Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: EPIC Terrains Mod
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
posted 16 November 2009 09:39 PM EDT (US)   

• TERRAINS -- 100% complete.
  • ALL OTHER ITEMS -- 65% complete.

E P I C - T E X T U R E S - M O D

by
    Mythos_Ruler -- Textures, Script Editing
    Tasev -- Scripting
    EmjeR -- Models, Script Editing
    Leto II -- Textures
    RF_Gandalf -- Random Map Scripting
    Brighty -- Miscellaneous

CHRISTMAS BETA TEXTURE RELEASE:

(download here!)

• Released 24 December 2009

by Mythos_Ruler
    mythgamer@aim.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ABOUT
    I have replaced 95% of the terrain textures in the game with updated high-quality textures. Not only that, but will also update the look of the Greek and Egyptian units, as well as include some other goodies. These are 100% compatible with multiplayer and single player alike and will NOT cause sync issues!

SCREENSHOTS

TERRAIN TEXTURE THUMBNAILS

OLD vs. NEW

EGYPTIAN UNITS

GREEK UNITS

DESERT

SAVANNA

FARM TWEAK

SHORELINES

GRASS

ROADS & CITYTILES

MARSH

OLYMPUS

HADES

SNOW & ICE

WINDOWS INSTALLER

1.) Open Zip file.

2.) Double-Click the EPIC Textures Mod.exe and follow instructions.

3.) ???

4.) Profit!

The new textures will automatically show up in both the game and in the scenario editor. They will replace the existing assets.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    AOMH forum thread here:
    http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,28263,,20

If any of the textures do not work, then please make a note of it in the download talkback.

This is an early release of the all the terrain textures and other assets we have completed so far. The final release will come sometime in January and will include finishing the Egyptians and Greeks, new textures for the Norse units, as we all updates for select Atlantean units; along with other goodies from RF_GANDALF and others! The best part is that all of it will be 100% multiplayer compatible! The mod will contain significant contributions from EmjeR, Leto II, RF_GANDALF, and Batman!

NORSE UNITS

Please keep an eye out for the final release sometime this JANUARY!

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT OR RATING!!!

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 12-24-2009 @ 10:32 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 16 November 2009 09:51 PM EDT (US)     1 / 263  
    Looks great, however the dune-sand shown in picture one doesn't quite blend in perfectly. A smoother transition would be nice.
    posted 16 November 2009 10:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 263  
    There are actually 2 transitional terrains for sand dunes included. I did not make the map in the screenshots -- it is from the Titans campaign.
    posted 16 November 2009 10:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 263  
    Wow o.0 That's impressive. The terrains simply look much better in my opinion-brighter, with better mixing. I'll defintely be downloading this when it comes out

Great project idea, most people simply make new terrains. Improving existing ones...an excellent goal.

My heavens:

DoFH
    AoMH

"Imageshack is the tool of satan. Never use it under any circumstances."~Yeebaagooon
    Visit my first hosted competition at DoFH
    [img]http://elpea.net/hg/upload/upload/1242700941dofh3.jpg[/img]
    posted 16 November 2009 10:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 263  
    posted 16 November 2009 10:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 263  
    Wow!, It really looks like I can even touch these textures, good job!

[This message has been edited by FSprt (edited 11-16-2009 @ 10:24 PM).]

posted 17 November 2009 01:52 AM EDT (US)     6 / 263  
    1) How will these work with Scenario Designers such as myself? When I make the terrain in the editor, it wont be the new one will it? It will be the games coded one, but if I have the texture file, it will look different to me right? So tell me about this and with maps for people to download.

2) You are doing every singel one right? I mean, all the ones in TT as well right? I want them all.

OH MY GOD THIS IS EFFING AWESOME!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH THEY LOOK SO GOOD PLEASE MAKE THEM ALL. I expecially want to see the marsh one. I like marsh. DONT GIVE UP EVER FINISH IT THEY LOOK SO GOOD RIGHT NOW.

Dude, this is the kind of user created content that is epic. I mean, the gmae creators left, and now stuff like this is making AoM into a whole new game, completely improved.

Edit: Oh and I see a release date. One month, wow. I thought it would take longer. But personally, please please take your time, all the time you want, ignore the release date, to make these the best you can. I am highly anticipating this.

Also, this makes me very sad. I just am sad that great modders like you can make textures like this that look so good and realistic and I can't. Would you be able to give me any tips and hints on how to make great textures? I really want to be able to make awesome stuff like this. Cause I suck at new ones, its just all one pixel by pixel, and its just impossible for me to make detailed realistic textures. How do you do it? P.S. I have paint.net for my editing program, if that means anything.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 11-17-2009 @ 02:07 AM).]

posted 17 November 2009 03:18 AM EDT (US)     7 / 263  
    1) How will these work with Scenario Designers such as myself? When I make the terrain in the editor, it wont be the new one will it? It will be the games coded one, but if I have the texture file, it will look different to me right? So tell me about this and with maps for people to download.
    These textures will overwrite the old ones, as far as the game session is concerned, so that they will show up in-game and in the map editor as if they were the original terrain textures. They won't really overwrite the original textures, just mask over them. It's complicated. Point is, if you install these they are the textures that will show up in the Map Editor as if they were the original textures.
    2) You are doing every singel one right? I mean, all the ones in TT as well right? I want them all.
    Yeah, Marsh, Tundra, etc. All of them. A few of them, like the Atlantean citytile terrain and some of the underwater textures, I will leave as they are. There are also some that were in the BAR file, but do not show up in the game, so I will ignore those. So, I guess I am redoing 95% of them and not "all."
    Dude, this is the kind of user created content that is epic. I mean, the gmae creators left, and now stuff like this is making AoM into a whole new game, completely improved.
    I am really disappointed that no other modder has already done this 5 years ago, let alone me having to do it here at the ass-end of 2009 -- 8 years after the game's release.
    Edit: Oh and I see a release date. One month, wow. I thought it would take longer. But personally, please please take your time, all the time you want, ignore the release date, to make these the best you can. I am highly anticipating this.
    Well, all the ones in this preview (24 terrains) plus all the ones not in the preview only took me 3 days. I think the month timeframe is giving myself some leeway.
    OH MY GOD THIS IS EFFING AWESOME!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH THEY LOOK SO GOOD PLEASE MAKE THEM ALL. I expecially want to see the marsh one. I like marsh. DONT GIVE UP EVER FINISH IT THEY LOOK SO GOOD RIGHT NOW.
    Don't worry. Petar, aka "tasev," will be on my ass encouraging me to finish it.
    Would you be able to give me any tips and hints on how to make great textures? I really want to be able to make awesome stuff like this. Cause I suck at new ones, its just all one pixel by pixel, and its just impossible for me to make detailed realistic textures. How do you do it?
    Well, a vast majority of terrain textures of this nature are 'sourced" from high quality reference images, so they aren't hand painted pixel by pixel. The "artistry" comes in when the texture is required to tile correctly and to blend with other terrains. Mixing and matching, plus color correcting and making the terrains tile correctly is where the rub lies. Most of my source images I get from a GREAT free website called www.cgtextures.com among other places. Someday I might write a few tutorials. We'll see.

BTW - thanks for your interest. The download should be available tomorrow or the day after I'd reckon.

EDIT: There are 158 terrains total that I am going to mod.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 11-17-2009 @ 03:28 AM).]

posted 17 November 2009 03:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 263  
    What can I say Michael, this is simply great work, it totally changes the look of the game, perhaps, if you have some free time we can get a retexturing for the units too?, my textures are not as good as yours, but I could gladly help
    posted 17 November 2009 03:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 263  
    Perhaps this can be bundled with some of the Greek, Improved Norse, and Egyptian mods out there (and I certainly would like to include a few of my own Hoplite and Greek textures). We'll talk more about this over the coming month. Maybe we can make it a Christmas Eve release or something.

(Here is an old showcase image of a mod I started a couple years ago, but abandoned to focus on 0 A.D.)

(Oh, and kind of unrelated, but here is an awesome map I started like 5 years ago, but never finished.)

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 11-17-2009 @ 04:09 AM).]

posted 17 November 2009 04:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 263  
    Yes, I still have those spartan textures on my pc

My improved norse only need the shields textures, I already have all the military units. I would glady add also retextures for the myth units; we still have about a month before christmas, I believe that would be a great gift for everyone here!

Perhaps some other modders would want to join the effort?
    posted 17 November 2009 09:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 263  
    Wow, it is really great if it works online!
    It makes the game better, great job !

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 17 November 2009 10:18 AM EDT (US)     12 / 263  
    This is looking really good mate. Love the sandy look on third screenshot.
    posted 17 November 2009 10:25 AM EDT (US)     13 / 263  
    Looks good!

~Guard of Olympus ~
    Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
    posted 17 November 2009 11:30 AM EDT (US)     14 / 263  
    I like this

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
    posted 17 November 2009 02:52 PM EDT (US)     15 / 263  
    LETO II
    Yes, I still have those spartan textures on my pc
    Which Spartan textures? The ones I made or your own? I lost the ones I made, but can remake them very quickly. It'd be nice too to get a UV map for various units if possible.
    posted 17 November 2009 03:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 263  
    posted 17 November 2009 05:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 263  
    Yeah, I made that one! Do you have the linothorax one? I lost them all in a hard drive crash.

BTW -- here's another preview screenshot of some of the terrains I have been working on.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 11-17-2009 @ 05:16 PM).]

posted 17 November 2009 06:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 263  
    chrismas?? no, not that long! I dont have the patience of you modders to wait like that. I love this, its looking better and better. Love the ice and snow textures.

Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    posted 17 November 2009 08:31 PM EDT (US)     19 / 263  
    Ooh, these two are better. Did you even rework the cliff (on the edge of the world)?
    posted 17 November 2009 08:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 263  
    posted 17 November 2009 09:03 PM EDT (US)     21 / 263  
    so what about the grass textures and cliffs? There arent many cliffs, so I sure do want to have the ones there really good. And for grass, well, its grass, hope you can do well on that. The one there looks great. Oh, and sorry, what about the water texture? The one that doesnt show up in the editor if you paint with it.

Also, I saw that you wont be doing the atlantean tile? Nooo, the atty tile is great looking now, you can make it so much better.

posted 17 November 2009 09:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 263  
    I went ahead and did the Atlantean tile. You can see it there in that screenshot.
    posted 17 November 2009 10:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 263  
    posted 17 November 2009 10:57 PM EDT (US)     24 / 263  
    IMO, it needs to be more cold looking, icy or snowy parts on it. More norse look. Good job.
    And I also saw that you say you may not do some underwater textures. Oh noo, please do them if you can. The underwater ones, coral and rock, are very good looking now, and from what I have seen in your improvements, you could make them great as well.

posted 17 November 2009 11:30 PM EDT (US)     25 / 263  
    I'll see what I can do. lol. To make a good coral terrain I'll need good coral reference images.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames