Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Feedback requested on new game idea
posted 04-26-08 00:23 AM EDT (US)   
I’ve noticed lately that my turn logs have become somewhat mundane. That’s too bad, cuz I really enjoy a well written, RPG-style turn log.

And then I had a thought…

How about organizing a game where role-playing and story writing via turn logs are part of the game?

I’ve got lots of ideas. Should be a random map (tweaked by a neutral party, of course) so that we aren’t encumbered by a pre-existing story. I’m thinking an epic size map with allied victory on (so diplomacy can range free, as nature intended). Maybe start with pioneer, so that the storyline could be “4 wizards journey to a new land to build empires… etc”, and thus avoiding having to mesh multiple personalized backstories with a single local setting.

We could write up wiz descriptions, along with skill/sphere/race picks and send these via email to the map creator, to personalize it. Then we unleash our creativity, turning simple battles for windmills and spirit quests into fantasy literature. Participants would be encouraged to take notes of their exploits, and to take their time sending the turn and logging, avoiding ‘TS’ as much as possible. Continuity could also be encouraged. I know this one game I’m in with Fubarno, he has a running storyline involving his mother, and its amusing to see how it develops as the game progresses.

For mapmakers, this could be a good exercise in storyline creativity, and for community members, it could be an interesting read when there’s no new posts for your own games. I often find myself browsing logs I’m not in if I don’t find any of my games have new posts, but I still want to procrastinate. I was always impressed by the fact that the original Dragonlance chronicles was developed from a role playing game. Maybe we can achieve the same greatness? Ha!

I even had this crazy idea that the community could give feedback on the turn logs in a separate thread, rating the logs, and that writing good logs could be as much of a contest as winning the map.

Whadda people think? Good idea, or am I out to lunch?

James.

Replies:
posted 04-26-08 00:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 33  
Love it! It's great to have a group where making a cool story is at least as important as winning!

I do think a good mapmaker can keep the story open and provide the map with some more memorable areas than the RMG can produce, though. Sometimes I find, the terrain can be very inspiring to stories.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 04-26-08 03:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 33  
I like the general concept too James.

I enjoy well role-played games, but they are few and far-between. Most people seem to be a little burned out. (I am too at times) I must admit I fall back on the old cliches unless everybody else gets into it.

I wouldn't mind starting such a game myself. I would have a few preferences though:

- Use a hand-painted map, or at least a somewhat modified random map.
- Start as pioneer is cool, but in this case, 4 players MAX. Or else the game is just too slow moving to get into it.
- I would use a large map with an underground but no bigger, or else it is too long before we interact. Pacing is crucial.

For the outside observers, maybe we could appoint a jury of 3? They could award style points, or maybe penalize a lazy poster?
posted 04-26-08 09:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 33  
I like this idea as well. Although my experience with roll playing is limited and my English is rather limited I think this could be fun. I do agree with fromage thoigh. The game should have a high pace. If not getting bored is a serious option. I notice in many games I play that the beginning is really cool and exciting but when the game goes on you begin to loose interest. an high game pace could avoid that.
posted 04-26-08 11:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 33  
Excellent idea. There are some old games where veteran players like Swolte and King David were involved with that " role-playing and story writing" present though the entire game.
I used to read these threads as they were evolving, although I was not a participant in them. I searched the forum looking for those games to post a link here but could not find them.

I still open other players threads to read their posts, and there are a few good writers in here

It would be great to have that kind of games back.
posted 04-27-08 00:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 33  
I like it as well. Since I am the 5th I'll be a judge.
posted 04-27-08 00:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 33  
Good feedback. I agree with the criticisms of random maps, they have no geographical logic.

I was just worried that a custom map would bring too much baggage that would have people more or less following a script, rather than inventing one themselves. but i believe there are maps out there that have a good design but little in the way of story, so that we could be free to make our own.

does anyone have any suggestions for such a map? the pioneer thing i suggested just for a random map. if we use a pre-made one then i'm fine with starting with whatever the existing conditions are.

I agree that the players should be sorta minimal and map not too big, and i find maps with 4-5 players on 2 level, med-large to have the best pace.

what about the idea of customized wizards, incl. descriptions? could give us a strong grounding to base character developments on. on the other hand, using a pre-existing map with custom wizards could screw up the balance big time.

i think we should have a mixture of evil, neutral and good wizards, and people should stick to their alignments. this is a problem i have. i love playing evil races, but i turn out to be a real peacenik.

but i'm confused as to how many players we have here. i'd like to play myself (i have delusions of being an amateur fantasy writer), can i assume that the first 4 replies were indications of wanting to be in on this? or do some of those people want to be judges?

posted 04-27-08 06:56 AM EDT (US)     7 / 33  
can i assume that the first 4 replies were indications of wanting to be in on this?
Well, I would be glad to help you with map customization, judging if necessary and, of course, reading!
Not as a player, I just don't trust my english to be good enough to write stories.

Edit: I think all your ideas are great: custom wizards with descriptions made by each player, pioneer start, etc. Don't forget Heroes, they can become just as important as wizards in fantasy tales.

Edit: These maps could be used for your game (with some modifications). You may want to check them out:
  • Beneath the Ice Blue Sky by Needles.
  • Wintergarden (with some modifications to get the underground open)
  • and This Land is my Land by King David.
  • Promising Land (can't remember the author)
  • First Conflict
  • The Last Valley
  • Horseshoe Bend Falls by Bigben34
  • Alpine Alliance II (the modified version).
  • Fallen Reign (with fewer wizards and starting units).

[This message has been edited by Unnapu (edited 04-27-2008 @ 07:46 AM).]

• posted 04-28-08 00:07 AM EDT (US)     8 / 33  
    Great idea, I love it! And I want to be in the first game launch.

Sapphoenix is losing every single PBEM (almost!), but loving it!
    posted 04-28-08 03:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 33  
    If there is place I would love to be in the game as well. I'll be on holiday from the 30th of april to the 5th of may.
    posted 04-28-08 04:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 33  
    I found this also a very good idea, but I'm afraid my english will be not good enough for this. Maybe in a later game, when I've managed to get better and more practise.

@Unnapu
    You underestimate your skills in english writing. In my opinion you are very good in english language.
    posted 05-01-08 02:05 AM EDT (US)     11 / 33  
    OK. Been doin' some thinkin' on this. Looked over the maps suggested by Unnapu (thanks). I like the look of 'This Land is My Land'. seems to fit my idea of wizards coming to a new land rather than having preset histories with that land. this way, if people choose, they could write their own histories for the wizards. so if noone has any objections, i am gonna propose we move forward with this map.

some issues with the map for modification:

there is an AI wiz, and judging by a turn log i read of this game, coupled with what i know of King David's maps, i suspect he will be a tough mutha. therefore, i think the idea of starting with pioneers should be scrapped, at least for this map.

the map has spaces for 6 human wizards. at present we have 5 people expressing an interest in playing (I think Swolte was just commenting on the idea rather than signing up).

Myself
    Fromage
    Thundaar
    Rheno
    Sapphoenix

I agree that the number of players should be limited to keep the speed and interest high. I think we could have a reasonable pace at 5 wizards. so we'd have to have the 6th elminated or something. unless people want to either cut it down to 4 or advertise for a sixth, then this could pose a potential balance issue, since it would make the map lopsided. some wizards would have access to a 'free area'. this leads to my next thought...

modifying the map, especially in eliminating a wizard and choosing different races, will undoubtedly screw up the balance. of course, careful modification can fix this, but since i'd like to get started soon, i don't want to make this a long process of changing the map. i personally am not overly concerned with balance, within reasonable limits of course, since winning is to only be part of the game.

i think people should be totally free to choose their own race/sphere and description, but that we should email these directly to the person modifying the map, so that when we achieve diplomatic contact, it will be a real surprise. perhaps there will be two orc clans, or two tribes of elves each contending for these lands? perhaps we should only identify whether we're planning on playing as evil, neutral or good races, since i think storytelling would be more epic with a clash of ideologies.

thanks Unnapu, for volunteering to be our modifier. i suspect that some of the events may need to be modified as well to fit custom wizards into this map. i wonder if its worth consulting King David about this?

everyone else interested should start thinking about their wizards - who they command, what magic they practice, and what history has led them here.

and we'll need a couple more judges for the logs.

lets see, does that cover everything? by gods, i hope so, cuz my fingers are tired!

posted 05-01-08 03:51 AM EDT (US)     12 / 33  
    slightly off-topic, but I had been thinking about starting an epic experience, kingdom-built-from scratch game myself lately, and having the turn logs really about creating a story. This kind of game could take YEARS to play out, so people would have to be quite dedicated.

if there is interest, I would start working on a map, and probably have it finished in about a month. it would be XL with an underground (and possibly the most basic of shadow realm), wizards would start with a few pioneers, and have a big, wild world to explore, shape and conquer. I would also try to make sure that each player had stuff to do on their turns, until they start interacting with each other. # of wizards depends on the # of players that have serious interest, although with over 4 wizards, I may be inclined to have half of them start fairly close, and let 'survival of the fittest' shape the game from its infancy.

I also have some older maps I had started but never finished that have alot of this basic concept, but are medium &/or large in size. I could work these over if people are intertested.

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
    'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
    posted 05-01-08 06:48 AM EDT (US)     13 / 33  
    @JamesEde

I'm not personally too keen in playing This Land is my Land as you intend it. If you want to start a PBeM game on This Land is my Land and emphasize storytelling, then I'm all for it. But I wouldn't attempt to customize that map too much, it is a very much "designed" map by King David, one of the best ones around here.

I would go either with TLIML "au naturel" or go from scratch with a pioneer-style raw map.

@Greenmonster

Sounds like a lot of fun, but are you suggesting creating the map and then organizing the game for others, or including yourself as one of the players? If you are playing this would mean no blind playing.
    posted 05-01-08 11:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 33  
    If greenmonster is making a map to play blind sign me up and I'll try to wieve a tale of woe, for my opponents.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
    Download these maps I have made...
    Destiny of Rivals
    Valley of Turmoil
    High Passes
    Minions of Gruumsh
    posted 05-01-08 01:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 33  
    Heh, when I started reading this thread, I thought "This Land is My Land" so I'm glad to see it come up as a possibility

I have plans to update the map for version 1.5, but that is still a ways off. Pioneers "off" is a good idea, though it might favor whoever gets the Animate Ruins spell. This map tends to see a fair amount of razing in PBEM.

The starting AI Wizard (The King) isn't very tough and was never meant to be. He was intended more as a distraction than anything else. In fact, I think I would add a little to his starting strength (perhaps a hero stack immediately invading each human wizard's lands or somesuch).

I don't think I'll have the time over the next few days to do much work on the map, but I could modify the King's starting troops a bit. I could use help with adding some of the v1.4 structures, though, as I definitely wouldn't have time to do that. If Unnapu wants to help out there (or someone else), that would be great. It wouldn't be a complete revision of the map or anything, just getting some of the new structures in. The v1.5 version will be a major reworking of the map.

EDIT: GM, by all means count me in for the epic

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
    Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

[This message has been edited by King David (edited 05-01-2008 @ 01:22 PM).]

posted 05-01-08 02:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 33  
    GM, if you do start the epic, count me in if there is room

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
    War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
    My Dragon Age development blog
    posted 05-01-08 06:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 33  
    GM, count me in too please, if there is room!

I would like to start a story map, however I am not sure if I like the idea of judges. I always find that the stories either come or not. Being with a group of people who enjoy this aspect and allow you to 'feed' off each other is usually the best one can do, imo!

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
    Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
    Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
    posted 05-02-08 02:22 AM EDT (US)     18 / 33  
    Wow, so many directions has this taken.

@Fromage: In terms of the suitability of 'THis land' to modification, some folks played a three player game on it and it didn't seem to bad from the logs. of course, that was not as drastic as the changes i propose...

i wouldn't wanna play with the existing wizards though, cuz for me, part of the excitement was the idea that i could create my own unique wizard, and role play off of it. not that King David's wizards in TLIML aren't good (though i haven't played the map), just that i feel i'd be reading a script.

i don't think pioneers would work unless the map is designed for a pioneer start, ala the project Greenmonster is proposing. on the other hand, if Greenmonster has some maps that could be modified to play in a pioneer-start, perhaps we could play on one of those.

the map isn't so important to me, i just don't know many maps cuz i only play PBEM. just give me roughly balance starting conditions and beautiful landscape, and i'll be happy. Unnapu sent a modified version of 'Promising Land' to me, that he proposes to use for this RPG game. It looks pretty good, though its not Upatch. I'd be up to playing on it.

@Unnapu: sorry, all i can do is take a look at it in the editor. not enough time to play 40-50 turns in single player (that's why i play PBEM - max 5 turns a night!) but i trust yours and others judgement.

@Greenmonster: That sounds like an exciting idea, exactly what i had i mind myself. I think though it should be designed for only about 4 players, for the sake of speed. if more people wanna play, why not just start multiple games? Personally, i would love to play, but the idea of playing against Swolte and Timelord in a "survival of the fittest" starting position leads me to believe that my role-playing would at best involve a highly detailed description of my early demise. how bout a second game for players below the rank of champion/former champion?

EDIT: forgot to reply to Swolte's comment: yeah, judges could stifle creativity, so let's cut that.

[This message has been edited by JamesEde (edited 05-02-2008 @ 02:30 AM).]

posted 05-02-08 01:53 PM EDT (US)     19 / 33  
    let's start multiple games so all can play. I am not familiar with any of the proposed maps but I think it is more fun that way.
    posted 05-02-08 02:21 PM EDT (US)     20 / 33  
    @Fromage: In terms of the suitability of 'THis land' to modification, some folks played a three player game on it and it didn't seem to bad from the logs. of course, that was not as drastic as the changes i propose...

i wouldn't wanna play with the existing wizards though, cuz for me, part of the excitement was the idea that i could create my own unique wizard, and role play off of it. not that King David's wizards in TLIML aren't good (though i haven't played the map), just that i feel i'd be reading a script.

i don't think pioneers would work unless the map is designed for a pioneer start, ala the project Greenmonster is proposing. on the other hand, if Greenmonster has some maps that could be modified to play in a pioneer-start, perhaps we could play on one of those.

the map isn't so important to me, i just don't know many maps cuz i only play PBEM. just give me roughly balance starting conditions and beautiful landscape, and i'll be happy. Unnapu sent a modified version of 'Promising Land' to me, that he proposes to use for this RPG game. It looks pretty good, though its not Upatch. I'd be up to playing on it.
    @James: No problem either way. This is your initiative. I suppose I am more enamored of the settler epic story idea. The most important part is playing with other players who are likewise interested in lively role-playing and quality writing, at a good pace. The rest is details.

@GM: Just to be clear regarding my earlier reply, if your idea ever gets going, definitely count me in.
    posted 05-02-08 02:54 PM EDT (US)     21 / 33  
    how bout a second game for players below the rank of champion/former champion?
    If there will be such a game from GM, then count me in too please.
    posted 05-02-08 03:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 33  
    I can feel the love

I'm starting to kick a few ideas around in my head, but there is alot to consider.
    It seems that people have alot of different 'wants', with the only common theme being 'empire building'.

I personally feel that having some sort of background story (for example, a reason why the wizard is exploring) is greatly beneficial to those who want to role play or write a story. If left with a completely blank canvas, sometimes its hard to get a good start, or a good feel for the character. I believe that one of the things said was that 'races/alignments should act like that race/alignment'... for example, playing the shadow demons as peace keepers is silly. I think a story helps solidify 'proper' role-playing.

I think as a solution, I will ask everyone who is interested to submit me a little write up (if you want to - I'll be making some maps anyway). Tell me what race/wiz skills/spheres you want (or if you don't care), as well as a small story about your wizard (why they are exploring, personal background, etc...), AND how you would rank yourself as a player (scale of 1-10), map size preferences, # of players preferences, prefer AI wizards included or not, and anything else you feel is pertainant.
    Please send these to
    aow_pbem_pass@hotmail.com
    (yeah, I'm a password keeper too.... something I HIGHLY recommend everyone to take advantage of in a game of this magnitude/duration!)

I will try to sort what I get to do some custom maps. I'll try, but I won't guarantee that I'll use what you give me... Once ideas start flowing, I may take liberties with the submissions, and may need to tweak/change things for balance.

Also, I think I'll start with a medium or large sized map (if there is demand), just to see how well this all works out. I've got 3 or 4 old maps I started that never got too far that I think may be good starting points. Not strictly 'empire builder' per se, but more 'empire building with a starting foothold, and some background story'

GMMod for AoW2

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 05-02-2008 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 05-02-08 06:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 33  
    I will ask everyone who is interested to submit me a little write up (if you want to - I'll be making some maps anyway). Tell me what race/wiz skills/spheres you want (or if you don't care), as well as a small story about your wizard (why they are exploring, personal background, etc...), AND how you would rank yourself as a player (scale of 1-10), map size preferences, # of players preferences, prefer AI wizards included or not, and anything else you feel is pertainant.
    Sounds good! I assume if I/we can provide a complete Wizard portrait (ready for importation) you will consider it?

Sent email.

Don't care much about the setting, though if its more than 4 players, I would prefer people who we know are reliable and fast with turns.

posted 05-03-08 01:21 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33  
    Sounds good! I assume if I/we can provide a complete Wizard portrait (ready for importation) you will consider it?
    yep, I'll use it unless I decide against using the race for map reasons (ie., don't want reapers screwing up the landscape and I get a skeleton wizard, etc...)

I also will try to make the best player matchups I can.
    Swolte, you'll be in with the "expert/reliable" group.

GMMod for AoW2
    posted 05-03-08 06:47 PM EDT (US)     25 / 33  
    Many interesting posts since my last reading. Let's see...
    You underestimate your skills in english writing. In my opinion you are very good in english language.
    Thank you. Every time I open the AOWHeaven Forums page, I also open these:
    http://dico.isc.cnrs.fr/dico/en/search
    http://www.wordreference.com/
    If Unnapu wants to help out there (or someone else), that would be great. It wouldn't be a complete revision of the map or anything, just getting some of the new structures in. The v1.5 version will be a major reworking of the map.
    Sure, I will be honor to. If you are going to update the map, even if it is for this match or a future one, I'll be glad to help. It is a great map, I wish you may consider to make a 3 players' version.
    Unnapu sent a modified version of 'Promising Land' to me, that he proposes to use for this RPG game. It looks pretty good, though its not Upatch. I'd be up to playing on it.
    Nice, I will be playing the map on single player tonight to check if the playability is 'Ok'. If you are going to use this map with the players that originally signed up for your RPG game, I guess they would like to see the map before the game begin. So, to those players, I'll be glad to send the map, just ask for it . The map, as it is now, has six open positions.
    As James said, the map is not Upath 1.4, so, it is ok if you decide to go other way

@James, If your game gets started and you need one more player, please count me in.

@Greenmonster, please count me in for one game, perhaps in the "unflinching/reliable" group. .
    I will be sending you the email with the information requested this weekend.

(I did not want to join more games, but the Emperor Wizards of Athendore just gave some time off by kicking me out their land )
    posted 05-05-08 07:26 PM EDT (US)     26 / 33  
    *update*

so, I've been reworking an old map, and I'm pretty far along in the process.

currently, its a 4 player, small (w. underground), 'empire builder' (well, 1 wizard starts with an established town).

I chose a small map (despite how odd it seems to have a small map be an empire builder), because I could get it done quickly, and it would give people a good feel to see if this is something they would like, before I invest a ton of time making an XL map.

Wizards, spheres, skills, and races are pre-set, and I think its best for them to stay that way. Not only is it good for balance and gameplay, but I feel it gives players a starting point for their tales. Currently, the wizards are:

dwarves - earth - merchant/constructor
    orcs - fire (? - may change) - war mage/conqueror
    frostlings - water - explorer/expander/decadence
    dracos - air - scholar/channeller/summoner/bureaucrat

all wizards are also 'anarchists', as this helps a small map play larger.

Now, here is where I'd like some help/feedback/playtesters.
    I'm considering making this a 6 wizard map, adding elves or archons (leaning elves), and goblins. Utilizing the underground should make this work pretty well, and it opens up many more possibilities for team based games. The drawback of course is that turns will move slower. I anticipate the turns moving quickly enough, since its a small map, but there is no way to know until we try.

The 4 player version is close to being 'Beta' ready. It needs some play testing and tweaking, and attention in the underground. The 6 player version would not take much longer after the 4 player is 'beta-finished', although it would need a detailed and improved underground in order to work. Both will be finished enough for players to be able to enjoy a fun game, and be able to use it as their role-playing/story creating experience.

Who would like to try the 4 player, the 6 player, or both (either at the same time as the same race, or after the first game is done/long under way)?
    Respond here (sorry to hijack the thread ), with race preferance (if any), and I'll try to match games up with player levels & desired race, if possible.

****UPDATE****

I've moved the sign up to here:
    http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,3784,0,60
    so I can stop hijacking this thread.

GMMod for AoW2

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 05-06-2008 @ 05:56 AM).]

posted 05-05-08 07:58 PM EDT (US)     27 / 33  
    Count me in for any and all as needed Greenmonster. Sounds great to me. I wonder how crowded having 6 players on one small map will feel, but we'll see.

Frostlings (at least for the first game) please.

[This message has been edited by fromage67 (edited 05-05-2008 @ 07:59 PM).]

posted 05-05-08 08:08 PM EDT (US)     28 / 33  
    I'd like to be in the 4-player now and later on in the 6-player (want to play different races).

For the 4-player, race preference in order is - Dwarves, Orcs, Dracos, Frosties.

Thanks!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
    War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
    My Dragon Age development blog
    posted 05-05-08 09:04 PM EDT (US)     29 / 33  
    I would be happy to participate if my inexperience is not a liability to the project.

Sapphoenix is losing every single PBEM (almost!), but loving it!
    posted 05-06-08 01:44 AM EDT (US)     30 / 33  
    Four player now and six player later, thanks.

Orcs, frostlings, dracos, dwarves are my order of preferences.

Do I need to make any story elements such as wiz description, intro, etc...?

rutbeer at earthlink dot net

(GM, i added your email to pass through my filter. Thanks for taking the time to do the extra message.)

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
    Download these maps I have made...
    Destiny of Rivals
    Valley of Turmoil
    High Passes
    Minions of Gruumsh
    posted 05-06-08 04:37 AM EDT (US)     31 / 33  
    I would like to take a seat in the 6 player game then, if possible.

Dwarves are my first choice if viable.
    posted 05-06-08 04:39 AM EDT (US)     32 / 33  
    Do I need to make any story elements such as wiz description, intro, etc...?
    nope, for this map, all the wizard stuff is good to go.
    Their descriptions are left blank so players can make their own story in game.
    Their skills and spheres have been picked to fit what I feel they need to be for gameplay, and/or to give players a starting point for their stories.
    There will be some scripts that give players some background story, but I'm trying to keep even those open-ended enough so that players can twist them to fit any stories they create. (In the XL Epic map especially, there may also be stuff, like in real life, that the player may encounter, which may throw a wrench into their preconceived story lines. Epic maps call for Epic events. )

When I go to do the XL Epic map, I will use the 'best' 4(?) descriptions I get and make the map. Other descriptions will probably be used for heroes (with some modifications possibly). Swolte definitly has 1 of the wizard description spots locked up already, since his gave me some cool ideas to use on the map. Fromage also gave me a very nice description, which, oddly enough, other then the name was pretty much the same exact wizard I had already made for this current map I'm working on ("The Golden Ring", which was started in may of 2003! My god, its been a LONG time since I've worked on a map.

The stories I get may also inspire me to do more cool stuff with the map, and the longer the stuff marinades in my imagination, the better; so keep 'em coming!

GMMod for AoW2
    posted 05-06-08 05:55 AM EDT (US)     33 / 33  
    I've moved the sign up to here:
    http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,3784,0,60
    so I can stop hijacking this thread.

thx for the interest everyone, and for putting up with my long-winded posts!

GMMod for AoW2
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Feedback requested on new game idea
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames