You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to having units on boats
posted 07 October 2009 08:05 PM EDT (US)   
Guide to units on boat

By Alex_Of_Macedon

Knowing how to make units appear on a ship is a good way to make original screenshots and cinematics. Here is a guide about how to have any unit you want on any ship.

You can see what it can give here:

Okay now first of all, you need water on an edge of the map.

Now, lower the ground elevation so that the water gets homogeneous.

Now, know that normally I turn all of the ground around the ship and under water into black ground, but right now to make it easier for you to see I won't make it black yet.

Once the water pool is all homogeneous, with not lighter areas where ground is more visible, you have to modify it so that when you'll be in your cinematic it doesn't look like this:

As you can see, on the screenshot above there's a big lighter part of water because it's sky we see through the water instead of the ground. Therefore, you must do the following. I saw that trick while looking at the maps for The Corruptor, Vandhaal had done this for the first act. First, you'll get ground near map edge out of water like this:

Then, you'll lower the rectangular edge island so that it becomes like this:

Now look at what it gives with the ground black like if it was supposed to be (I repeat that I am not turning ground black so you can see easily). Compare with earlier horizon shot, that one only has a thin black line, a lot better than the big lighter line.

Now that the horizon problem is fixed, time to start off the boat scenery. First, take the kind of boat you want to use and enlarge it to the desired size. After enlarging it make it move.

So as you can see, a lot of ships, especially triremes, will go float when enlarged. So unless you want to make a cinematic or screenshot about the Flying Dutchman, you must place under the sea level, while in middle of the sea. So first, you'll make a rectangular island the size of your ship and at the position you'll want your ship to be. The island should look like this:

Now lower elevation to dig the rectangular island like you had done at map edge. It'll look like this:

Now place your ship in the hole and adjust it at right height that way:

Notice that you see some land sticking out on the side of the ship, but when ground will be black it'll almost be unnoticeable.

Now, time to make the land spikes that will allow to place units. You want a large land spike all dull, so take elevation brush exactly as large as the rectangular hole and get it as high as maximum.

Now lower it (reduce elevation adjusting speed to be as precise as you can). You want to adjust it at a level where even if the ship rocks, you won't see land sticking out. The perfect height is when you only see some kind of shadow, like this:

Don't worry, this shadow only appears when camera is far, when camera is close you won't see the shadow.

Now do 1 or 2 other big spikes at other areas of the ship, but remmeber you can't make a spike at the "sensor area" of the ship, the area that if you increase elevation the ship will go higher as well.

Now that you made your spikes, you can start placing units! Place whathever unit you want, you can add fire if you want the ship to be incendied, etc. If you can't place them at the ship place them on the shore and drag them there.

Now see what it gives with land black.

Sea?(Pun intended) Almost unnoticeable, even though at the right side of the ship it is more visible, there'll usually be a side that's less visible than other, but I arranged it so that the less visible side is the one at which my camera tracks will look.

Anyway, now, last thing you need to add are waves to make look the ship advancing.

Now, everything's perfect for screenshots. But for cinematics there's one thing left: having the ship row without it moves. For this, I had asked how to do that in the question thread the first day I started designing, and here's a trick HailToTheOboe gave me.

First, you'll get the ship out of the island hole. Now, you must do some triggerwork.

Trigger 1:
Effect: Move to point
Source Units: The ship
Set Area: somewhere the ship will take some seconds to reach.

Trigger 2:
Loop: Yes
Must fire some seconds after Trigger 1 so that it happens while the ship is moving.
Effect: Set animation
Source unit: The Ship
Animation name: any random name that isn't a real animation
Loop: Yes

When a unit receives a looping set animation trigger with a fake animation name, if it was doing an animation such as attacking, healing or moving, it'll continue doing that animation untill you tell him to move somewhere or work on something.

So now, you got a ship continuously rowing without moving in middle of water. You have to teleport it in your hole island. So now,

Trigger 3:
Must fire after the ship reached its destination.
Effect: Teleport units
Source unit: the ship
Set area: you'll have to do a lot of trial and error, because it's hard to choose the exact right spot so that it teleports at exact right height and position. You'll have to playtest a lot and observe if it is too high or too low, and then choose the area in editor untill it's at the right height like explained earlier, with the land spikes shadows but where ground must not stick out.

Once it's done, you're finally ready to make a screenshot or cinematic happening on a boat.

LAST WORDS:

A lot of things can be done with these tricks, travel scenes, sea battles, boarding scenes, storms, etc. Try to be original, there are also other things you can do, such as overlapping different naval units to make a more complex ship, using bouncy camera tracks to make it seem being on strong waves, etc.

Good luck with your naval design!

-Alex_Of_Macedon

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great

[This message has been edited by Alex_Of_Macedon (edited 10-08-2009 @ 05:08 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07 October 2009 08:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Actually looks like a quality guide. Im impressed, and thats hard ot do, im picky. You should pack this up into a pdf file or something and put it up for download. And by the way, you taught me something new, thats amazing in itself.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 07 October 2009 08:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
You stabbed poor Kronos in the chest.

Nice guide, although I think we already have one in the Scenario Design library. *shrug* It's nice- but many people can perhaps do this by instinct; at least I did.

Nice guide though, keep em' coming.

posted 07 October 2009 08:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
Nice guide, although I think we already have one in the Scenario Design library
nah, I made sure to check first, I think you're mixing with Ships on land guide by nottud.

You said a lot of people do it but in factI never saw anyone else doing it exactly that way, I had seen some but they were slightly different and had some disadvantages.

Thanks for compliments guys

Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
posted 07 October 2009 08:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Great guide.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
posted 07 October 2009 09:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Veryyy Nice Alex.

One thing though,

I feel like im missing something obvious, but what does homogen mean?

shrink the pictures a little so they dont stretch everything.
posted 07 October 2009 09:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
cuz of imageshack I had not much dimension choice, smaller would have been to small to see all details.

Dang, homogen is an english word right?

Like, how do we say an english when a mixture has an even repartition of different substancies that are part of the mixture and where only 1 phase is visible?

[This message has been edited by Alex_Of_Macedon (edited 10-07-2009 @ 09:25 PM).]

posted 07 October 2009 09:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Well all I know is that Microsoft word doesnt mark it as a spelling error, but doesnt have a definition for it if you look it up :P

Couldnt find it on google either

Or on Webster without subscribing. ITs probably an English word. rooted in latin or something

homo=same
gen=idk... level?
posted 07 October 2009 09:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
I checked on wikipedia, I transformed it to english thinking it'd be "homogen" but it is "homogeneous".

Anway, what I mean is that water must not have lighter parts, like in the first screenshot.

posted 07 October 2009 11:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Nice.
When a unit receives a looping set animation trigger with a fake animation name, if it was doing an animation such as attacking, healing or moving, it'll continue doing that animation untill you tell him to move somewhere or work on something.
Actually, even if you tell the unit to do something else, he hangs onto that same animation.

The main flaw with this that I see is that when you animate the ship, it rocks as it rows, but the units who are standing on level ground don't rock with it.

You can also use the trireme's cinematic animations to help with this, it enlarges it, makes it row, and puts a few units on the deck already, and you can add more.
posted 07 October 2009 11:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Nice guide dude, although it is commonly used...the units that Hail was talking about earlier that they stand still and do not sway with the boat is not good and gives away the effect, if you get what I mean?

All in all, very effective guide for N00Bs or new comers in better text! lol! ;D

|MEMORY|
posted 08 October 2009 07:21 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Ya when I make a cinematic using units on a trireme I use the trireme's animation to not make it rock, but I can't do that with a longboat or a juggernaut per instance.

I think I'll add a link to my cinematic Vinland Saga in the thread to give some kind of example, it could be useful, I also noticed someone who just sees the title and click doesn't know exactly what the guide is about untill end lol

And you're right, it is commonly used, but a slightly different way. I never saw anyone putting the boat in a hole so that camera can look around the ship without seeing the scenery, I have seen some people doing it but they all used a way that they could about only have camera looking at deck unless they used trireme cinematic animation, but they couldn't look around the ship without seeing scenery if it wasn't a cinematic ships.

Also I should add in my guide that depending what ship you're using, it will go float higher or lower in the airs, like per instance I remember longboats will only float about 1 or 2 meters in the air (Enough of course to make you want to put it in a hole) while triremes go higher than 5 metres(But you can use cinematic animation)

[This message has been edited by Alex_Of_Macedon (edited 10-08-2009 @ 08:14 AM).]

posted 08 October 2009 10:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Looks like a great guide and good job on impaling Kronos. I guess that was his punishment for using imageshack, eh ?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 08 October 2009 11:05 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
well

I knew thatlong time ago, actually The Vandhaal gave me that idea. But I got a problem, that the ship always dissapears as soon as I reload the scenario or try to test it.

KingUndergroundKing
posted 08 October 2009 11:48 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Ugh, use cinematic wake, not the waves. Waves do NOT make it look like the ship is advancing.

By the way, I thought floating units always returned to ground level as soon as you task them to move...

The horizon thing is pretty well explained.
posted 08 October 2009 03:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Well done! I didn't know the trick of the animation

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
posted 08 October 2009 04:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
The floating in this case is caused by the enlargement of the ship, so it'll float permanently but it doesn't "really" float. It merely appears to be.

Honourary Mention in the 2006 Pretty Town Contest
A Unique Age of Mythology Experience:
A Trip to Talos
It's f*cking awesome
posted 08 October 2009 04:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
I guess that was his punishment for using imageshack, eh
I didn't understand yet how photobucket works for size and how to get directly to the image shame on me for using imageshack.
I knew thatlong time ago, actually The Vandhaal gave me that idea
I remember seeing him doing this trick, are you thinking of the fiship ship in The Corruptor where they get the heroes in the roc tent? Yeah, he kinda used same trick, but as a fishing ship doesn't go float when enlarged he didn't need to put it below sea level by making a hole island. Most of war ships go float high though, like the trireme in the shot.

And you say your ship disapears after playtest or reloading? Hmmm, when this kind of thing happen to me, in editor I transform the ship to a unit, and I add a transform trigger during the game to make the unit turn into a ship again.

And no, the ships continue flying after moving, I don't exactly know why.

Thanks for comments guys.

So who's next to make a guide? Everybody's making guides recently, dunno why

[This message has been edited by Alex_Of_Macedon (edited 10-08-2009 @ 05:03 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A guide to having units on boats
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: