Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mapmaking Tournament 2009 - 1v1
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 01-31-09 00:21 AM EDT (US)   
*** THE CHALLENGE ***

The assignment is simple.
Make the best 1v1 tournament map in the world.

Conditions - this map needs to be:
- the only map you submit.
- of a SMALL SIZE only.
- playable as 1 vs 1.
- original, so do not use existing maps.
- made by you, and you alone, using the upatch-1.4.
- in English.
- open to criticism and revision, as it may be used for an upcoming 1-v-1 pbem tournament.
- As balanced as you can, this means that each playable Wizard should have an approximately equal chance of winning.

For the rest, everything is up to you! You can have 3 or 1 levels, as many events and story as you like, million custom heroes/Wizards, AI Wizards or not, etc, etc...

*** THE WINNER ***
The winning map will be 100% sure used in the final for the 1v1 singles pbem tournament starting in the summer of 2009. We may also use this map in the first rounds.
Furthermore, you can proudly wear the title '1v1 Mapmaking Champion 2009' in your sig, forever.

The second and third ranked maps will also be certain to be used in the tournament. The remaining maps may also be used, but have no guarantees.

*** REGISTERING ***

Please sign up for this tournament by expressing your interest in this thread and posting your email (This way I can send reminders for the deadline). You can sign up anytime before the deadline to submit.

Contestants:
- NTJedi: 1_Choice
- King David: Blackheart and Goodfella's war
- Dreaming: Colors of Black…
- Needles: Desolation Domination (5-th place)
- Morgull666: Menzoberranzan vs Mithral Hall
- Fubarno: Minions of Gruumsh
- LordDuck: Mountain of the Gods
- Nyarlathotep: Road to Hell
- KillKenny: Rocky Divide (3-rd place)
- The Groll: The Gods Arena of Magic and Power (4-th place)
- Rheno: The Lion The Witch and the Warfare (2-nd place)
- iBobs: There Might be Blood
- Arbiter Mundi: Thiboon Delirium
- Timelord: Too much water (1-st place)

*** SUBMISSION AND TIMELINE ***

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT COMPLETED MAP: APRIL 1st

Please submit to: swolte@heavengames.com
(Don't send questions there, I will only check this account once a month)

1) The Map
Please send the .ahm file (doesn't need to be zipped). I recommend NOT to put your name in the map so at least three judges have no idea who the mapmaker is and be (unconsciously) influenced.

2) -- OPTIONAL -- Balance statement of testing -- OPTIONAL --
This is an honor-statement in a text file where you can explain how you have tested the map for balance purposes (no need to submit one if you aren't testing). Playing for more than 12 days counts as one testing session. You can indicate how many times you have tested and in what fashion (see example below in the FAQ).
It's up to each judges' discretion how much value they attach to these statements for their score on 'Balance'.

*** THE JUDGING ***

- Who will judge?

- Kokor Hekkes (aka, Menno Sas, your AoW1+AoW2 Triumph Studios developer: mapdesign + balancing)
- Swolte (Your Seraph)
- Enginerd (Your Angel)
- Dafyth (Your expert pbem player)

- What will the maps be judged on?
The maps will be judged on these three characteristics at face value:

Balance
This design basically answers the question: "would you take a challenge playing either Wizard?"
- Are there any unfair advantages for one Wizard?
- Does one side have more opportunity to exploit AI than the other?
Note that a map doesn't need to be symmetrical in order to be balanced. You can be quite creative here.

Playability
This design determines whether a map is fun to play? Is there something unique.creative in the design of the map that makes the gameplay stand out? Is it too predictable, or unpredictable? Would it take too long for you, or too short? Is it too hard, or too easy?

Atmosphere
This design determines how the map feels to play. Can you relate to the Wizard/Heroes? How creative is the landscape and special areas? Are there events or special signs that add to the atmosphere? A story?

*** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ***

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I will put them up here with the answers.

What does a statement of testing look like?
A statement of testing should give a judge a quick impression.

This is an example:
---------------------------------
STATEMENT OF TESTING
Map: The Depths.

Map playtested against myself (5 times)
Map playtested with friend (1 times)
Map playtested by testers (1 times)

(Provide links if there were actual threads)

Relevant comments: Big Archon main starting city does not allow building of Saints.
----------------------------------

Isn't the statement of testing flawed and unfair?
The main purpose of this statement is to motivate people to actually test their maps. It is also a way to appreciate those mapmakers who do test.

However, the judges can now also take this into account at their discretion. It will simply be unrealistic time-wise to judge balance on the basis of playing the map once as a judge. There is a lot an experienced eye can see. Keep in mind that if, for example, the map has a lot of events, and is quite asymmetrical, a judge may put more value on the presence of such a statement than when the map is quite straightforward and doesn't need much testing.

However, it is an honor statement and people can indeed lie, and exaggerate. Not to mention that the amount of testing doesn't mean the map is actually balanced better. Please bear in mind that the judges will be (made) aware of this as well.

No points are subtracted from NOT having such a statement.

Will the scores of my map be made public?
The idea is that we will only make public a top 5 ranking of maps without scores. Average scores (from all 4 judges per map) are available upon request after the judging.

Can I still change my map after the mapmaking tournament for the pbem tournament?
YES! If your map will be chosen for the upcoming pbem tournament you will receive feedback to make it even better. If you don't have time to fix things, the tournament organizers will make a tournament version of your map and use this.

Can my map get disqualified?
Yes, your risk disqualification if your map does not adhere to any of the conditions listed at the top. Ultimately, the judges decide what to do in such situations.

Why ONLY small maps? I have too many cool ideas and they don't fit!
Sorry, this particular mapmaking tournament is specifically designed for an upcoming 1v1 pbem tournament. Allowing medium maps would take too long to finish, even though these can be more interesting. Another reason is that its a very manageable size for our overambitious, and beginner mapmakers. A short but intense time to mapmake is usually best and keeps things fun!
FFA mapmaking tournaments allowing for larger sizes will certainly follow in the future.

Will my map be played blind?
('Blind' means that the players will not look at the map in the editor before the tournament starts).

No. In the case where knowledge can have influence on the outcome of the game, it is tricky, especially with the eye on the upcoming tournament. We cannot realize people playing the map blind for several reasons. First of all, there is no way we can really ensure that people don't know. Second, the judges will also want to play in the subsequent tournament. Third, maps may be played simultaneously in rounds so that earlier logs may betray crucial secrets to others .Fourth, the mapmakers themselves may be participating in the tournament.

Can I use SEM?
Yes. SEM stands for 'Standard Editor Mod' which is a tool designed by JamieJME. It is not a mod in the traditional sense, but it can aid in applying cool tricks to existing maps.
Check it out here

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 05-03-2009 @ 09:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-31-09 06:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 141  
Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot I think.
posted 01-31-09 07:15 AM EDT (US)     2 / 141  
I'd like to sing up
posted 01-31-09 09:27 AM EDT (US)     3 / 141  
Hmmmn, even for a small map the timeline may be a challenge for me (I'm VERY slow...) but I can't pass up the opportunity to be utterly humiliated by all the fine mapmakers that have sprung up here in the last few years, (on top of all the excellent veterans we already had.)

Count me in and let the trash talking commence!

Let's review those conditions though:

"1. The only map you submit" - are you kidding? You'll be lucky to get THIS one!
"2. Of a small size only" - Again no problem - heck, I might go you one better and only submit a mini map!
"3. Playable as 1 v 1" - 1 vs. 1 I can do, playable however...(have you SEEN the reviews of my maps?)
"4. Original" - Oh crap...
"5. Made by you and you alone" - see response to #4
"6. In English" - uh, is American close enough?
"7. Open to Criticism" - Story of my life, Swolte dear!
"8. As balanced as you can" - Shoot, I was just gonna put two Wizards on a plain green field - can't get more balanced than that!

Winner "Miss Congeniality Award" in the 2009 AoWSM map making tournament!
Proud author "Across the Wyrding Sea" (1.1 out of 5!)
posted 01-31-09 09:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 141  
@Needles - lol, I can't wait to judge your map
posted 01-31-09 11:43 AM EDT (US)     5 / 141  
Just out of curiousity. Which races would be best to use for such a map? I am thinking about dracs against Tigrans but not sure if this is wise.

Alternatively I figure dwarfs vs goblins or Elfs vs DE. are these equal parties?
posted 01-31-09 01:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 141  
Iīm currently analysing whether the concept that had always been in the back of my mind (and again would be quite an ambitous (and thus time-consuming ) project...) could be realized in a small map and in the given time. Should I come to this conclusion (or maybe I stumble upon another outstanding, second to none-original idea ) then Iīll sign in.

1vs1 ?!
I assume, that this does NOT necessarily mean, that there have to be exactly two wizards but that there could be more, the others being played by the AI then, right?

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
posted 01-31-09 01:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 141  
Yes, as long as it is playable as a 1v1, you can attempt to put 6 AI Wizards in there for all I care.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 01-31-09 01:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 141  
"lol, I can't wait to judge your map"

Did I mention my strategy for winning is based on bribing early and often? Lessee, I can offer two postage stamps (first class!), half a pack of cough drops that have been in my jacket pocket an indeterminate length of time, and one "get out of jail free" card from an old monopoly game.

On a relatively serious note - will the players in the tournament be playing the maps blind? The answer may impact how I implement something on my map.

Thanks

Winner "Miss Congeniality Award" in the 2009 AoWSM map making tournament!
Proud author "Across the Wyrding Sea" (1.1 out of 5!)

[This message has been edited by Needles (edited 01-31-2009 @ 01:06 PM).]

posted 01-31-09 01:15 PM EDT (US)     9 / 141  
That is a good point, Needles (that last one ).

In the case where knowledge can have influence on the outcome of the game, it is tricky, especially with the eye on the future. I think we cannot realize people playing the map blind. First of all, there is no way we can really ensure that people don't know... Second, the judges will also want to play in the subsequent tournament (heavens, I have to honor my title! - points at sig -). Third, maps may be played simultaneously in rounds so that earlier logs may betray crucial secrets.

posted 01-31-09 01:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 141  
Contestants:
- Timelord
- Rheno
- Lordduck
- Needles
Excellent so far, good luck guys!

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
posted 01-31-09 02:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 141  
First of all, there is no way we can really ensure that people don't know... Second, the judges will also want to play in the subsequent tournament (heavens, I have to honor my title! - points at sig -). Third, maps may be played simultaneously in rounds so that earlier logs may betray crucial secrets.
Fourth, the mapmakers themselves will be participating in the tournament (so far, everyone who's signed up plays PBEM - except Needles)

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 01-31-09 05:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 141  
I think a clue to this contest is in the deadline for submitting the map.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 01-31-09 08:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 141  
Oh well, why not give it a try ?

Let's see if a deadline will make me actually finish one map...

But 2 months is indeed very, very short for slow people like me...

E-mail : chascal at gmail dot com
posted 02-01-09 04:16 AM EDT (US)     14 / 141  
Iīm also in.
Iīll do something I also always had in my mind and which I already did in the master of chaos map but only half-heartedly and from fun-perspective.
The S-map-size is perfectly suited for it.

Iīll leave the other project for another time, will need an own mod again anyway...

posted 02-02-09 00:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 141  
I think I might give it a go, so count me in.
posted 02-02-09 01:39 AM EDT (US)     16 / 141  
Queen El?? I haven't seen you in AGES! Good to see you again!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 02-02-09 01:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 141  
Yes indeed, a mapmaker that has created some of the best maps ever to grace our download section... be interesting to see whether you still have the gift... been such a long time...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 02-02-09 07:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 141  
Oh man, look at those contestants... Rheno, Morgul, Elquein... I'm almost afraid to compete against these juggernauts of mapmaking. Almost :evilgrin:

So if somebody could pm me the email-adress to where I have sign in for the contest?

I'll show you that mapmaking without events is also possible, muhahahahaaa!

Proud mapmaker for the UPatch team
One gas to rule them all, One gas to find them
One gas to bring them all and with the Spice we bind them
Creator of the following maps: RenaissanceEarth, RoadToHell, YeOfLittleFaith, FrostbiteDelirium, Stormy Seas
Co-creator for: CityDwellers
together with TravisII
posted 02-02-09 08:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 141  
That's the spirit, very brave of you!

No need for email, by posting here you have just enlisted, Nyarlathotep.

posted 02-03-09 08:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 141  
Swolte, sign me in please.
posted 02-03-09 09:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 141  
I'm almost afraid to compete against these juggernauts of mapmaking. Almost :evilgrin:
well, we already clarified that this contest is basically about bribing and not mapmaking... Iīm currently trying to best Needles` pack of turned-to-stone coughing drops but I canīt think of something more exquisite currently...

posted 02-03-09 02:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 141  
Just out of curiousity. Which races would be best to use for such a map? I am thinking about dracs against Tigrans but not sure if this is wise.
Alternatively I figure dwarfs vs goblins or Elfs vs DE. are these equal parties?
Those you mentioned are the classic conflicts, like Archons vs Undead. Always fun to play of course, but, perhaps you would find some originality by creating new duos, like, Frostlings vs Undead, or Archons vs Humans.

posted 02-06-09 12:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 141  
I started working on something for this contest so sign me up. Less than 2 months to finish will be a challenge though, particularly with testing for balance. No promises....

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
Download these maps I have made...
Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 02-06-09 12:29 PM EDT (US)     24 / 141  
Those you mentioned are the classic conflicts, like Archons vs Undead. Always fun to play of course, but, perhaps you would find some originality by creating new duos, like, Frostlings vs Undead, or Archons vs Humans.
I think a Dwarves vs Elves map would be fun...

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 02-09-09 11:39 AM EDT (US)     25 / 141  

Questions:

1) I see the map says 1 vs 1... but are we allowed to add AI player opponents?

2) What type of events are banned? (Change Race Relations?; Spawn Independents? Quests?)

3) Can we setup a victory condition such as conquer the other persons capital? or return item X to location Y?

4) Are areas in the shadow world allowed since some races don't suffer from shadow sickness?

5) Which Advanced Map Settings are we allowed to Turn_Off? (Build Outpost?; Teleporation Gate?; etc., etc.,)

6) Are we allowed to create custom heroes and/or custom items?

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 02-09-2009 @ 11:41 AM).]

posted 02-09-09 12:16 PM EDT (US)     26 / 141  
@NTJedi, unless I am reading the OP and prior posts wrong, here are the answers -

1) You can have as many AI opponents as you wish.
2) None
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Your choice
6) Yes

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
posted 02-09-09 12:27 PM EDT (US)     27 / 141  
All those questions are answered in the OP.

posted 02-09-09 08:06 PM EDT (US)     28 / 141  
Argh, some people just read the header...

Yes, basically make the most ideal tournament map you would play. Few constraints (only some).

Is that a sign up, NTJedi?

posted 02-10-09 02:28 AM EDT (US)     29 / 141  
I am in.
posted 02-10-09 07:52 PM EDT (US)     30 / 141  
Is that a sign up, NTJedi?
Yes, place me on the list... I've started creating a map and it's too late to turn back now.

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 02-10-2009 @ 07:53 PM).]

posted 02-10-09 08:46 PM EDT (US)     31 / 141  
Aw, hell... I've never made a small map before and I surely don't have time for anything larger... Sign me up

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

posted 02-10-09 10:05 PM EDT (US)     32 / 141  
All signed up!

posted 02-16-09 08:24 AM EDT (US)     33 / 141  
I'll give a map a try.
Would like to play too in the tournament.
posted 02-25-09 04:24 PM EDT (US)     34 / 141  
Swolte, it would be great to have a thread where we could read about the progress of the Contestants, the storyline of the maps, etc.

They could use that thread also to make bluffs or to show off

posted 02-25-09 04:51 PM EDT (US)     35 / 141  
The problem with that thread would be that the anonymity is lost and that can influence judges one way or the other

posted 02-25-09 05:55 PM EDT (US)     36 / 141  
Trust me, when I am done with my map there will be no case of anonymity. The judges will look at my map, and it will be so perfect, so beautifull, so balanced that it will bring tears to their eyes. They will weep and say: "this map is so perfect, this can only be the work of Rheno.

****stops daydreaming and goes back to thinking of a good idea for the map.****
posted 02-25-09 06:29 PM EDT (US)     37 / 141  
I cannot stop people from starting such a thread, but yes, as Timelord says, it may compromise the anonymity.

But if you feel it motivates, please do go ahead!

posted 02-25-09 07:19 PM EDT (US)     38 / 141  
The problem with that thread would be that the anonymity is lost and that can influence judges one way or the other
You are right , did not think about that.
But if you feel it motivates, please do go ahead!
It probably would, but I can't ignore the risk you mentioned.

LOL, Rheno.
posted 02-26-09 01:19 AM EDT (US)     39 / 141  
Given the theme and various other details of my map, I would be highly astonished if any judge who knows my maps and those on which I participated, would NOT directly identify it as Morgulīs handwriting
But I hope nobody expected us mapmakers to re-invent ourselves in 2 months...
Although I have to say Iīm extremely amazed how fast a small map is filled (even a detailed one ) so as usual, the issue to finish it on time will be event-driven...

BTW: Did anybody include the fact, that Feb only has 28days in the timeline-calculation? I assume, the final date should thus be April 3rd rather than April 1st, right?

posted 02-26-09 08:50 PM EDT (US)     40 / 141  
I know certain people literally draw their names on their maps in terrain, but I must say that its harder than you think. I have been judging before, and was certain about particular maps being made by particular authors, but turned out to be very wrong...

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Mapmaking Tournament 2009 - 1v1
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames