You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 105  Next Page »
posted 02 June 2010 06:32 PM EDT (US)   

Confused? Encountered a problem in the game?
Ask your question here and we can help!

This is the question thread! A testament to the continuing aspirations of scenario designers and the rest of the active community. In order to save the forum from needless clutter, please post all questions in this thread rather than making your own threads. Don't be shy!

A Brief FAQ

• Please help me, I can't find where the games files on my computer are for downloading stuff to put in them, editing them, and getting my scenario and recorded game files.
    There are two paths for the Age of Mythology folders and files.
    (Documents-->My Games-->Age of Mythology) and (My Computer-->C: Drive-->Program Files-->Microsoft Games-->Age of Mythology)

• Every time I playtest my map, it just ends after like 5 seconds and says I won or lost!
    This is an extremely common problem for newer people. Go in the editor, and go to edit, scenario data, and then click the box next to Victory Conditions to turn it off.

• I started a new map, and now there is some sort of infinite land showing at the edges of the map, and it is making it extremely laggy!
    Select this link to see how to fix the problem.

• In triggers that have the protounit lists, most of the units have different names! This is extremely confusing, and I can't find the protounit list name for a unit.
    Select the unit you want to know the protounit name of, and press ALT+A. Or go to the cinematics menu in the editor, and select animations. The protounit name of the selected unit is in the black bar at the top of the animations window.

• How do you change a units size and rotate it in the editor?
    Press K on your keyboard to make objects bigger, and shift + K to make objects smaller (TT only). To rotate a unit, press Ctrl + an arrow key to move it around in different positions.

• How do I change a units stats for a scenario?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect in a trigger (TT only). For AoM (Vanilla), you can use the effect Set Tech Status, and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, and you can grant any number of a technology to keep changing stats.

• How do I change the position of the camera in the editor?
    First you need to unlock the camera, press Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angle of pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down.

• Why doesn't the computer do anything in the map I made?
    Your computer opponent needs an AI to operate. Go to 'Players' in the editor and on the slot for your opponent, go all the way to the right and select AI, and choose aomdefaultai.xs (for AoM Vanilla), or aomxdefaultai.xs (for AoM: The Titans). You can also use triggers to make your opponent attack you. Commonly used are Army triggers to make units for the computer to use against you.

• I want to be able to have more units than the game allows, how can I have over 300 population?
    1. Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999. Make sure that it is a protounit that you cant normally get ingame by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.
    2. Use the Modify Protounit effect to modify every protounit that you would be able to have ingame and use to play with. Change each of those protounits to have a population cost of zero, 0.

• How do I make units regenerate?
    Use the effect damage unit or damage unit percent, and put in a negative number.

• Help! My triggers have stopped working!
    Using run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit effect this. If you are unsure about what is the source, outline what you did, and we can help.

• Army deploy doesn't work online but its fine when I Playtest!
    It doesn't work for computers. Deploy the army as player 1, and then use army convert to your desired player. There are many other triggers that work only for single player mode, aka not online. Ask around if you are uncertain or need help with online scenarios.

• Why can't I modify the attack of some units?
    You can't change the attack of some units, because they use a special attack to fight with. The units are, ManoWar, Son of Osiris, Son of Oriris XP, Petsuchos, and Circe.

• Is there a way to change Mother Nature's (Player 0) color, name, and god?
    Yes there is! A utility has been created to do so, CLICK HERE to get it.

• Who is the best pony ever?
    Obviously it's Rainbow Dash, you foal.

• meh, you can give the thread to Lew

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 11-19-2011 @ 02:04 PM).]

Author
    Replies:
    CharlieDog
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 09:01 AM EDT (US)     201 / 2621  
    @Veldo
    I'm not sure I really understood the question. But only random maps can be recorded, if you are looking to make a trailer, most people used Fraps or other similar sites.
    Elrich
    Hero
    posted 18 June 2010 10:21 AM EDT (US)     202 / 2621  
    I have to laugh. I can't believe that page with Daedra got so many responses. Sorry to spam here, but Yeeb closed off the thread before I could have my final say. Again, I posted more for humor than out of actual anger. When I found that kid giving the finger picture, I just couldn't stop myself.

@Daedra: I apologize for the humor at your expense and I do respect you for sticking through it and staying. Seniority (whether account sign up-based or birth-based) isn't an excuse to abuse people and I don't exempt myself from this. You are on the best game forum here at Heavengames where you will find answers, inspiration and opportunity to do great things, so I hope you stay and see how we truly are here at S & D*

* this is in no way an endorsement of the treatment you will get at any other site here at Heavengamestm - especially OD.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    lostrozzacavalli
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 12:47 PM EDT (US)     203 / 2621  
    @Elrich: I've just found out a very little flaw in this trigger:

<Effect name="EL IN Unit Heading Into QV">
    <Param name="DstObject" dispName="Select Unit" varType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="qvname" dispName="QV name to store heading" varType="string">QV1</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("uhiq%DstObject%newx", xsVectorGetX(kbGetBlockPosition("%DstObject%")));</Command>
    <Command>if(trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%oldx") > trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%newx")) trQuestVarSet("%qvname%",360.0 - trUnitGetHeading("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>else if(trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%newx") > trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%oldx")) trQuestVarSet("%qvname%",trUnitGetHeading("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("uhiq%DstObject%oldx",trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%newx"));</Command>
    </Effect>

It should be:

<Effect name="EL IN Unit Heading Into QV">
    <Param name="DstObject" dispName="Select Unit" varType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="qvname" dispName="QV name to store heading" varType="string">QV1</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("uhiq%DstObject%newx", xsVectorGetX(kbGetBlockPosition("%DstObject%")));</Command>
    <Command>if(trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%oldx") > trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%newx")) trQuestVarSet("%qvname%",360.0 - trUnitGetHeading("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>else trQuestVarSet("%qvname%",trUnitGetHeading("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("uhiq%DstObject%oldx",trQuestVarGet("uhiq%DstObject%newx"));</Command>
    </Effect>

Otherwise, if you set a different QV and the object is at the same X position, the QV wouldn't be set at all!

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    Immortal_Shade
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 01:57 PM EDT (US)     204 / 2621  
    Hey all
    Does anyone know the most accurate kill counter? qv preferably. The current one i am using just doesnt seem to count kills quickly enough.
    thanks in advance =)

Huns design team -_-
    dunno if its still alive or not ='_'=
    perpetual_n00b
    Immortal
    posted 18 June 2010 02:29 PM EDT (US)     205 / 2621  
    What sort of kill count set up do you have? Are you just counting or are you giving rewards per kill?

If you're just counting, this is as fast as it gets:

Trigger - Count_Kills
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [_] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Always

Effects
    QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = Kills
    Player = 1
    Stat Type = Units Killed

<Effect name="QV Set Stat Value">
    <Param name="QVName" dispName="Var Name" VarType="string">QV1</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName=" Player" VarType="string">0</Param>
    <Param name="StatID" dispName="$$23856$$Stat Type" VarType="kbstat">0</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("%QVName%", trGetStatValue(%PlayerID%, %StatID%));</Command>
    </Effect>
    Elrich
    Hero
    posted 18 June 2010 03:06 PM EDT (US)     206 / 2621  
    @Lostro: Ah yes, I see now. If it doesn't move horizontally, it doesn't set the QV, so it is possible that the QV had never been initialized to some value if the x value never changed. The question is: is it better to put in the unit heading even though you don't know if it is the proper heading because of the 180 degree problem? or just leave it at zero until it moves horizontally so you can be sure?

Immortal_Shade
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 04:02 PM EDT (US)     207 / 2621  
    @perp, oh...ok well i wasnt quite clear in my question i guess. My (maybe) mistake was that i had a condition "qv stat value" in the trigger you just showed me but I dont rly know why....
    but what my main goal is that I have 2 teams, with 3 players on each team, and I want to add the the players kills together to make a "team kills" value. so what i had was for every kill it modified the kills team 1(or 2) +1, but it was running too slow...

also: i do have the trigger you posted, but i have tried to copy/paste triggers into my typetest.xml before and it doesn't let me, saying the source cannot be found? so i guess taht is another question

Huns design team -_-
    perpetual_n00b
    Immortal
    posted 18 June 2010 04:43 PM EDT (US)     208 / 2621  
    @ Immortal_Shade
    I've expanded the trigger set up to keep track of scores for two teams of three players

Trigger - Count_Kills
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [_] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Always

Effects
    QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P1Kills
    Player = 1
    Stat Type = Units Killed

QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P2Kills
    Player = 2
    Stat Type = Units Killed

QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P3Kills
    Player = 3
    Stat Type = Units Killed

Quest Var Copy
    Var Name = Team1Kills
    From Var = P1Kills

Quest Var Modify 2
    Var Name = Team1Kills
    Operator is +
    Var Name = P2Kills

Quest Var Modify 2
    Var Name = Team1Kills
    Operator is +
    Var Name = P3Kills

QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P4Kills
    Player = 4
    Stat Type = Units Killed

QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P5Kills
    Player = 5
    Stat Type = Units Killed

QV Set Stat Value
    Var Name = P6Kills
    Player = 6
    Stat Type = Units Killed

Quest Var Copy
    Var Name = Team2Kills
    From Var = P4Kills

Quest Var Modify 2
    Var Name = Team2Kills
    Operator is +
    Var Name = P5Kills

Quest Var Modify 2
    Var Name = Team2Kills
    Operator is +
    Var Name = P6Kills

Fake Counter Set Text
    Text = Team 1: "+1*trQuestVarGet("Team1Kills")+" - Team 2: "+1*trQuestVarGet("Team2Kills")

I'm not sure what the copy/paste error you are getting is from. What do you use to open and edit the typetest.xml? I recommend using either Notepad or Notepad++
    Immortal_Shade
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 05:24 PM EDT (US)     209 / 2621  
    Thanks for the help on the Qvs

back to the copy/paste error
    well what i do is go to documents/my games/blah/trigger2/typetest.xml
    then since it is in a web page I right click and say "view source" which opens it in Notepad, I then proceed to paste in the correct spot.

This is where i am lost

note: this is after i copy/pasted and i attempt to save in the notepad....am i supposed to save in notepad?

Huns design team -_-

[This message has been edited by Immortal_Shade (edited 06-18-2010 @ 05:25 PM).]

HailToTheOboe
    Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
    posted 18 June 2010 05:39 PM EDT (US)     210 / 2621  
    Immortal_Shade
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 05:45 PM EDT (US)     211 / 2621  
    Ok, well that was surely an ordeal
    Someone decided they would make it very hard to give "full" permission to a folder

It took around 6 times clicking a different "Edit" button in a new window in order to get to the point i needed.

and yes. it worked

Thanks Htto and Perp

EDIT: another stupid question

Is it possible to show a QV value in either the overlay text or play dialouge? and if so..how?
    found it for overlay text

Huns design team -_-

[This message has been edited by Immortal_Shade (edited 06-18-2010 @ 08:12 PM).]

THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 07:13 PM EDT (US)     212 / 2621  
    Overlay Text probably not, Play Dialog might work considering it doesnt allow "'s which implies it can work with strings and such... I think...

By the way i got a new mouse and can resume work on my silly projects after final exams if anyone cares.
    Elrich
    Hero
    posted 18 June 2010 07:32 PM EDT (US)     213 / 2621  
    I do..go go go!

Immortal_Shade
    Mortal
    posted 18 June 2010 08:30 PM EDT (US)     214 / 2621  
    another question, sorry to be a bother

Is there any known issue of QV set from resource?
    or.. QV overlay text?
    ---- this is in cinemetic mode ----

Just wondering because I am sure it is freezing my game.

after some lengthy short dedutcions....
    ive concluded that "QV set from Resource" seems to be the issue, it cannot be "always loop" while you have "grant recource per stat value set to gold per kill...

NEW QUESTION:
    Ok so this is another QV question
    currently i am working on a system that tracks a players Kills
    is it possible to modify that number?

figuring it all out lol sorry people

Huns design team -_-

[This message has been edited by Immortal_Shade (edited 06-18-2010 @ 09:27 PM).]

WinstonShnozwick
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 08:08 AM EDT (US)     215 / 2621  
    THYMOLE YOU WILL PLAYTEST FIRST THEN RESUME THE PROJECTS!!!!!

edit: Yeah, I looked forward to minigames from you, and other stuff. Keep at it .

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 06-19-2010 @ 08:09 AM).]

THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 08:45 AM EDT (US)     216 / 2621  
    lostrozzacavalli
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 10:04 AM EDT (US)     217 / 2621  
    @Lostro: Ah yes, I see now. If it doesn't move horizontally, it doesn't set the QV, so it is possible that the QV had never been initialized to some value if the x value never changed. The question is: is it better to put in the unit heading even though you don't know if it is the proper heading because of the 180 degree problem? or just leave it at zero until it moves horizontally so you can be sure?
    From my tests it seems ok at all; I guess that 180 degrees problem only happens if the unit is at a lower X position than before, but not equal.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    fight_to_plight
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 05:10 PM EDT (US)     218 / 2621  
    Is there anyway to change the directory of a screenshot taken ingame? Can't seem to find the folder they save too, and its not the screenshots folder in my documents or in program files.

Meh
    THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 05:20 PM EDT (US)     219 / 2621  
    You could take a print screen instead

ctrl prnt-scrn and then paste into paint
    DaedricSparta
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 05:32 PM EDT (US)     220 / 2621  
    Elder Scrolls Project NEEDs one more strict, dedicated playtester.
    I need one so I can hurry up on the design and progrss of the project which will likely take over a year to finish.
    Who wants it?
    I ,once again, need somebody really strict to tell me what I need to work on, add, what im successing in, etc.

Its an massive Open Environment RPG btw for thsoe who do not know, but the first 2 scenarios will be played as a child and the first scenario isn't much of an 'open environment at all' and being the smallest of the maps (300x300). I have only completed a (Remastered) beta version of the first Scenario 'A New Begining' played in Valenwood.
    Thanks in advance.

Currently Designing Elder Scrolls Project (ESP) 12% Complete
    1000+ character combinations,Vast Open World Environments,Twisting Story,All on the AOM engine.
    Release date is unknown.Small breaks are being taken to prevent loss of interest due to overwhelming designing.
    Veldo777
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 06:07 PM EDT (US)     221 / 2621  
    I guess I'll playtest.
    generalullar@yahoo.com

Now on to my questions:
    1. Can the special Vortex power (lifting offscreen and being placed back down) be used without using the actual God Power?
    2. Is there a way to reduce the load times of Atlantean God Powers (the time between invoking one and invoking another), without modding?

Current scenarios working on:
    104th SOAP, Plants vs. Zombies (paused), Sovothym RPG
    Scenario guarantee: I will NEVER include foul language in my games. AoM is a T rated game, for violence. Let's keep it that way.
    DaedricSparta
    Mortal
    posted 19 June 2010 06:15 PM EDT (US)     222 / 2621  
    Thanks Veldo, ill be sending you the info and scenario ASAP. And I would also like to know his #2 question.

EDIT: The messages and files are sent Veldo. Hope to recieve your review soon. :-).

1000+ character combinations,Vast Open World Environments,Twisting Story,All on the AOM engine.
    Release date is unknown.Small breaks are being taken to prevent loss of interest due to overwhelming designing.

[This message has been edited by DaedricSparta (edited 06-19-2010 @ 06:30 PM).]

Immortal_Anubite
    Mortal
    posted 20 June 2010 00:46 AM EDT (US)     223 / 2621  
    Hey Guys... Anyone know if you can do hotkeys that work online that would use god powers...

Example: I press the key Q and uses/toggles god power in slot 1..

Anyone know if you can do that..?

Immortal_Anubite -Pholax Cynopolis- A 9' tall Immortal beast that feeds off of human flesh!!
    DaedricSparta
    Mortal
    posted 20 June 2010 00:53 AM EDT (US)     224 / 2621  
    @Elrich
    Actually, you think you could go over my work as a playtester? I would like to have a good expierienced person to go over my work and tell me what needs work. You interested?

HailToTheOboe
    Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
    posted 20 June 2010 01:50 AM EDT (US)     225 / 2621  
    Hey Guys... Anyone know if you can do hotkeys that work online that would use god powers...

Example: I press the key Q and uses/toggles god power in slot 1..

Anyone know if you can do that..?
    Yeah, you can do that.

It's just like hotkeying any other trigger online.

This thread has some info.

You can also hotkey using GPs directly using the game commands, but you can't grant them.

For example, I've got these in my game.con
    //Godpowers
    map("F1","game","uiSetSpecialPower(129); uiSpecialPowerAtPointer; ") //ancestors
    map("F2","game","uiSetSpecialPower(215); uiSpecialPowerAtPointer;") //eclipse
    You just have to look up the GP ids.
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 105  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it Here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames