You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Custom Scenarios Contest (Single Player and Multiplayer)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
posted 05-12-08 02:00 PM EDT (US)   
I would like to announce the first AOE3 Custom Scenarios Design competition for Multiplayer scenarios.

Scenario designers are invited to participate in the contest and submit 1 to 3 of their original Multiplayer scenarios.

Forumers are invited to play and review these scenarios.

20 game prizes will be given away to forumers who review one or more of these scenarios via drawing.

Bellow you can see the list of designers and their scenarios.
This list is not complete yet as designers have one more month (Until July 9th 2008) to submit additional Multiplayer scenarios (up to 3 total).

The HG community is invited to review the scenarios that have been submitted for the contest in the Download section and then cut and paste the review in this official contest thread.
Doing so will entitle you to be in the drawing to win one of the 20 game prizes that I am giving away.
You can review any of these scenarios for the next 6 weeks until July 18th 2008.

At the end of the contest there will be a drawing among forumers who reviewed at least 3 scenarios (that were submitted for this contest).

In addition to that there is going to be a weekly drawing among forumers who reviewed at least one scenario for that week.

Scenario Designers qualify to be in the drawing at the end of the contest if they reviewed 3 scenarios or more.
However, the weekly drawing will only be among reviewers who didn’t submit their scenarios for review.

I will also give game prizes to each one of the scenario designers who win first, second, and third place.

First place gets 2 game prizes of his choice.
Second or third place gets 1 prize of his choice (from the remaining prizes).

Contest Rules for Designers

Designers can submit Multiplayer scenarios (old or new) that haven’t been reviewed yet in HG.
If they want to submit a scenario that already have been reviewed, then they will first have to make (and publish) a new version of it (with some improvements) and only after that they can submit it.

Designers have to submit their own original scenario.
It is not allowed to take someone else’s AOE3 scenario modify it, and use it to enter the contest.

It is not allowed to use existing AOE3 scenario name (by someone else) for your scenario.

Scenario designers can review scenarios in this contest but they cannot review their own scenarios.

Designers have until July 9th to submit additional scenarios (up to 3 scenarios per designer).

This Contest is restricted to AOE3 Multiplayer scenarios.

Designers can win either first, second, or third place according to their best rated scenario.

New scenarios can be submitted in this thread.

--------------

The following is the list of the designers and the scenarios they submitted for the contest:

• As_Saffah:

Khyber Pass 2v2 (1 review)

Siege of Quebec: Battle of the Plains of Abraham (3 reviews)

• Chester1:

Secure the Flag! (7 reviews)

C.T.F. Abduction (4 reviews)

• CrazyEngineerKid:

SpeedRound (6 reviews)

CounterUnits (5 reviews)

The Labyrinth II (6 reviews)

• gunner1:

Mafia hitman (3 review)

• KevTheGreat:

Arab Desert 4: The Zenith Age (4 reviews)

Arab Desert 7 (3 review)

Global Wars (9 reviews)

• Random22:

Capture The Flag (5 reviews)

War Mod Mod (wasn’t reviewed yet)

• FenrisWulf:

World Map v2 (2 reviews)

Fight for Life

Race run

• Navarone

The Fall of Russia (1 review)

The Fall of Russia 2 - Civil War (1 review)

The Fall of Russia 3 – Invasion (wasn’t reviewed yet)

• Hedanito123

Escape V1,5

Mythodea V2,4

Strategy Underground V1,3

==============================

So please state in this thread if you would like to participate in the contest.

In order to submit your scenario you need to list the scenario in this thread with the scenario link.

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 07-10-2008 @ 07:12 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05-12-08 05:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 311  
    ok I join, but, what you mean with "category"?

I can submit 3 scenarios although...

Colosseum v11.0
    Earth 6.3
    1vs1 Defend the fortress
    posted 05-12-08 05:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 311  
    what you mean with "category"?
    Category 1: Single player Scenarios
    Category 2: Multiplayer Scenarios

There will be additional rules but one that I can think of right away is that you have to be the designer that made the original scenario.
    It’s not allowed to take someone else’s scenario, modify it, and use it to enter the contest.

Are you the original designer for all these scenarios?

Another rule is: it is not allowed to use existing scenario name (by someone else) for your scenario.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 05-12-2008 @ 05:12 PM).]

posted 05-12-08 05:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 311  
    Now might not be the most opportune time to begin the contest unfortunately. May-July are school exam periods, etc.

DeviantArt | Me | Liquid Fire

~ I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning its motives ~

posted 05-12-08 06:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 311  
    I'll take part. Should be able to submit a scenario in each, Although it really depends on the time period and theme.

Scenarios I have made
    Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
    MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
    ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
    posted 05-12-08 07:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 311  

I would like to give scenario designers couple of weeks to respond, since many of them don’t visit this forum every day.

If we get 10 or more designers that can submit their work then we should be able to move forward with the contest.

So the contest could start in early June and last for 5 weeks.

Scenario designers can submit even their earlier work as long as it was not reviewed yet.
    If they want to submit scenario that was reviewed already, then they can just make new version of it with some modifications/improvements.

So I don’t think designers need too much time to submit their work.
    At the same time players continue to play AOE3 in their spare time so they can spend some of that time playing scenarios and reviewing them.

Any theme goes, RPG, skirmish, new game type, anything at all.
    posted 05-12-08 08:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 311  
    /in, providing I can get a decent connection to test it again.

EDIT: Probably only one per category. I might be able to make a 1-up version of the 2v2 scn I'm working on now.

Crunkatog on ESO
    Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
    Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
    schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
    Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 05-12-2008 @ 08:12 PM).]

posted 05-12-08 08:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 311  
    I'll do it, it should be a good excuse for me to actually finish some stuff I've been working on
    I'll try to do one in each category.

ESO: Space_man
    AoE3 Cinematics:
    Death by Natives and The Last Scenario Designer
    Project announcement coming soon!
    posted 05-12-08 11:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 311  
    Great, we have 4 designers so far.

Keep in mind that it is allowed to re-use one of your old scenarios.
    You can take one of your old Vanilla or TWC scenarios and convert it to TAD.
    That will qualify too.
    posted 05-13-08 03:19 AM EDT (US)     9 / 311  
    You can count on 5 designers Moshe, but i'm so darn negative about the scenario playing community on ESO.
    None of the previous Age Game had such a low audience/fans as AoE3.
    AOK/TC and AOM/TT survived years because of the scenario gaming.

If i've understood correctly, it will be a brand new scenario needed to participate to this contest; am i right?
    If so, well i have to get started ... lol.
    Good luck and good action Moshe.

The creator of Xamo scenarios from AOM/TT and AoE3/TWC/TAD. Owner of Xamo World
    posted 05-13-08 07:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 311  
    so we have a while? (July?)

i agree with whoever posted about the end of school. Ive been swamped lately and only had one saturday to finish a first draft of a new scenario.
    posted 05-13-08 08:38 AM EDT (US)     11 / 311  
    Will we get this in the news on the frontpage?

Scenarios I have made
    Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
    MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
    ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
    posted 05-13-08 08:43 AM EDT (US)     12 / 311  
    if the deadline is far enouth away i think i will paticipate aswell a scenario contest is a good thing and it would be a shame to let it pas without joining
    posted 05-13-08 09:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 311  
    If i've understood correctly, it will be a brand new scenario needed to participate to this contest; am i right?

No, that is NOT correct.
    Old scenarios qualify too, as long as they were NOT reviewed yet.

If you want to use one of your old scenarios that already got reviewed, then just make a new version of it with some changes.
    so we have a while? (July?)
    Not really, I am thinking to start the contest in early June.
    So you may have time to submit scenarios maybe until end of June.
    But again, you can submit old scenarios too.
    Will we get this in the news on the front page?
    Yes, I already talked to one of the moderators about it.
    if the deadline is far enough away i think i will participate as well a scenario contest is a good thing and it would be a shame to let it pas without joining.
    That’s right, this will be a good opportunity to let the community know about your old and new scenarios.
    posted 05-13-08 10:03 AM EDT (US)     14 / 311  
    im in!
    ill submit 3 scenarios.
    2 old ones and a new one that im working on right now
    posted 05-13-08 12:05 PM EDT (US)     15 / 311  
    It’s not allowed to take someone else’s scenario, modify it, and use it to enter the contest.

Are you the original designer for all these scenarios?

Another rule is: it is not allowed to use existing scenario name (by someone else) for your scenario.
    Well, then I cant really participate in the contest, because most of my works, are current old scenarios, but those scenarios had some bad designed things or that werent completely balanced, so I edited em, even though I didnt claimed em as 100% mine, In all my scenarios in which I edited other works, I give the credit to me as the current creator, BUT I always give credit to who originially designed em or had the idea of making em.
    posted 05-13-08 12:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 311  
    Well, then I cant really participate in the contest, because most of my works, are current old scenarios, but those scenarios had some bad designed things or that werent completely balanced, so I edited em, even though I didnt claimed em as 100% mine, In all my scenarios in which I edited other works, I give the credit to me as the current creator, BUT I always give credit to who originially designed em or had the idea of making em.
    You can contact the original designer (if you know who he is) and ask his permission to use his edited scenario for the contest.
    If he agrees then both of you will be listed as designers for that scenario.
    However, both of you will have to sign up for the contest.

Another option is to make your own scenario that is 100% yours.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 05-13-2008 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 05-13-08 01:12 PM EDT (US)     17 / 311  
    Oh well, I guess, I will completely edit some of the scenarios I mentioned, so they dont look anything compared to the original version.

[This message has been edited by ivanelterrible (edited 05-13-2008 @ 01:12 PM).]

posted 05-13-08 01:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 311  

I suggest you start your own scenario from the beginning with 100% original map design.
    You can then use Reyk’s Editor and copy your own triggers from your existing scenarios to your new one.
    This way no one will have a claim to your scenarios.

If someone makes a claim against one of your scenarios then your scenario may be disqualified.
    posted 05-14-08 03:00 AM EDT (US)     19 / 311  
    I will like to make some suggestions, if i may:
    1. Create categories in the contest, like: Blood, RPG, Other. It will be easier to check and split scenarios. The points a designer get for all his entered scenarios will determinate the winner.
    2. Maximum one entry in a category per designer.
    3. Only own scenarios accepted, not edited, etc.

I want to point something: This contest must be another way to make scenarios popular to the community. As we all can see, scenarios aren't an important issue in this game as it was in previous Age Games. Maybe ES will help this forgotten designers group en add some support to map making community.

Well this are some (i hope helpful) idea's i have about this contest.
    I'm waiting for your reaction guys ...

The creator of Xamo scenarios from AOM/TT and AoE3/TWC/TAD. Owner of Xamo World

[This message has been edited by Xamolxis (edited 05-14-2008 @ 03:19 AM).]

posted 05-14-08 11:38 AM EDT (US)     20 / 311  
    Then you should probably weight the categories to favor multiplayer scenarios, because that's what engages people online.

And I'm thinking this contest should extend further into the summer, because starting it now or any time before school is out, then ending it in a month is like saying "we don't want submissions from people wh are still in school".

Give people the whole summer. start accepting entries June 1 and let the contest run until end August, then post them for people to review and play. Make sure people in the community know they are supposed to evaluate these as part of contest, not just to dl and play. At the end of a specified period, say 6 weeks, of evaluations then gather the data and declare winners.

IMO you can do a lot towards evaluating the scenarios by holding another forum party for CSO.

Crunkatog on ESO
    Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
    schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
    Crunkatog on Steam.
    posted 05-14-08 01:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 311  
    1. Create categories in the contest, like: Blood, RPG, Other. It will be easier to check and split scenarios. The points a designer get for all his entered scenarios will determinate the winner.
    2. Maximum one entry in a category per designer.
    Thank you for your suggestions Xamo but I am thinking to set the contest in a different way.

There will be just two categories (single player and Multiplayer) because there are only 8 designers that are going to be participating (as of now).
    That is not enough scenarios for more categories.
    That is also why I think it’s a good idea to allow designers to submit up to 3 scenarios for each category.

The scenarios with the highest score will win the contest.
    3. Only own scenarios accepted, not edited, etc.
    I already stated that as a rule.
    Designers have to submit their own original scenarios.
    No edited scenarios are allowed.
    Then you should probably weight the categories to favor multiplayer scenarios, because that's what engages people online.
    Many forumers still like to play single player scenarios so I don’t think we should neglect this category.
    If you take a look at the number of downloads you will see that single player scenarios have much higher number of downloads compared to Multiplayer scenarios.
    I am sure most designers have at least one or two single player scenarios they can submit.
    And I'm thinking this contest should extend further into the summer, because starting it now or any time before school is out, then ending it in a month is like saying "we don't want submissions from people who are still in school".
    Give people the whole summer. start accepting entries June 1 and let the contest run until end August, then post them for people to review and play.
    We can do that but keep in mind that the contest will lose momentum the longer we stretch it.
    Players will just wait until the last moment and we will have a long period in the middle with no reviews.
    I had similar experience with the “Strategic Objectives” contests.
    The first and last weeks were busy and in the rest of the time there was no activity.
    We can start around June 1st and let it last for 6 weeks until mid July.
    That will allow players enough time to play and review the scenarios.

If the contest goes well, then we can start a CSO ladder and that can go into the summer.
    Make sure people in the community know they are supposed to evaluate these as part of contest, not just to dl and play. At the end of a specified period, say 6 weeks, of evaluations then gather the data and declare winners.
    Yes, that is the general idea.
    IMO you can do a lot towards evaluating the scenarios by holding another forum party for CSO.
    I am ahead of you , I already sent the moderators approval request yesterday morning to host CSO party this weekend.
    I am still waiting to hear back from them.
    posted 05-14-08 05:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 311  
    Hello, Moshelevi.

I wanted to report im in, I never been much in the scenario bussiness but now im making some truly nice one's.
    I think I can finish 3 before the end of June.
    And I wanted to ask how much scenario's are allowed and what you meant with the catagorie's.
    Like multiplayer catagorie is that online supported you mean?
    Anyway I hope to show a masterpiece, not one of my old piece's....
    And last but not least GREAT ACTION!

Kind regards TheLord.
    posted 05-14-08 07:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 311  
    I wanted to ask how much scenario's are allowed and what you meant with the catagorie's.
    3 scenarios are allowed for each category.

Category 1: Single player scenarios
    Category 2: Multiplayer (Online) scenarios
    Like multiplayer category is that online supported you mean?
    Yes.
    I already sent the moderators approval request yesterday morning to host CSO party this weekend.
    I am still waiting to hear back from them.
    I have just received permission from Myll_Erik to announce CSO forum party for this weekend.
    I will announce it soon in the General forum.
    I hope to see you join the party.
    This is your opportunity to host your own scenarios.
    posted 05-14-08 07:24 PM EDT (US)     24 / 311  
    One last request... let the CSO parties have their own Gallery album page.

Previous forum parties got their own Gallery page for screenshots. These old time parties are fun to look through and see old forumers fighting and having a good time together. Given that CSO's are a unique way to have forum parties and the maps and scenery are sometimes quite distinctive and attractive, these could go a long way to promoting the contest if screenshots from CSO parties start randomly loading in the Home Page screenshot app.

Just a thought. Longer term, it would also promote CSO's in general, and forum parties too. Just get the submitter or the players of that game to add a little catchy caption to the pic and you're done.

I wished we had some of the screenshots of the last CSO party, not just mine but also the one where coldsteel86 held the Taj Mahal for the whole 6 minutes starting from about 7 seconds into the game...and two players bases had been annihilated and the survivor seemed uninterested in challenging. "LOL what happened here???"

Crunkatog on ESO
    Crunkatog on Steam.
    posted 05-14-08 08:28 PM EDT (US)     25 / 311  
    One last request... let the CSO parties have their own Gallery album page.
    I am assuming your request is directed to the moderators.
    I wished we had some of the screenshots of the last CSO party, not just mine but also the one where coldsteel86 held the Taj Mahal for the whole 6 minutes starting from about 7 seconds into the game...and two players bases had been annihilated and the survivor seemed uninterested in challenging. "LOL what happened here???"
    Lol, that’s a funny story.
    coldsteel86 must be a very good player.

Average players tend to get distracted and forget to attack the Taj Mahal.
    Good players tend to team up against the player that controls the Taj Mahal.
    That’s how the game supposed to work.

By the way, I have announced the CSO Forum Party for this weekend, see:
    CSO Forum Party On Saturday and Sunday.

So please show up to the event.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Custom Scenarios Contest (Single Player and Multiplayer)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames