loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: History of the SWU RPG - Revised
posted 12-23-06 09:32 PM EDT (US)   
A History of the SWU RPG- Revised

by:

/==DarkBeing==\

Preface:

Has it really been four years since I registered? It seems impossible. Yet here I am, although not as active as I used to be. Yet I continue returning to this place to watch this dynamic community turn out stories about a galaxy far, far, away. Keep it up my friends.

Introduction:

Role Playing Games (RPG’s) have been a part of SWU for years. They combine a love for the Star Wars Saga (and its Expanded Universe) into story lines that at times are strange or completely ridiculous, but can also be original and captivating. This thread showcases many examples of different RPG’s throughout SWU’s history and encourages current members to reread these old stories.

In my four years, I have seen many RPG’s rise and fall – some to inactivity, others to bitter arguments. But this thread is to bring attention to their existence more than their faults.

Dedication:

To RPG players past, present and future. Their work is a testament to the effort put forth by a group dedicated to adding their voices to the Star Wars Universe that has brought us here together. May the Force Be With You.

Highlights of RP History

The Emergence of the RPG

A long time ago in a forum far, far away . . .

It began with Arthur of Kings. Fresh from his experiences at AOK Heaven/Historical Roleplaying Forum, he decided to bring the Forum RPG to SWGBH. The Star Wars Thread began on May 16th, 2002, and became an instant success. Taking place between Episodes II and III, it dealt with the emerging Confederacy and the future of the galaxy.

After Arthur’s thread, the race was on. Dozens of RPG’s sprang up right and left, many dying as quickly as they came. At the time, some found them to be a nuisance – 3 different complaint threads were made in this period.

Then came Star Wars Neighborhood.

On August 11th, 2002, OOM_9_77 launched The Star Wars Neighborhood
which proved to be a different kind of RPG.

[q=Star Wars Neighborhood intro]
33 Star Wars Lane is where all the SW characters come to get away from life's hassles, and just relax. The new street is ready for anyone willing to live with everyone else. Want to be Boba Fett and chat to Han Solo? Want to bring the Falcon in to the starship wash? Want to mow your very own lawn? Well, now you can do it all.
The Star Wars Neighborhood (SWN) RPG would become the original RPG Saga, eventually spawning a dozen incarnations, the latest being Sir Billy’s version. In the beginning, several of SWN’s spinoff threads held the largest-RPG title. Ranging from smart to just plain wacky, SWN was definitely original in its format.

For a list of most of the SWN threads, see the Sagas section below.

The Doldrums Good RPGs Far and Few Between

For awhile, there were not many significant RPG’s after SWN. Several threads did manage to make an impact though – and they paved the way for more to come. While the threads themselves were not necessarily large, their content was critical to RPG development.

Rise of the Bounty Hunters RPG by Tantive, while only 107 posts, featured a unique storyline that followed the scum of the universe in their dirty work. It too, spawned several off shoots as others continued where previous storylines left off.

The Sith War by Gregorotto88, featured the first of many stories that revolved around the Dark Side overlords. Like Bounty Hunters, several incarnations of the Sith Wars appeared over the years. It could be said that KOTOR storylines are related to the same style that Sith Wars used.

The Take Off Period

Other than Arthur’s original RPG and the Star Wars Neighborhood incarnations, SWU had not had a large RPG in awhile. But after The Crazy Person launched Galactic Senate RPG this was soon to change.

Galactic Senate, and its second version, featured an interesting look at Republic politics with an interesting backstory. One of the first RPG’s to feature a galactic map; it brought a new meaning to planetary distances and areas of the galaxy. Galactic Senate and its sequel (also by TCP) were rare in that they exceeded the 100 reply mark.

Author’s note: The Galactic Senate Threads got me interested in Roleplaying.

Launch of the Sagas

At the time Galactic Senate ended, it was the second largest RPG in SWU history with 341 replies.

But this record would soon be nothing when Arthur of Kings returned from the depths of cyberspace to launch a new RPG.

Beginning February 9th, 2003, the The New Republic Thread
featured a galaxy post ROTJ, with a strengthened Republic and a weakened Empire. It was also the first of the modern ‘faction based’ RPGs, styled after the type of games at the Historical Roleplaying Forum.

The NR thread launched its way to 536 posts, but suffered when Arthur left partway through. After this, I took over the duties of moderator and created the NR Thread continued.

It should be noted that this RPG suffered from problems that afflict many threads: Internal conflicts that spawned alternate threads, extravagant godmoding (we once summoned an ancient deity in 5 posts), and periods of inactivity. But ultimately, this monstrous thread – 1184 replies – finished gracefully.

Around the same time as New Republic thread was beginning its rise to fame, Shadow_Droid was launching the longest RPG Saga in GBH history. Return of the Jedi RPG was a different take on the classic film. Overtime, ROTJ would launch 5 more RPG’s ending at last with Darth Persia’s Episode XI.The largest of these threads was Episode VIII: A Darkening Galaxy, which, at 1252 posts, became the longest faction based RPG at GBH.

The Trailblazer Era

Shadow’s ROTJ saga would up the average number of posts per thread, meaning that a ‘successful’ RPG would have to be longer and more durable. But as threads grew larger, it became clear that coordination and firm moderation were more important than just post counts. Sometimes RPG’s would grow large mainly due to ongoing OOC arguments rather than intense IC posts.

Nevertheless, the community would produce many fine threads that deserve to be noted for their originality, organization, and structure.

Old Republic Thread by Melkor1:

Melkor’s first foray into RP’ing, the OR thread dealt with an original concept: The formation of the original Republic that would stand for thousands of years before Palpatine’s Empire. A character based RPG that lasted 434 posts, OR would set the stage for later RPG's based around this early Republic theme.

Episode III: RoTS by Commander Merai:

Launched almost a month before the actual release of Episode III, but with full knowledge of spoilers, this thread rocketed into history. Easily the fastest growing RPG in GBH history, it reached 1000 posts in merely 13 days. Just 14 days after it was launched, it finally concluded with 1235 replies, and an entirely different vision of ROTS. It set the stage for modern Clone Wars based threads.

Advent of Darkness Thread by DarkBeing:

Advent of Darkness launched on August 4th, 2004. A character based RPG, the thread had far fewer arguments than most stories at the time. The story involved the greatest of the Sith Order – Palpatine, Exar Kun, Naga Sadow, etc, joining forces and wrecking havoc upon the galaxy. Posts in AOD were generally longer than the average, over 2000 words in some cases! 1445 posts later and with a definitive ending, AOD was the single largest RPG-thread in GBH history. Aspects of this monstrous RPG can be found in many modern threads.

*Note: A planned sequel to Advent of Darkness was cancelled because of the author’s desire to turn it into a fanfic. DarkBeing and Melkor1 completed their work on the story in June 2007. You can read the completed fanfiction here

Fallen Empire RPG by Darth Persia:

Fallen Empire and its successors were original in their concept, as they used dice rolls like actual board-game RPGs to determine events. The system allows for faction based RPGs to be moderated easier than in the past, where it was difficult to determine fairly how much each side had lost in battle.

The Modern Era

Old Republic Era RPG’s dominated the scene after AOD (the dominant thread for seven months) finished. The following threads explore this interesting time period which – naturally – is rife with galactic turmoil:

Old Republic Thread: Remastered by Darth Persia

This thread breathed new life into an RPG originally started by Melkor1. The thread took a new direction as characters and factions evolved without the arguments that plagued the first one. One of several newer threads to experience a "remastery" during this period.

Fall of the Infinite Empire by Austin Powers

26,000 years before the Galactic Empire reigned, the Infinite Empire of the Rakata ruled the skies. As it expands, the Infinite Empire threatens a fledgling alliance of Core Worlds, and the entire galaxy. This small alliance comes together to fight the menacing empire and bring about its destruction – much like their successors do generations later.

KOTOR RPG by Darth Kiev

The award winning game Knights of the Old Republic featured a cast of interesting characters, and also inspired this RPG. But this time, players took control of both sides – Jedi and Sith, creating a story that differed from the original plot.

Great Hyperspace War by Unholy Sacrifice

An original thread concept which deals with the Republic’s first encounter with the Sith, and the latter’s expansion through subterfuge and cunning. But when the Sith finally reveal themselves, the Republic and the Jedi must fight a brutal enemy that will stop at nothing to conquer the galaxy. It reveals an interesting cross-section of the Sith Empire at the time, and the characters of aloof figures like Naga Sadow.

Mandalorian Wars RPG by Farlander

Before Revan and Malak turned to the Dark Side, they fought in the Mandalorian Wars. Launched on July 17th, 2005, the thread had players control fierce warriors like Canderous Ordo and Mandalore the Ultimate. In this thread, Republic players struck at the Mandalorian home world itself, only to pay the price dearly.

RPG Organization and Regulation in the Modern Era

Yet despite the fact that RPG’s of this time period featured interesting plots and dedicated role players, the problem of too many threads running at once still existed. There was also a concern that some newer role players did not have the grasp on how to play correctly. Over the course of SWU, several RP’ing guides were created to assist newer players.

But some felt the guides were not enough to deal with such problems. Players formed groups to discuss threads and writing strategies. Several of these are detailed below:

The Crusade for Commas:

The Crusade, founded by Melkor1 in July 2005, was an endeavor to improve the writing quality of RPGs. Though short lived, the Crusade managed to bring together role players of various experience levels. To apply, players had to have participated in at least 3 RPGs.

But while the role players were now united under a common banner, they were relatively powerless, and the crusade did not have much of an impact on SWU threads at the time.

The Imperial Legion changed all that. Founded by Darth Persia in April 2006, the Legion focused not just on the quality of RPGs, it attempted to regulate them. The Legion featured a multi-tier governing system, where role players elected higher level representatives. The Legion awarded accolades to successful threads and players, instituted a method to regulate disputes within threads, and launched an RPG calendar that limited the number of threads at once.

But some disagreed with the Legion’s tactics, especially in how RPGs were regulated. Because Legion members were not official moderators of SWU, there was a feeling that their authority was irrelevant. These disputes eventually caused the Legion’s downfall.

But Role players did not remain scattered for long. Groups like the Confederacy of Independent RP’ers and The Guild of SWU Role Players were formed to assist other members who wanted writing assistance. While not as bureaucratic as the Legion, these small groups attempted to maintain role player unity.

But the Imperial Legion left an impression on SWU. By instituting a system where RPGs are properly regulated, it addressed problems that had been around since the founding of SWU.

The current RPG Calendar, launched in June 2006, uses the same system as its predecessor, in which members approve threads before they are launched. At long last, the influx of threads had been stemmed, as the Calendar lets role players express interest in an RPG. Because of this, threads now last longer, and it can be argued that overall quality has improved as players can be reported to the Calendar for abuse. Also, as a stickied thread, the RPG Calendar has become the prominent place in SWU for role players to discuss threads and upcoming ideas.

The Calendar system has proved fortuitous for SWU, and many RPGs have flourished since its inception. They include:

-Clone Wars RPG by Austin Powers

-Legacy of the Force RPG by Bando Gora

-The Original Trilogy RPG by Darth Kiev

-Empire’s Bane: Resurrection by Melkor1

Conclusion

As SWU moves into its 5th year, RPGs continue to flourish. They are now more regulated, allowing for creative minds to mold and twist characters and galactic events without having to worry about being overwhelmed by competing threads. Veteran players guide newer ones, resulting in original and fun threads.

Despite the words of naysayers in the past, SWU appears alive and well, thanks to the tireless work of role players and their stories.

Statistics

List of the Longest RPG's

1. Advent of Darkness Thread - DarkBeing: 1445
2. Episode VIII RPG - Shadow_Droid: 1252
3. Episode III: RoTS - Commander Merai: 1235
4. SW: The Clone Wars RPG – Austin Powers - 1201
5. New Republic Thread (continued) - DarkBeing 1184
6. SW: A New Empire RPG: Bando_Gora1138: 1179
7. Empire's Bane: Resurrection - Melkor1: 946
8. Episode X: A Shattered Galaxy - Shadow_Droid: 939
9. The Clone Wars RPG: LordVader672: 934
10. The Clone Wars - Austin Powers: 710
11. Fall of Infinite Empire - Austin Powers 693
12. Imperial Thread - DarkBeing: 619
13. Mandalorian Wars RPG – Farlander 617
14. Empire! RPG: Cheapy the Hutt: 602
15. Episode 3 Cont'd - Alexus: 590
16. Star Wars Neighborhood: Reborn - Zara: 563
17. New Republic Thread (original) - Arthur of Kings: 536

This list only counts threads over 500 replies.

Longest RPG Sagas (3+ related threads)

1.The Star Wars Neighborhood:3266
2.Return of the Jedi-Episode XI: 3019
3.New Republic: 2019 (Includes a spin off thread plus two others where storyline was continued)

This list only counts sagas over 1000 replies.

Fun Facts

Longest Clone Wars-era RPG - SW: The Clone Wars RPG – Austin Powers – 1201 replies

Longest Post-ROTJ era RPG- Advent of Darkness Thread – DarkBeing – 1445 replies

Longest Non SW RPG – Halo Last Stand – Lazer X7 – 404 replies

Fastest RPG (Large numbers of posts in short period of time): Episode III: RoTS - Commander Merai – 1235 replies in 13 days

Shortest RPG (At least 1 IC reply): The Return of Rogoe: RPG – Delta 618 –2 replies

# of Threads in SWU that contain “RPG” in their title: 248 (Actual number of RPGs is slightly less)

# of RPG Complaint Threads: 7

Final Words:

Due to the sheer number of RPG’s I don’t have room to highlight them all. However, if you are an author of one of these RPG's and you wish to clarify/change the information I have put up, please let me know and I will do so. The purpose of the lists is simply for fun and in no way reflects which RPG is 'the best'.

[This message has been edited by DarkBeing (edited 03-09-2008 @ 01:47 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-23-06 10:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
*gapes in awe*

So THAT'S why you've been AWOL lately!

Nice to have you back, DB!

posted 12-23-06 11:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
So... for the clone wars, did you include prt 2?

Boba Fettuccini
But here is what I'd really like to know: did you see the writing on the wall?
posted 12-23-06 11:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Nice. Very nice,

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
posted 12-23-06 11:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Excellent work. Glad to see you around again, too.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions
posted 12-24-06 06:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15  

Quote:

3. SW: The Clone Wars RPG ? Austin Powers - 1201
4. Episode III: RoTS - Commander Merai: 1235

...Did I miss something?

"I vote we rename this thread to Merai: Kicking Ass and Taking Names"- Scn Jedi
"Merai is awesome cause he makes me one badass mother****er, or as Dane Cook says, a BAMF"- The Crazy Person
"I actually prefer Merai's opinion over everyone else's. You can quote me on that."- Sarthos
posted 12-24-06 01:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
@Merai: Whoops, good catch there. I had to insert several newer threads into the list and bumped yours down by accident.

@Boba: Because Clone Wars is a pretty recent RPG I decided not to do a full "bio" on it. However I did write down in my notes that it had a sequel so if this ever gets updated again it will get mentioned.

@Everyone else: Thanks for your comments! It's nice to be back.

posted 12-24-06 01:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
We hoped to revive the sequel... but the jedi Purge RPG has kinda done that for us. A fun sequel would be during the Galactic Civil War!

Boba Fettuccini
But here is what I'd really like to know: did you see the writing on the wall?
posted 12-30-06 09:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
DB, if I may be so bold, why isn't OR: Thread Remastered up there? Not only did it last longer then its predacessor, it featured much better writers and stories then the previous one. Not only that, it went alot smoother with none of the arguements that filled the first one.

Also, now, correct me if my chronology is wrong, but isn't the OR Thread: Remasteredthe first in a growing trend among RPG's to "reboot" themselves as opposed to making sequels? After OR Re, I remember seeing a plethora of such threads abounding.

Just my opinion. GOod history BTW, I really enjoyed it.

Sic Transit Gloria.

Merai: The fact that the Fourth Reich managed to blossom in SWU back in the summer before a mod FINALLY noticed what was going on just proves Dray, Blackie et al's point.
posted 12-30-06 10:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
How long did that take you to gather?

I congratulate you on this tribute to SWU Rpg's and think; How could anyone find time to do all that?

"It is my Duty. My Duty, as a complete, and utter bastard."~Arnold Judas Rimmer
"The real revolution starts with learning. If you're not angry, then you're not paying attention" - Tim McIlath
"We're All The PirateBay"
~~~~Evil_Cheese44221~~~~

posted 12-30-06 11:38 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Well, given that he was here for all of them, probably less time than you think.

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
posted 12-30-06 03:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Persia, thank you for pointing out OR:Remastered to me. For some reason I don't have it included in my notes. I'll add it soon - if it's alright with you I'll probably place it under the Modern Era section.

Cheese: Well since I've done this history style thread once before, some of the earlier information is recycled. However I went back and updated some descriptions. The longest part was researching the significant threads that came about since the last history thread as well as the events leading up to the Calendar's creation, etc.

posted 12-30-06 03:50 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Works for me DB.

Also, FYI, a sequel is scheduled to debut just after EB: Rezzed ends, and a fan fic, Chronicle of the Eriaduan Emperors is being writtwen to concide with the release of ORII. It stands around 30 pages so far.

Sic Transit Gloria.

Merai: The fact that the Fourth Reich managed to blossom in SWU back in the summer before a mod FINALLY noticed what was going on just proves Dray, Blackie et al's point.

[This message has been edited by Imperial_Persia (edited 12-30-2006 @ 03:50 PM).]

posted 12-31-06 08:21 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
I see, well, awesome. How long did it actually take you?

"It is my Duty. My Duty, as a complete, and utter bastard."~Arnold Judas Rimmer
"The real revolution starts with learning. If you're not angry, then you're not paying attention" - Tim McIlath
"We're All The PirateBay"
~~~~Evil_Cheese44221~~~~

posted 01-06-07 01:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Congratulations, suberb. Definatley worth a mention the the calender *gives credit to Melkor for mentioning it*.

Doctor FoO
posted 01-07-07 07:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
Good job. A few weeks before this was written, i actually went back in old threads to see the origin of the RPG.
FoO should stick this in the RPG calendar so its there for permanent reference.

A R C c a p t a i n
"Excuses are like noses. Everyone has them"-Tom Cavanaugh
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » History of the SWU RPG - Revised
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames