Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: POLL: Combining SD and MPD
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-07-08 05:22 PM CT (US)   
See Post 50 for the results of this poll (SD and MPD will be merged). There is now a naming thread available and I'd like everybody's suggestions on what to name the new forum.

(There is another POLL thread active in the ModPack Discussions forum.)

Given the nature of both Scenario Design and modding these days (for some people, they're more or less combined), and how modifications are no longer taboo in the SD world, how would all of you feel about us combining two of our forums, ModPack Discussions and Scenario Design? Cases in point:

Age of Chivalry
Age of The Apocalipse

Along with other discussions that cross the line into Mod territory that primarily happen here in SD. What a combination would mean is that anybody could ask SD *or* mod questions in a single forum, and given the activity of this place compared to MPD, there's more likely to be an answer, as well as more publicity for mod showcases.

If you guys, of course, don't like the idea (help us make our decision and feel free to state why!), we would have to move the mod showcases listed above to MPD simply so we can keep SD related to Scenario Design and MPD related to game mods. But as you can see, the line has blurred somewhat; ATW, for instance, is a campaign, but it includes some pretty intense modifications.

Feel free to state your thoughts on this, guys. We're listening!

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 09-11-2008 @ 11:50 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-07-08 05:54 PM CT (US)     1 / 54  
I like them separate. Because while some scenarios do have modifications, modifications (stats mods, graphic mods) are such a distinct function that they deserve their own forum. While some scenarios have mods, mods don't necessarily have scenarios. In fact, they usually don't.

Do the guys in SD really want to field lots of questions like,"How do we change stats?" "My goodness there's a white box around my new unit!!" etc. The people in the mps forum have been dealing with those for years and thus are able to quickly help newbies.

[This message has been edited by qaz123tfg (edited 09-07-2008 @ 05:55 PM).]

posted 09-07-08 06:56 PM CT (US)     2 / 54  
The people in the mps forum have been dealing with those for years and thus are able to quickly help newbies.
The idea would be to combine the communities.
Because while some scenarios do have modifications, modifications (stats mods, graphic mods) are such a distinct function that they deserve their own forum
Very true and noted.

Any more opinions?

posted 09-07-08 06:59 PM CT (US)     3 / 54  
I definitely want them to stay separate. :| I dont like the idea of combining them at all. I cant explain why, and I dont know why, but it just sounds no good.

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
posted 09-07-08 07:05 PM CT (US)     4 / 54  
I think it'd be a boon to modding. No one goes there anymore, so there's more of a chance to get help here than there if you're making a mod.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-07-08 07:57 PM CT (US)     5 / 54  
A definite yes.

me
posted 09-07-08 08:14 PM CT (US)     6 / 54  
posted 09-07-08 08:16 PM CT (US)     7 / 54  
Merge them. Modding is some people's way of contributing to the community, and their way of showcasing their creativity, just as SD'ing is other people's way of showing theirs.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
posted 09-07-08 08:26 PM CT (US)     8 / 54  
A definite yes.
Yes.
Yes what? Be specific on what you want and share your thoughts.

posted 09-07-08 08:43 PM CT (US)     9 / 54  
it doesn't hurt to combine them because the forum's aren't very active.

if there was mass traffic then you could keep them separate.
posted 09-07-08 08:48 PM CT (US)     10 / 54  
I'm all up for merging.

Agamemnon and Kor/Andrew Dunn posted their project's threads in the SD forum, and they had maximum response to their work.

It would be highly beneficial to merge the two sub-forums because the modding community would receive the response they are after.

Stop segregation!

[This message has been edited by White Dragon (edited 09-07-2008 @ 08:53 PM).]

posted 09-07-08 08:49 PM CT (US)     11 / 54  
I'd welcome the change, but I think Shadowflare and the modders should have the final decision.

My opinion is -- I think they should stay separate, while adding another experienced modder as a new staff Moderator for MPD.

I also think that MPD should have their own poll.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 09-07-2008 @ 09:01 PM).]

posted 09-07-08 09:13 PM CT (US)     12 / 54  
I say yes because the Modpack forum is barebones active, and mod threads are already posted in SD. Mod threads would get more attention if only posted in this forum, and mod questions would get answered more, as well as the current SD community being able to know more about modding.

me
posted 09-07-08 09:33 PM CT (US)     13 / 54  
I also think that MPD should have their own poll.
Actually... thanks, point taken. I was thinking that a single thread would represent more how both communities feel, but now that I think of it, it'd be the opinions of SD'ers outweighing the opinion of the MPD community.

Anyway, keep going guys! Your opinions are invaluable.

posted 09-07-08 10:43 PM CT (US)     14 / 54  
Yes what? Be specific on what you want and share your thoughts.
My rationale is that it's better to have a few active forums than a lot of inactive forums. It might also allow ideas to cross-pollinate better (for example, and SDer seeing a mod that might be useful in his scenario).
posted 09-08-08 00:44 AM CT (US)     15 / 54  
I agree with the merger.

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 09-08-08 05:36 AM CT (US)     16 / 54  
I see no good reason why it should not. After all, scenario designing and modding are pretty much becoming one nowadays. Besides, like the majority stated, the MD forum lacks activity and attention.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 09-08-08 05:42 AM CT (US)     17 / 54  
I stand for keeping them separated but, however, if they are merged, the fusion needs a new name: 'Editor's Pages' or something similar.
posted 09-08-08 05:57 AM CT (US)     18 / 54  
Another reason to combine the two forums is that we have less traffic in ModPack Discussion. I miss a forum for the scripter in AoKH, a forum for the AI scripter and Random Map Scripts, a MPS file is a Modification Pack Script.

My vote would be 'No' for the merger. I propose to add RMS and AI Discussion to the ModPack Discussion forum to close the gap and to generate more traffic.

The Scripter's Guild
(AI, ModPack, RMS Discussion)
posted 09-08-08 07:06 AM CT (US)     19 / 54  
I think merging the two forums would be good. The modpack forum has a much smaller group of regulars and many scenario designers at present have much more experience in modding than, say, three years ago. The split between the two communities is therefore only artificial and not a proper representation of the community, where many people are both modder and designer.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 09-08-08 10:58 AM CT (US)     20 / 54  
Yes to the merge.
posted 09-08-08 11:06 AM CT (US)     21 / 54  
Yes to the merge because I visit the modpack forum once in a blue moon.

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
posted 09-08-08 11:45 AM CT (US)     22 / 54  
Yes to the merger. Lots of knowledgeable people in modpack discussion would help improve the communities knowledge base and make the design community more close-knit .

-will.

Discworld Designer!
MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
Project Page
posted 09-08-08 12:06 PM CT (US)     23 / 54  
I say. For reasosn mentioned.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 09-08-08 12:57 PM CT (US)     24 / 54  
I TOTALLY agree. This would draw more attention to upcoming modpacks, and people who dont check SD but do check MPD would also get interested in the Map-Editor

*copies Quaazi's message*

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
posted 09-08-08 02:37 PM CT (US)     25 / 54  
I have advocated a merge in the past. At this point, the majority of modding is done with scenario designing in mind, and most designers who have a post or question about modding do so in SD already.

Not sure how that would work with like 10 stickies though

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 09-08-08 02:42 PM CT (US)     26 / 54  
The count so far (including the MD poll, excluding double votes):

For: 15
Against: 5

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 09-08-08 02:43 PM CT (US)     27 / 54  
Only 5 say no so far? Hm... I do see yalls point now that you POINTED it out. But I still vote no.

EDIT: What is your vote, Aro?

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya

[This message has been edited by Hunnic Paladin (edited 09-08-2008 @ 02:45 PM).]

posted 09-08-08 03:52 PM CT (US)     28 / 54  
I don't see a problem - merge them.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 09-08-08 10:03 PM CT (US)     29 / 54  
It sounds like an interesting concept, but I am against it until we can come up with a way to satisfy SD'ers who dislike modding(like me ), and/or don't like this idea. Some designers see modding as a form of cheating that violates the sacredness of Scenario Design (i just don't want to waste my time installing/uninstalling files all the time ), so we need to have something for all parties to like, before we go ahead with this.

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

"I wish I knew what Yoshi's doing on the roof, especially in winter." ~Sissi
"Yoshi lived up to his name and split into 100000." ~Rocking Doom
posted 09-08-08 10:13 PM CT (US)     30 / 54  
It sounds like an interesting concept, but I am against it until we can come up with a way to satisfy SD'ers who dislike modding(like me ), and/or don't like this idea. Some designers see modding as a form of cheating that violates the sacredness of Scenario Design (i just don't want to waste my time installing/uninstalling files all the time ), so we need to have something for all parties to like, before we go ahead with this.
Easy...don't post or participate in modding threads.
posted 09-08-08 11:59 PM CT (US)     31 / 54  
Hi folks,

I'm in favour of merging the two forums.

Cheers,

Dave.

Don't post if you haven't checked this thread.
I am a card-carrying Tsunami Studios member. | Macbeth | Install Script Tutorial | Nineteen Years... | Put a timer in your scenario!
Piece By Piece (2) Progress Bar: | █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ | Download it now!
posted 09-09-08 01:07 AM CT (US)     32 / 54  
posted 09-09-08 02:01 AM CT (US)     33 / 54  
No
posted 09-09-08 02:23 AM CT (US)     34 / 54  
Easy...don't post or participate in modding threads.
That's not going to leave him a whole lot he can participate in, you know?

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 09-09-08 05:37 AM CT (US)     35 / 54  
Yes, merge them. If that had been done two years ago my mod might still be popular, but because at that time the forums were separated my thread sank like a ship with holes in it.

uh, something isn't right here... anyway, my World War 3 Mod for AOKTC can be downloaded at www.box.net/shared/bvrxatdsoj but the remainder of my signature seems to be gone for good...
let's see whether I can make my campaigns visible here (they only work with my mod) http://www.box.net/shared/48xmrzdu94 http://www.box.net/shared/xl9rtl5k17well, it seems to work!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » POLL: Combining SD and MPD
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames