Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mod Maps: a list of maps specifically made for mods
posted 04-14-07 04:04 PM EDT (US)   
I thought it might be a good idea if we had a list of all maps made for use in mods such as Dwiggs, Brave New World etc. The idea is that if you've made a map for a mod, you can post the title here. We've got so many good mods, it would be nice to have some custom maps for them too. NOTE: If any of these maps don't load with the lastest mod rule sets, just open the map in the editor with the newest mod version selected in AoWSMsetup. Save the map, ideally under a new name. Then play with the latest rule set.

Ok, I thought the first mod should be Black Rose's Lord of the Rings Mod and Map, the most downloaded map and rule set for AoW:SM. You can get both here:

Lord of the Rings - BlackRose
......Battle of Azanulbizar - BlackRose

Brave New World - Kirky Picardo
......Aliens Attack - bubbaspud
......Overwhelming Evil - bubbaspud
......Blackthorne - PaladinSmith
......Ghost Love Score - Lucian23
......The Ring - Lucian23
......The Hobbit - Lucian23
......The Lost Sea - Impudent Domain
......Song of 4 Seasons - FTiger777
......BNW 3.2 Centralaeon - Roger
......BNW 3.2 Last Dwarf - Roger
......Eredita di merlino for BNW3.2 Act 1 the raise of legendary chief - Lord Mykola88
......Distraction - Fat Captain
......Brave New Riverland World for BNW 3.2 - surface only, fixed starting positions - TalonThorn
......Brave New Riverland World for BNW 3.2 - surface/underground, "random" start - Roger/TalonThorn
......BNW 3.2 Threesome - Roger
......Vikings BNW3 - Tendril
......Queens & Heroes - Falconhurst
......Eberhart - King Niki
......BNW 3.2 Blood Isles MP - Roger
......BNW 3.2 Revenge of the Magic Servants - Roger
......BNW 3.2 Glorious Lands - The A M
......BNW 3.2 Orb of Dreams MP - Arbiter Mundi, tweaked by Roger

Dwiggs mod - Stranger/Dwiggs
......Vikings - Tendril
......Life and Death - Mitch1989
......4play - Roger (Multiplayer map for 4 players)
......Rise of Dwiggs - Swolte, edited by Roger (Multiplayer map for 8 players)
......Kinetic Connundrum - S BattleAxe
......Horseshoe Bend Falls - Bigben34 and Dwiggs (Multiplayer map for 6 players)
......Rise of the Lizards - Swolte and King David, edited by The Stranger
......Four Against the Darkness - Kaskoid and The Stranger
......3play - Roger (Multiplayer map for 3 players)
...... Dwiggs Tardis - Roger (3vs1 multiplayer map)
......Second Chance - Ecthelion_21 (Multiplayer map for 4 players)
......Dwiggs Mister X - Roger (Multiplayer map for 4 players)
......Dwiggs 5a After The Flood - Roger (Multiplayer map for 5 players)

100 Units Mod - Magog
......A Dying World - Magog
......Psymon and the Saucer - Magog

Age of Glorantha - RosenMcStern
......Dragon Pass (comes with mod)
......Lankst - RosenMcStern
......Undead Threat - Tendril
......Baptism of Fire - cigogne

Wizards & Heroes - Webusver
......Front Lines - Webusver
......Demo huge - Webusver
......Demo small - Webusver
......Warlords - Webusver

AoW1 Mod - PawelS
......Kayland - The Groll

Children of Many Ages Special Edition Mod - Griffith#1
......Blackwater Lake - Roger

Please note: as long as you have the latest version of the mod in question, it makes no difference which version of the mod the map was made for. Let's suppose you have downloaded Horseshoe Falls, you have Dwiggs 5.0 selected in AoWSMSetup, and the map won't run, this should solve the problem:
1) Make sure you have Dwiggs 5.0 selected in AoWSMSetup
2) Open the editor
3) Open the map, in this case Horseshoe Falls
4) Click once on any piece of terrain
5) Save the map, if you want you can give it a different name
6) Lo and behold, as if by magic, the map works!

I'm sure there are more maps for the various mods, so please post those that I've missed

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider

[This message has been edited by RogerRabid (edited 07-02-2010 @ 08:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-29-07 08:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Roger what about your map? 3PlayDwiggs!

I'm about to play that right now with 2 friends I think it should be on the list!

-SB
posted 05-30-07 01:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
These lists need further subdividing, like those for dwiggs 3.0 or 4.5 under that. Or for that matter for 1.4 verses 1.4 patch.

Four Against the Darkness & Kinetic Connundrum don't even tell which version they are for.
posted 05-30-07 08:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Well maybe you'd like to do a new list, if this one's so bad?

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 05-30-07 08:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Maybe you'd like a new attitude if this ones so bad?

I just pointed out something that would be very helpful to add to the list. I didn't comment on how good or bad it was.

BTW removing the list altogether was very petty of you roger. This is a sticky thread, I don't think mods would appreciate you making a sticky thread empty of subject.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-30-2007 @ 08:53 PM).]

posted 05-30-07 11:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
There are very few reference threads to be found on this forum!

I find this thread to be very helpful/useful. Thanks, Roger.

Additional reference threads would be a good idea (but we obviously do not need another 'Mod Maps' thread).

A reference thread on 'Game FAQS' would indeed be very useful, especially to any new players.

Such a 'Game FAQS' reference thread might be indexed into sections that cover every possible element of this game.

I think maybe the 1.5 patch release would be a good medium to plan such a 'Game FAQS' reference thread around. It seems unnecessary to have separate links for any versions other than 1.5. (Although, maybe updated mod links could also be incorporated into the thread).

There may be more useful ideas for another AOW reference thread(s).

I wonder if someone will feel energetic enough to attempt creating a 'Game FAQS' reference thread for version 1.5 in the future?
posted 05-30-07 11:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
You mean you found the thread helpful before roger out of petty spite removed it all..
posted 05-31-07 01:51 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Seriously guys, how old are you?
If your answer is anything larger than 10 then please act like it.
posted 05-31-07 07:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Please note: as long as you have the latest version of the mod in question, it makes no difference which version of the mod the map was made for. Pay no heed to those that try to make out that it is a big deal, because it isn't. Let's suppose you have downloaded Horseshoe Falls, you have Dwiggs 1.4 patch selected in AoWSMSetup, and the map won't run, this should solve the "problem":

1) Make sure you have Dwiggs 1.4 Patch selected in AoWSMSetup
2) Open the editor
3) Open the map, in this case Horseshoe Falls
4) Click once on any piece of terrain
5) Save the map, if you want you can give it a different name
6) Lo and behold, as if by magic, the map works!

Incidentally the same applies to AoW2 maps that you find in the download section, it doesn't really matter because they work in Shadow Magic anyway - no big deal!

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-01-2007 @ 07:53 AM).]

posted 05-31-07 07:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but maps converted that way are not 100% compatible if I am not mistaken.
I guess some balancing problems will arise, but apart from that I noticed that the ai sometimes is unable to capture the large mines introduced by Dwiggs.

But in terms of technical compatiblity you are right of course.
posted 05-31-07 08:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
In all fairness I don't really see that as being off-topic

There can be compatibility problems with any mod, but I am yet to encounter anyone that will have the various versions of a mod installed, and select the relevant one that the map was made for, just to play that particular map. For most of us, life is just too short

However if I find that a number of people want to know the specific version that a map was created for, and do load the relevant version of the mod every time they play that particular map, I will bear the request in mind

Please speak up now if you haven't previously posted in this thread, and you fit into that category! Don't be shy!

posted 05-31-07 05:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
it makes no difference which version of the mod the map was made for. Pay no heed to the fool(s) that try to make out that it is a big deal, because it isn't.
Only a a real nasty mean spirited person would call people fools because they didn't know something. A responsible decent person would just tell them nicely. Nasty mean spirited people should be warned by mods, but mods around here can't seem to be bothered by such.

I have heard that saving a map from another mod to dwiggs will not work. I also know there are big differences between 3.0 or 4.5 and 1.4/patch.

Even if these differences are not enough to cause technical problems. They could cause trouble in other ways. Like what if the map is set to give you a runemaster as a reward for completing something. 1.4 its only a level 3, in patch its a level 4 with leadership 4.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 05-31-2007 @ 05:28 PM).]

posted 05-31-07 06:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
I have heard that saving a map from another mod to dwiggs will not work
Who has that said that you can save a map from another mod to dwiggs?

posted 06-01-07 01:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Only a a real nasty mean spirited person would call people fools because they didn't know something. A responsible decent person would just tell them nicely. Nasty mean spirited people should be warned by mods, but mods around here can't seem to be bothered by such.
If you didn't know something, you should not post that in a sticky thread since that post would just confuse others!
I'll ignore that statement about the mods for now.
Like what if the map is set to give you a runemaster as a reward for completing something. 1.4 its only a level 3, in patch its a level 4 with leadership 4.
You know of a way to fix this without manually editing the map?

Please note that this thread was made sticky to help people find maps for their favorite mods. People who are playing mods should know by now that saving a map under the resources will usually make it work. I suggest that no more posts be made that are off-topic.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 06-01-07 04:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
I made a simply suggestion. That modes were further sub listed by which version they were made for. Something as simple even as putting the version number before or after the mod name/link. Maybe reordering them from most recent to oldest too.

Theres no drawback to this except for spending less time to do so then you took in insulting me etc for making the suggestion. Well those maps that don't mention which version they are for may take a bit longer, but still..

So if theres even a bit of less balance or incompatability issues from wrong mod version and some of these mod versions are so different they are nearly a different mod. (and many of these mod versions are no longer available for download) Then my suggestion makes lots of sense.

P.S. This is mostly just for dwiggs since this is the mod that has shown the greatest variation in versions. I see in the BNW maps the version number is listed for 2.0 maps (unless some of those aren't shown as 2.0, in fact are) RE: AoG, I'm sure all the maps have been updated to latest version.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-01-2007 @ 04:11 PM).]

posted 03-17-09 06:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
You seem to forget adding your The last Dwarf map for BNW 3.0 Roger

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 12-11-09 07:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I have added a few more BNW maps to the list (thanks Kirky). It really is a brilliant mod, almost like a different game, and it is highly recommended. Check out how to download and install it (and ask any questions about Brave New World mod) in this thread:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=33,5246,,20

posted 01-01-10 11:15 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
The Groll has converted one of his AoW1 maps to use with my AoW1 Mod.

http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1011 - Kayland

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=29,5416,,60 - link to the mod thread (the top post contains links to the mod download and latest patch)

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 01-01-2010 @ 12:43 PM).]

posted 01-06-10 02:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Thanks for adding my mod to the list, but the links are wrong (the mod link points to the LoTR one instead, and the map link to the mod). The name of The Groll's map is wrong as well, but I guess it's your twisted sense of humor

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 01-06-10 03:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Apologies - I blame alcohol !!

posted 06-29-10 05:39 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Let's see whether I did a better job of adding the first map for CoMA SE mod to the list...

posted 07-02-10 08:42 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Well in the last eight months maps have appeared here for two new mods, so the creative energy is clearly still high in the mod-making and map-making zones of the community. Keep up the great work, guys!

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Mod Maps: a list of maps specifically made for mods
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames