build Inca trading post next to the temple).

You don’t get to control the Inca Temple until you do these two things.

When you gain control over the Inca Temple you will get 1000 gold every minute, and you get notified for that every time.

You would then be able to Teleport your army (from around the Inca temple) to your Navajo Tracker when you select the Navajo Tracker and your explorer at the same time.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 09-18-2007 @ 07:15 PM).]

posted 09-18-07 07:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
I destroyed the Command Post and allied with th Inca there, and i recived 1000 gold every minute, but it just didn't worked.
posted 09-18-07 07:53 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22  
I destroyed the Command Post and allied with th Inca there, and i recived 1000 gold every minute, but it just didn't worked.
I am not sure then.

I tested the British and Sioux versions and it worked for me.

Which civ did you play?

Do you have a saved game to send me so I can look into it?
posted 09-18-07 08:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
I was British, and i saved after the pop-up that said me to save it.
I dont know how to post a saved game here, but i took screen shots.

(that image was tooked several seconds after both where selected, so it's not that)
posted 09-18-07 08:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  
I dont know how to post a saved game here, but i took screen shots.
Just send me your proof of victory (the saved game and screen shot) via email and I will look into it.
posted 09-19-07 02:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 22  
@MosheLevi,
Why can't we/I start the scenario from the editor?... Does it have anything to do with unit object IDs? (this is just a guess, but I would HIGHLY aprecciate to know)

ID: Northern_Lord (at agecommunity)
posted 09-19-07 02:44 AM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Why can't we/I start the scenario from the editor?... Does it have anything to do with unit object IDs?
You can execute the actual scenarios from the Editor and it would work but you won’t be able to save the game, and you won’t have your proof of victory for the contest.

The scenario launchers won’t work from the Editor because you cannot load a scenario by a scenario from the Editor.

For “Battle of the Bay” and “Stronghold”, you can execute any of the scenarios from the main menu (scenario launchers or the actual scenarios).
It would work either way.

The other two scenarios (“Islands” and “Cryptic Lakes”) will cause AOE3 to crash to desk top if you execute the actual scenarios from the main menu.
So for these two you would need to use the launcher.

Another way to prevent the crash (for these two scenarios) is to open the Editor first (from the Options menu), and then go back to the main menu and execute any of the actual scenarios.
That will prevent the crash.

All this has nothing to do with unit object ids.
posted 09-19-07 09:09 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22  
Ok. Can you help me with my problem with object Ids? I've made a thread about it.

ID: Northern_Lord (at agecommunity)
posted 09-30-07 04:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
I hadn't read that trade monopoly is not allowed and used it 10 minutes after it told me that i am near victory just to remove the hassle of having to defeat his fleet. Does this mean that i have to reload it from where it said i am near victory and beat it over without the use of trade monopoly?
Also once I have done that what email do i send the recording and the screenshots to?
posted 09-30-07 10:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
Does this mean that i have to reload it from where it said i am near victory and beat it over without the use of trade monopoly?
Yes, you can go ahead and do that.
once I have done that what email do i send the recording and the screenshots to?
Send it to MosheLeviM@yahoo.com and specify your address and game preference.
posted 10-04-07 05:33 AM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
Honestly now,
Is this thing beatable on Hard? I've been playing Spain and beaten moderate and normal. I haven't bothered saving the victory screen because it was rather easy once I figured out some key moves. But now the 40 viller cap is just stupid. The Great Cannon cannot take out the 12 falconets and super upgraded Guard Hussars with 680 HP that the AI pumps out! I've tried land and sea and nothing can stop the onslaught. My positions just keep getting overrun after 20 minutes. What gives, Levi?
posted 10-04-07 10:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
Is this thing beatable on Hard?
Yes of course, several players have beaten the “Hard” version.
It’s just Hard to do that even for very good players.
But now the 40 viller cap is just stupid.
You can easily have 70+ villagers and you can make 20 fishing boats too.
The 40 villager cap applies only at 10 minutes.
So if you train villagers all the time and capture enough mills and plantations then you have that many villagers.
This is just a rule that forces you NOT to loose villagers to the AI.
If you do then you will loose on Hard.
The Great Cannon cannot take out the 12 falconets and super upgraded Guard Hussars with 680 HP that the AI pumps out!
Did you use the Railroad Worker and Great Cannon to build Fixed Gun?
That is they key for beating these units.
Especially if you build 1 or2 walls between the AI’s units and your fixed gun.
Heavy cannons from the Factory will also help a lot.

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 10-04-2007 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 10-04-07 07:35 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
I done did it. Plenty of heavy imperial cannon and some other tricks to stimey the opposition. I'll be sending the screenies. Thanks for an awesome challenge!
posted 10-04-07 09:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
done did it. Plenty of heavy imperial cannon and some other tricks to stimey the opposition. I'll be sending the screenies. Thanks for an awesome challenge!
Good job, it is very hard to beat the “Hard” level.
I know lots of trick and still can’t do it.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » “Strategic Objectives: Stronghold” Scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames