Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Member Of The Month: August 2009
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01 September 2009 03:30 AM EDT (US)   
This recipient is certainly long overdue, at last, Mythic_Freak steps up to claim Member Of The Month! Unfortunately, no pictures this time.

Yeebaagooon: Greetings, Mythic_Freak, and welcome to this interview.
Mythic_Freak: Hi, is this official yet?

Yeebaagooon: Indeed it is, everything you do is being recorded by a cherub on the wall . So at HG you're mainly known as a coding person, how did you get started?
Mythic_Freak: Well, I've actually played AoM:TT ever since it came out. I used to play aoe 2 before. Soon after I found ESO and started to play online. Well, obviously that was a pretty big fail, I dropped to 1500 pretty fast. After that something wonderful happened, I found the advanced games tab! And more specifically zelda games. Finally I found a place where I could win. From there on I've started experimenting little by little with AoM coding, in the first place to enhance my gameplay. That means mostly hotkey programming. I think I got my first post on a forum ever recorded somewhere, let me search that... http://web.archive.org/web/20060114084723/www.rtscentral.com/readTopic.asp?PostingId=1689892
As you can see, totally noob and terrible English. :-O

Yeebaagooon: Oh noes. Well you have certainly come a long way since then. Now your first upload was a user.con file with a lot of new hotkeys - so what did that involve?
Mythic_Freak: Well, the period before HG mainly involved trying new things with hotkeys. Over the years I had built up quite a large amount of those custom hotkeys. When I joined HG, obviously with the intention to get to know more about hotkeys..., invent00r was so kind to help me out. Later he encouraged me to post that file because it could be of good use to many other players.

Yeebaagooon: And I take it a friendship with invent00r blossomed from there?
Mythic_Freak: Well, it took a while but that was indeed to starting point of a very interesting friendship. After a while we started to chat outside HG and we helped each other a bit on each others' projects. After a while we also started planning some projects together.

Yeebaagooon: Most people (including myself) will regard the trigger loader as your most prolific release. So what made it possible and how did you do it?
Mythic_Freak: It was indeed one of our biggest projects. Most of the code that went into that had been around for quite a while longer though. We just decided to bundle everything together in 1 super trigger in order to provide a standardised way of accessing most useful functions. The size of the file seemed to scare quite a few people though. And I guess most scenario designers still have no clue what it actually does. But I've noticed trigger makers use it plenty, so I'm happy with that.

Yeebaagooon: We all know about it being used for circle triggers, but what else can it be used for, and what do you think would be a really great use for it?
Mythic_Freak: Oooh, tough question. As terrible as it may sound, I actually never used triggers much or created scenarios at all. I'm not really an artist who comes up with beautiful eye candy or fancy stories. I just do the math behind everything. That being said I have no clue what kind of fancy triggers the community wants, but I do know that - if they're possible - it'll be far easier to create them with our trigger loader. So if you think of anything dandy, just enter the Trigger Request Thread and we'll let you know if your awesome idea is possible!

Yeebaagooon: I also believe you have some XS and RMS skills too?
Mythic_Freak: Indeed, as soon as I joined HG, invent00r hooked me up with AI scripting and the likes. Now, obviously that meant I had to try creating a zelda AI of some kind. I never managed to complete it though. But on the way, I learned a lot about scripting basics and XS scripting in general. Once you know 1 part, it's pretty easy to jump over to the next. In my case I made the jump from AI to trigger coding and RMS. Yes... that means a zelda RMS. I sort of managed to complete that, although it's never been officially released.

Yeebaagooon: I'm sure that would be very popular on ESO these days, however you have released a tiny RMS. Any plans for more?
Mythic_Freak: Right, the Tiny RMS, almost forgot about it. :P Well, it might sound weird, but zelda becomes boring after a while. So from time to time I play tiny. With all the different versions popping up (1v1, 2v2, 3v3), I just couldn't stand it any longer and made an RMS where you could have any amount of players. I see the map frequently hosted, so I guess people like it.

But as I said earlier, I'm not really good at thinking up new story lines or map settings. So if I release another RMS it'll most likely be an improved copy of some fun scenario.

Yeebaagooon: Excellent. So what is your typical day like?
Mythic_Freak: Well, on regular school days I usually get up at 8am, have breakfast and get ready to leave. Next month I'll be starting my 3rd bachelor computer science at uni. The courses are boring sometimes, but with some friends along you'll easily make it through the day. On average, the day ends somewhere at 4:30pm. Then I go home, check AOMH and any other AoT related site that's interesting at the moment. After that I have dinner, chat up with a couple of friends and if I have some time left I check out ESO. The gaps in between are filled randomly with complicated computer stuff I better to go into detail about, it's been boring enough so far . In the holidays my days include a lot of sleeping and finishing tasks I've never gotten around during the year.

Yeebaagooon: Yes, we do love the holidays. But alas, our time weigns. Is there anything else you'd like to say to the community?
Mythic_Freak: Let me think... Well, I've played AoT for pretty long now, and I don't think I would've lasted so long if it wasn't for the nice, albeit small, community we have left. So everyone, just keep it up!

Yeebaagooon: Thanks for taking part.
Mythic_Freak: Thanks for the honour!

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 09-01-2009 @ 09:05 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01 September 2009 03:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 34  
Congrats

"Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired"
72% of people agree with me when I say 28% of people disagree with me.
"I'll remove the clit at the end" - Rotaretilbo
" I just snapped off my penis thinking it was a nk" - BeezleBub
"Im a transexual STFU" - Briguy
posted 01 September 2009 03:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 34  
Nice work.
posted 01 September 2009 06:40 AM EDT (US)     3 / 34  
Congrats Mythic!

<3
posted 01 September 2009 06:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 34  
Congrats
posted 01 September 2009 07:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34  
posted 01 September 2009 08:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34  
Thanks again! I was a bit tired the day you took the interview, so I couldn't really think of any witty comments.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.
Master XS - AoM Code Reference - Trigger Loader - Trigger Requests - Chess

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak

[This message has been edited by Mythic_Freak (edited 09-01-2009 @ 09:06 AM).]

posted 01 September 2009 09:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34  
*Thumbs up*

I was also astounded.
posted 01 September 2009 10:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 34  
Congratulations, Mythic.

I can see now that there is not a truly methodical priority to who is chosen because you should have been honored with this a while ago, IMO. I've already overstated how much the 'people behind the scenes' like Mythic should be appreciated much more than they are and I would like to thank you for the help you have given me while I learn to work the XS language. I also like your 'very interesting' relationship with Invent00r. You two are always correcting each other when I see you both posting. You both are like an old couple sometimes

So congratulations, good luck on the Computer Science degree and I hope you keep hanging around here....

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 01 September 2009 10:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 34  
*applauds*
Goed vir jou! (translated from english to Afrikaans using google translator)

Well deserved, Mythic Freak. Now if we have a celebration party for this with beers, it would be nice...
posted 01 September 2009 11:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 34  
heheh well deserved Mythic_Freak ^.^ the honour is ours
posted 01 September 2009 11:21 AM EDT (US)     11 / 34  
Good job .

I need to think of a new sig.
posted 01 September 2009 12:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 34  
Ah, my favourite Belgian. Nice job Mythic.

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
>>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
>>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
posted 01 September 2009 12:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 34  
ABOUT TIME

Congratulations, Freak!
what else can it be used for, and what do you think would be a really great use for it?
- easy to use math functions (such as trigonometry, for circles)
- quest var vectors - if people used QV vectors, you could eliminate the need for 20-30% of other custom effects (basically anything that involves "at unit")
- qv strings and arrays - more esoteric than vectors I guess, but they certainly have uses.
- all of the extra commands that are designed to make programming simpler - unfortunately, I have not made good use of these ones just because it is often easiest to build a new trigger based on the structure of an old pre-loader trigger.

It is a very great tool, I just wish it came earlier while more trigger greats were around to use it.
posted 01 September 2009 02:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34  
I can see now that there is not a truly methodical priority to who is chosen because you should have been honored with this a while ago, IMO.
I surely was more active last summer, but I've had this honour now, so it'll all ok.
I also like your 'very interesting' relationship with Invent00r. You two are always correcting each other when I see you both posting. You both are like an old couple sometimes
Haha, I never looked at it that way, but it may contain some truth. We often have discussions about what would be the best approach, and we don't usually agree very quickly.
I was trying to find a better wording there, but I couldn't find any.
So congratulations, good luck on the Computer Science degree and I hope you keep hanging around here....
Thanks, I'm kinda sad it's only a 5 year program actually, I'm really enjoying this period. ^^
*applauds*
Goed vir jou! (translated from english to Afrikaans using google translator)

Well deserved, Mythic Freak. Now if we have a celebration party for this with beers, it would be nice...
Afrikaans? Well that's close but I just speak dutch though.
Beer? Plenty of beer here, this is Belgium you know!

@HailToTheOboe: ah, good to see someone knows actually knows a use! *writes down*

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak

[This message has been edited by Mythic_Freak (edited 09-01-2009 @ 02:12 PM).]

posted 01 September 2009 04:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34  
Indeed it was about time! Many congrantz to you! I don't want to make this a lame post. So I'm keeping it short. (Tho Erich always gets very enthusiast when one of us gets awarded or recognized!).

My gift for you - invent00rs Mythic_Freak Victory Song as a congratulations gift.

I too hope you keep doing things for AoM and this community even tho you have a very busy and lazy life! You're very talented. Almost as good as me. .
-invent00r

My Work: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WIP: Master XS Battle Micro AI
Paused: AI (%4.247)
Os segredos săo de quem os souber guardar.
posted 01 September 2009 05:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 34  
Oooh, nice. ^^ Although the piano version sounds a lot better! *looks at elrichs post...* ah well.
I too hope you keep doing things for AoM and this community even tho you have a very busy and lazy life! You're very talented.
I'm not that lazy! I just have many important things to do, including sleeping.

posted 01 September 2009 09:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 34  
ANOTHER ONE GOES BY. SOON IT WILL BE MINE.

Hey nice job.
posted 01 September 2009 09:00 PM EDT (US)     18 / 34  
Congrats Mr Mythic.

ValorStudios
<==========]==0
posted 01 September 2009 09:13 PM EDT (US)     19 / 34  
posted 01 September 2009 09:28 PM EDT (US)     20 / 34  
good job, certainly deserved it. Yeah, he seems simaler to inventoor in alot of ways. I sometimes mix up the two. So whats the story with inventoor?

You know, on the topic of good trigger coders and stuff, I really think that HailtotheOboe deserves this alot.;

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 02 September 2009 02:11 AM EDT (US)     21 / 34  
Congratulations and don't worry about few witty commments. I would not be able to thik of any on a good day :P
posted 02 September 2009 05:01 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34  
Allé, dit manneke verdient dit volledig éh. Gefeliciteerd dikzak!
posted 02 September 2009 12:01 PM EDT (US)     23 / 34  
I'm going to have to agree.....what kind of name is Yeebaagooon?

Also, congratultions to Mr. Mythic Freak.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 02 September 2009 03:52 PM EDT (US)     24 / 34  
Allé, dit manneke verdient dit volledig éh. Gefeliciteerd dikzak!
Heheh, nogmaals proficiat Mythische_Freak ;p
Wist niet dat het toegestaan was dus ik denk laat ik ook maar ff mee doen
posted 02 September 2009 04:51 PM EDT (US)     25 / 34  
Fo if you're before me I'll go mad.

ninjapenguin981
I AM THE ALMIGHTY ETERNAL LOSER SISSY BOY
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Member Of The Month: August 2009
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames