You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe - All about his maps and mapmaking - DO Panic!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 08-10-06 03:09 PM EDT (US)   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Welcome to the world of "The Groll"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AoW is a part of my life, and I have been making maps for this game since I have discovered this wonderful gem of a game and saw the flat, boring maps that came with it.

There is a lot of potential in this fantastic game, but the maps that came with it seemed to be too easy to me and, quite frankly, boring.
So I wanted to do something about that. Something to keep the fun, to unlock the potential, to make it more interesting to play this brilliant game for much longer.
In other words: create new and better maps for this great game!

I'm not saying that the maps that come with the game are bad. The designers of this game must be fantasic people, but the time for releasing a game is short and they had to finish the maps in a realistic time.

So I started the editor and begun mapmaking. The Editor is the key to the whole game, and even though it has its bugs it is a gem and can keep this wonderful game alive for years. I want to thank TS for this wonderful game and the editor very much.
It drags me far, far away from this world!

My fantasy become a daemon and my mind coalesced with this fantastic tool. Landscapes appear under my fingers and my feet walk in these lands. A new world becomes real! After some hours of work I can imagine it and feel it under my feet!

Now after some years of mapmaking and much positive and negative feedback, many questions about this or that in my maps, I want to give us (me and you) a thread where you can ask me things and give feedback to my maps.
But I donīt want to answer all the questions alone. I want to work with you gals and guys together. I hope that you and other people have fun helping me to answer questions about secrets or errors in my maps. Or give positive or negative feedback and maybe praise me a little ;-)
So letīs talk about questions, hints, errors, criticisms or anything else in "The Conqueror's Fieldguide to Groll's Universe". I have made some maps for AoW I too but I donīt know if anybody still plays AoW I so this thread is dedicated to my AoWSM maps.
There is absolute no money I earn with mapmaking as everyone knows. Mapmaking is only a big fun for me and you should remember that when you post here.

These are my AoW:SM maps:

01. Marlenes Welt - Download it here: Marlenes Welt
02. Marlenes Schatten - Download it here: Marlenes Schatten
03. Marlenes Gnade - Download it here: Marlenes Gnade
04. Secrets of Marlenia - Download it here: Secrets of Marlenia
05. Gates of Elocin - Part I - Download it here: Gates of Elocin - Part I
06. Davids Winter Wonderland - Download it here: Davids Winter Wonderland
07. Fairy Wedding - Once in a Lifetime - Download it here: Fairy Wedding - Once in a Lifetime
08. Marleneīs Laughter - Download it here: Marleneīs Laughter
09. The Godīs Arena Of Magic And Power - Download it here: The Godīs Arena Of Magic And Power
10. The Wilderness - Download it here: The Wilderness
11. Mia-Mina & The Seadrake - Download it here: Mia-Mina & The Seadrake

These are my Converted AoW I maps. Converted to AoWSM AOW I mod:
1. Kayland - Download it here: Kayland

These are my AoW I maps:

1. Kayland - Download it here: Kayland
2. The Pheonix - Download it here: The Pheonix
3. Search for Excalibur - Download it here: Search for Excalibur
4. Aqua - Download it here: Aqua

Other special things I made for AoWSM:

1. AoWSM Sound Set - Download it here: Listen to the AoW I Music in AoWSM
2. Gentleman Rules and Setup Catalouge - Download it here: Still under construction - Only a first build

Contact: You can send me a private email too but only please if you think it is impossible to find help in this thread.
The_Groll AT gentlemansclub DOT de

Some hints for playing my maps can be found on my little private homepage too.
For example: How to open the "Pharaos Crypt" in
["Secrets of Marlenia")]

I want to thank Heaven Games and especially Mr. Swolte for this little place very much.
I have asked Swolte where to place this thread and he sayed that this is the right place.
Thank you Heaven Games and Swolte!
Itīs only one of hundreds of threads, but here you can ask all about "The Grollīs" maps and I can answer an often asked question once so that there will be no need for each of you to ask me again and again via email.

From time to time I will give special hints about my new upcoming map or new updates of my older maps in this "World News"-post. So check in here from time to time.

World news today in the Conqueror's Fieldguide to Groll's Universe
01. Thread opened. Welcome all!
02. For months now I have been working on a new map. Donīt ask me when it will be ready, please. You will see it when itīs done - Mapname is Marlenes Laughter
03. I want to rework and update all my older maps. I know of many bugs with events and other things (aside from ideas how to improve those maps). If you want to help, send me detailed infos about bugs, problems or whatever you think needs to addressed, please.
04. Older Tips for Gates of Elocin Earlier asked questions
05. 12.May 2009: I will release all passwords from all my maps that are still password protected. Secrets of Marlenia v.2i & j: Kay
If someone need other passwords let me know.
06. 12.May 2009: After releaseing my turnament map "The Godīs Arena Of Magic And Power" I will release one last map soon. It will be no. 10. 10 Maps are a lot for one man. That is really enought then for a while and I will take a timeout from mapmaking.

07. "Latest News" Map Released. Mia-Mina & The Seadrake. Itīs for a very special person.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 04-12-2014 @ 02:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-13-06 10:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 262  
I have one question.I liked your map Marlenes Gnade very, very much, but is there any time soon coming translation to Engilsh in that map?(or is there already, if there is where?)I'm not very good at Germany (I have read it for fun) so I think I'm missing piece or two from the story.But in all way I liked that map alot, I think it's best map I've played this far.

I would really like if there would be translation in it somewhere...in Christmas holidays I would have nice time to play it again...

"Knowledge will give you power, but character respect." Bruce Lee
"As you think, so shall you become." Bruce Lee

[This message has been edited by Arbiter Mundi (edited 08-13-2006 @ 10:31 AM).]

posted 08-13-06 01:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 262  
Hi Arbiter Mundi,

The first post. Wonderfull.

Yes there are plans to translate all my maps to the english language, but Iīm not as good in english as I need for a good translation. And I donīt have the time for translating them. I will copy and past all text parts out of the map and give them away to someone whow wants to translate it. There is a person that has interest to translate all the maps one after one in the future, but donīt want to naem this person now, not to bring pressure on him. Maybe he will drop us a line here if he like. He likes my maps too and I have asked him for a translation.
I hope he will do it in future but he is still busy in translation another map this days ;-)
But I donīt want to say more now.
Only this. Maybe it is too much work for one man/woman alone. Maybe he wants some help for some of the maps. But then he should decide which map he wants to translate.
Iīm very happy to haev him and that he has so much fun to help and I will let him decide what he wants to translate first.
Iīm working on a new map as you can read above and this map is very, very huge in all categories of mapmaking.
Very much text, very, very much (this timwe maybe 700) Events, very much of my older heros and much new heros and much, much more. I first need to complete this map including a longer testing phase. Thereafter I try to update all my other maps. And there is a very interesting new project where I hope I can be part of it.
You can see Iīm very busy. AoWSM is the only game that still runs on my computer since more than one year. No time anymore for other games.

Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 08-13-2006 @ 01:34 PM).]

posted 08-13-06 09:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 262  
Hi there, The Groll

I've found a funny default in your map(s). I play recently so often your latest map, Gate of Elocin Part I. And I've played Lake of Marlenia too. Marlene Gnade is just being play in PBEM with you. From around these three maps, I found a funny thing that makes your games harder and it also makes your games easier :d That's guards, area guards and fixed guards. It just makes the players developpe slower but not makes the players fear. And in every case, players will always grow faster than AI, we all know that. Except in the Gate of Elocin, AI grow much faster than players with your help but independent guards always make AI dare not attack you, players. In the Marlene Gnade, I'm having only one unit with a hero up to day 15 but no one comes and kills me because of strong guards are everywhere.

In three winners of map-making competition, I played your map Gates of Elocin(First prize) and Moat Monster. IMO, I prefer your map because of its beauty and very good story and events, but on the difficulty, I think Moat Monster is more difficult because I have to suffer the attacks from all the directions by raiders, berseckers, AI already develeopped before me, etc... And we all know that an active enemy is more dangerous than a standtill enemy. Despite how strong guards are, we can take time to take them down but we will die if enemy comes to your tower and you have not developped yet.

In Gates of Elocin, I had fun playing Dwarves because of the agents and soldiers of King Dain IV come very often to arrest me or kill me I hope playing your map in the future where I have to defense and developpe at the same time.

posted 08-17-06 06:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 262  
posted 08-25-06 10:42 AM EDT (US)     5 / 262  
Gates of Elocin (part I): My absolutly map favorite, only impressive!
My first hint: the ShadowDemons do open the portal self (on turn ~90, - I know you mentioned it on 1/8 of all games).
The first game, I played the proposed Orcs. The beginning was hard, first I was attacked from some Archons (heros and dwarf-golems), then the elves attacked me again and again (I killed millions of these), the Archons lowered his attacks (I think because war with Humans, Nomads and Undeads). I allied with Undeads and Demons and peace with Nomads. I completed the portal-mission on turn 95 (I think, this was already opened by someone turn ~90!? ) First I elliminated the Elves, then Humans and the strong Archons were enfeebled by the Demons and I could knock off this too so.

I fighted battles that I've never done bevor (strong heros and many elite units), very funny. I think the allies policy is ok. But I think the good/ neutral races could do peace (If they at war), if the ShadowWorld is opening!?

Up to now I saw no bugs, I also did not finished the map yet (but I'm still the great King of dark Upperworld *muhahah* :-P).

enduring cheers

(PS:de: habe noch ein paar kleine Tippfehler im Text gesehen, Weiteres per Email ...)

posted 08-25-06 05:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 262  
Thank you Aiakos

Iīm happy for all hints and infos about bugs or mistakes. I know some mistakes in this map but not all. I know why the stupid shadow deamons not open the portal every time. The AI is very, very stupid and even with 6 greater deamons and maybe 50 Lords it will not attack a single larve if this little beast has the wrong bias.
But send me all hints you have or write them down here.
And mybe make a nice vote for the map?
Nices votings make me happy.

posted 10-21-06 08:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 262  
Hey Groll, there are many things I need to ask you.

1) From where do you get all these beautiful images? Are you an artist? Where did you get the wizard & Heroes portraits for the 'Gates of Elocin' map?

2) When is your map Merlen's Laughter releasing? Haven't heard of it since a long time.

3) Is there any future version of Gates of Elocin releasing?

-= Love heals all =-
The One and only NymphMaster!
Aow-SM Maps: The Titan Gate (4.9/5)
Aow-TWT Maps:Glass (4.6/5)
Got any questions/suggestions regarding my maps? Post them HERE
posted 10-21-06 03:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 262  
I tried translating some of the signs on your maps into English using an online translator, but sadly a lot of the sentences didn't make sense when translated. My English is very good, but sadly my German is non-existent...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 10-22-06 10:49 AM EDT (US)     9 / 262  
Hehehe, Roger, most of the online "translators" can produce only weird and funny gipperish -- just like I. You have to buy a good translator program to have suitable text.
nice to see you... alive.

"Knowledge will give you power, but character respect." Bruce Lee
"As you think, so shall you become." Bruce Lee
posted 10-22-06 01:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 262  
Thanks

Of course, if somebody could translate them into rough English I would be happy to finalise the translation...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 10-22-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 262  
Hi sausud!

Quote:

1) From where do you get all these beautiful images? Are you an artist? Where did you get the wizard & Heroes portraits for the 'Gates of Elocin' map?

2) When is your map Merlen's Laughter releasing? Haven't heard of it since a long time.

3) Is there any future version of Gates of Elocin releasing?

1. Searching the web "keywords: Fantasy, heros, gallery"
I have collected many, many images of fantasy images over the years. Many hours of work. Then I made the images for the heros of theres images in Photoshop.

2. Itīs still under construction. I work sindce one year at this map with breaks for upatch and Gates of Elocin. I have another project this days too but I still work on it and it will be release bofore I sink tzo deep into this new project. It will come for sure. TO much work to let it unfinished but the last two weeks, real life keeps me busy too, but Iīm still working on it. I have worked for maybe 650-700 hours for this map until now. There are so much events in it (this days more than 800 or more events) that it needs much time. It is maybe 85% complete but only in german. It seams I need a translator for the english version too. If someone wants to help? I will post a request soon here.

3. I allways wanted to make it but after "Marlenes Lachen - Marelnes Laughter" I need a timeout of mapmaking. Thgen this new project will need all my power and after this I want to make a new map without this mega difficult events from Marlenes Laughter. ML is very complex and the events are very difficult. For exapmle there are mission with more than 150 events. thereafter maybe Gates of Elocin - Part II can come.

Feel free to ask everything

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 10-22-2006 @ 01:50 PM).]

posted 10-22-06 02:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 262  
Hi Roger!

What map do you ask for?Marlenes Welt, Marlenes Schatten, Marlenes Gnade?
I will be very happy if I can find someone that translates my maps Marlenes Welt, Marlenes Schatten, Marlenes Gnade and Marlenes Laughter into english. I you know someone, please tell her/him that I will be happy to give the latest version of these maps away for translation. Or I will coppy all the text out of this maps and send a text document to her/him for the translation. That works fine and is not too much work for the translator. Then I copy and paste it back into my maps. Works fine.
I wanted to translate them but first Marlenes Laugther has major priority. My english is bad so I donīt dare to try it myself. The joke of the german to english translation gis lost, if I do it myself. I made Secrets of Marlenia in english as we work on upatch 1.4 and Magog has translated it into correct english. Maybe I can try it with my other maps too but not yet because the priority of ML.

So if someone wants to help with translation I will be happy

posted 10-25-06 11:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 262  
Dear Gnoll:
This is my first post, I hope that I am doing it ok.
I have played Secrets of Marlenia, which was tremendous fun, and I am now enjoying a similar quality experience with Gates of Elocin.
A small thing I noticed: playing as the eleves I took the capital city of the orcs (Son of Troskoll) early on (turn 70). But Son of Troskoll still lives in one of his Southern cities. Now, every turn some of his units "appear" just at the side of the capital. I imagine these are his "bonus" units. The poor orcs get killed every turn by my garnison of course, but would there be a way for them to follow Son of Troskoll to his new home instead of cropping up at that location?
Thank you for your work, I am looking forward to your upcoming bilinbgual Marlene map.
posted 10-25-06 01:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 262  
Hi spqrxxi,
First, thank you for the vote for Secrets of Marlenai!

You asked for Son of Troskolls bonus units.
You are right. This are the bonus units for him and as far as I remember they will spawn as long as he is alive not as long as he has his hometown.
That is maybe not fine if you catch his capitol and he is miles away but there is no way to stop or change this now.
I will notice it and think about this problem, when I rework this map in future. Thank you for this hint. More fo this things will help to make this map/all maps better. It is impossible to find all this errors or strange unlogical things when making such a huge map. Sorry.
There are many things on my todo list but this is a new thing. Thanks! I hope you have much fun playing on and that you have the luck to see Grabberack breaking free from the shades

posted 11-04-06 08:35 AM EDT (US)     15 / 262  
This may sound funny but I played you map Gates of Elocin for the first time some 2-3 days ago and I do not have a words to describe how interesting the map is. Although I scarcely play maps on AOW:SM nowadays, I played this map and I became a fan of yours. Such a wonderful design and lots and lots of enemies to hunt down. that keeps the map going on for a lot of time. I'm playing as Drain Ironfist and enjoying every minute of it. Hats off to you and your map design. No wonder why this map one the first prize. Hope Merlene's lachen is as involving as this one. When are you releasing it?

-= Love heals all =-
posted 11-04-06 02:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 262  
Hi Sausud,

Thank you for your nice words for Gates of Elocin.
If you have played to the end and maybe replayed it with another nation you maybe want to vote for it?

Good news for this map too. A map of this has bugs. It is simply impossible to make such a map without bug, even when I have tested it a long time.
But A good new friend is at the event-front of this map this days and is fixing a lot of bugs so that I only have to rework some special bugs.
Then we can release a reworked version of this map soon.

To your question for my new two language "Marlenes Lachen - Marlene Laugther" map.
I dare to say here the first time something about the release.
It is ready for 90 %
Only one mega event is planed.
After that event is ready I need to make the AI setings/bonus AI and then fill the map with some Indie life. Means that I will make the wold more alive. This was a point some players hint me in the past. They say itīs sometimes to static (Swolte, Desert Ranger) to hunt for standing still stacks. It seams they have not enougth trouble with the spawned (Events) units.
So I will give them some more trouble but this is a beasty switch and it can kill AI players. SO even when the map is ready for 90 % I will need some time to complete and test it. I have worked for this map now more than one year and more than maybe 750 hours. This all means nothing if the map is unplayable or gives no fun.
The only thing I can guaratee is that there will be "some" errors and bugs inside, when it will be released, because it is simple impossible to test it with all events (now the map has more than 2100 events and it is not ready!!!). Or if you guys out there want a bugfree version you must wait for maybe two or three years?

This days I copy all text out of the map to give it away to people how dares to help me with the english translation. I donīt need an english version but I found so much friends and fun here on HG that I want to give some fun back to you guys and I realy want to have a english version for you.

Again my call for help here. Please help me with the translation:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=26,5021,,60

posted 11-05-06 00:10 AM EDT (US)     17 / 262  
Hey Groll, I will rate your map after I finish playing all the wizzies. That will be a long time on but I surely will.

About the translation thing, I had german when I was in Secondary school. I am not good at german language. Otherwise I would've had helped you out with the translation thing.

2100 events!! Whoa, it sounds like you have created a new game. The bugs are apperent to pop up in any decent map with lots of events. My life had become so miserable while designing my latest map with some 700+ events. You may have exhausted creating more than double those events. Can't wait for laying my hands on your map. Why don't you make some sort of introductory movie for your map? That will give a boost to the story.

Hope you come up with good english translation. Gates of elocin had a good translation. was it done by you? If yes, then I don't think you need any translator.

-= Love heals all =-
posted 11-05-06 05:26 AM EDT (US)     18 / 262  
Hi Sausud,

Quote:

2100 events!! Whoa, it sounds like you have created a new game

I hope I have only created a new world for AoWSM not a new game But there will be new things inside a map and I think this new things was never made before in an map. Some of the missions are very event-hungry so the number of events donīt say to much about this map. But of course there will be a surprise on every day you play in this new world. I hope it is more a exploration and a RPG as a simple AoWSM hackīnīslash map.

Quote:

My life had become so miserable while designing my latest map with some 700+ events.

Tales of Matunmura: The Titan Gate? You last map with 700+ Events? Yes, then you know what pain is I have downloaded your map but have not the time for playing it. My respect for such a nice work. Have only taken a look in the editor so far. Impressive! But I think I will when some of my projects are done. Maybe with my girl in hotseat

The very nice translation for Gates of Elocin was made by a friend "Chat Noir". It seams he donīt answer my call for help. Iīm sad about that but itīs a lot of work. Yesterday I have finished the copy-text-out-of-map-process. 150 pages in a word document. There are much subsections in this document so it only seam so very much work.

Iīm very happy that you want to play Gates of Elocin with all wizzards. Thatīs the rigth spirit and then you will realy see that some events only come to some nations!
I hope that we can upload the new version in some time. A new friend is working on the bugfix and to-do-list. I have much trust in him that he will complete this work and make it all correct. Can I say who you are _______? He want to help in translating the new map too. It seams that we are two guys who try this work and we have two guys that try to correct our pidgin then. Magog and Roger. But this will take more time as when Chat Noir would make it in one step perfect and with his nice translation kind.

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 11-05-2006 @ 05:30 AM).]

posted 11-05-06 01:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 262  

Quote:

I hope it is more a exploration and a RPG as a simple AoWSM hackīnīslash map.

Then you should surely play my map. It is a true Rpg where you play with only a limited number of units and explore huge surroundings, travel to different lands, rescue heroes and so on. Maybe you may get a hint or two from my map. I know this sounds offending for a fresher to make suggestions to a veteran but It's still your choice.

Quote:

150 pages in a word document. There are much subsections in this document so it only seam so very much work.

Welcome to the world of the Undead

Quote:

A new friend is working on the bugfix and to-do-list. I have much trust in him that he will complete this work and make it all correct.

I shall report to your friend whenever I find a bug in your map OR i may report them here if you want to.

Quote:

Can I say who you are _______?

Ich wohne aus Indien, aus pune (Is this correct?). My German is little/more rusty. It's been like almost 3 years I did not touch German textbook (Unsere erste Deutschbuch).

-= Love heals all =-

[This message has been edited by sausud (edited 11-05-2006 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 11-12-06 09:19 AM EDT (US)     20 / 262  
Gates of Elocin rules!

Firstly, I would like to say is that how can you succesfully add such complex and great events for a very long time? I usually get bummed up after making some. I would like to say that ur map is a large scale war with lots and lots of units doing many things at once. That keeps the story going and player to his feets. There was this day when some Greater Demons popped up and I was lucky in recruiting 2 of them. After that, I killed many opponents. Usually they would flee on seeing those abominatons.

One thing I would like to ask is what do you have to do with the shadow gate thing? I have barricaded the entrance and there are these lots and lots of suckers(Shadow demons) popping and running hayware, destroying anything in sight. What do I do? Does this map have a special winning condition?

Some things I did not like about the map are:
1) Too many units and Fx cripple PC performance.
2) No warning messages when Greater demons or any other high level units run astray.
3) Repeated spawning of units (Area Guards) near Dain's Castle. (Those suckers killed my High Level Hero)

Some Suggestions:
1) Add some minor quests to make the story more engaging.
2) Reduce the no of quests stones and add some specific quests to them.

more suggestion will follow....

-= Love heals all =-
posted 11-12-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     21 / 262  
Hi sausud!

Quote:

One thing I would like to ask is what do you have to do with the shadow gate thing? I have barricaded the entrance and there are these lots and lots of suckers(Shadow demons) popping and running hayware, destroying anything in sight. What do I do? Does this map have a special winning condition?

Thank you very much, that you like the map!
What nation do you have played in your game?
Shadow Gate Thing? DO you mean the "orc mashine" that the elven have in their land or the "Dragon soul"?

There is no specail winning condition.

Have you not entered the Gate so far? Are you on the surface or in the dungeons?

A hint how to defend king Dain the IV - here:

How to defend king Dain the IV

A update will be soon there for this maīp that fixes many problems.

Sausud. You made a realy nice map and so you will know that it is impossible to make a map like Gates of Elocin without errors when it have so much events too. You will see if you follow the hints with king Dain you will surfive and he will die.

Thank you for your hints.

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 11-12-2006 @ 06:58 PM).]

posted 12-09-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 262  
The new version of Gates of Elocin - Part I v.2c is up in the HG download section now!

posted 12-09-06 03:30 PM EDT (US) 9 / 9
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=26&tn=5022&st=recent&f=26,5022,0,60] Info

or direct DL

Gates of Elocin - Part I v.2c

If you want to give hints in future please post them in this thread here.
If you want to post me some nice or bad words, please post them in the votes thread that is in the DL folder on HG.

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 12-09-2006 @ 03:42 PM).]

posted 12-10-06 05:28 AM EDT (US)     23 / 262  
Hello the Groll

please help me...
With the new version, I'm playing with Findulias (the Queen of elves) and I'm meeting a recurrent bug : game stopped after the 2nd turns.
I've tested it twice... same result
I've the save if you need it

Thx

Lal

Maps for uPatch 1.4 - 1. Avatar of Lolth 2. Legacy of Lolth

[This message has been edited by Lal (edited 12-10-2006 @ 05:29 AM).]

posted 12-10-06 06:39 AM EDT (US)     24 / 262  
Hi brother Lal

Hm... strange but I have not tested the map with the elven after all the bugfixes. Please give me the savefile. I will try to load it and maybe I have time to start play the elven too today.

Email the turn to K DOT Vollbehr AT gmx DOT de please.

I hope itīs not a real bug.

Have you ever played this map before?
This map is not small so maybe there is a memory problem?
512 mb RAM is recomment.

posted 12-10-06 09:23 AM EDT (US)     25 / 262  
Hi The Groll

yeah I've playing the old version a lot of time ('cause for me it's one of the best map ! and perhaps the best !!!) but it was the first time with the new version.

Yet I'm sending to you the save file.

Greetings

Lal

posted 12-10-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     26 / 262  
Update Gates of Elocin - Part I to version v.2c1

I have fixed a heavy new bug that letīs the game crash in turn two when humans are played by the AI. Iīm very sad that this happens. I realy hope there is no other new bug like this one but I donīt have the time/chance now to play the map maybe 120 turns before many people have downloaded this (v.2c) buggy version. I want to help you fast and hope there is no other bug like this one. Iīm very sorry for the 12 people that have downloaded this first buggy version.

posted 12-10-06 03:49 PM EDT (US)     27 / 262  
Thx The Groll for this quick corrected version !
I'm going to play again with the same pleasure !

Greetings

Lal

posted 12-10-06 04:54 PM EDT (US)     28 / 262  
That bug was my blame, I'm very sorry for this. But in my game it's not a bug, no crash appears (I tested it very often, so I can't say why)!?! I'm glad that the Groll found this flaw quickly.

p.s. One of twelve was me.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch-1.4 Unit/structure design Team
HamletG's-ILBEditor and - my addon "UEx" (v0.81 updated 2005-12-20) CONFUSION IS NEXT AND NEXT AFTER THAT IS THE TRUTH

[This message has been edited by FireGolem (edited 12-10-2006 @ 04:57 PM).]

posted 01-03-07 07:35 AM EDT (US)     29 / 262  
Hello
Gates of Elocin are GREAT but ...
Please, we are playing this scenario long time ( another scenarios are weak and boring when someone start playing this) and we waiting and waiting and waiting.... for next YOUR scenario. Please, say us (our group of Your fans) when can expect next Your scenario ?

P.S. if it is possible write it on our mail kwasnid@gmail.com

posted 01-05-07 02:28 PM EDT (US)     30 / 262  
Hi kwasnid!

Thank you for this nice words.

Answer to your question:
Some thinks are slowing down the speed of finishing this (new-old) mega map.
1. Real life.
2. Upatch 1.5 work.
3. My PBEM games Iīm involved.

The map is ready to 95%
but donīt think that "only" 5% can be made in some days.
I work for this map for more than one year now. Breaks was the making of upatch 1.4 ( upatch stuff and Secrets of Marlenia) and the mapmaking competition (Gates of Elocin).
After this breaks I have continued this now new-old map. The map is huge in size and huge in all other things. Gates of Elocin is maybe 1/4 in size of this map.
So I think the map will be finished in a month or so.
Iīm implementing not much more new superevents this days and mapmaking/landscaping is finished. Left is the huge work of balance settup, making the map "alive" ;-) , Some intro events and texts, the document file that will ship with the map (like in Gates of Elocin) and the big part of playtesting this map.
8 Nations will be playable and all are very detailed.
It is not possible for me to test these all in real testgames. then the map will take another year to make a final version. so I say here now and today. Forgive me for maybe many, many errors in this map that you will find when you have it some day on your machine. donīt be angry then about me. Imagine that I want to give this map to to you girls & guys out there in a acceptable timespan.

What I can promise you all who wait for this map is:
Iīm realy working hard on it!
Iīm not lazy and will finish it even when I too need some time to play a game here or there to switch my brain off sometimes!!

When itīs ready I recomment to have a minimum machine with 512 mb RAM. I have only 512 Mp and the game is working hard on my HD so I think 1024 or more RAM will be better for playing it.

And at the end:
You have a little part of this map here...
When you look at the bat-image in the mainpost of this thread you see a part of the world of Marlenes Laughter

Thanks for the trust and for pushing and forcing me.
Maybe you canīt imagine but this realy gives me power to work on at this "Monster".

posted 01-06-07 05:19 AM EDT (US)     31 / 262  
THX for response and for mail and for YOUR GREAT WORK !!

I think we are withstand this 1 month probe
We will be waiting for Your sign.

THX again.

posted 05-06-07 09:00 AM EDT (US)     32 / 262  
In Gates of Elocin how would the Archon wizard get Syron Forceships? He had those when I played the map.
And can the same Archon wizard get Pioneers for free with some even, or does he have to build them.
-Why do you give a stack of 1 pioneer Berserker behaviour?

[This message has been edited by Ecthelion_21 (edited 05-06-2007 @ 09:03 AM).]

posted 05-06-07 01:15 PM EDT (US)     33 / 262  
Hi Ecthelion_21

Nice that you ask your question here. Perfect

Itīs been a while since I made this map but the AI gets bonus units from time to time in this map.
When you played the map as human player the AI gets bonus units and the Archons get of copurse Archons and sometimes maybe Syron units.
You will never get this units when you play the Archons.
Only the AI gets them to compensate the human thinking power with units power for the AI

If you like you can open the map in the editor and look at it. Read the doc file that comes with the map, please.

Why there is a berserker pioneer, I donīt know.

posted 05-16-07 01:44 PM EDT (US)     34 / 262  
World news today in the Conqueror's Fieldguide to Groll's Universe

Updated the main post.
Made four new links from here to my old AoW I maps.
1. Kayland
2. The Pheonix
3. Search for Excalibur
4. Aqua
The maps where good in the old days and I think they are even today good enought for fans of the original.
Here you can see my first work for AoW (Kayland)
There are still some plans, to "update" this maps in future.
It seams, there are still people that love & play the original AoW I.

posted 08-05-07 05:18 PM EDT (US)     35 / 262  
Hello,
The Groll kindly answered a question about one of his maps (Marlenes Welt) by e-mail, I am posting the answer here just to share it with you all:

Question: I just wanted to ask you if this map is better for multiplayer, because I am playing it alone, and although I am enjoying it and it is only like day 15, two wizards were already killed (by indies I guess).
I am leading the Dark Elves, all other wizards are AI Emperors, Surrender is Off.

Answer:
The map is designed for SP but is also playable in MP of course. But then itīs not very fair. Some nations can explore much better than other.
Means. the balance is not very fair for MP but we play it this days in a PBEM game here .
That two wizards are already killed is sad for the game. IT happens because the Game engine spawns indiependat units at the start of every game.
I canīt avoid this sadly. The problem is that this indies are conquering the world and some times kill wizards.
The problem is too that all wizards start with only few units and so everyone is weak at the start of the map.
If then a AI player loose this start units and some indies come around... Game over for this player...
Sad but true.
If you play again itīs possible that all survive and the game becomes realy cool.
Thank you, The Groll, for your answer. I have started the map several times, and even add to the map a "Units Join" event to give some garrison to all wizards but mine, using the map editor. But there is always one wizards killed before day 20: Drac Wüstenherr.

You said "you can't avoid this", I guess it is because you want to make all wizards playable, right?
Because if you make a wizard strong enough to survive early indie's attacks, the map wont be balanced anymore, right?

Best regards, and keep up the good work
posted 08-06-07 03:21 PM EDT (US)     36 / 262  
Hi Unnapu,

thanks for this posting here again.
Because if you make a wizard strong enough to survive early indie's attacks, the map wont be balanced anymore, right?
Yes thatīs the reason.

No one is perferct. In my new maps (Gates of Elocien and Marlenes Laugther) this problem will be removed because I use many events to give the AI players more power.
So every player and of course the indies should fear this AI players now.
I plan to rework my older maps in this kind that I help the AI players too but Iīm totaly out of time to do this.
Why drac Wüstenherr allways die I canīt say. Have you taken a look who killed him?

posted 09-26-07 12:54 PM EDT (US)     37 / 262  
Hi

here we are again...
long time because we was during move from one country to other...

Groll we are still waiting for Marlenes Laughter !!
Please finish it !! And let us taste it !

SU
posted 09-26-07 02:30 PM EDT (US)     38 / 262  
Hi, kwasnid,

Thanks for your faith and inspiration
You can see the actual status of this map at:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=26&tn=5021&f=26,5021,0,60&st=0

posted 09-30-07 04:05 PM EDT (US)     39 / 262  
Planing beta testing phase soon.
Testing some of the last things this days.
Wait for some more translations and I still need to make the english document that ships with the map.
But that are only small things compared with the big event bock.
It will come in 2007 as promised, even when it has only beta character maybe. But what means beta?
This map is to huge as it can be checked within some weeks.
I have very few time for playing maps and for this one itīs the same. Iīm allways seaching for bugs or errors or mistakes or things that was not as I meant it.
But the time has come for beta testing.

posted 10-06-07 02:08 PM EDT (US)     40 / 262  
hi groll! seems like the map is completed. waiting for your map. release it asap. hope it isnt too heavy for my PC. he he he...

-= Love heals all =-
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe - All about his maps and mapmaking - DO Panic!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames