Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: [Group Project] "Age of Antiquity"
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
posted 07-09-06 05:44 PM EDT (US)   

Inspired by these two threads:

What do you think about a Re-make of Age of Empires 2?

AOE4: AOE1 Remake Ideas

What I'd like to do is launch a GROUP PROJECT for anyone on the forums to join. This will be a complete overhaul and remake of the first Age of Empires. Not only a remake, but an overhaul. What does that mean? Well that means we will go deeper into historical gaming than any game Ensemble has yet produced. We will update AOE1 to modern standards of gameplay as well. Each civ will be unique and fresh and most of all historically accurate.

[JPEG, (162.69 KB)]
[JPEG, (334.64 KB)]

What each project member will do is choose 3 civs from the list below to design as he or she sees fit, within the guidelines of the game as I will set up. What you will do then is research each civ to the best of your abilities, fill out the form I provide here and post it in this thread. Be careful not to be too verbose in your design because the forum seems to not like large posts. When everything is done and all civs have been profiled, I will gather everything together and make a giant new thread releasing the game design to the world.

This thread will be for strictly signing up for civilizations to profile (and then posting your results) and for discussing gameplay mechanics of the game and civs. What we want to do is stick to history and stay away from mythology and religion, except when dealing with Temples and Healers/Priests.

I fully expect this to last months, but that's not important. What's important is we all have fun making this and learn more about game design, history, and how they both fit together!

-------------------------
Okay, first, the uber LIST OF CIVILIZATIONS! Choose three from below you'd like to profile (first come first serve). *Note, please choose Vanilla civs first, then move on to the expacks (don't everyone try to gang up on the Greeks and Romans):

Vanilla: "Age of Antiquity: Dawn of Civilization"
- Assyrians :: Mythos_Ruler
- Babylonians :: Empror
- Egyptians :: Cassador_Chris
- Etruscans :: Brocktree101
- Hebrews :: Yamato Take
- Hittites :: Empror
- Kushites (Nubians) :: Empror
- Minoans :: Mythos_Ruler
- Mycenaeans :: egel
- Phoenicians :: GatoFedorento
- Scythians :: Dieneces
- Sumerians :: GatoFedorento

Chocolate: Expack1 "Empires Ascendant"
- Carthaginians :: Yamato Take
- Gauls :: egel + Brocktree
- Hellenes (Greeks) :: Dieneces
- Iberians :: GatoFedorento
- Macedonians :: Mythos_Ruler
- Numidians :: Yamato Take
- Persians :: Mythos_Ruler
- Romans:: egel
- Samnites :: Mythos_Ruler
- Seleucids :: Hosko
- Syracusans :: Empror
- Thracians :: Dieneces

Rocky Road or Strawberry: Expack2 "Empires Besieged"
- Axumites (Ethiopians) :: skystrider
- Britons :: Egel and Brocktree101
- Byzantines (Eastern Romans) :: Empror
- Dacians :: Mythos_Ruler
- Germanians :: Brocktree101
- Han (Chinese) :: MudokonGod
- Huns :: GatoFedorento
- Indians :: Lord Iarune
- Palmyrans :: GatoFedorento
- Parthians :: Empror
- Sarmatians :: egel
- Yamato (Japanese) :: Yamato Take

-------------------------
Next, choose your Civ Bonuses. Bonuses are things like, "Archers +25% HPs" or "Farming 33% more profitable." Please, stick to realistic bonuses for your civs. Make them historically accurate, and again, bonus points to those who come up with original ethnic names for your bonuses.

Bonus 1 - Economic/Civic
Bonus 2 - Military
Bonus 3 - Any

--------------------------
After that, choose the units your civ will field in battle. The research part will be this: Choose units that your civ used in REAL HISTORY. For instance, the Babylonians did *not* use a Quinquireme. However, you can give them a "bireme" class ship for gameplay purposes. The fun part will be finding the NAMES OF EACH UNIT according to the civ you are profiling. For instance, a Greek Infantry Spearman is a Hoplite (hop*lee*tay). Bonus points to those profilers who can give each unit a unique ethnic (non-anglosized) name.

Out of the 33 unit types listed here, I'd recommend your civs have no more than 30 and no less than 20:

Villager Citizen/Peasant (jack of all trades, builder and gatherer)
Villager Slave (a quick gatherer, does not build)
Villager Colonist (a quick builder, does not gather)
Villager Merchant (land trader)

Infantry Militia (every civ; very first military unit; starts as clubman in Stone Age)
Infantry Spearman
Infantry Swordsman
Ranged Slinger (very first ranged unit; starts in Tool Age)
Ranged Skirmisher
Ranged Bowman
Cavalry Scout (very first cavalry unit; can hunt; starts in Tool Age)
Cavalry Spearman
Cavalry Swordsman
Cavalry Skirmisher
Cavalry Archer

Healer Priest
Spy/Assassin/Diplomatic Unit

Siege Stone Thrower
Siege Bolt Thrower
Siege Tower
Siege Ram

Ship Fishing
Ship Trading
Ship Light -> Ship Medium
Ship Siege(rare "super" ship)

Unique Civilian Unit
Unique Military Unit 1
Unique Military Unit 2

Hero 1 (every civ has at least one hero)
Hero 2
Hero 3
Hero 4 (few civs have 4th hero)

*Note: Chariots and Elephants are usually reserved as Unique Units.
*Note: Make Unique Units truly UNIQUE, SPECIAL, and ELITE. For instance, a Hoplite isn't unique (he's just a spearman), but a SPARTIATE is an ELITE form of hoplite that would work well as a UU.

--------------------------
Next, profile the buildings for your civ. The fun part will be, again, to find out ethnic-specific names for each one. Also fun will be to come up with truly special Unique Buildings (listed at the end):

Town Center (upgradeable with different features, like in Battle for Middle Earth II)
Government Building (researches unique techs and "uber" post-Imperial techs, plus trains Unique civilian unit)
Market
House
Temple
Storehouse (gather wood, stone, and gold)
Mining Camp (generates gold like AOE3's Plantation)
Granary (gather food)
Farmland
Livestock Pen (like AOE3)
Outpost Tower
Palisade Wall
Palisade Gate
Stone Wall
Stone Wall Tower
Stone Wall Gate
Emissary (build at Mercenary camps to train mercenaries)
Smith (armory technologies)
Barracks (infantry)
Archery Range (ranged)
Stable (cavalry)
Siege Workshop (siege)
Naval Yard (ships)
Citadel (fort - build limit: 1)
Academy (trains Unique military units)

Wonder (give it a name and a unique bonus)

Unique Building Economic/Civic
Unique Building Military
Unique Building 3 (only a few civs have 3rd Unique Building)

------------------------
Lastly, choose the Unique Techs for your civ. You get one Unique Tech for each Unique Unit or Unique Building in your civ's profile. For instance, if you have 2 Unique Units and 1 Unique Building, then you get 3 Unique Techs.

Unique Tech 1
Unique Tech 2
Unique Tech 6 (Max number, based on max number of UUs and UBs)

-------------------

Don't worry about getting the "format" right. You don't have to do things IN THAT order. You can also easily copy/paste the lists provided above and work from there.

Alright, the floor is now open. Once someone completes his/her 3 civs, that person may then choose 3 more to complete! We have 30+ civs, so lets get going!

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 08-02-2007 @ 06:37 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-16-06 02:58 PM EDT (US)     226 / 929  
Hey my brothers. Sry i've been out so long. School. And if someone wants thracians, I'll give. Oh and I'll take etruscans if nobody wants them.

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that loyal to them, here we lie

Heed to Sparta, that on this hill, we lie loyal to them still

Go tell to Sparta, what you have read, that loyal to them, we lie now dead...

posted 09-17-06 00:25 AM EDT (US)     227 / 929  
I'll trade ya Etruscans for Thracians.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
posted 09-17-06 10:49 AM EDT (US)     228 / 929  
Done. Mythos, if you please. Oh and consider two things for Age of Antiquity. 1, a campaign for almost every civilization. It would make the game seem more interesting. 2, a Gaulish civilization. You can't go wrong with Vercingetorix. (If you like Gauls, put them in the second expansion pack. Oh, And since Diences is trading with me, I'll do Gauls so I have three civs in each).

[This message has been edited by Brocktree101 (edited 09-17-2006 @ 11:01 AM).]

posted 09-17-06 04:23 PM EDT (US)     229 / 929  
May I deal with Egyptians and Iberians? I've always wanted to do something like this...

I also suggest you to add, if possible, Lusitanians :P

Gaulish Unique Unit can be the "menhir thrower"

Long live early music.
posted 09-17-06 04:28 PM EDT (US)     230 / 929  
Hello Obelix. There isn't any Gaulish civilization (I hope there will be soon) and if there was I got dibs. And Lustanians are part of Iberians (Hispanians, Lustanians, Gilbratarians). Are you new here? Never seen ya. I'm Brock, the god of war. Oh and Mythos and Diences, take a look at the Etruscans...

Etruscans: The Etruscans were the forefathers of the Romans. They were skilled in naval warfare and horses and trading, but lack in archery and great siege.

Villager Citizen/Peasant: Scaevola
Villager Colonist: Civilian
Villager Merchant: Merchant Wagon

Infantry Militia: Clubman (Age 1) -> Axeman (Age 2) -> Recruit (Age 3)
Infantry Spearman: Hoplite (Age 3) -> Caisran Hoplite (Age 4) -> Umbrian Equal (Age 4)
Infantry Swordsman: Fasces (Age 2) -> Heavy Fasces (Age 3) -> Elite Fasces (Age 4)
Ranged Slinger: Slinger (Age 2) -> Felathrian (Age 3)
Ranged Bowman: Xenos (Age 3) -> Heavy Xenos (Age 4) -> Elite Xenos (Age 4)
Mercenary Infantry: Arcani (Age 3) -> Ambush Arcani (Age 4)
Mercenary Skirmisher: Peltast (Age 3) -> Auxiliary (Age 4)

Cavalry Scout: Corsican (Age 2)
Cavalry Spearman: Companion (Age 2) -> Heavy Companion (Age 3) -> Noble (Age 4)
Cavalry Archer: Difros (Age 2) -> Heavy Difros (Age 3)

HealerPriest:Priestess

Spy/Assassin/Diplomatic Unit: Theocrat

Siege Stone Thrower: Onager
Siege Bolt Thrower: Cheroballista
Siege Tower: Heliopolis

Ship Fishing: Coracle
Ship Trading: Merchant Galley
Ship Light: Quadreme -> Galleon
Ship Siege: Asphlaston -> Elite Asphlaston

Unique Civilian Unit: Haruspex (Age 3): The Haruspex was a fast moving tracker that alerted the army of enemy activity. They are cheap and their line of sight increases when they stand still.
Unique Military Unit 1: Bustarius (Age 3): The Bustarius was a xiphos wielding infantry unit that was taken from games and spectacles to fight in the elite group of the army. They are expensive, but are good fighters and can toggle javelin and xiphos.

Unique Military Unit 2: Quadriga (Age 4): The Quadriga was a spear chariot with four horses and had scythes attached to the wheels. They are expensive and can see a great distance.

Hero 1: Aeneas: The son of a Trojan noble, he traveled across the Ionian sea to find a new home for his people and was welcomed by the people of Latium and Etruria. Wields a gladius in each hand and can 'charge enemies'.

Hero 2: Etruscus: A lowly blacksmith who went on to be one of the League founders of the Etruscans. He fought with Tyrrhenus to free Etruria from the barbarians. Can toggle bow and long knife and is hidden in the woods.

Hero 3: Tyrrhenus: The legendary general who helped found Etruria. He and his elite men destroyed many barbarian hordes before they could take Felathria. He is fights with a spear and can mount his chariot at will.

Town Center: Capital
Government Building: Agora
Market: Emporium
House: Insula
Temple: Shrine
Storehouse: Villa
Mining Camp
Granary
Farmland: Vineyard
Livestock Pen: Breeder’s
Outpost Tower
Palisade Wall
Palisade Gate
Stone Wall
Stone Wall Tower
Stone Wall Gate
Smith: Blacksmith
Barracks: Palaestra
Archery Range
Siege Workshop: War Works
Naval Yard: Harbor
Citadel: Palace
Academy: Gymnasium

Unique Building Economic/Civic: Heroic Altar – The Heroic Altar gives a morale bonus to nearby troops.

Unique Building Military: Emissary – The Emissary Trains Greek and Carthaginian Mercenaries for war.
Unique Techs

Economic/Civic: Sea Ports: Etruscans were famous traders and powerful sailors, so they combined the two to get extra resources by water. Earn 5 gold and food by every Sea Trade Route you make.

Military: Conscription: Etruscans didn’t have a strong military body like the Greeks or Carthaginians, so they hired warriors from kings in Greece and Carthage and paid extra for them to train their own soldiers. All infantry and archers gain a 20+ attack bonus.

Military: Equestrians: In an attempt to make their mounted men stronger, Etruscans brought horses from all of their dealings to fight the enemy along with seasoned men riding them. All cavalry get a 30+ defense bonus.

Any: Freedmen: Etruscans freed slaves from Egypt, Greece and Palmyra to teach their citizens how to do things better from their own stronger cultures. Gymnasium trains Bustarius and Quadriga faster.

Wonder: Vault of Caisra

Advantages

Good cavalry, Strong naval units, merchants

Disadvantages

Weak siege, bad infantry

[This message has been edited by Brocktree101 (edited 09-28-2006 @ 09:32 PM).]

posted 09-17-06 06:22 PM EDT (US)     231 / 929  
posted 09-17-06 07:33 PM EDT (US)     232 / 929  
I thought the celts in this game where Britanian celts. Aw please just make Gauls for me. Please (Puppy dog eyes)? Oh and what do you think of my Etruscans? Oh and I need help joining 0 A.D.

posted 09-17-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     233 / 929  
I think we should allow the Gauls to be seperate. After all, the Syracusans and Hellenes are different civilizations, and they contained possibly more similarities between each other than the Britons and Gauls.

Nice work, Brock. However, I believe the Etruscans had (short) axemen, along with their hoplites. It may be worth considering including an axe soldier. Perhaps the "Recruit" can be a more elite Axeman.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
posted 09-17-06 09:55 PM EDT (US)     234 / 929  
Thanks for pointing it out man. Yeah the recruit is a (short) axeman with a buckler. In times of great need, recruits were citizen soldiers with short axes. Oh and thanks for voting yes to the Gauls. You da man. I saw your Aom 2 site with the Greeks. Whoa you are awesome!

posted 09-18-06 08:14 AM EDT (US)     235 / 929  
Thanks man, no problem.

Also, did Blunt Axe ever finish his Scythians, by chance?

posted 09-18-06 12:44 PM EDT (US)     236 / 929  
I was kiding about Obelix...

Anyway, can I take Egyptians and Iberians, or not?

Long live early music.
posted 09-18-06 03:30 PM EDT (US)     237 / 929  
I know. Not alot of people in the U.s. read asterix believe it or not. Anyway, you can take Iberians, but Cassador Cris has the egyptians. Talk to mythos about it. He hooked me up with Germany.

posted 09-18-06 04:02 PM EDT (US)     238 / 929  
Oh, Egyptians are free in the main topic, so I thought...

How can I talk to Mythos, then?

Long live early music.
posted 09-18-06 04:08 PM EDT (US)     239 / 929  
Mythos is like a ghost. Now you see him... now you don't. You know It's tough being the youngest guy on the forum. Anyway if Mythos is listeniing, could you make the Gauls. Please...

posted 09-18-06 04:16 PM EDT (US)     240 / 929  
I'll wait for his reply, then.

Meanwhile, let me ask you this: what ages are there in this project? And what about the availability of buildings, units, etc?

EDIT:
And what's this all about? Why are we doing this? Is it just for fun? Or is it a basis for a big mod?

Long live early music.

[This message has been edited by GatoFedorento (edited 09-18-2006 @ 04:18 PM).]

posted 09-18-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     241 / 929  
Check page 4 or 5 for the ages. We are doing this to create it into a huge mod or even game. Check out wildfiregames.com or ask mythos to learn more.

posted 09-18-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     242 / 929  
Wow! Will this actually be used by wildfiregames?

About the ages, what is being currently considered? Those in the downloadable techtree, or the basic Stone - Tool - Bronze - Iron?

Long live early music.
posted 09-18-06 05:19 PM EDT (US)     243 / 929  
I really don't know

posted 09-18-06 07:25 PM EDT (US)     244 / 929  
This isn't going to be used by Wildfire Games in any shape or form. However, and I think I can say this without getting into too much trouble, this could easily be a cool "full conversion" mod for "0 A.D." when it is completed. Wildfire Games is going through great pains to make 0 A.D. one of the easiest to mod RTS games ever. We plan (and are implementing) features that will allow a group of modders to comepletely revamp the entire game with ease. But to reiterate, this "Age of Antiquity" project has no affiliation with Wildfire Games whatsoever.

Soon here, once I complete my Assyrian profile, I'll comb this thread for info I have missed and update the original post with "completed" civs and the proper authors. If anyone wants to get in contact with me, please add me to your MSN Messenger (I RARELY use AIM): mythgamer@aol.com is my MSN messenger contact.

PS: I will acquiesce and split Celts -> Iberians / Gauls. I found that adding the Britons I can put them in the 2nd Xpack as an "enemy" of Rome, thus bringing all 3 sections of the game to a neat 12 civs.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 09-18-2006 @ 07:33 PM).]

posted 09-18-06 07:53 PM EDT (US)     245 / 929  
Since egel took the Gauls... I CALL DIBBS ON BRITONS!!! And just out of curiousity, the Empires Ascendant take place until "0 A.D." Right? Cause I'm pretty sure the Germans led by Arminius (Hermann the German) beat the hell out of Rome in 9 A.D. causing Germanicus to recive lower support in his Germania and Gothland campaigns. Think about it!

[This message has been edited by Brocktree101 (edited 09-18-2006 @ 07:57 PM).]

posted 09-18-06 08:12 PM EDT (US)     246 / 929  
THE ASSYRIANS

Bonus 1 :: "Old Kingdom" - Receive a free villager with each Granary constructed.
Bonus 2 :: "Middle Kingdom" - Gain 1 Food for each enemy villager killed. Gain 3 Gold for every 2 slain enemy soldiers.
Bonus 3 :: "Neo-Assyrian Kingdom" - This is the Assyrian Reign of terror. All units +75% bonus vs. enemy Villager units in Age 4.

Units
Villager Citizen :: Serf
Villager Slave :: War Captive
- Costs 0.5 pop
Villager Merchant :: Aramaic Merchant

Infantry Militia :: Clubman -> Axeman
Infantry Spearman :: Militia Spearman -> Provincial Spearman -> Professional Spearman
Ranged Slinger :: Peasant Slinger -> Provincial Slinger
Ranged Bowman :: Provincial Archer -> Professional Archer
Cavalry Scout :: Aramaic Raider -> Mitanni Raider
Cavalry Spearman :: Noble Cavalry -> Fanatic Cavalry

Healer Priest :: Priest of Ashur
Spy/Assassin/Diplomatic Unit :: Consular
- Has no diplomatic abilities, only Spy/Assassin abilities.

Siege Tower :: Assyrian Siege Tower
- Bonused 20% over standard siege towers from other civs
Siege Ram :: Heroic Ram -> Capped Ram

Ship Fishing :: Euphrates Skirt
Ship Trading :: Phoenician Mariner
Ship Bireme :: Phoenician Bireme

Unique Units
Unique Civilian Unit
Unique Military Unit 1 :: Tartan
- "Commander" A super-strong cavalry archer unit that causes "fear" in enemy units by reducing their armor -10% within his LOS. Has a high rate of fire. He consists of two horses riding in tandem. On the right horse is a "driver" that drives both horses. On the left horse is the Tartan that fires arrows. One of the first instances of horse archery.
Unique Military Unit 2 :: Desert Chariot
- Ranged and Melee. Can be tasked to "charge" enemy infantry, causing trample damage.

Heroes
Hero 1 :: Shamshi-Adad I (Age 2)
- First ruler of a united Assyria. Gains 100 tribute of resources from enemy players every 60 seconds he lives.
Hero 2 :: Sargon II (Age 3)
- Great Empire builder and founder of the Sargonid Dynasty. All buildings -50% construction time during his reign.
Hero 3 :: Ashurbanipal (Age 4)
- Last great king of Assyria. All remaining technologies -50% cost during his lifetime.

Buildings
Town Center ::
Government Building ::
Market ::
House ::
Temple ::
Storehouse ::
Mining Camp ::
Granary ::
Farmland ::
Livestock Pen ::
Outpost Tower ::
Palisade Wall ::
Palisade Gate ::
Stone Wall ::
Stone Wall Tower ::
Stone Wall Gate ::
Emissary (build at Mercenary camps to train mercenaries)
Smith ::
Barracks::
Archery Range ::
Stable ::
Siege Workshop ::
Naval Yard (ships) ::
Citadel ::
Academy ::

Wonder - Khorsabad
- Impressive fortified Assyrian palace of Sargon II. Enemy units within LOS lose attack strength.

Unique Building Economic/Civic :: Water Screw
- Small structure. Build near water source to increase output of nearby farms by 50%.
Unique Building Military :: Campaign Depot
- Assyrians were the first to form a professional army, with centralized organization and supply. All Assyrian units within LOS heal (slowly) automatically.

Unique Techs
Unique Tech 1 - Economic Terror
- Removes prohibition against enemy tribute. Assyrian player may demand and receive tribute from enemy players.
- Tribute received by Assyrian player (from either allies or enemies) is bonused +15%.
Unique Tech 2 - Diaspora
- Upgrade for Tartan UU. 1 out of every 3 enemies killed by the Tartan respawns at the Market as a free War Captive (provided there is sufficient population room).
Unique Tech 3 - Lion Hunters
- Upgrade for Heroes. All heroes +25% attack.

Advantages
- Very offensive in nature. Can easily keep enemies off-balance.
- Great raiding abilities.
- Bonuses that cause disadvantage to enemy players.
- Great siege (even if limited to Siege Tower and Ram).

Disadvantages
- Low selection of standard units.
- No defensive bonuses.
- Low selection of ships. All ships cost +10% more than other civs.
- No Emissary building / Can not hire Mercenaries.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 10-07-2006 @ 00:24 AM).]

posted 09-18-06 08:19 PM EDT (US)     247 / 929  
You havent answered me yet. And by the way could you switch my name and Diences from Thracians and Etruscans? We switched.

posted 09-18-06 08:26 PM EDT (US)     248 / 929  
- Celts divided into Britons and Gauls.
- Brocktree101 given Britons.
- Brocktree101 and Dieneces switched Etruscans/Thracians.
- Blunt Axe taken out of civ list due to inactivity (I had a feeling).

@ Brock: I don't get your point about the Germans. If those events happened in 9 AD, then surely that's after "0 A.D.", hence the Germans should be in the 2nd expack. Likewise, the Britons go in the 2nd expack as their revolts and Romanization occurred in the A.D.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 09-18-2006 @ 08:29 PM).]

posted 09-18-06 08:30 PM EDT (US)     249 / 929  
Aha! But you put the Germans in the third Xpack. People like Odovacer and Alaric the Goth were during the end of Rome, but the Germans peaked at the events of 9 A.d. So don't you think you should switch the two?

posted 09-18-06 08:57 PM EDT (US)     250 / 929  
Germans are in the 2nd Expack precisely because they came to prominence after 1 B.C. There are only 2 expacks ("Empires Ascendant" and "Empires Besieged"). "Vanilla" is the base game.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 09-18-2006 @ 08:59 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » [Group Project] "Age of Antiquity"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames