You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New civ ideas (so we don't need to go to aoe3 forum)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03 February 2007 03:48 AM EDT (US)   
Warning- many large pictures

CELTS
------------------------------------------------------------ -

TROJANS
-----------------------------------------------------------

NUBIANS
some god powers)
----------------------------------------

MAYANS
--------------
All constructive suggestions are welcome. Post on this thread, please.
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,21648,,30

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 09-26-2007 @ 07:31 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03 February 2007 08:10 AM EDT (US)     1 / 69  
do we have to make the celts leprechauns? the IRISH not the CELTS founded myths about leprechauns. and i have an old celtic project from school if that'll help.

I don't think Merlin and Arthur were celtic or from the celts time.

A ceasfire wouldn't be the liking of the celts who loved warfare.

Banshees and Gargoyles are celtic?

[This message has been edited by AmazingFerret (edited 02-03-2007 @ 08:15 AM).]

posted 03 February 2007 09:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 69  
I suggested a leprechaun rainbow ,for prosperity, not leprechaun myth units. The Irish are Celts along with the Scots, Welsh, Cornish & Bretons, as was Arthur& Merlin etc
http://www.timelessmyths.com/arthurian/arthur.html#RealArthurhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee
During the 1200's when gargoyles first appeared (and at many other times), the Roman Catholic Church was actively involved in converting people of other faiths to the Catholic, often very keenly indeed (as the Christian but non-Catholic Cathars could testify). The argument for decorated gargoyles runs as follows. Since literacy was generally not an option for most people, images were very important. Since the religious images (if any) that non-Christians were accustomed to were of animals or mixtures of animals and humans (e.g. the horned god, the Green Man), then putting similar images on churches and cathedrals would encourage non-Catholics to join the religion and go to church, or at least make them feel more comfortable about it, or at least ease the transition.

This argument has reasonable grounds if you think about some of the other accomodations the Christian (not just Catholic) church has made, such as fixing the birth of Christ at around the winter solstice to fit in with existing pagan celebrations. Even the Romans made similar adaptations, e.g. in Britain the Celtic goddess Suli worshipped at modern day Bath bore a remarkable resemblance to the Roman goddess Minerva. Rather than replace Suli and upset the locals, both were incorporated into and revered in the Roman baths there. It's amazing how flexible an established church can be if it needs to be - pagan images? no problem if it puts bums on seats
Thus while gargoyles may not have strictly been Celtic ,they're better than leprechauns

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 09-23-2007 @ 10:37 AM).]

posted 03 February 2007 10:42 AM EDT (US)     3 / 69  
ok i believe u now but u should still edit some bits and pieces.

1st of all and possibly the most important of them all is that Age of mythology is basicly civilizations, not Empires/kingdoms/Countries. That is why the Norse is more of the Civilization Norse then the Countries of the Vikings.

Also notice the difference in names. Norse means Civilization Vikings and Vikings/Normans/Northmen are the people and countries of Scandinavia.

ths is startiong to get confusing but my point is that we want the Civilization Celts not the Countries/kingdoms of the Celts. More Clearly we want the celts from the time when the occupied lands from ireland and Iberia to Anatolia and Russia.

The celts who u speak of are medieval time celts.
(lol i put the last few paragraphs into 1 sentence just there)

posted 03 February 2007 04:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 69  
They ought to make the new game, AoM II or whatever, based on the mythology of the Middle Ages, to make it sort of linear, e.g. the Celts, the Hindus, various Mesoamerican societies. There's more than enough material out there, if someone could just compile it and get ES to make a new game with AoM gameplay and comparable-to-AoE3 graphics, it would be a huge success, both for us players and the manufacturers.

Darth Nidhogg

Bitchesssssssssss

I consider that just fine for a sig since I've seen people with "Penis" et cetera.
posted 03 February 2007 04:49 PM EDT (US)     5 / 69  
If they did that then they'd make a new game based on middle ages then they will make an entirely new game all together or change the name to Age of Cultures or Age of Civilizations or something. cause middle ages wouldn't be like age of mythology.

but ur right they should make a new game with all those civs, at least Persia, Celts and Carthage need to be added, any other Mesopotamian civ, India, and Mongolians could be added.

posted 03 February 2007 06:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 69  
q-1st of all and possibly the most important of them all is that Age of mythology is basicly civilizations
It's about mythologies. The civs should be called tribes, civilization implies civilized behaviour, not warring.
I know that during the time of AoM the celts were a loose confederation of tribes stretching from Ireland to Galatia (Turkey), beginning in the Danube area, thus Danu ,their main godess.
q-They ought to make the new game, AoM II or whatever, based on the mythology of the Middle Ages
By the Middle Ages polytheistic mythologies had been replaced by monotheistic Christianity with some ancient gods eg Brigid being made saints.
posted 03 February 2007 06:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 69  
1. The celts were never a unified nation, but they were all similar in some way. Which is what they would base a game off of.

2. u said it yourself. gods like Brigid became saints. Although this happened more in the norselands then in the Celtic lands.

posted 05 February 2007 05:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 69  
[i

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 09-27-2007 @ 02:07 AM).]

posted 07 March 2007 04:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 69  
1 the Celts did not include the english

2 the english were the ones that used the long-bows not the celts

3 even if, by some twisted logic you included the english in the Celts then the longbow was not invented till the middle ages

4 get rid of the long-bow

5 spell Cerunnos right

6 other than the above this might be good but it needs work

I am nobody.
Nobody is perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

posted 07 March 2007 05:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 69  
1-The British Celts were Britons, Caledons, Cymru, & Irish. The English (Angles) were a German tribe who invaded Britain after the fall of the Roman Empire c400 AD.
2,3 & 4- The longbow was a Welsh (Cymru) invention, admittedly after Christianity, but its a fantasy game with some allowance for artistic license.
5-Ancient Gaulish and British deities (wiki)
Male
* Abandinus
* Abellio
* Alaunus
* Alisanos
* Ambisagrus
* Anextiomarus
* Atepomarus
* Arvernus
* Arausio
* Barinthus
* Belatu-Cadros
* Belenus
* Borvo
* Buxenus
* Camulos
* Caturix
* Canetonnessis
* Cernunnos

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 03-07-2007 @ 05:20 AM).]

posted 07 March 2007 06:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 69  
Animal sight, double length ceasefire, 'plenty vault' from DANU, Great breeding, Radiance.. prolly a lot more are seriously OP and need to be re-thought.

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 07 March 2007 06:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 69  
^All modified or replaced.
Criticism of a work-in -progress, without any constructive suggestions. Helpful bunch, ain'tya?

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 03-11-2007 @ 06:59 PM).]

posted 07 March 2007 06:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 69  
Well... Perhaps more original ideas for god powers? I really don't have much idea of celt mythology though.

eg. Truce/Double ceasefire way too overpowered, and besides if you cut it down to what the Greek ceasefire is, than you loose originality...

Great breeding is kinda like Odin's GP... quadruple herd with full fattening is really, really far too overpowered, I'm not really sure how you would make this one more original, you might need to rethink it totally like the one before.

Radiance - Quadruples harvest- OP version of rain... Not really that original...

Hunting god- GP- Animal Sight- briefly shows all non-military animals. This GP is really really OP two, much of the map will be scouted for you, and you know where all the hunting is from the start of the game...

Can convert enemy into sacrificial
prisoners at same speed as Set priests convert animals. This is a very slow rate, expect your druids to be dead before halfway... might make them a good meatshield though.

Military unit-Archers converted from villagers at cost like Ulfsarks: Villagers to ulfsarks is pretty uneconomical, especially if you want to do it so early...

GP-Tidal Wave - What happens if it is a map like Oasis?

Well there is my breif feedback I am at a bit of a mental block :P. I might come up with things tomorrow...

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 07 March 2007 07:14 AM EDT (US)     14 / 69  
Fully original GPs are the hardest to conceive IMO. Imagination was never my forte. I'm willing to change them immediately for better suggestions.
Truce doublelength coz its next age up from Greek.
Druid conversion & Tdal wave- see edit.
Classical ranged human unit -Carpentom chariot javelinner, so the villager/archer conversion is for emergencies only, just like ulfsarks, or when easily affordable in later ages.
Danu's Leprechaun Rainbow only equals Plenty Vault if activated in Mythic Age. If used in Archaic it has 1/8 value etc. Could have potential & modifying.

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 03-07-2007 @ 07:25 AM).]

posted 07 March 2007 11:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 69  

Quote:

1 the Celts did not include the english

Thats because there wasn't a nation known as "England" until about the 10/11th century. Up until then it was just petty kingdoms such as Anglo-Saxons, and Mercians(sp?), and of course the remnants of the Roman Occupation. Briton was a land mass with hundreds, if not thousands of different Celtic tribes.

The longbow was a welsh invention. They uses it to awesome effect owning our asses while we were trying to conquer them. Eventually we beat them and stole their idea.

Anad actually the longbow was being used as early as 700 AD. This isn't really the middle ages.

The trojan idea is brilliant imo. Apart from the fact that they shared the greek mythology (for the most part). Having Pikemen and stuff is a good idea. I dunno about the camel archers though. Did they have camels in Troy? Also, they should get much stonger archers. Eveery abl bodied man was trained to use a bow to devastating effect. Thats they they never got conquered. Until the Trojan war, obviously.

Perhaps the Mongols could be used? I don't know much about their mythology, so I won't go into details. Or maybe the Huns?

[This message has been edited by BrightBlueEyes (edited 03-07-2007 @ 02:14 PM).]

posted 07 March 2007 12:01 PM EDT (US)     16 / 69  
the Celts were essentially the "barbarian" as the Romans called them, tribes of the north and west that were separate from the Teutons (germans) and Scandinavians. The modern celtic regions are Brittany, Cornwall, Ireland, Isle of Man, Scotland and Wales. The Celts of Gaul, Iberia, Brittany and Belgium were all the victim of germanic invaders and pushed back/absorbed their language and culture from mainland europe in particular. The saxons weren't celtic but german and took over nearly all of England pushing back their celtic rivals very far until the Scandinavian vikings invaded england and pushed the Saxons to the breaking point for a period of time until Wessex regained control.

Another prominent Celtic symbol is of course.. the druid. Celts chiefly inhabited Gaul (modern france), British Isle, Northern Italy, and central europe.

I think perhaps the English Longbow is wee bit too late in history to go into AoM2

King Arthur was indeed a Celtic hero, though the story itself and some characters are thought to draw influences from Saxons and Norsemen.

Really i would love an AoM2 and have long thought the Celts would be a good addition. Maybe more than one campaign. Greece is bent on conquering asia - enter eastern mythologies. Atlanteans sail to America and build a sky passage for easy access. Natives think they're invaders - enter their mythology. Norsemen and Celts battle it out. Maybe even a fledgling Roman empire

The middle ages were a time when amebic dysentary was considered the good kind of dysentary
posted 07 March 2007 12:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 69  
Skystrider's link, on AoE3 forum ffs
Civ Plans by Me- from Ainu to Zulu
Ainu Zulu Lore Age of the Ęsir Java
Etruscans Slavs Norse Persians Welsh
Hittites Iroquois Koreans Minoans Mongols
Spanish
Download the Celts! A new civilization mod for Age of Mythology. Or the Slavs!
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=sp&un=skystrider
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,21648,,30
#

IDEAS FOR CIVILIZATIONS WITHIN AGE OF MYTHOLOGY

Civilizations being designed at the moment

# Sioux (by Hiawatha II)
# Polynesians (by Lord Iarune)

Current civilizations
  • Aborigines (by Yamato Take)
  • AKS (by Mash_Kig_Sima)
  • Ainu (by skystrider)
  • Atlanteans (by Empror)
  • Aztecs (by Compa_Mighty, Rodya_255 and Zalpacuiztli)
  • Babylonians (by SilentScreams)
  • Carthaginians (by Yamato Take)
  • Celts (by SilentScreams)
  • Celts (by chosenone)
  • Chinese (by Natus)
  • Egyptians (by Empror)
  • Etruscans (by skystrider)
  • Filipino (by Yamato Take)
  • Finns (by Yamato Take)
  • Hawaiians (by skystrider)
  • Hebrew (by chosenone)
  • Hi'anger (by Mad Jacks)
  • Hindus (by Thot_Celay)
  • Hittite (by skystrider)
  • Inca (by GoForGoldenJarls)
  • Indians (by chosenone)
  • Inuit (by Yamato Take)
  • Iroquois (by skystrider)
  • Japanese (by Sp3ctre)
  • Japanese (by Zappos)
  • Japanese (by chosenone)
  • Java (by skystrider)
  • Koreans (by skystrider)
  • Maori (by ScreamingHippo)
  • Mayans (by Underpants Man)
  • Minoans (by skystrider)
  • Mongols (by skystrider)
  • Native Americans (by Yamato Take)
  • Norse (by skystrider)
  • Nubians (by Yamato Take)
  • Persians (by skystrider)
  • Romans (by Theris264)
  • Slavs (by Mahdi)
  • Slavs (by skystrider)
  • Sumerians (by just_attack)
  • Taino (by Yamato Take)
  • The Valar (by Yooda)
  • Tibetans (by Yamato Take)
  • Tupi-Guarani (by TatsuEnguia)
  • Vanir (by TheJohnmeister)
  • Welsh (by skystrider)
  • Zulu (by skystrider)

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 09-16-2007 @ 07:59 PM).]

• posted 07 March 2007 09:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 69  
    omg will you people stop with this seriously, u really think a bunch of no names like you guys are gonna convince ES to include a stupid civ that doesn't even fall within the timeline of ancient greeks.
    posted 07 March 2007 09:30 PM EDT (US)     19 / 69  
    The ancient Greeks fought the Celts, but not the Norse. Learn some history.http://members.aol.com/skyelander/celts4.html
    Even "no names" are allowed some well researched wishful thinking, even if its never fully realized. Cheery bugger, ain'tya?
    "Some see things that are & ask 'Why?'. I dream of things that never were, & ask 'Why not?'." JFK.

[This message has been edited by gadunnz (edited 03-09-2007 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 08 March 2007 11:52 AM EDT (US)     20 / 69  
    I don't think any of us are trying to convince ES to do anything. Not here anyway. Maybe some folks with some sharp ideas can go ahead and contact them for that. But then again, i doubt anything we think of here hasn't been considered by the AoM creators already, of course there's always the chance. I for one just enjoy thinking of what-ifs of civs that COULD be in an AoM2, and thinking of ways how they might be implemented.

The middle ages were a time when amebic dysentary was considered the good kind of dysentary
    posted 08 March 2007 12:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 69  

Quote:

# Hebrew (by chosenone)

Why would you put a civ in a game that had only 1 major god, and no minor gods at all? Also there would be no Myth units OR Military units, considering there was no such thing as a Hebrew army until Israel was given to the Jews.

posted 08 March 2007 03:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69  
    aggree with BrightBlueEyes, Hebrew civ? although you could use MUs (angels and such),and have spectacular GPs like the Eggies do. Par example, an archaic gp could be one like Poseidon's, only it would draw sheep eclusively (as Hebrews were historically sheep-goat herders). In upper levels, perhaps we could see gps transforming terrain (parting water=trigger that makes a water area become land and back again to trap enemies!!!), or more spectacular things. But again, it's really not something great and most recommended gps would unbalance the game.
    IMO, the game AoM (expansion?) should have just 1 civ (yeah, that's right), and the god path choosing would provide the needed differentiation, but you should have a wide range to choose from. It could have a setting of pre-historic times, and lots of magical powers. Lots of hand to hand fighting and slow training times for archers and slingers and cavalry should be scant.
    One thing that surprised me in AoM, was the lack of the Berserker in the Norse civs, a unit with many hps, high attack, but low armour, that could produce an Einerjar effect. This is the stuff that I'm talking about, but of course non of this is ever going to materialize, so I stop writing here.

regards

the Elder
    "imagination is more important than knowledge."
    Albert Einstein
    posted 09 March 2007 07:54 AM EDT (US)     23 / 69  
    Berserker's in Vikings AoE2. Probably trying to avoid replication.
    posted 10 March 2007 05:11 AM EDT (US)     24 / 69  
    A conversion for Age Of Mythology could quite possibly be Rome/Celt/Persian. Rome already has most of their units from Greeks and Atlanteans, the Celts could be mostly Nord based and Persians could be mostly Egyptian (elephants, spearmen etc.) with some Greek Cavalry units.
    posted 10 March 2007 05:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 69  
    Bugger conversions. We want more civs.
    posted 10 March 2007 10:18 AM EDT (US)     26 / 69  
    I agree, but that's harder to do I guess.
    posted 10 March 2007 10:25 AM EDT (US)     27 / 69  
    what about carthage?
    posted 10 March 2007 11:58 AM EDT (US)     28 / 69  
    North African descendants of Phonecians. You come up with a distinctive mythology & military, & you'll impress us all.
    posted 10 March 2007 03:51 PM EDT (US)     29 / 69  
    i can if i wanted to, but it would consist of some pheonican, numidean and berbers military, mythology, and economy.

Edit: as well as Roman, Greek to.

[This message has been edited by AmazingFerret (edited 03-10-2007 @ 03:54 PM).]

posted 10 March 2007 05:29 PM EDT (US)     30 / 69  
    The only thing stopping you is your lack of effort.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » New civ ideas (so we don't need to go to aoe3 forum)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames